Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,857 members, 7,844,777 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? (3898 Views)

We Don’t Know Who Constructed The Giant Broom - APC / Nigeria Still As Corrupt As Before – Transparency International / Why Nigeria Still Needs Buhari – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 3:31pm On Mar 29, 2019
Blue3k:
I say yes because of population and economy. The top stop for largest economy shifts around year to year as I see. Sometimes its S. AFRICA and others its Nigeria. Overall I do believe S. Africa in better position. They also have the better millitary and more of regional power than Nigeria is. They have their issues to which I spoke about before on other threads.

Countries will have their issues, but reality is that South Africa is almost 50 yrs ahead of Nigeria.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 3:32pm On Mar 29, 2019
noni14:
it's our tittle bro

Is those kind of Bro who beat, support, more civilised than their big brother.

if fact Nigeria is a useless brother.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by Dami12345: 10:06pm On Mar 29, 2019
zhike:

the problem is that Nigerian masses are coward, they are unable to challenge their leaders.
Can we do anything to Change DAT? We work with what we have.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by Dami12345: 10:07pm On Mar 29, 2019
zhike:

No killing is not a solution. the solution is to mobilize mass. Check what Julius Malema did in South Africa, he started mobilising people from scracth and see how big is his political party now.

Killing is a deterrent.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by yuanexchanger: 10:10pm On Mar 29, 2019
Other african or western world have nothing to do about us being the giant of Africa. ..We help pay your chinese suppliers with chinese yuan.check for more info.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by 9jabull: 10:37pm On Mar 29, 2019
Nigeria remains giant in poverty, terrorism (heardsmen), corruption, lacks rule of law & Democratic ethics.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by IronGalaxy: 11:13pm On Mar 29, 2019
zhike:
It seems like South Africa is overtaking us in all the angles. they are developed than Nigeria. south African economy is bigger than of Nigeria. South Africa assists all african countries in terms of crisis such as Mozambique IDAL cyclone. South african army is operating in more than 20 countries in AFrica trying to bring peace.
Truth is , Nigeria was never an African giant in the first place
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 9:09am On Apr 01, 2019
Dami12345:

Can we do anything to Change DAT? We work with what we have.

Yes, there is something Nigerians can do. to challenge the current political system. to vote for new party of people who never been in govt before. because people who are already in govt, already knows how to steal.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 9:10am On Apr 01, 2019
Dami12345:

Killing is a deterrent.

The solution is that all people who stole money must be prosecuted and jailed. it will set a good example to other politicians.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 9:12am On Apr 01, 2019
9jabull:
Nigeria remains giant in poverty, terrorism (heardsmen), corruption, lacks rule of law & Democratic ethics.

lol, one thing that must happen in Nigeria. is that the rule of law must be followed.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 9:12am On Apr 01, 2019
IronGalaxy:
Truth is , Nigeria was never an African giant in the first place

lol, how can you say so?

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 9:13am On Apr 01, 2019
9jabull:

what could be done to change this situation?
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 9:20am On Apr 01, 2019
yuanexchanger:
Other african or western world have nothing to do about us being the giant of Africa. ..We help pay your chinese suppliers with chinese yuan.check for more info.

why are we still buying things from china, why not produce our own.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 11:09am On Apr 01, 2019
Nigeria must learn to be independent, and develop their economy by themselves?
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by Dami12345: 4:34am On Apr 02, 2019
zhike:

The solution is that all people who stole money must be prosecuted and jailed. it will set a good example to other politicians.

Lol. Your not ready for a change yet.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by Dami12345: 4:35am On Apr 02, 2019
zhike:

Yes, there is something Nigerians can do. to challenge the current political system. to vote for new party of people who never been in govt before. because people who are already in govt, already knows how to steal.

Lol. Your waiting for a savior in another party?

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by Litmus: 4:59am On Apr 02, 2019
In Africa, Egypt receives most international aid. Nigeria, if memory serves me right, ranks 8th or 9th two places below Kenya. There is however a difference between receiving aid and depending on aid. Nigeria can survive without aid, I wonder how many of these African nations continually flaunted here as being superior to Nigeria ( gods, but the delusions of Africans) anyway I wonder how many of these nations, including Egypt actually, would survive without international assistance.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by dokie: 5:07am On Apr 02, 2019
highcollide:
so, on your tiny ewedu mind, a country where foreign investors are fleeing, where unemployment is at its highest, is the giant of Africa?

Typical APC zombie.

You should have ignored that man the way the OP did. It's the best way to silence them.

His stupidity is legendary, and he shouldn't be given the privilege of a response.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by Tianamen1: 6:26am On Apr 02, 2019
Litmus
Isn't our own survival based on crude oil? Is this something to be proud of. 198 million people with little to know productivity. We even import palm oil.

