Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) (61348 Views)

Decayed University Of Nigeria (UNN) Hostels (Graphic Photos) / Back Of UNN Female Hostel Building, Enugu Campus (Disturbing Photos) / Hilarious Post Updated On University Of Nigeria, Unn's Facebook Page (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 04, 2019
bluefilm:

You are the mumu here.

So you want to tell me that if you are paid to clean that place, you will accept the pay and do the job?

Tufiakwa.

Your own problem is even bigger. You can't read to understand.
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by oloriLFC(f): 1:31pm On Apr 04, 2019
Ttipsy:
just try.
so disgusting
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by Ttipsy(f): 1:45pm On Apr 04, 2019
oloriLFC:
so disgusting
urghh... I know.
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by CodeTemplar: 1:48pm On Apr 04, 2019
asuustrike1:

This has nothing to do with maturity but the mindset many people have towards public thing. I bet you that those students have clean toilets in their respective houses. They wear clean shoes and shirts . The university is at fault here for not doing enough. They just choke the hostels with crowd yet they have less staff to manage the place. Yes you made reference to private university, haven't you thought why many of their toilets are clean?. Why many of their students rarely mess their toilets.
No matter how over populated the hostels are, you can't justify the use of a toilet to such an extent. They should channel some of the energy they use in extra curricular activities to organise themselves to clean that place. Even of the school over populated the hostels it doesn't warrant such carelessness. BTW, I attended a notorious boarding school and tasted public school too before switching. Their maturity shouldn't start and end with selfish use of general facilities or relationship but should include organisational and moral traits.
There is no excuse for such nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 04, 2019
IgbosNIGHTMARE:

Very funny
Put camera in the toilet?
who does that?
Better still, employ the securities to monitor them after use.
Where not here when somebody complained of CCTV camera in their office toilet?
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by echodrum(m): 4:48pm On Apr 04, 2019
greenprince:

Invalid argument.
You say damn the govt I provide everything for myself from private school to private guards and my generator serves my power needs.
Why don't you get a private passport and travel with it.
I am not sure about what you are talking about.. But if you expect students to take a day off to clean toilet that is supposed to be cleaned by government paid staffs. Then there is nothing wrong with you taking a day off to go around repairing bad roads and fixing electric poles around your community.
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by frankosivue(m): 4:52pm On Apr 04, 2019
wanger50:
I wish you guys have an opportunity of checking out how toilets are well taking care of by ABU management and her students. I'm sure,in the end people from that region will now come and be blaming northerners for the poor condition of their toilets.
correct.
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by greenprince(m): 5:19pm On Apr 04, 2019
echodrum:
I am not sure about what you are talking about.. But if you expect students to take a day off to clean toilet that is supposed to be cleaned by government paid staffs. Then there is nothing wrong with you taking a day off to go around repairing bad roads and fixing electric poles around your community.

Roads wear out, potholes develop and that's nobody's fault.
Electric poles don't fall because people push them.

But toilets only look that horrible because people used it wrongly.
The govt shouldn't waste money on cleaners when students decide to behave like uncultured beasts.
It may interest you to know that while students in private schools in Nigeria have their classes swept for them, pupils in Japan do the cleaning themselves to instil discipline in them.
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by Greatzeus(m): 6:01pm On Apr 04, 2019
Adanairaland:
Jeezzz...

Some peeps are dirty oo..
Why will you use the toilet and then dump the tissue on the floor?
Is there no water to flush Immediately?

Do you guys have to wait for the cleaners?

Una no dey wash toilet for una house?

BTW, Do youu guys poo on the door too?
Ada,are you asking us Nairalanders or UNN female students? You funny seriously grin
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by themanderon: 6:19pm On Apr 04, 2019
Yeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! what a hideous sight to behold haaaaaaa!!!! If the cleaners ain't working at least the students can organize themselves and do the needful. I won't be able to recover from that sight soon.
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by echodrum(m): 6:25pm On Apr 04, 2019
greenprince:

Roads wear out, potholes develop and that's nobody's fault.
Electric poles don't fall because people push them.

But toilets only look that horrible because people used it wrongly.
The govt shouldn't waste money on cleaners when students decide to behave like uncultured beasts.
It may interest you to know that while students in private schools in Nigeria have their classes swept for them, pupils in Japan do the cleaning themselves to instil discipline in them.
Roads wear out because users like me and you are making use of it. The toilets are messed up because students make use of it on daily basis. How wrongly were they using the toilets? Were they supposed to eat the paper after using it or clean after themselves with their hands?. By the way we are talking about Government own school here. Sir, do you clean after yourself after using Government airport toilets or any other Government owned properties?.
You said Government should not waste money on cleaners. So why not tell the school management to return the money they have been receiving from Government to pay cleaners?. And also let the students go to school for free so that they can make out time to clean after themselves instead of wasting time on hustling for school fees and hostel money?.
Has Nigeria Government done to her citizens the same thing Japanese Government did to thier citizens? Am talking about providing citizens with needed infrastructures?. Which discipline do you want to instill on people you did not provide enabling environment to practice disciplined life?.

1 Like

Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by Kolping: 7:52pm On Apr 04, 2019
The unfortunate thing is that when you visit the Vice Chancellor of the University of Nigeria's office, the toilet he and his staff use has running water and cleaners on standby.

Even academic staff don't have proper toilets to use in their office buildings. Most use the nearby bushes to urinate, both male and female, professors and graduate assistants. If you need to do number 2, then you're in for trouble - you'll have to go back home if you live nearby or ...

