Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,243 members, 7,818,828 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? (710 Views)

Various Reasons Why Brazil Is Not A Third World Country(photos, Video) / If All Nigerians Move To Europe, Europe Will Become A Third World Country / Is This America Or A 3rd World Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Mar 31, 2019
Poshness is all focused on the past; it’s entirely about your background. Can you trace your ancestry , and has your family been fabulously wealthy since the 15th Century? Do you have a coat of arms?

for example in the UK, many posh families are aristocratic families, most times, they are often asset rich and cash poor, they have bohemian tendencies, posh people can be found with family backgrounds in the Army, Navy and Clergy. they attend private schools, they know how to use cutlery correctly, they have supper rather than tea, they inherit furnitures from their great families ( antique.), they are ignorant of popular culture ,TV etc.

i think we need to know the difference between posh and rich. A person can be posh and live in relative poverty.

Most times in Nigeria, we do confuse having a lot of money with class or being posh;

Nigeria is a country where 10% is the normal activities of many of the rich, they never created wealth from scratch nor know how to create wealth, if we eradicate 10% from Nigeria.many of our rich will be poor but the same rich people in the midst of extreme poverty and lack of infrastructures, they still want us to believe they are posh..because they live grandiose lives in barricaded and gated communities where electricity is extremely expensive, generator is the order of the day.. basic amenities like park or sidewalks are non existence, erosion is the norm.

for example, during the last election..a picture was circulating on the internet of how election was conducted in VGC..people were sitted and waiting for their own time to vote while in another community not far away from them people were not organized and thugs threatening electorates. just because they were organized when voting in VGC does it make them posh or basically, it was an extreme case of bigmanism.

some people in Nigeria think that ordering American pizza or eating from a fancy fast food, using uber or taxify, drinking high-quality liquor, sending your children to expensive schools or universities, wearing designers clothing or having an English accent is posh but how can this be posh in a country where the life expectancy is 57 years and basic amenities are non existence.

thus, i was thinking, can a rich or wealthy individual from third world countries like Nigeria without basic amenities be posh?
Re: Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? by Ugosample(m): 8:24pm On Mar 31, 2019
Well.....
It depends really
Re: Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? by Ugosample(m): 8:29pm On Mar 31, 2019
Being posh or rich or whatever are all just labels we created to segregate ourselves.....

1 Like

Re: Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? by Nobody: 7:15am On Apr 01, 2019
Ugosample:
Well.....

It depends really

but can they be posh when they themselves are suffering from the same stuff affecting Nigeria...maybe what the have is just big manism

the elites of North Korea are more posh than the wealthy and rich in Nigeria, i know for sure many stuff there is based on merit

elites of a nation are suppose to be the main builders of the nation..they direct and lead the nation but if the elites themselves dont work or create wealth, steal govt resources, have money and dont have class, how do we expect the country to grow...i am kinda of believing in the theory that the posher the elites, the more developed the country is.

North korea with all its negative press has an efficient metro system, high raising apartments for people,electricity, has good scientists network, can develop any bomb they want to and that is a country a total sanction.
Re: Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? by Nobody: 7:22am On Apr 01, 2019
Ugosample:
Being posh or rich or whatever are all just labels we created to segregate ourselves.....

i dont think so... i believe there is hierarchy on human naturally. that is because of different abilities and mental capabilities these are not labels but real stuff..we can not compare the behavior of an illiterate and a literate..they behave differently and act differently to things likewise we can not compare a rich and a poor because they also act differently and can afford different stuff and services.. i dont see them as labels rather the natural hierarchy of social class
Re: Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? by Ugosample(m): 7:58am On Apr 01, 2019
thebosstrevor:

i dont think so... i believe there is hierarchy on human naturally. that is because of different abilities and mental capabilities these are not labels but real stuff..we can not compare the behavior of an illiterate and a literate..they behave differently and act differently to things likewise we can not compare a rich and a poor because they also act differently and can afford different stuff and services.. i dont see them as labels rather the natural hierarchy of social class
precisely my point

there are labels used to segregate ourselves based on certain criteria.
Re: Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? by Ugosample(m): 8:01am On Apr 01, 2019
thebosstrevor:

but can they be posh when they themselves are suffering from the same stuff affecting Nigeria...maybe what the have is just big manism

the elites of North Korea are more posh than the wealthy and rich in Nigeria, i know for sure many stuff there is based on merit

elites of a nation are suppose to be the main builders of the nation..they direct and lead the nation but if the elites themselves dont work or create wealth, steal govt resources, have money and dont have class, how do we expect the country to grow...i am kinda of believing in the theory that the posher the elites, the more developed the country is.

North korea with all its negative press has an efficient metro system, high raising apartments for people,electricity, has good scientists network, can develop any bomb they want to and that is a country a total sanction.

ohhhh

I see where you are going.......

That's a valid point there.

To be termed "posh/elite" you have to be high value!
Re: Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? by Nobody: 8:21am On Apr 01, 2019
Ugosample:

ohhhh

I see where you are going.......

That's a valid point there.

To be termed "posh/elite" you have to be high value!

exactly..you need to be high value and also bring and sponsor ideas to develop your nation. posh is not about the cloth you wear, the car you drive and the big mansion you have.. i think nigerians and african-americans have the same character, they take more value in acquiring material values and big taste rather than providing real developmental asset
Re: Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? by Ugosample(m): 9:49am On Apr 01, 2019
thebosstrevor:

exactly..you need to be high value and also bring and sponsor ideas to develop your nation. posh is not about the cloth you wear, the car you drive and the big mansion you have.. i think nigerians and african-americans have the same character, they take more value in acquiring material values and big taste rather than providing real developmental asset

At last

another who thinks like me cheesy

Afro Americans and Nigerians be the same tongue

but will always be dissing each other

from behaviour and style of music (I mean these are the main sub groups that their music is ALL ABOUT MONEY AND MATERIAL THINGS )
Re: Can The Rich or Wealthy Of A Third World Country Like Nigeria Be Posh? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 01, 2019
Ugosample:

At last

another who thinks like me cheesy

Afro Americans and Nigerians be the same tongue

but will always be dissing each other

from behaviour and style of music (I mean these are the main sub groups that their music is ALL ABOUT MONEY AND MATERIAL THINGS )

hmmm...

(1) (Reply)

Upgrade Of Completed Wes Eca Report With Ican Ats / Any Country At Africa To Study / Preparation On Dubai Trip From Lagos Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.