Zhike, I am sure in SA the basic education is quite standard, that is why people like Julius Malema can rise from obscurity and make a "difference". In Nigeria, people are generally hungry, so they will always follow the stomachs before logic.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 9:28am On Apr 02, 2019
Dami12345:

Lol. Your not ready for a change yet.

Why are you saying am not ready for a change?
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 9:30am On Apr 02, 2019
Dami12345:

Lol. Your waiting for a savior in another party?

Maybe another party will do, because the current one is failing. we can't give up like that.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 9:41am On Apr 02, 2019
Litmus:
In Africa, Egypt receives most international aid. Nigeria, if memory serves me right, ranks 8th or 9th two places below Kenya. There is however a difference between receiving aid and depending on aid. Nigeria can survive without aid, I wonder how many of these African nations continually flaunted here as being superior to Nigeria ( gods, but the delusions of Africans) anyway I wonder how many of these nations, including Egypt actually, would survive without international assistance.

Thanks for this info. kindly note south africa does not receive any aid, does not want any aid. if fact in south african budget there is a fund prepared to aid other african state. check how many countries they assisted in the last 5 years (Mozambique, DRC, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Nigeria, Liberia, Brundi, CAR, amny more).

Botswana, Namibia, Angola, Lesotho, Swaziland they are not depending in any aid.

Botswana, Namibia, Angola, Lesotho, Swaziland,Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Zambia this countries are better than Nigeria because their economy is directly linked or depending on South African economy. They use south africa rand as their currency.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 9:57am On Apr 02, 2019
Tianamen1:
Litmus
Isn't our own survival based on crude oil? Is this something to be proud of. 198 million people with little to know productivity. We even import palm oil.

Zhike, I am sure in SA the basic education is quite standard, that is why people like Julius Malema can rise from obscurity and make a "difference". In Nigeria, people are generally hungry, so they will always follow the stomachs before logic.

I think Nigeria must be able to process crude oil. it will be creating more employment in Nigeria. big petrolem corporates like shell and sasol must be created in nigeria.

std of education in south Africa is well, the reason education is well in south africa is because they keep improving it based with criticism from opposition parties and academics. Education takes large portion of the budget of SA. to confirm that the education is well you can see by the number of researches that their universities are doing. first ear transplant in the world done by university of pretoria. university of ukzn researchers this year found what is causing hair loss to african people.

Nigerians are quite intelligent people, most of them are professors in South african universities, I think they just need a platform in the politics. and if they get a chance they will change things. note: do not elect poor people in the big positions because they will enrich themselves first. they will make bad deals for govt in order to enrich themselves.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by UzomaFC: 10:32am On Apr 02, 2019
Am just coming back from Maputo in Mozambique, I also stayed at SA for a week b4 going to Mozambique.
I felt so bad for Nigeria my country for the things I saw in SA. I asked my self is this really africa?
OR Tambo airport was something else.
The streets, structures I saw at Rosbank. I was confused how to go about way in the mall cos the hall is very very massive.

Now to Mozambique,I stayed at maracuene cos of the project I was handling.
I did not see any thing like well or borehole.
I never for a day noticed that it was power from the government is what am using. for the 1st time in my life I saw that light can be steady.

Life was less stressful for me there, they are also sincere in there dealings.
I found out the simple way of life both SA n Mozambique ppl leave and I came to this conclusion that "COVETOUSNESS "is what is killing us in this part of the country.
Since I came bk, I hv not been my self.

Their president came to lunch the place I was working n I didn't knw that it was their president cos I did not see heavy security, I didn't hear sirens here n there.
it until I asked where's the president na, that was when they told me that the person that walked past us now is the president.

I saw a traffic police giving a police vehicle fine for breaking traffic in Maputo city.

Mozambique is not that too fantastic, however the basic things of life (power n water n also good road).

They re also disciplined in their driving.

God pls help nigeria, I don't knw what is really wrong with this nation with all the potentials.
Am just waiting for a day in which I ll leave this world cos what I saw in this past months makes feel so bad.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by UzomaFC: 10:33am On Apr 02, 2019
Am just coming back from Maputo in Mozambique, I also stayed at SA for a week b4 going to Mozambique.
I felt so bad for Nigeria my country for the things I saw in SA. I asked my self is this really africa?
The streets, structures I saw at Rosbank. I was confused how to go about way in the mall cos the hall is very very massive.

I never for a day noticed that it was power from the government is what am using. for the 1st time in my life I saw that light can be steady.

I found out the simple way of life both SA n Mozambique ppl leave and I came to this conclusion that "COVETOUSNESS "is what is killing us in this part of the country.

