Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

400k Salary, but nothing. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 400k Salary, but nothing. (31809 Views)

A 100k Monthly Salary In Nigeria Is Better Than A 400k Monthly Salary In USA / 82K Monthly Salary But Confused On How To Go About Saving Something / Peace Corps Not Getting Any Salary But Are Paying Over N45,000 To Join, In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

400k Salary, but nothing. by Duyt1798: 8:26pm On Jan 10
Hi guys!

I hope this my post gets to the FP, so I can get insights from a wider audience; even I know some might not make sense, but one thing I've learnt from the short time I joined this platform, is that - sense dey inside nonsense.

Pardon me, my write fit dey a bit lengthy.

I currently work with a multi-national startup coy. My net pay is a bit above 400k naira (this's at the moment), I've worked for about 2 years. I'm married with two kids and expecting the third.

Now my dilemma is that, I've not been able to save up funds, I feel like my living condition doesn't reflect what I earn. Shingbai like this, I no get for account. The last I could remember, I go deep hand for forex, e nearly give me hypertension (I lost about 2m). I still dey pay debt wey I incur as a result.

Now where I need assistance is, looking at the amount I'm earning, how do I spend? Please for those that will be kind enough to give suggestions, let it practically explained, as in help me break am down to the amount wey I suppose spend, how I suppose spend am, and wetin I suppose save.

I believe say many family people dey here wey get better experiences.

Thanks 🙏.

51 Likes 10 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Skyfornia(m): 9:01pm On Jan 10
Honestly...400k a month with two kids and a wife..even expecting another baby? That money won't be anywhere enough to carter for 4 people. If your wife is not working, I suggest you look for fund and set up a business for her to argument your present income.

197 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by LagBlogger(m): 9:05pm On Jan 10
Cost of living plus family responsibilities will make your 400k per month feel like 30k per month.

I don't know what your plans are but if you can find a way to reduce house rent and school fees cost you might be able to save something.

My wife had a friend whose husband was on 60k per month salary in 2015, somehow he managed to save and buy land, started doing uber part time then later resigned his job and faced Uber fully and was able to save to build the house they are living in now.

He moved to Canada in 2022 and she joined him last year with their daughter.

I think their game plan was to set a target e.g buy land, build house, travel abroad, start side hustle and save as if their life depends on it to achieve that target.

Try and set goals then work on those goals as if your life depends on achieving it. It may work, it may not. Just my 2 cents.

294 Likes 22 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by chrisifeanyi: 9:21pm On Jan 10
The truth is that the money is not enough for a family of 4 expecting the fifth member.
However, careful planning will make you to have good savings.
I earn far less but I have good savings.
Learn to be buying foodstuffs in bulk. By doing that you will be saving a lot. Food stuffs of 200k can last for two months, you will save the next salary and next time you will be restocking, you won't spend up to that amount. Don't put money on things you are not sure of. If you are gambling stop.
With that you can have good savings.

132 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by theophorus(m): 9:21pm On Jan 10
400k and you dey chop am finish?

Guy, begin assume say na 200k you dey commot eye for the remaining 200k make you dey save am and begin plan on better Investment no be those Forex/Crypto ooo.

Because, this Weather no really stable ooo.

117 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by adesegun121(m): 9:21pm On Jan 10
Boya
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Vijuchoco(f): 9:22pm On Jan 10
Interesting.. I'm here to learn..
I earn about 32% of that and I'm still not able to save properly not to talk of you. It's well

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by owiko(m): 9:22pm On Jan 10
D
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by AchrafHakimi: 9:22pm On Jan 10
Married men are simps walahi that's why women love them. Girls chase married men because they know they are weak, dumb and easily manipulated.

It takes a certain level of fear to make a man give up his life for a woman.

Tufiakwa!!

47 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by B3sty(m): 9:22pm On Jan 10
Lucky you

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Lifeinlight: 9:22pm On Jan 10
Life no balance
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by callmevirus(m): 9:23pm On Jan 10
Nothing concern me but E dey mind

You dey try

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by MajorOvakporaye(f): 9:23pm On Jan 10
You are just extravagant. There are many people receiving far less than you but they coordinate pass you sef

106 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:23pm On Jan 10
Make I read dey sip my water abeg, more comments please

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by julybaba(m): 9:23pm On Jan 10
Salary is never enough, you will need another source of income to augment since you are the sole breadwinner ( I assume).

The way out is to discuss with your partner and start pursuing a valuable project together , (land, house, education etc).

If you have something to use money for, you will spend wisely and know how to avoid unnecessary wastages and bills.

Be deliberate.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by nicho450(m): 9:23pm On Jan 10
LagBlogger:
Cost of living plus family responsibilities will make your 400k per month feel like 30k per month.

I don't know what your plans are but if you can find a way to reduce house rent and school fees cost you might be able to save something.

My wife had a friend whose husband was on 60k per month salary in 2015, somehow he managed to save and buy land, started doing uber part time then later resigned his job and faced Uber fully and was able to save to build the house they are living in now.

He moved to Canada in 2022 and she joined him last year with their daughter.

I think their game plan was to set a target e.g buy land, build house, travel abroad, start side hustle and save as if their life depends on it to achieve that target.

Try and set goals then work on those goals as if your life depends on achieving it. It may work, it may not. Just my 2 cents.

Now that they are in Canada, how about the house?

