Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,637 members, 7,958,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:44 AM

My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: (4012 Views)

Our Grouse With Kumuyi And His Fellow Hypocritical Daddy GOs / Wike: My Grouse With Saraki, Tambuwal, Other Northern PDP Presidential Aspirants / Tunubu And The Eko Atlantic Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Rosskii: 8:50pm On Apr 03, 2019
Hedonisst:

From my experience we don't have nearly enough of "so much talent". It's a game of numbers. If by talent, you mean being good enough to be mere cogs in the wheel, especially when working overseas, or being good enough to reinvent the wheel (which is what our people excel at), then I understand that. Innovators? Outliers? Too few.

Do you realise that thousands of patents are owned by Nigerian inventors and innovators in respective fields across the world? If I post data from Nigerians in the USA alone it will make your head spin.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by OBAGADAFFI: 8:55pm On Apr 03, 2019
magicminister:

It’s not a waste of resources to empower our people.
Guys, we need to wake up man.

I don’t wanna die and still have a country that isn’t up to scratch with most countries on earth!

The blame is on our Local Politicians.

Nigerian Building Engineers are getting big jobs in UAE, SAUDI, alover Europe.

But our local Politicians love to mask behind Foreigners.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by deomelo: 8:56pm On Apr 03, 2019
HigherEd:
To be very honest, the most important thing is that the buildings don't collapse on its residence. And I am sorry I don't trust the Nigerian University system and her products...

And the foreign entities can not wait to snatch the same Nigerian trained professionals via brain drain just like Saudi Arabia drained away Nigerian trained doctors a few days ago?

Stop disrespecting and undervaluing your self worth

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 9:04pm On Apr 03, 2019
deomelo:

And the foreign entities can not wait to snatch the same Nigerian trained professionals via brain drain just like Saudi Arabia drained away Nigerian trained doctors a few days ago?

Stop disrespecting and undervaluing your self worth

You’re too much. A lot of Nigerians have been defeated mentally. We can do it!
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by deomelo: 9:07pm On Apr 03, 2019

Famfa Oil Tower, Corner of Alfred Rewane (Kingsway) Road and Olawole

Adeniyi Coker Consultants Limited (ACCL) is a multi-disciplinary practice with over 30 Architects and Engineers, based in Lagos Nigeria. We aim to maintain ...
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by deomelo: 9:16pm On Apr 03, 2019

Nestoil Towers

Adeniyi Coker Consultants Limited (ACCL) is a multi-disciplinary practice with over 30 Architects and Engineers, based in Lagos Nigeria. We aim to maintain ...
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by deomelo: 9:30pm On Apr 03, 2019

Architects,
Project Managers
& Urban Designers

'Bayo Odunlami- MD/CEO.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by forgiveness: 10:00pm On Apr 03, 2019
MrBrownJay1:

as on a deadline, they have no time to teach people nor waste valuable resources on educating people. this is too big of a project to leave any chance for failure or having irrelevant people running around on site.

next one will be better for educating locals!

The Lebanese-Nigerian behind Azuri Towers development said he's transferring the technology to Nigerians. In fact, he has a school for that.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 11:40pm On Apr 03, 2019
forgiveness:

The Lebanese-Nigerian behind Azuri Towers development said he's transferring the technology to Nigerians. In fact, he has a school for that.

What school is that bro?
That would be really great news if true... Skill transfer is not something you really learn in school. Its something that happens on the job where you watch the more experienced people do it and then try to replicate it under their supervision until you're able to comfortably do it yourself.
An individual going to such school would be wasting their time and money.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by forgiveness: 12:41am On Apr 04, 2019
magicminister:

What school is that bro?
That would be really great news if true... Skill transfer is not something you really learn in school. Its something that happens on the job where you watch the more experienced people do it and then try to replicate it under their supervision until you're able to comfortably do it yourself.
An individual going to such school would be wasting their time and money.

Most of those learning it in their school are their employees working on various projects.

