Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,963 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? (31039 Views)

How Much Is Your Current Salary? / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage? / Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Coolgent(m): 11:15pm On Oct 11, 2019
cashcity:
It is no longer news that Nigerian government just passed the bill to increase minimum wage from N18, 000 to N30, 000.

I'm currently employed in one of our country's ministry agency 2yrs ago at level 8 on a salary of about N121, 000 per month.

My fellow nairalanders please help me to understand the modalities in the calculations and how the minimum wage increment is going to affect my current salary..
If Labour accept FG increment of 11% to level 7 to 14 your salary will be 134,300

1 Like

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by cijero26(m): 12:24am On Oct 12, 2019
U are being paid N121,000 at level 8 while some on level 9 at Federal Polytechnic Unwana gets N115,090. Both are federal government how come. Are Federal Polytechnic Unwana short paid?

1 Like

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Tegaguru(m): 12:45am On Oct 12, 2019
11thGoldTREE:
I have been wondering too. But with all the increment in VAT it's turning out to be a waste of time

Very True Boss
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by General113: 1:24am On Oct 12, 2019
rottennaija:

Which ministry is that in Nigeria that will pay you 120k for level 8? No Ministry, Agency pay that much
dnt say no if u dnt knw. Go and check there is

1 Like

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Fearcom(m): 6:08am On Oct 12, 2019
maynation:

Why do you people like posting trash and what you have no idea of?

I swear before man and God, I am level 8 and my take home is 121k. In one if the ministries you listed there. I don't have to reveal much.

Don't mind them. On 12 Mine is almost 200k

3 Likes

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by maynation(f): 6:22am On Oct 12, 2019
respect80:

What do you mean by trash? If you wish to make a point, you are very much free to make your point without necessarily making use of vulgar language in your reply. I'm rather much surprised that someone in your degree of mental capacity could still lack common social interracial knowledge...
Be a little more polite when you interact with people especially when their opinion does not affect you directly.
If you are sure of what you said, I could still review the source of my information and use the info you gave as a reference point.
Cheers

Okay I am sorry I sounded so rude but seriously I hate when people tend to affirmatively say something they have no idea of.
You could have just rather shown readers a tip of your uncertainty and not post like you were so sure.
Anyways, I apologized already I was rude and I am deeply sorry.
Nigerian working grades 'isn't' a joke, we are not being short paid. At least if not for every Nigerian but to me and my numerous colleagues.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by maynation(f): 6:29am On Oct 12, 2019
Olumyyde:

U don't have to swear, we in d federal agencies know these things. No need to talk much.

Thank you joor Mr Olumide.

I had to swear because it was now looking as if the whole thing was a sham.

For some few seconds I felt I was being paid two people's salary since most people seem to find 121k salary strange.

Anyways, we do know indeed and no need to talk much.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by pluto09(m): 6:37am On Oct 12, 2019
byesense105:
I am so sorry my friend for the response of our brothers and sisters, it is quite unfortunate people would rather speak ill than just walk away from a conversation they are not conversant with. Let me see if i can help you. sorry it might be lengthy;

1. Salary review and minimum wage are two different things, although they are carried out simultaneously
2. Minimum wage is the minimum a worker must be paid according to the law. Government is suppose to review the minimum wage every 5years taking into consideration inflation, cost of living,etc
3. Therefore, as you increase the minimum wage, you must review the salary of those who earn above the minimum wage, otherwise, you will be cheating them
4. What the government has signed into law is a 'minimum wage' of 30,000 naira. A 66.7% increment from the initial 18,000.
5. That doesn't mean workers like you get 66.7 % increment, because you earn way above the minimum wage.
6. What government and labour is now haggling is what percentage people like you will earn.
7. The increment is not always the same across board... Take below for example;

Level 8 - Level 10 = 20%
Level 11 - Level 14 = 15%
Level 15 Level 17 = 10%

Note: These are estimates, they are not the actual figures. What the government has confirmed as of today is;
Level 1 - Level 7 = 66.7%
And i understand this is being paid already

8 Therefore, if it goes just as presumed above, you will get an increment of 20% which amounts to 145,200 per month, taking into consideration your current pay.

9. Situation as at today; government has started paying level 1 - level 7 an increment of 66.7%,, but labour and government are yet to decide on what percentage those above level 7 will earn.

