Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,375 members, 7,954,516 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:54 PM

My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: (4008 Views)

Our Grouse With Kumuyi And His Fellow Hypocritical Daddy GOs / Wike: My Grouse With Saraki, Tambuwal, Other Northern PDP Presidential Aspirants / Tunubu And The Eko Atlantic Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 3:59pm On Apr 03, 2019
The much hyped EKO Atlantic real estate development is on full blast and will hopefully be completed within schedule and i am deeply troubled.
Some months ago, i was on tour of the site and i did not see any NigeriaN working on the project besides menia labour.
The engineers and developers to the BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE were foreigners.

We the masses fight ourselves everyday whilst the largest real estate development in recent Nigerian history is parceled out to foreigners!!
Maybe we don't have the skills but i was unable to find any plan for transfer of knowledge/learning experience.

The Contractors are China Communications Construction Group, a company that works in the field of marine dredging and landfill operation. Consultants are Royal Haskoning (traffic and transport expertise) and ar+h Architects. South Energyx Nigeria Ltd. a subsidiary of the Chagoury group was specifically created to undertake the development. Testing of the sea defence system took place at the DHI Institute in Copenhagen, Denmark, where models were successfully tested for one-in-a-hundred-year ocean surges, and one-in-120-year, one-in-150-year and one-in-1,000-year storms.

Wake the fuccck up people.

2 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:06pm On Apr 03, 2019
come on bro, what did you expect?! with all the corner cutting and building collapsing in the news, you really believe they wanted some scandal with such a big project as this one....?!

before that nko? isnt Berger the main player in building roads and bridges?!

5 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 5:06pm On Apr 03, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
come on bro, what did you expect?! with all the corner cutting and building collapsing in the news, you really believe they wanted some scandal with such a big project as this one....?!

before that nko? isnt Berger the main player in building roads and bridges?!

I know we don’t have the man power but projects like this should be a huge learning and growth experience for everyone

3 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:16pm On Apr 03, 2019
magicminister:

I know we don’t have the man power but projects like this should be a huge learning and growth experience for everyone

as on a deadline, they have no time to teach people nor waste valuable resources on educating people. this is too big of a project to leave any chance for failure or having irrelevant people running around on site.

next one will be better for educating locals!

3 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 5:22pm On Apr 03, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

as on a deadline, they have no time to teach people nor waste valuable resources on educating people. this is too big of a project to leave any chance for failure or having irrelevant people running around on site.

next one will be better for educating locals!

It’s not a waste of resources to empower our people.
Guys, we need to wake up man.

I don’t wanna die and still have a country that isn’t up to scratch with most countries on earth!

2 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by HigherEd: 5:22pm On Apr 03, 2019
To be very honest, the most important thing is that the buildings don't collapse on its residence. And I am sorry I don't trust the Nigerian University system and her products...

4 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 5:32pm On Apr 03, 2019
HigherEd:
To be very honest, the most important thing is that the buildings don't collapse on its residence. And I am sorry I don't trust the Nigerian University system and her products...

What about making a contract that mandates foreign contractors to teach Nigerians the job and ensure Nigerians do the jobs while they supervise and inspect?

2 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:43pm On Apr 03, 2019
magicminister:

It’s not a waste of resources to empower our people.
Guys, we need to wake up man.

I don’t wanna die and still have a country that isn’t up to scratch with most countries on earth!

bro , you have to 1st understand how this biz work....

there is a project and the company who won the bid for such project gave a BUDGET and a DEADLINE to finish such project. now, if you want these people to spend more time completing such project (in order to teach and tell people why they do what they do), then A) it will be a bigger budget and B) a different deadline, because IT TAKES TIME to do what you wish they'd do.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by HigherEd: 6:20pm On Apr 03, 2019
magicminister:

What about making a contract that mandates foreign contractors to teach Nigerians the job and ensure Nigerians do the jobs while they supervise and inspect?
That's fine