4 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by tetralogyfallot(m): 9:23pm On Jan 10
Depending on your location sha o but here in the northern part of the country excluding abj, with 400k u will live like a king n still save. You just have to cut down on your spendings n imbibe some austerity measures. Don't eat outside, buy your needs in bulk on monthly basis. Reduce unnecessary outings, if u drink, reduce it to the bearest minimum, women are natural spenders, in most times pretend to your wife that you don't have much, u may even tell her that because of the economic situation there's 100k paycut in your salary. Join monthly contribution with your friends and make sure u r the last person to collect. If u subscribe DStv premium, downgrade to DStv compact, na still big men dey subscribe compact. If u fuel your generator, try get a small solar set up though it may be expensive to install at first but trust me, it will save you a lot of money at the long run. Abeg night don do, make I go sleep.

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by kelvyn7: 9:24pm On Jan 10
Rule 1 - pay yourself first (10% at least), into a separate account, without atm card, nothing in this world makes me touch that amount. Do this every month

Rule 2 - if your 3months salary(max) cannot pay your rent, then you are living above your means 😉

87 Likes 18 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Ahnii(f): 9:25pm On Jan 10
I beg to disagree with you sir That money if properly managed he can still save like 50-100k monthly.
Skyfornia:
Honestly...400k a month with two kids and a wife..even expecting another baby? That money won't be anywhere enough to carter for 4 people. If your wife is not working, I suggest you look for fund and set up a business for her to argument your present income.
I started life with my husband with his meagre salary of 37k and he was still saving 10k monthly.

70 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Izuchukwu70: 9:25pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

I hope this my post gets to the FP, so I can get insights from a wider audience; even I know some might not make sense, but one thing I've learnt from the short time I joined this platform, is that - sense dey inside nonsense.

I currently work with a multi-national startup coy. My net pay is a bit above 400k naira (this's at the moment), I've worked for about 2 years. I'm married with two kids and expecting the third.

Now my dilemma is that, I've not been able to save up funds, I feel like my living condition doesn't reflect what I earn. Shingbai like this, I no get for account. The last I could remember, I go deep hand for forex, e nearly give me hypertension (I lost about 2m). I still dey pay debt wey I incur as a result.

Now where I need assistance is, looking at the amount I'm earning, how do I spend? Please for those that will be kind enough to give suggestions, let it practically explained, as in help me break am down to the amount wey I suppose spend, how I suppose spend am, and wetin I suppose save.

Thanks 🙏.

You're not serious. You have 2 kids with another one on the way and a wife on 400k Salary?? How much do you pay for accommodation annually? How much is the school fees annually? You can't have savings on that money.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by gbadexy(m): 9:25pm On Jan 10
Don't be pushed into spending what you can't afford. That you can pay for it don't mean you can afford to do it and still have savings.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by yetmao: 9:25pm On Jan 10
Don't know what to say honestly. The 400k money is not enough, If you re not stealing from the company.

Forget the advices of people saving and buying land from 60k and 30k salary. They are thieves, stealing from company. It's just practically impossible, with feeding, school fees, transport and extended family wahala.

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by IkeGod9891(m): 9:25pm On Jan 10
Wch kind work dey pay like dis?

9 Likes

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Joythah(m): 9:26pm On Jan 10
You need to discuss with your wife... Nothing the elders tell you here will work without her.
Hope she's the prudent type o otherwise you are in soup

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by moscobabs(m): 9:26pm On Jan 10
shocked
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by CondemnBattery(f): 9:26pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks 🙏.
Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by oofjm: 9:27pm On Jan 10
If u can’t save from 400k then issue de be that ohhh….how much u wan earn to safe?…..your wife no the work?…..cut ur cloth accordingly to ur size man….it depends the state u r staying cha….imagine ur salary have be been reduced to 300k and start saving 100k and see if u will survive or not

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Tealcrestmedia(m): 9:27pm On Jan 10
There are basic rules that help someone avoid financial pressure. Firstly, everything you do must be in percentages of your salary, the main one being not spending more than 30% of your annual income on rent. Your annual income is 4.8m assuming that is all you earn. Your rent must not exceed 1.2m.

Next, tailor your spending to allow 20% saving monthly which will be your investment funds. The rest will be dependent on your lifestyle choices and the cost of living for where you stay.

I noticed you mentioned forex, because you didn't follow financial management principles, you used almost 40% annual income to invest in something you're not knowledgeable in, you should test the waters with no more than 5% monthly per time.

57 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Jking20(m): 9:27pm On Jan 10
Start up something for your wife if she doesn't have anything doin. The little things at home are the ones that takes most of the money, but with her doin something that she can frequently settle some bills you will definitely be able to save.
Also, you must set a target of what you want to achieve and work hard for it, otherwise, you will still end up the same way.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 400k Salary, but nothing. by Fryx: 9:28pm On Jan 10
Duyt1798:
Hi guys!

Thanks 🙏.

Even me wey be bachelor. I decided to cut down my budget to only 30k per week so that I can have more savings. O boy, I was scared and I know it won’t be possible.

Only me oh, except for once in a while wey my junior ones fit just ask for some change.

But like someone say above. Imagine you are only earning 300k and don’t budget beyond 300k per month. The remaining 100k is not meant to be spent.

19 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

9 Pictures that Define Some Moments At Work / Makeup Artist Turns Out With Severe Injuries After Artistry Work / Nigerian Man Loses Job Of N120k Pay Because Of N2k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.