10. The next meeting is to hold on the 15th of october, and if there is no resolution, Labour has vowed to embark on a strike from the 17th of october

I hope you will find this helpful and i hope u guys get a reasonable increment......

All the best

The government has not started paying everybody on level 1--7 an increment of 66.7%.
What they are doing now is to pay people who were earning less than 30k before some amount that will take their salary above 30k and the question is how many people working with federal government were earning less than 30k before.

The government is playing politics with the new minimum wage and labour is already on the loosing side.

2 Likes

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by respect80(m): 6:39am On Oct 12, 2019
maynation:

Okay I am sorry I sounded so rude but seriously I hate when people tend to affirmatively say something they have no idea of.
You could have just rather shown readers a tip of your uncertainty and not post like you were so sure.
Anyways, I apologized already I was rude and I am deeply sorry.
Nigerian working grades 'isn't' a joke, we are not being short paid. At least if not for every Nigerian but to me and my numerous colleagues.
Thank you.

You're always welcome and I must say you're right about the bolded in your comment.
The thing is, I have met at least one or two persons from most of those agencies on level 8 step 2 especially while I was job hunting before I got something little to manage and they hardly agreed to receive upto 120k but what do I know, Nigerians are funny people especially when it involves money discussions so I'm happy to know you are in the system and admits such.

Well, I'm a very ambitious young man who sees every level I am as a starting point and where I currently work now is just to help keep the soul and body going so I will keep aspiring to get a job at that level because with what state governments are doing, I'm not even even thinking towards getting a state job at all.
If I must go into any business in future, I have to secure my future by getting a federal job first.
I wish u more success in your endeavors...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by maynation(f): 6:48am On Oct 12, 2019
respect80:

You're always welcome and I must say you're right about the bolded in your comment.
The thing is, I have met at least one or two persons from most of those agencies on level 8 step 2 especially while I was job hunting before I got something little to manage and they hardly agreed to receive upto 120k but what do I know, Nigerians are funny people especially when it involves money discussions so I'm happy to know you are in the system and admits such.

Well, I'm a very ambitious young who sees every level I am as a starting point and where I currently work now is just to help keep the soul and body going so I will keep aspiring to get a job at that level because with what state governments are doing, I'm not even even thinking towards getting a state job at all.
If I must go into any business in future, I have to secure my future by getting a federal job first.
I wish u more success in your endeavors...

Yeah sir, it is true.
State workers are really being short paid but I think it is so in most climes. Both State and federal workers hardly ever get the same pay just that the difference is too loud and much here in Nigeria. I wish that could be amended soon though.

And not all federal jobs pay this much too, I have a friend that works with NIMC and she earns a little above #54 a month. It all depends on the sect we lucky to find ourselves.
Anyways, I wish you the best in your endeavors too.
Have a good day.

1 Like

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by pluto09(m): 6:58am On Oct 12, 2019
pluto09:

The government has not started paying everybody on level 1--7 an increment of 66.7%.
What they are doing now is to pay people who were earning less than 30k before some amount that will take their salary above 30k and the question is how many people working with federal government were earning less than 30k before.

The government is playing politics with the new minimum wage and labour is already on the loosing side.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://saharareporters.com/2019/07/17/buhari-orders-payment-minimum-wage-says-no-increase-workers-earning-n30000-and-above&ved=2ahUKEwiNw4G7gZblAhXQiFwKHamkAdQQFjARegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3GkoUg6zm0gfFyWQRTbAfD&cshid=1570859360382
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by respect80(m): 7:02am On Oct 12, 2019
maynation:

Yeah sir, it is true.
State workers are really being short paid but I think it is so in most climes. Both State and federal workers hardly ever get the same pay just that the difference is too loud and much here in Nigeria. I wish that could be amended soon though.

And not all federal jobs pay this much too, I have a friend that works with NIMC and she earns a little above #54 a month. It all depends on the sect we lucky to find ourselves.
Anyways, I wish you the best in your endeavors too.
Have a good day.

The issue with state isn't just about short-payment alone but no payment at all.