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by fykes(m): 6:29pm On Apr 03, 2019
HigherEd:
There's absolutely nothing a foreign engineer does better than a Nigerian engineer. Just that here in Naija quacks and apprenticeship has made engineering look like hawking.
I have worked for years with engineers from China, Philippines, turkey, South Korea and Indians. They can't put up or iinovate the way we do. They just have an air of superiority bcoz they know the black man has little regards for his kin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 6:48pm On Apr 03, 2019
fykes:

There's absolutely nothing a foreign engineer does better than a Nigerian engineer. Just that here in Naija quacks and apprenticeship has made engineering look like hawking.
I have worked for years with engineers from China, Philippines, turkey, South Korea and Indians. They can't put up or iinovate the way we do. They just have an air of superiority bcoz they know the black man has little regards for his kin

Thank you my brother.
Everyone before you acted like i said something abominable. We are the largest black nation on earth, we have to begin dominating the world in all spheres.

Every other year, our little ones win science competitions ahead of Asia and North America, our athletes represent other countries and become gold medalists, our scientists get snatched by other countries and become hot shots.

We need to begin building capacity back home. COREN should be forcefully pushing for laws that will empower engineers and STEM graduates to get more into the practice.

We are Nigeria and we are the biggest black nation on earth. We have the talent, skills and man power to lead and shape the course of this world!

3 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by fykes(m): 7:00pm On Apr 03, 2019
magicminister:

Thank you my brother.
Everyone before you acted like i said something abominable. We are the largest black nation on earth, we have to begin dominating the world in all spheres.

Every other year, our little ones win science competitions ahead of Asia and North America, our athletes represent other countries and become gold medalists, our scientists get snatched by other countries and become hot shots.

We need to begin building capacity back home. COREN should be forcefully pushing for laws that will empower engineers and STEM graduates to get more into the practice.

We are Nigeria and we are the biggest black nation on earth. We have the talent, skills and man power to lead and shape the course of this world!
COREN can't forcefully do nothing, it's not empowered by law to do anything. A law was recently passed to give effect and special status to engineering graduates. But believe me our problem is that sharp practices translates to smartness and this lifestyle is ingrained in Nigerians at all levels and works of life.
I like ur believe in Nigeria, but bros, the only reason they engage this big foreign nationals is bcoz they can easily launder huge amounts of money through this companies. Most of properties acquired by politicians and governor's and presidents all over the world are done thru the accounts of big cooperations and banks in the guise of contracts awarded.

3 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by OLUWABIG(m): 7:16pm On Apr 03, 2019
seriously i love the project but have not seen and development there since like two years now upon the recent videos have seen

so op it would be nice if you can help us with pictures
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:24pm On Apr 03, 2019
fykes:

I like ur believe in Nigeria, but bros, the only reason they engage this big foreign nationals is bcoz they can easily launder huge amounts of money through this companies. Most of properties acquired by politicians and governor's and presidents all over the world are done thru the accounts of big cooperations and banks in the guise of contracts awarded.

so you dont believe that many would rather employ foreign firm because of the ethic and lack of "cutting corners" mentality? there are many African construction firms abroad who could do these jobs, if it was really just about money laundering.... or better yet, creating their own firm abroad to give themselves the project and make twice as much money to launder...?

fykes:

pls care to share JUST ONE INSTANCE where Nigerian engineers innovate better that foreign ones?!

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Hedonisst: 7:27pm On Apr 03, 2019
fykes:

Stay there and be making yeye mouth. You're comparing your incompetent self to Chinese, Indians and Koreans. How funny does that sound! Just stay in your lane abeg.

3 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 7:36pm On Apr 03, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

so you dont believe that many would rather employ foreign firm because of the ethic and lack of "cutting corners" mentality? there are many African construction firms abroad who could do these jobs, if it was really just about money laundering.... or better yet, creating their own firm abroad to give themselves the project and make twice as much money to launder...?

pls care to share JUST ONE INSTANCE where Nigerian engineers innovate better that foreign ones?!

Nigerian born engineers go abroad and perform wonders.