In short, the idea was to train Nigerians to meet up with their company's demand.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Lopeztranto(f): 12:48am On Apr 04, 2019
fykes:

There's absolutely nothing a foreign engineer does better than a Nigerian engineer. Just that here in Naija quacks and apprenticeship has made engineering look like hawking.
I have worked for years with engineers from China, Philippines, turkey, South Korea and Indians. They can't put up or iinovate the way we do. They just have an air of superiority bcoz they know the black man has little regards for his kin

Emenekwe is that you??
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by jesmond3945: 3:06am On Apr 04, 2019
Op is hundred percent right, anybody that doesnt agree with him is suffering from inferiority and slave mentality. There are many blacks in the diaspora that can do this job perfectly well. This is why the white look down us as monkeys because we behave like one. What is so special with what they are doing that a black african cannot do?They make this money move it to their country and use it to oppress us.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by magicminister: 3:24am On Apr 04, 2019
jesmond3945:
Op is hundred percent right, anybody that doesnt agree with him is suffering from inferiority and slave mentality. There are many blacks in the diaspora that can do this job perfectly well. This is why the white look down us as monkeys because we behave like one. What is so special with what they are doing that a black african cannot do?They make this money move it to their country and use it to oppress us.

Your head Dey there.

We are here fight ourselves when we can all unite and face the common enemy.
See, I might not like an Igbo or Yoruba or Hausa person but our continent is being raped and other countries are leaving us behind.

If we manage to have the Chinese build a borehole, we commission it.... we all have to rise up. This country can be great in our lifetime. We have lost too many talents to foreign countries and have failed to give emerging talents a chance to flourish.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Nobody: 3:47am On Apr 04, 2019
@OP

The project is a PPP model i.e public, private sector partnership. The private sector is financing the project and therefore can be be expected to have total freedom over recruitment of staff to work on Eko Atlantic. We need to stop overthinking issues in Nigeria and refrain from a mentality of avoiding the bigger picture to then be seeing problems where there is non. This is a powerful project and the benefits will be huge. Foreigners partnered with Nigeria to make it happen.

Instead of worrying about the non-inclusion of Nigerian at staffing level, start a campaign for many of our very rich politicians and business leaders to conceive and fund projects like these. They can then have the freedom to employ Nigerians labour to fill 100% of vacancies if they desire. If you don't need others then you control your destiny 100%. If you need others now, then work to not need them in future at any level. We need others desperately yet I don't see us working to ensure we don't in future.

Yes Nigerian labour can be deemed competent but financing these projects are considerations the likes of Elumelu, Otudeko, Dangote et al may not back. Those who provide the cash will have a say over issues such as staffing. If I am a Lebanese financier of a Nigerian project then I will employ my qualified cousin from Lebanon rather than a Nigerian as I owe Nigeria nothing. I am already helping them develop their Country with my cash and knowledge so why should my people not benefit? Why should the onus of developing/employing Nigerian human resources fall on me and not Nigerians themselves?

When , as an example, Dino Melaye puts billions into luxury cars that depreciates in value daily, instead of projects of infrastructure that will seal his legacy and outlast him, you begin to appreciate the black man's burden and how he is a prisoner to his own shallow values and belief system. I get your point but you also need to get the most important consideration here which is that things are the way they are because we Nigerians let it be that way. We don't show sufficient interest in taking charge of processes that will accelerate our own development. if we did, we will not be importing so much goods, services and direct labour as we do today.

1 Like

Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by jesmond3945: 11:31am On Apr 04, 2019
magicminister:

Your head Dey there.

We are here fight ourselves when we can all unite and face the common enemy.
See, I might not like an Igbo or Yoruba or Hausa person but our continent is being raped and other countries are leaving us behind.

If we manage to have the Chinese build a borehole, we commission it.... we all have to rise up. This country can be great in our lifetime. We have lost too many talents to foreign countries and have failed to give emerging talents a chance to flourish.
my brother the thing is so bad that even a 5 year old white kid looks down on a 40 year old black man and some people are spewing rubbish, people with no iota of self worth.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by tck2000(m): 7:28pm On Aug 24, 2019
Seen
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by F117nighthawk: 8:37pm On Aug 24, 2019
What do u expect bro,in a country that doesn't value his own people and skills, we always prefer every thing foreign, even if we don't have the equipments, the manpower is surely there,this nonsense can only happen in Nigeria where almost everything is imported,this is what I called second colonisation, we complain our people are jobless and have nothing to do,how will there be jobs when we have virtually contracted almost everything in production and manufacturing to the Chinese and Co, and yet we want to develop our economy? AWON AKO TI LE TA,
A good example is HITECH an indigenous road construction company they built lekki epe road expansion, ajah bridge,new airport road, able egba bridge and Co,their road and Bridge work quality are by far better that the rubbish CCECC engineering own by Chinese roads work all over lagos and parts of the country
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 24, 2019
Apart from the moneybags and thieving politicians, the only Nigerians that will have any part in the history of Eko Atlantic City are those people whose communities would be submerged by flood in years to come. No thanks to Tinubu's brilliant idea!
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:49pm On Aug 24, 2019
It's not he same story all over Nigeria. Foreigners have taken over the lucrative jobs and contracts in the economy
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:03pm On Aug 24, 2019
Oshigun:
@OP