Imagine a state government owing its workers between 3 - 26 months salary.
Some pay in percentage. Imagine paying someone who is earning less than 80k 40% or 55% of his salary in this economy.
Also when month ends, you could be waiting for like 2 weeks into the new month before getting the previous month salary.
Finally, after all the tussle and hustle and you finally retire, getting your retirement benefits becomes a problem and if you do not have anything tangible on ground to rely on, frustration and depression immediately sets in and that's why most retirees die few years after retirement.
All these are things I wouldn't like to settle for.
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by maynation(f): 7:07am On Oct 12, 2019
respect80:

The issue with state isn't just about short-payment alone but no payment at all.

Imagine a state government owing its workers between 3 - 26 months salary.
Some pay in percentage. Imagine paying someone who is earning less than 80k 40% or 55% of his salary in this economy.
Also when month ends, you could be waiting for like 2 weeks into the new month before getting the previous month salary.
Finally, after all the tussle and hustle and you finally retire, getting your retirement benefits becomes a problem and if you do not have anything tangible on ground to rely on, frustration and depression immediately sets in and that's why most retirees die few years after retirement.
All these are things I wouldn't like to settle for.

Mehn. These are true.

I am sorry for state workers honestly.
My mum is one of them though but glad she has been into business long before now.

Honestly, these are really not worth settling for.

1 Like

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by respect80(m): 7:15am On Oct 12, 2019
maynation:

Mehn. These are true.

I am sorry for state workers honestly.
My mum is one of them though but glad she has been into business long before now.

Honestly, these are really not worth settling for.

Same with my dad, if not for the fact he relied on his competence and professionalism in his field, things would definitely have gone south because he retired at a time when I and my immediate younger brother were in higher institution.
Thanks to the fact that he isn't the type who relies on salary from the on set but no thanks to the state government cos it's been 8 years now and he hasn't gotten his retirement benefits yet.

1 Like

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by JB4life: 7:20am On Oct 12, 2019
rottennaija:

Which ministry is that in Nigeria that will pay you 120k for level 8? No Ministry, Agency pay that much
I wonder oooooo.
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Dreadful: 8:53am On Oct 12, 2019
seunmsg:

Government is proposing 11% consequential adjustment for workers on grade level 7-14. If labour accepts the offer eventually, your current N121,000 will be increased by 11%. You can do the maths. Cheers!
A shitty amount will be added ohhh.. There's nothing in the wage ohh
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Donpenny(m): 9:40am On Oct 12, 2019
respect80:

What exactly is being twisted here, or you're just being enthusiastic to use that English?

BTW, I don't work in any of those agencies but don't forget it's not everyone who eats mango that goes under a mango tree.

Remember I said I have never seen, or at least those I have met in that category have confirmed to be earning below 120k so if you have seen or work there and earn up to 120k as a level 8 step 2, feel free to share your thoughts pls. Don't make it look like we're here to compete on social or employment status
you really sound aggressive in your response and the fact that you haven't seen it doesn't mean is not true so get it into your myopic mind they earn up to that even above including pension and other allowance. Am currently working with an agency under that ministry and my starting salary then when I joined as a level 8 step two officer is beyond 121k including pension . if you doubt it make your research
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by akaahs(m): 9:47am On Oct 12, 2019
rottennaija:

Even me, just wondering which ministry pays that much but on another thought he might be true because there are ministry ND agencies that their peculiar allowance is higher than others.
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by respect80(m): 9:48am On Oct 12, 2019
Donpenny:
you really sound aggressive in your write and the fact that you haven't seen it doesn't mean is not true so get it into your myopic mind they earn up to that even above including pension and other allowance. Am currently working with an agency under that ministry and my starting salary then when I joined as a level 8 step two officer is beyond 121k including pension . if you doubt it make your research

Aggressive?
There's must have been a new meaning to the word "aggressive" which I'm yet to know cos I don't see anything aggressive about my submission so I would implore you to choose your words carefully.