Even our children are intellectually better than theirs but our environment has been made extremely harsh due to wickedly incompetent leaders.

-A Nigerian born and raised doctor was the first to operate on unborn babies in the womb.

- a Nigerian born and raised scientist leads drone innovation for us military

- a Nigerian born scientist helped with the development of internet

- Nigerian born children constantly win science and innovation competition ahead of Asia and north America

Bro, we have the talent and skills but we need a visionary leaders and strong institutions.

3 Likes

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by fykes(m): 7:40pm On Apr 03, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

U will have to be an engineer to appreciate any of that. U obviously won't understand and I am fine with it
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 7:42pm On Apr 03, 2019
fykes:

U will have to be an engineer to appreciate any of that. U obviously won't understand and I am fine with it

A lot of people just worship the white skin.
Nigerians abroad are innovating and breaking boundaries in all spheres!
We need to build capacity back home and that is all I’m trying to say.

I love your mindset man!
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by fykes(m): 7:42pm On Apr 03, 2019
Hedonisst:

Stay there and be making yeye mouth. You're comparing your incompetent self to Chinese, Indians and Koreans. How funny does that sound! Just stay in your lane abeg.
The world is bigger than ur handset and Nairaland son.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:45pm On Apr 03, 2019
fykes:

fair enough... and likewise, you will have to be a BUSINESSMAN to understand why people prefer to give their big projects to foreign firms, rather than local ones!
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 7:46pm On Apr 03, 2019
Hedonisst:

Let’s try and keep it civil bro..

I have Been to so many countries I stopped counting and have worked with people from different race and cultures.

From personal experience, I can confidently say that Nigeria has so much talent its crazy.

We just have an unstable society as a result of the political class.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by deomelo: 7:47pm On Apr 03, 2019
magicminister:
The much hyped EKO Atlantic real estate development is on full blast and will hopefully be completed within schedule and i am deeply troubled.
Some months ago, i was on tour of the site and i did not see any NigeriaN working on the project besides menia labour.
The engineers and developers to the BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE were foreigners.

We the masses fight ourselves everyday whilst the largest real estate development in recent Nigerian history is parceled out to foreigners!!
Maybe we don't have the skills but i was unable to find any plan for transfer of knowledge/learning experience.

The Contractors are China Communications Construction Group, a company that works in the field of marine dredging and landfill operation. Consultants are Royal Haskoning (traffic and transport expertise) and ar+h Architects. South Energyx Nigeria Ltd. a subsidiary of the Chagoury group was specifically created to undertake the development. Testing of the sea defence system took place at the DHI Institute in Copenhagen, Denmark, where models were successfully tested for one-in-a-hundred-year ocean surges, and one-in-120-year, one-in-150-year and one-in-1,000-year storms.

Wake the fuccck up people.

I guess we should not accept foreign investments, we should not progress and develop or even create jobs for Nigerians until we secure the skill and are in a opposition to execute our projects.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 7:49pm On Apr 03, 2019
deomelo:

I guess we should not accept foreign investments, we should not progress and develop or even create jobs for Nigerians until we secure the skill and are in a opposition to execute our projects.

Its not creating jobs for Nigerians if the workers are foreigner and don’t even pay taxes. It does not create jobs for us if we can’t even maintain it in the future Due to lack of skills. If we don’t have a skill share and transfer them we will be perpetually dependent on the foreign contractors.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by fykes(m): 7:49pm On Apr 03, 2019
magicminister:

A lot of people just worship the white skin.
Nigerians abroad are innovating and breaking boundaries in all spheres!
We need to build capacity back home and that is all I’m trying to say.

