Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,460 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} (32886 Views)

Lady Runs Her Salon Business From Under A Tree, Photos Go Viral / End Of The Road For Me, Selling Off My Salon Business / Top 17 Ways On How To Start And Run A Successful Bar Business In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by Mybussinessmind: 3:47pm On Mar 27, 2019
Looking good they say is good business, whether you are the one looking good or you are the one making others look good. When people look in the mirror, it is because they want to check out how they look and of course, they’d want the image in the mirror to be attractive. Women are ready to go the extra miles just to look attractive in the eyes of men and even to compete with their fellow women and make them envious.

The hair is one of the major parts of the body that can either bring out ones beauty or hide it, hence a lot of women are very particular about what hairstyle they make and how well it is made. This is where the hair salon business comes in.

There practically no one that does not patronize the salon, making salon business good business and because everyone loves looking good it sends a positive signal as to how lucrative it is to venture into the business of salon.

The major advantage of this business over most other businesses is that it can be started anywhere, be it in your living room, at the corner of your compound or a small rented space provided the place is very neat and well kept. A dirty environment is not ideal for this kind of business.

STARTING A SALON BUSINESS

The large number of hairdressers tells how relatively easy it is to open a salon. Just look at any street in your city and you are bound to spot hairdressers shops. But, what does it take to start this business?

Hair salon is quite easy to start but it’s very vital that you make some research just to help you in making sure the salon doesn’t fail in a couple of years.

Things to Consider before venturing into hair salon business.

1. Do you have the required skills and knowledge to run a salon business?

2. Do you want to have a paid staff or you want to run the salon business yourself?

3. If you want to have paid staffs run the salon for you, do you have enough knowledge about the business to know if they are doing a great job with your customers?

4. What social class of people are you willing to service?

THE FOLLOWING ARE PRACTICAL STEPS/TIPS TO SETUP A SALON BUSINESS

1. ACQUIRE MUCH KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THE HAIR SALON BUSINESS

In any business, knowledge is not just power but also a very strong competitive advantage. To succeed as a hair stylist you must know everything that needs to be known about the salon business.

* You must know about the women’s hair.

* You must know a little about beauty care.

* You must also be well informed about fashion in general.

* You must know how to run a hair salon business. Etc.

2. GET ADEQUATE TRAINING IF YOU HAVE NONE

You don’t just delve into a sea without first checking the waters. My dear it’s very risky. You cannot rush into hair saloon business all in the name of becoming self-reliant, you only get yourself into a bigger problem because if you give a not too satisfactory service to a customer, you are bound to be shouted on, yelled at or given a dirty fight (you know how some ladies can be so naughty).

The salon business is one business that required a lot of skills, visit two or three salons in your city and see how it is set up generally. Learn different styles in vogue. Ask helpful questions, the greatest thing about the skill acquired for the sake of running a salon is that your artistry is been seen all day long till the customer in question undo the hair. Your work speaks for you even when you are not there and do a lot of marketing for you. People will pay for your skill and they will pay well if they know they will get the best.

3. GET START UP CAPITAL

Your capital depend on how big you intend to start, the kind of equipment you want to start with, where you want your business location to be, how you want your salon to look like. As I said earlier it is a business that can be started on a small scale (even at the four corners of your room). Try and raise little capital to start small if you don’t have the fund for a bigger size.

4. SEEK THE MOST PROFITABLE LOCATION FOR YOUR SALON

Having the right location for your salon business can make or break your success in business. A good location has the visibility and accessibility to attract a high volume of customers. Your location should reflect your target market. If your target is high income clients, head for a high income area. If you plan to open a high volume operation, you will need to locate your salon in a high traffic area.

It is advisable not to situate your salon directly next to another salon, you will probably cancel each other out. Try to stake out a place where you will be the only salon for a few blocks. Don’t be in a hurry to get a location. Take your time and get the best deal for your money.

5. SPACE

The particular spot to start your business is another interesting area to think deeply on. Though, hairdressing salon are mostly found at rented shops, you can actually start yours in your room or at the corner of your compound if you don’t have enough money to rent a shop. If your room is not big or accessible enough, you can look for any available shed in your area and start from there. I’ve seen lots of hairdressers today who began from home. All they did was to make a sign post and the rest became history.

6. PURCHASE THE NECESSARY EQUIPMENTS

Hair salon business is very lucrative if you have the necessary equipment to give optimal service to your clients. Whether you are operating from home or from a shed or in a big rented shop, you need equipment to start operation. From your training, you’ll be able to know the most important ones to begin with, then gradually buy the rest.

One thing you don’t want to do is spending money twice on the same thing within a short time so you have to purchase quality equipment from known makers.