BTW, if you have such point to make, you should have rather gone straight to make your point than assuming I was getting something twisted about the topic cos I stand to gain nothing from doing that.
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Innobee99(m): 10:06am On Oct 12, 2019
rottennaija:

They pay bro... Government jab is the best. Am a living testimony

1 Like

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by GoldenJulius(m): 10:32am On Oct 12, 2019
Innobee99:
Not all government job sir, do proper findings.
Government job are in categories, we have commissions, agencies and ministries.
Level 8 worker salary at NCC can't be compare to that of level 8 worker at ministries.
A level 8 worker in any ministry is not above 55k
Agencies earn higher same as commissions
Guess the OP refers to one the independent commissions like CBN, FIRS, NCC, DPR, etc
Paramilitaries and police pays better too

2 Likes

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by rottennaija(m): 11:05am On Oct 12, 2019
Innobee99:

Which ministry?
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by elisha4gabriel(m): 11:27am On Oct 12, 2019
you mistook salary with salary plus allowances. what made up to that amount is allowances
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 12, 2019
Those of you saying no ministry pay as much as 120k have no knowledge of what you are saying affirmatively. All paramilitaries earn 120k at level 8 step 2 which is the start pay as a degree holder. And most of them are under ministry of interior. So y'all should stop defending what you have no idea of. Federal government doesn't pay the same salary across all ministry, agency, commission and doesn't pay the same with state. Get your fact right, she's not telling lies.
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by kayroc: 1:02pm On Oct 12, 2019
GoldenJulius:

Not all government job sir, do proper findings.
Government job are in categories, we have commissions, agencies and ministries.
Level 8 worker salary at NCC can't be compare to that of level 8 worker at ministries.
A level 8 worker in any ministry is not above 55k
Agencies earn higher same as commissions
Guess the OP refers to one the independent commissions like CBN, FIRS, NCC, DPR, etc
Paramilitaries and police pays better too

Pls is federal job slot still going for 850k?
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Olumyyde(m): 3:09pm On Oct 12, 2019
maynation:

Thank you joor Mr Olumide.

I had to swear because it was now looking as if the whole thing was a sham.

For some few seconds I felt I was being paid two people's salary since most people seem to find 121k salary strange.

Anyways, we do know indeed and no need to talk much.
Exactly, I can't make so much noise on a thing I know little or nothing about. Happy weekend jare.

1 Like

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by GoldenJulius(m): 6:02pm On Oct 12, 2019
kayroc:

Pls is federal job slot still going for 850k?
Baba i no buy slot oo
I no sabi about am
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by kayroc: 7:26pm On Oct 12, 2019
GoldenJulius:

Baba i no buy slot oo
I no sabi about am

Ok thank you.

1 Like

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Chrisomtara(f): 9:42pm On Oct 12, 2019
cashcity:
It is no longer news that Nigerian government just passed the bill to increase minimum wage from N18, 000 to N30, 000.

I'm currently employed in one of our country's ministry agency 2yrs ago at level 8 on a salary of about N121, 000 per month.

My fellow nairalanders please help me to understand the modalities in the calculations and how the minimum wage increment is going to affect my current salary..

120k my foot...As if no civil servant here again...who you dey deceive?
Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Oct 12, 2019
Chrisomtara:

120k my foot...As if no civil servant here again...who you dey deceive?
you don't know what you are saying Madam. Ask questions if you don't know. You should have ask where she's working

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Kenjoseph12: 2:05am On Oct 13, 2019
Trustenable Nigeria limited is a diversifield company into Real Estate and Autos. Trustenable Nigeria Limited is a registered company with cac, the company is diversified into : Trustenable Real estate : We're broker in Real Estate Deals that enable you own quality Real Estate Properties, all set in serene and pleasing environments designed to embed peace, good health, happiness. Trustenable Autos : buying your next car with Us is the best decision you can ever make , we can help you pre-order too. Trustenable Nigeria limited is one of Nigeria's fastest growing company with their head office in Lagos , Nigeria . Founder/CEO is Itive Elvis Ovie . Address : Ajiwe , Ajah , Lagos. Telephone : 08118050111.'

Re: How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? by Olumyyde(m): 12:45pm On Oct 13, 2019
Kaeboy:
you don't know what you are saying Madam. Ask questions if you don't know. You should have ask where she's working
Exactly o, if u don't know u don't know that some entry level staff in some federal agencies take about 150k home monthly. Ask questions and improve your knowledge.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

9 Skills That Will Boost Your CV And Make You Get A Job Faster / Corporals That Beat Their Superior In Lagos, Demoted / 6 Careers That Will Be Extinct In 10 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.