I love your mindset man!
They are breaking broundaries becos they are afforded the environment and trust it takes to innovate. Innovation is risk and encouragement. The Nigerian engineers faces a peculiar problem of distrust( no fault of his) our school system teaches u to follow a set of principles when there are more ways to get it done. The whites are more trusting and helpful. If u ever work with them or have a foreign Lecturer, u will understand why our people do well abroad.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by fykes(m): 7:58pm On Apr 03, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

fair enough... and likewise, you will have to be a BUSINESSMAN to understand why people prefer to give their big projects to foreign firms, rather than local ones!
Have u heard of PRINCELOG GROUP? I done more business in the last 7 years in 5 different sectors of the economy and we are still making inroads for more sectors. We hope to have market presence in 8 sectors by 2020. As for ur submission, the black man will always feel inferior to a white skin until he has travelled outside. It's ur right to have a complex but don't go around trying to justify it by claiming others are incompetent. Go to ph and see that all the oil servicing firms are Nigerians. producing for multinationals and keeping them running.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:09pm On Apr 03, 2019
fykes:
As for ur submission, the black man will always feel inferior to a white skin until he has travelled outside.

so to you, foreign firms automatically means white skin (before meaning ETHIC/SAFETY etc)?! dude, you are the one with the inferiority complex...

It's ur right to have a complex but don't go around trying to justify it by claiming others are incompetent.

pls do show us all where i said that others were incompetent....or just be quiet if you have nothing to write online.

Go to ph and see that all the oil servicing firms are Nigerians. producing for multinationals and keeping them running.

... and therefore for that matter, Nigerian firms should build Eko Atlantic, abi?!? ARRANT NONSENSE!!!!!

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by fykes(m): 8:16pm On Apr 03, 2019
It's normal for the uninformed to throw tantrums when u confront them with facts.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by otokx(m): 8:24pm On Apr 03, 2019
The problem with Nigerians in Nigeria is the corrupt mentality.

You say one thing today and tomorrow the direct opposite because someone has giving you bribe at home.

Corruption has disvirgined the Nigerian psyche though there are few exceptions.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by deomelo: 8:25pm On Apr 03, 2019
magicminister:

Its not creating jobs for Nigerians if the workers are foreigner and don’t even pay taxes. It does not create jobs for us if we can’t even maintain it in the future Due to lack of skills. If we don’t have a skill share and transfer them we will be perpetually dependent on the foreign contractors.

This has little to do with skills transfer because we have billionaires and millionaires with the same financial capacity to invest in such projects and even start such companies or front Nigerians with construction, architectural and engineering skills to join forces and compete for such projects.

It is up to us to to take the bull by the horn, it's not the job of the federal government to force people into any trade or occupation and many of our billionaires apart from Dangote are not adventurous or bold enough to take up such challenges on behalf of Nigeria and Nigerians.

Now, when this project is all completed, thousands of Nigerians from general staff to suppliers and vendors are going to be working and collecting paychecks from this project.

There are tons of Nigerian architects and engineers working on and even responsible for many wonderful projects in Nigeria as we speak.

Tosin Oshinowo, a Nigerian Architect designed the Maryland mall, her knowledge was transferred from the Office of Metropolitan Architecture in Netherlands, which is run by the famous Dutch Architect, Rem Koolhaas. She also designed the 4th Mainland bridge in Lagos.

The fact that we don't see their names on the beautiful projects we see everyday doesn't mean Nigerians are not doing great things.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Hedonisst: 8:34pm On Apr 03, 2019
magicminister:

Let’s try and keep it civil bro..

I have Been to so many countries I stopped counting and have worked with people from different race and cultures.

From personal experience, I can confidently say that Nigeria has so much talent its crazy.

We just have an unstable society as a result of the political class.

From my experience we don't have nearly enough of "so much talent". It's a game of numbers. If by talent, you mean being good enough to be mere cogs in the wheel, especially when working overseas, or being good enough to reinvent the wheel (which is what our people excel at), then I understand that. Innovators? Outliers? Too few.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Rosskii: 8:47pm On Apr 03, 2019
HigherEd:

Strange, since those ''products'' are excelling in their respective fields all over the world.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Festus Keyamo, Standing Before The Senate For Confirmation, The Most Impressive / Nnamdi Kanu gets permanently blocked on Facebook / University Of Medical Science (UNIMED) Ondo State New School Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.