Yet Vice Chancellors of Nigerian universities junket around the world collecting estacode under the guise of seeking collaboration with foreign universities. They see how universities are run with proper facilities for staff and students. Why not as a first step reduce some of these expensive foreign trips and use the income from student fees to provide basic facilities like running water for toilets in and pay cleaners adequately.

The first use of a flush toilet dates back to the 18th century. This is 2019...
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by Kolping: 8:04pm On Apr 04, 2019
Meanwhile...in other news

Nigeria’s Embassy In Russia Lacks Functional Toilet, Says Shehu Sani

https://www.nairaland.com/5116929/nigerias-embassy-russia-lacks-functional

1 Like

Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by HigherEd: 8:04pm On Apr 04, 2019
Hello codetemplar
Pls can you send me your email?.. Would like to know you off nairaland.
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by sly3(m): 2:20am On Apr 05, 2019
Nna ehn! Gaskiya, eleyi le

My quick take. The main problem here is not the inability of the Schools' Management to provide and maintain hostel facilities. We all know Nigerian public institutions are overpopulated. Overcrowded lecture halls, 8 people to a room, 2-3 rooms to a toilet in some hostels, and so on.

I think the major problem is that of a youth demography that cannot take responsibility for herself. In the institution I attended, each hostel had an elected Hostel Rep who had a free room to himself amongst other perks where others paid to own 1/8 of a room. Bros, wetin you dey do? If the cleaners don't do their job, make them or better still if the terms of their employment makes it impossible for them to function properly, draw up a roster or get people to contribute and hire private cleaners but most importantly there should be consequences for such inhumane behavior.

Sadly though, 4-5 years in such an environment can make people unlearn the simple art of knowing how to sh*t. I remember during my NYSC camp, after 3 days off living in hell, my hostel came together and agreed to contribute #100 each for toilet maintenance since the cleaners were in incognito mode. I decided to take the job on the condition that the toilets would be washed once daily and any one caught messing it up would be forced to wash all of the toilets (resistance would mean a one on one with the Camp Commandant). After a couple of days with a couple of scape goats, we got used to being human again.

My point, there are lots of students in these institutions who can barely feed themselves. The Hostel Reps can get approval to levy members for toilet maintenance (this can be done in collaboration with the SUG), get volunteers from members to take responsibility in exchange for a reasonable token and enforce reasonable sanctions to ensure compliance.

We need to take responsibility and stop blaming the Government for everything. We are the Government!
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by greenprince(m): 6:50am On Apr 05, 2019
echodrum:
Roads wear out because users like me and you are making use of it. The toilets are messed up because students make use of it on daily basis. How wrongly were they using the toilets? Were they supposed to eat the paper after using it or clean after themselves with their hands?. By the way we are talking about Government own school here. Sir, do you clean after yourself after using Government airport toilets or any other Government owned properties?.
You said Government should not waste money on cleaners. So why not tell the school management to return the money they have been receiving from Government to pay cleaners?. And also let the students go to school for free so that they can make out time to clean after themselves instead of wasting time on hustling for school fees and hostel money?.
Has Nigeria Government done to her citizens the same thing Japanese Government did to thier citizens? Am talking about providing citizens with needed infrastructures?. Which discipline do you want to instill on people you did not provide enabling environment to practice disciplined life?.

Your line of thought really amazes me. How much does it cost to fix a dilapidated road that probably begins to wear off in maybe 6 years?

Now compare that with how much it costs to fix toilets that won't need fixing at all if everyone will just be sensible and clean it after usage.
If you'd prefer the govt renovate toilets every 3 months because of a bunch of irresponsible adults or for them to pay cleaners to come slave for students, I'll just ask if you're willing to be one of the cleaners.
Those toilets will be blocked with all sorts of things, messed up, and probably vandalised even by those same students with or without cleaners.
.....and no one needs an enabling environment to practice discipline. You start where you are, I started with keeping my corner and hostel area clean in sec school and way into uni I've never had hygiene issues with anybody plus my hostel them was never the best.
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by echodrum(m): 1:44pm On Apr 05, 2019
greenprince:

Your line of thought really amazes me. How much does it cost to fix a dilapidated road that probably begins to wear off in maybe 6 years?

Now compare that with how much it costs to fix toilets that won't need fixing at all if everyone will just be sensible and clean it after usage.
If you'd prefer the govt renovate toilets every 3 months because of a bunch of irresponsible adults or for them to pay cleaners to come slave for students, I'll just ask if you're willing to be one of the cleaners.
Those toilets will be blocked with all sorts of things, messed up, and probably vandalised even by those same students with or without cleaners.
.....and no one needs an enabling environment to practice discipline. You start where you are, I started with keeping my corner and hostel area clean in sec school and way into uni I've never had hygiene issues with anybody plus my hostel them was never the best.

I still don't understand why you want students to take a day off to clean
toilets.

1. Are those student paying tuition fees If yes what are the tuition fees for?
3. Are they employed cleaners in the school if yes what are their duties?
4. Do the Government give schools money for maintenance?
5. Do lecturers clean their own toilets?
6. When you were at the university were you cleaning your toilet?

I think those students are the victims here and not the aggressors. But how you totally ignored the failure of the school management to take up their responsibilities is very interesting to me.
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by Ecpet83(m): 1:27pm On Mar 24, 2020
oloriLFC:
Which kain evil view be this? Someone cannot eat okra soup in peace now undecided
I can teach you how to UNSEE shirt if you want to.
Re: Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) by Jovi123(f): 3:57pm On Mar 24, 2020
Thank God am staying off

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The 6 Youngest PhD Holders In Nigeria (Photos) / Sex For Grades: Kiki Mordi Who Exposed Universities Lecturers Never Graduated / John Paul Nwaezeigwe Graduates With First Class From A Univesity In Canada. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.