Below are some of the necessary equipment to run a successful hair salon business

· Wash hair basin

· Standing dryer

· Steamers

· Mirrors

· Combs

· Brushes

· Trimming scissors

· Curling iron

· Hair straightener

· Rollers

· Carts and trolleys

· Fan/air conditioner

· Shampoos and conditioners

· Comfortable chairs

· Towels and towel warmers

· Table with drawers

· Generator for standby power

· Air conditioners (If you can afford one]

· Flat screen TV and a satellite decoder (if you can afford it)

· Relaxer

· Nail accessories

· Scissors. Etc.

The services you decide to render will determine what equipment to buy.

7. EMPLOY PROFESSIONAL AND SKILFUL PERSONNEL

If your goal is to become a successful hair stylist and big business owner, then you are going to need extra talented hands. The beauticians you must hire must be skilled and experienced because their ability and talent as well as their attitude and work ethic will influence every aspect of your business, from client retention rate to the bottom line.

You should also organise training classes on a regular basis to improve your employee’s product knowledge and skills. It is extremely important as well to keep your staff motivated by offering them some benefit package which includes health and vacation benefits, payment for extended hours and many more.

The employees needed for day to day running of a salon business include a hair stylists/cosmetologists, braiders, salon/shampoo assistants, a receptionist, a customer service officer/marketer and cleaners. Etc.

8. GET A COMPLIMENTARY CARD

You need to have a professional looking business card, with your contact details and business address clearly printed. Issuing a complimentary card to your potential client is a good way to help them patronize your service. You never can tell who else might get in contact with your card. One card can get to more than one individual.

9. DO ADEQUATE PUBLICITY

Make sure people around you know this is what you do, tell a friend to tell a friend to tell a friend. But don’t totally rely on words of mouth or referral systems. Go online and get some advert going for your business. Take pictures, make short videos of the skill you have and post them online (Facebook, whatsapp and many more)

10. PRICING

As you go about your business, make sure you don’t over charge you customers. Moderate pricing ensures continuous patronage and sustainable venture. The real money comes from rendering good services at affordable prices that will make the customers come back again and again.

HOW TO EARN EXTRA INCOME FROM YOUR HAIR SALON BUSINESS

Source: https://www.billionairezmindset.com.ng/2019/03/how-to-start-and-run-hair-salon.html

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by bedfordng(m): 5:29pm On Mar 27, 2019
hmmm

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by Tonymegabush1(m): 5:50pm On Mar 27, 2019
Thinking of unisex style of beauty parlor my ex was into hair making but as the relationship didn't work out am still contemplating on either learning how to cut hair or just employ one to run the business

3 Likes

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by jericco1(m): 7:21pm On Mar 27, 2019
my sisters need to see this
Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:21pm On Mar 27, 2019
Another good thread by the OP.....
Thumbs up!

Following....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by Oblitz(m): 7:22pm On Mar 27, 2019
Lemme go and start mine o! Nairalanders patronize me o! grin
Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by afoltundeseen(f): 7:25pm On Mar 27, 2019
Easy for mouth.

6 Likes

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by Nobody: 7:29pm On Mar 27, 2019
Flexibility
Sweet mouthedcheesy
Don't get angry
Can overlook debt
Can take poocheesy makes the biz run

If you are too rigid in personality.... run for your life because you will die before a year cheesycheesy

3 Likes

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by Uyi168: 7:30pm On Mar 27, 2019
Tonymegabush1:
Thinking of unisex style of beauty parlor my ex was into hair making but as the relationship didn't work out am still contemplating on either learning how to cut hair or just employ one to run the business
Do u have to tell us about ur ex?? undecided

6 Likes

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by Gsteve01(m): 7:31pm On Mar 27, 2019
How do I open a brain cleaning shop

#RealEstate# #Building# #Land# #Comfort# #Health# #Wealth# #Cashready#
Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by xty50(f): 7:35pm On Mar 27, 2019
Pls someone should write about makeup shop. I really want to start but i have little knowledge of it.
Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by balonaija(f): 7:36pm On Mar 27, 2019
na wahala...
Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by OKorowanta: 7:37pm On Mar 27, 2019
Na only ashaawo thread dem like.
All those front page ekpa nor near here.
Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by nazicartel(m): 7:37pm On Mar 27, 2019
Tonymegabush1:
that unisex salon is my target... just don't know how to start
Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by ekmike(m): 7:55pm On Mar 27, 2019
This is too theoretical. I was expecting to read from an experienced stylist both male or female.

2 Likes

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by SEONaijaExpert: 8:03pm On Mar 27, 2019
Threads like this don't always get many comments because it's not C-cee or Alex or Tobi.

Yet, it's the best and most productive for a forum to live up to its name.