Their president came to lunch the place I was working n I didn't knw that it was their president cos I did not see heavy security, I didn't hear sirens here n there.
it until I asked where's the president na, that was when they told me that the person that walked past us now is the president.

I saw a traffic police giving a police vehicle fine for breaking traffic in Maputo city.

Mozambique is not that too fantastic, however the basic things of life (power n water n also good road).

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by Tianamen1: 11:54am On Apr 02, 2019
zhike:

I think Nigeria must be able to process crude oil. it will be creating more employment in Nigeria. big petrolem corporates like shell and sasol must be created in nigeria.

std of education in south Africa is well, the reason education is well in south africa is because they keep improving it based with criticism from opposition parties and academics. Education takes large portion of the budget of SA. to confirm that the education is well you can see by the number of researches that their universities are doing. first ear transplant in the world done by university of pretoria. university of ukzn researchers this year found what is causing hair loss to african people.

Nigerians are quite intelligent people, most of them are professors in South african universities, I think they just need a platform in the politics. and if they get a chance they will change things. note: do not elect poor people in the big positions because they will enrich themselves first. they will make bad deals for govt in order to enrich themselves.

Blacks and whites have the same ability to succeed academically. The main difference between the two is that white people study "Black Boxes" even when they cannot see any direct benefit, whereas black people only care about "black boxes" if they can readily see a benefit. A black box is an unexplainable event or occurrence or something in nature.

This small difference is what has led us to poverty and them to success.

Take education and healthcare for example. Studies have shown that increases in spending on these two sectors correlates with improvements in productivity and GDP growth. In fact, the Human Development Index is primarily based on education and health spending, and GDP per capita. From the white mans perspective, 25 percent of his budget should go into education and another 25 into healthcare. From the black mans perspective, why should he educate and provide healthcare for another man's child, so his focus is on "operational vehicles", " operational Jets", "operational security votes", and "operational babes".

If you pick any 10 Nigerians at random, 8 will argue that they prefer spending on infrastructure such as Electricity than quality free basic education. Don't get me wrong, electricity is important, but without quality basic education, there will be mass poverty in the land. The majority will not be able to pay the market rates for electricity, so the government will have to pay subsidies and investments in power will be low.

In 2005, Obasanjo instructed PHCN to start distributing prepaid meters to all Nigerians. The officials at PHCN quickly found out that once a prepaid meter is installed, a customer reduces his/her consumption, leading PHCN to have a fall in revenue collections. So the officials stop distributing meters. 10 years later, PHCN was privatised. The new owners also discovered the fall in revenues with increased installations, so they also stopped distributing meters.

The Federal government has raised electricity tariffs on many occasions (just like with petroleum) but because the Nigerian masses do not have quality basic education, our productivity remains low, so any fluctuation in the price of oil leads to a fall in the naira, thus making energy prices go up, forcing the government to bridge the gap by paying subsidies.

Education is a "Black Box" the average black person does not understand.
Some may wonder, don't we have many good private schools? The question is, what percentage of Nigerians go to such schools? Most economies are run by small businesses. Small businesses require affordable quality basic educated workers. You cannot find such workers in Nigeria. Getting a good shop keeper is like finding a needle in a hay stack. In other countries, such workers are too numerous that once a person messes up, the boss can fire the person and employ another person. In Nigeria, we are forced to stay with our bad shop keeper because we know that the devil we know is better than the one we don't know.
This is the fundamental reason why there is joblessness and poverty in Nigeria. A lack of quality basic educated people.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by grandstar(m): 1:58pm On Apr 02, 2019
Tianamen1:

Blacks and whites have the same ability to succeed academically. The main difference between the two is that white people study "Black Boxes" even when they cannot see any direct benefit, whereas black people only care about "black boxes" if they can readily see a benefit. A black box is an unexplainable event or occurrence or something in nature.

Take education and healthcare for example. Studies have shown that increases in spending on these two sectors correlates with improvements in productivity and GDP growth. In fact, the Human Development Index is primarily based on education and health spending, and GDP per capita. From the white mans perspective, 25 percent of his budget should go into education and another 25 into healthcare. From the black mans perspective, why should he educate and provide healthcare for another man's child, so his focus is on "operational vehicles", " operational Jets", "operational security votes", and "operational babes".

If you pick any 10 Nigerians at random, 8 will argue that they prefer spending on infrastructure such as Electricity than quality free basic education. Don't get me wrong, electricity is important, but without quality basic education, there will be mass poverty in the land. The majority will not be able to pay the market rates for electricity, so the government will have to pay subsidies and investments in power will be low.