The project is a PPP model i.e public, private sector partnership. The private sector is financing the project and therefore can be be expected to have total freedom over recruitment of staff to work on Eko Atlantic. We need to stop overthinking issues in Nigeria and refrain from a mentality of avoiding the bigger picture to then be seeing problems where there is non. This is a powerful project and the benefits will be huge. Foreigners partnered with Nigeria to make it happen.

Instead of worrying about the non-inclusion of Nigerian at staffing level, start a campaign for many of our very rich politicians and business leaders to conceive and fund projects like these. They can then have the freedom to employ Nigerians labour to fill 100% of vacancies if they desire. If you don't need others then you control your destiny 100%. If you need others now, then work to not need them in future at any level. We need others desperately yet I don't see us working to ensure we don't in future.

Yes Nigerian labour can be deemed competent but financing these projects are considerations the likes of Elumelu, Otudeko, Dangote et al may not back. Those who provide the cash will have a say over issues such as staffing. If I am a Lebanese financier of a Nigerian project then I will employ my qualified cousin from Lebanon rather than a Nigerian as I owe Nigeria nothing. I am already helping them develop their Country with my cash and knowledge so why should my people not benefit? Why should the onus of developing/employing Nigerian human resources fall on me and not Nigerians themselves?

When , as an example, Dino Melaye puts billions into luxury cars that depreciates in value daily, instead of projects of infrastructure that will seal his legacy and outlast him, you begin to appreciate the black man's burden and how he is a prisoner to his own shallow values and belief system. I get your point but you also need to get the most important consideration here which is that things are the way they are because we Nigerians let it be that way. We don't show sufficient interest in taking charge of processes that will accelerate our own development. if we did, we will not be importing so much goods, services and direct labour as we do today.

You are totally wrong.
You have no idea what the role of a functional government in a normal society should be.

Arab money finances projects all over Europe and North America but the governments of these regions will never sacrifice local jobs.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by F117nighthawk: 9:03pm On Aug 24, 2019
HigherEd:
To be very honest, the most important thing is that the buildings don't collapse on its residence. And I am sorry I don't trust the Nigerian University system and her products...
Show us examples of how many building have collapsed that are built by qualified Nigerian architect and engineers in lagos and parts s of the country? Apart from the ones done by quacks and local developers who are non professionals in ISALE EKO,Mushin, bariga and All the local areas who engages quacks for their works?people like u are the ones killing and not encouraging the system, AWON AKOTILE TA
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by F117nighthawk: 9:11pm On Aug 24, 2019
Hedonisst:

Stay there and be making yeye mouth. You're comparing your incompetent self to Chinese, Indians and Koreans. How funny does that sound! Just stay in your lane abeg.

U are just an inferior black man,tell me what's the big deal with these Chinese, Indians and Koreans u talk about, is it not the West that developed their economy and manufacturing base?if we look inwards and encourage our own, u will be amazed at what Nigerians will do
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Juliearth(f): 5:06am On Aug 25, 2020
magicminister:

I know we don’t have the man power but projects like this should be a huge learning and growth experience for everyone

Trust me sir, we do! However, it has always being our culture to downplay indigenous talents. These expatriates aren't any better. Most of them learn on the job and I believe our people can too, if the opportunity is availed to them.
Re: My Grouse With The Eko Atlantic Project :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: by Juliearth(f): 5:08am On Aug 25, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
come on bro, what did you expect?! with all the corner cutting and building collapsing in the news, you really believe they wanted some scandal with such a big project as this one....?!

before that nko? isnt Berger the main player in building roads and bridges?!

The menace of quackery is common in very country and profession. However, that there are a few quacks doesn't mean every engineer is a quack.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is Nigeria's Best Senate President Ever? / How Fulanis Destroyed Hausa Tribe And Made The Hausa People Their Slaves. MNK / See The Locations Of Gazzetted Grazing Reserves And Routes In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.