8 Likes

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by olexjay(m): 8:08pm On Mar 27, 2019
Tonymegabush1:
just monitor whom you employ to handle it for u well cuz trustworthy people are scares this days.... Wish u all the best

2 Likes

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by Topmaike007(m): 8:10pm On Mar 27, 2019
Thread like this no dey get enough comments if na Cozy open breast those Devilish show called BBN it will have 3k views in 30 minutes...shior Weldon jooor op

4 Likes

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by Tonymegabush1(m): 8:19pm On Mar 27, 2019
Uyi168:
Do u have to tell us about ur ex?? undecided

Baba chill the plan was to open it while she will be handling it since she too is into hair making while in skul, so you see she was in the flame initially

3 Likes

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by naijajobx: 8:25pm On Mar 27, 2019
Good
Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by noni14(m): 8:29pm On Mar 27, 2019
i do home service

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by kunlesehan(m): 8:58pm On Mar 27, 2019
This is really nice
Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by Gandollar(f): 9:28pm On Mar 27, 2019
nazicartel:
that unisex salon is my target... just don't know how to start
Get basic knowledge about it, then open the place, equip it and employ people who will pay you. You may for instance ask each person to pay you 10k every 7days, the rest they make, it's their own. But they are responsible for buying creams, shampoo, dye, relaxers etc that they need. That way they hustle hard and over-nice to customers. Thank me later.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by sevo(m): 9:43pm On Mar 27, 2019
Gandollar:
Get basic knowledge about it, then open the place, equip it and employ people who will pay you. You may for instance ask each person to pay you 10k every 7days, the rest they make, it's their own. But they are responsible for buying creams, shampoo, dye, relaxers etc that they need. That way they hustle hard and over-nice to customers. Thank me later.

10k in a week?!! Haba nah....fear God

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by ajalawole(m): 10:10pm On Mar 27, 2019
sevo:

bro e work. I have a female friend in Lagos who run unisex saloon. she have guys that do tattoo, male and female hair stylist and she collect 10k from each of them every weeks. I also plan to open unisex saloon here in Ilorin this year, but I don't think the plan above will work here

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by midnighter(f): 10:22pm On Mar 27, 2019
11. if its in a market, station your guys to cat-call and drag customers inside by force

and even follow them to another store where they went to buy egg

... angry

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by Arewa12: 10:30pm On Mar 27, 2019
this guy try buh he just saying it base on theory, am a professional Hairstylist am a guy am into ladies hairdressing

all this entrepreneur coach telling u start up hair salon biz it is not has easy as der preach.. sometimes if you don't have Faith in God u myt end up closing ur shops, all dis young ladies rushing to go and open salon ask dem aw market if not that some of dem have all this rich boyfriend or husband giving them to pay for the shop rent

1st 6 month of your opening it is going to be rough customers don't just come like that even if u use billboard some will just enter and price ur market

Patients is key just like every business you need to be patient
your salon no go just blow like that

don't employ male hairstylist for ladies hairdressing for starters (new salon) expect if you get strong connection asin wey go make dem stay, if dey see say ur salon no dey move na movement 4 boy cuz our yansh no dey sit down one place male hairstylist don't have much patient compare to female hairstylist especially if she is on salary, if you want to employ male hairstylist put dem on sit or commission and for female hairstylist depending on how much you can spare pay her like 18k-20k for starters

buy all your hair care product in bulk, buh don't keep dem were your stylist can see it cuz as dem see am na so dem go use am

if you need more info you can dm me

tho am now into haircare product i produce my own hair care product for hair growth

i can put you through d business am a motion certified hairstylist 8 year in the game no be beans

customer management is very key if you can maintain your stylist then you sure ur customers will stay cause if you keep changing stylist all the time you re in for a long ride

19 Likes

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by CoolKizzy(m): 11:13pm On Mar 27, 2019
please don't open a salon if you are not experienced in the business or not ready to manage the activities of the stylist.

they will mess your shop up and leave. customers will follow them to leave when they do making your shop worthless.

avoid any business you can't afford to fire and hire easily. else you are deep neck into the business as well.

3 Likes

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by nazicartel(m): 11:18pm On Mar 27, 2019
Gandollar:
jeez... nice one .... nice idea.... will get back to u before the yr runs out... nice idea

1 Like

Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by sweetilicious(f): 1:39am On Mar 28, 2019
I was thinking of what and where to invest my money.This might be considered.I have practical experience on business.But I believe leaving the country for now should be a better and profitable risk.
Re: How To Start And Run A Successful Hair Salon Business In Nigeria {simple Guide} by Gandollar(f): 5:05am On Mar 28, 2019
sevo:

Yes. But everything depends on your location and kind of salon. If you are in a high brow area, 10k is not enough. The female side should even pay you more because the service they offer is more expensive than the male side. So if you get 10k from the male side, you should demand 15k from the female section.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dairo Damilola Opeyemi Redefining Auto-parts Business In Nigeria / Photos From Giwa Farmers Market In Kaduna Prove Nigeria Is blessed In Agric / Why Nigerians Should Embrace Snake Rearing - Abubakar Ballah

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.