In 2005, Obasanjo instructed PHCN to start distributing prepaid meters to all Nigerians. The officials at PHCN quickly found out that once a prepaid meter is installed, a customer reduces his/her consumption, leading PHCN to have a fall in revenue collections. So the officials stop distributing meters. 10 years later, PHCN was privatised. The new owners also discovered the fall in revenues with increased installations, so they also stopped distributing meters.

The Federal government has raised electricity tariffs on many occasions (just like with petroleum) but because the Nigerian masses do not have quality basic education, our productivity remains low, so any fluctuation in the price of oil leads to a fall in the naira, thus making energy prices go up, forcing the government to bridge the gap by paying subsidies.

Some may wonder, don't we have many good private schools? The question is, what percentage of Nigerians go to such schools? Most economies are run by small businesses. Small businesses require affordable quality basic educated workers. You cannot find such workers in Nigeria. Getting a good shop keeper is like finding a needle in a hay stack. In other countries, such workers are too numerous that once a person messes up, the boss can fire the person and employ another person. In Nigeria, we are forced to stay with our bad shop keeper because we know that the devil we know is better than the one we don't know.
This is the fundamental reason why there is joblessness and poverty in Nigeria. A lack of quality basic educated people.

We humans are all the same. Stop this black man or white man comparisons.

Nigerians are the demography with the highest levels of education in the United States. Is it then true the black man does not value education.

In the U.K, the white Britona do not appreciate education that much, and don't go beyond secondary school. When my brother worked in a fast food restaurant, his co-workers were pleasantly surprised when they learned he was hoping to enter the university. They felt he should be contented with what he had already. His co-workers workers were.contented.

In the U.k, white British youths are at the bottom. Even Theresa May said as much.

In the US, there are whites who are contented with basic education. Many even drop out and don't finish.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by Tianamen1: 2:10pm On Apr 02, 2019
grandstar:

We humans are all the same. Stop this black man or white man comparisons.

Nigerians are the demography with the highest levels of education in the United States. Is it then true the black man does not value education.

In the U.K, the white Britona do not appreciate education that much, and don't go beyond secondary school. When my brother worked in a fast food restaurant, his co-workers were pleasantly surprised when they learned he was hoping to enter the university. They felt he should be contented with what he had already. His co-workers workers were.contented.

In the U.k, white British youths are at the bottom. Even Theresa May said as much.

In the US, there are whites who are contented with basic education. Many even drop out and don't finish.

You didn't understand my comment. Book wise, we are the same. The problem is they are simply more curious than we are so they investigate things we don't. We focus solely on benefits so if we can't understand the benefit, we do not carryout the research. We are book smart but not very wise. We think we are wise.

Talking about university education, about 30 percent of British people are graduates yet creativity and development flourish. Mass Quality Basic education is by far more important to growth and development than university degrees.

What I am saying is that a country will develop if majority of its people have quality primary and secondary school education. University education is important but it is very expensive to provide mass quality university education. Nigeria's focus on spending on tertiary education is also a major factor to our underdevelopment.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 2:24pm On Apr 02, 2019
UzomaFC:

God pls help nigeria, I don't knw what is really wrong with this nation with all the potentials.
Am just waiting for a day in which I ll leave this world cos what I saw in this past months makes feel so bad.

Thanks very much for this information.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by Tianamen1: 2:30pm On Apr 02, 2019
UzomaFC:

Did you visit their primary and secondary schools. Our covetousness is as a result of being pennywise and pound foolish. Only quality basic education can correct this
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 2:32pm On Apr 02, 2019
Tianamen1:

Thanks for this information. there is no diff btw a white and black person in terms of study. what nigeria needs to do is to stop lawlessness.
Re: Is Nigeria Still The Giant Of Africa? by zhike: 2:38pm On Apr 02, 2019
Tianamen1:

You didn't understand my comment. Book wise, we are the same. The problem is they are simply more curious than we are so they investigate things we don't. We focus solely on benefits so if we can't understand the benefit, we do not carryout the research. We are book smart but not very wise. We think we are wise.

Talking about university education, about 30 percent of British people are graduates yet creativity and development flourish. Mass Quality Basic education is by far more important to growth and development than university degrees.

What I am saying is that a country will develop if majority of its people have quality primary and secondary school education. University education is important but it is very expensive to provide mass quality university education. Nigeria's focus on spending on tertiary education is also a major factor to our underdevelopment.

the diff is the objective of why you are studying. you could be studying so that you can pass and get job. or you could study so that you can know the course tharally.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Murdered By IPOB Was Innocent And Not Ebubeagu Commander / Staline On The Rise On Niaraland .com / Amazing: Can You Beat These Awards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.