Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,062 members, 7,956,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:32 AM

"Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. (51073 Views)

Two-headed Snake Eats Two Mice Using Both Mouths At Same Time (graphic) / See The Two-headed Turtle Discovered In Malaysia (photos) / Two-Headed Snake Named Tom And Jerry At Reptile Expo in Villeneuve, Switzerland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by flowmama: 10:51pm On Mar 30, 2019
It's a lie...

As a scientist, animal nomenclature maybe done based on the location of first isolation or discovery... This bird was surely first discovered in Ibadan not that it can only be seen in Ibadan...

Just like kotankan virus (First isolated from Kotankan) and Mokola virus (First Isolated from Mokola on Ibadan).

1 Like

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by amaniro: 10:52pm On Mar 30, 2019
IjebuWarrior:

Do you think everything is tribal? If you don't know, my cousin married an Ijebu man. No biggy
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by sandysprax(m): 10:52pm On Mar 30, 2019
This ascertion is shallow to say the least and without solid facts.
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by OyiboOyibo(m): 10:53pm On Mar 30, 2019
kingabe21:
I don't know whether I should believe it or not, but it's possible though
You guys are not believing this thing simply because it's not a bad thing, if it had been a bad one, you guys will be shouting Afonja or the brown roof people
Hypocrites everywhere
The writer is misleading the public with fake information.... the bird can be found in south western states not only Ibadan
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by LazyGold(m): 11:06pm On Mar 30, 2019
DabuIIIT:
Of course,it's few in number....they have harvested the heads of the birds
grin grin

Ibadannemsis de la brownRoofonjasis ala mala malimbe
grin grin

Hmm I bow for your lack of sense

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by Pidginwhisper: 11:07pm On Mar 30, 2019
obembet:
gods of Ibadan.

Which side jare.. Cos I never see am. I base in PHC. The only bird in PHC is Vulture

1 Like

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by Rexeffiom(m): 11:08pm On Mar 30, 2019
I've seen it countless times here in Abuja
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by DabuIIIT: 11:10pm On Mar 30, 2019
LazyGold:

Hmm I bow for your lack of sense
grin

1 Share

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by uuzba(m): 11:11pm On Mar 30, 2019
So it's like a black Woody Woodpecker

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by LazyGold(m): 11:12pm On Mar 30, 2019
DabuIIIT:

grin

You are in Pain

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by Drama35(m): 11:12pm On Mar 30, 2019
The red-headed malimbe (Malimbus rubricollis) is a species of bird in the Ploceidae family. It is found in Angola, Benin, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, and Uganda.

Red-headed malimbe
Redheadedmalimbe.jpg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by SarkinYarki: 11:14pm On Mar 30, 2019
lies this bird is the bird is all over Northern Nigeria and I have even seen it in Lagos once ...we called this bird Police bird when we were kids
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by ahamonyeka(m): 11:14pm On Mar 30, 2019
ksam:
witches of Ibadan
are you a mfm member?
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by Nobody: 11:17pm On Mar 30, 2019
The red-headed malimbe (Malimbus rubricollis) is a species of bird in the Ploceidae family. It is found in[i] Angola, Benin, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, and Uganda.

3 Likes

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by DabuIIIT: 11:18pm On Mar 30, 2019
LazyGold:

You are in Pain
grin

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by TGMISKY(m): 11:19pm On Mar 30, 2019
OP please note that the name Ibadan in the bird's name only shows where the bird was first discovered. Take for example, Havea brasilensis (rubber tree) can also be seen in Nigeria but was first discovered in Brazil.
But if the bird can only be found in Ibadan (which I perceive to be around 10% chance), scientists would have done what they did to Cercopithecus erythrogaster to the bird (dispatching a little of it to other areas with the same vegetative and climatic conditions to avoid instant extinction due to deforestation and other 'accidents').

1 Like

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by samdav925: 11:22pm On Mar 30, 2019
But I've seen this bird on Natgeowild
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by TGMISKY(m): 11:34pm On Mar 30, 2019
MaNyEsq:
The red-headed malimbe (Malimbus rubricollis) is a species of bird in the Ploceidae family. It is found in[i] Angola, Benin, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, and Uganda.
hope you understand that the OP wasn't talking about the whole of the Malimbus bird but that of Malimbus ibadanensis. The bird is endemic to Ibadan and has certain features which diffentiates it from other Malimbus birds. Take for example, Manihot esculenta and UMUCASS 36 are both cassava varieties/species but one is endemic to Brazil while the other was 'produced' at Umudike

3 Likes

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by newdawn2017(f): 11:34pm On Mar 30, 2019
Thisis2raw:
Come Port Harcourt u go see am
Yes, back then in chinda's estate around this 1994 -1998 them, I don't know about now.

1 Like

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by seborrhic: 11:37pm On Mar 30, 2019
Nigerians and their penchant for lies,false statistics and phantom records.
Indeed that bird is not found only in Ibadan,but sleeps only in Ibadan and reproduces only there.
It's so rare it should be named after Ibadan itself.
Go to National Geographic and get educated op.
Rubbish liars.
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by Nobody: 11:39pm On Mar 30, 2019
TGMISKY:

hope you understand that the OP wasn't talking about the whole of the Malimbus bird but that of Malimbus ibadanensis. The bird is endemic to Ibadan and has certain features which diffentiates it from other Malimbus birds. Take for example, Manihot esculenta and UMUCASS 36 are both cassava varieties/species but one is endemic to Brazil while the other was 'produced' at Umudike
Wow....love comments that educate. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by Nobody: 11:42pm On Mar 30, 2019
TGMISKY:

I was not making a reference to the whole Malimbus species but the redhead, which was the same one that the writer referenced in the article. By the way, what differentiates the one found in Ibadan and the rest of the read head?
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by TGMISKY(m): 11:44pm On Mar 30, 2019
Zhegx:
Wow....love comments that educate. Thanks a lot.
you're welcome
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by davillian(m): 11:44pm On Mar 30, 2019
amaniro:
Lies. So you mean the bird can't fly into other close states? So it can migrate to Osun, Ondo, Ekiti, Ogun state?
The bird get Ibadan map for hand once e reach border it will turn back grin grin grin
Bird way I Don see for lagos
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by kapelvej: 11:48pm On Mar 30, 2019
Afonja and lies
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by TGMISKY(m): 11:53pm On Mar 30, 2019
MaNyEsq:

I was not making a reference to the whole Malimbus species but the redhead, which was the same one that the writer referenced in the article. By the way, what differentiates the one found in Ibadan and the rest of the read head?
Malimbus birds are mainly redheads. In agriculture, there are certain things or characteristics that are considered when naming a species. The birds may look extremely alike but there are differencies for sure. I can't place them now but there is a reason why it's called Malimbus ibadanensis and not Malimbus rubricollis.

1 Like

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by TGMISKY(m): 11:58pm On Mar 30, 2019
OyiboOyibo:

The writer is misleading the public with fake information.... the bird can be found in south western states not only Ibadan
The writer may not have been an agriculturist, hence couldn't differentiate between endemic and found only

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by Nobody: 12:00am On Mar 31, 2019
TGMISKY:

Malimbus birds are mainly redheads. In agriculture, there are certain things or characteristics that are considered when naming a species. The birds may look extremely alike but there are differencies for sure. I can't place them now but there is a reason why it's called Malimbus ibadanensis and not Malimbus rubricollis.

The Ibadan malimbe is a rare species of bird in the Ploceidae family. It is endemic to Nigeria, where it is known only from the southwestern part of the country, including the city of Ibadan which it's named after. It was first discovered in 1951 and was common at one point. Forest clearing made it rare.

https://crossrivergorilla.org/2013/02/04/threatened-bird-thought-exist-nigeria-ghana-discovered-cameroon/

1 Like

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by Nobody: 12:04am On Mar 31, 2019
TGMISKY:

I appreciate your efforts and thanks for sharing the info.

1 Like

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by daddyfreeman1(m): 12:29am On Mar 31, 2019
This doesn't even look like Nigeria, Talk more of Ibadan... Uchu ... Ndi ara
Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by stonemasonn: 12:49am On Mar 31, 2019
grin
obembet:
gods of Ibadan.

Which side jare.. Cos I never see am. I base in PHC. The only bird in PHC is Vulture

1 Like

Re: "Ibadan Malimbe", The Rare Red-headed Bird Which Can Only Be Found In Ibadan. by dreamwords: 12:51am On Mar 31, 2019
grin
This is ibadan, Mr op

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"My Kinsmen Are Killing My Snakes" - Ebonyi Man Cries Out! / Dog Gets Stuck While Attempting To Jump Over A Gate. See Photos / Dog Adopts A Human Pose While Cruising Down A Highway( Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.