Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,814 members, 7,956,078 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:35 AM

The Love Grotto - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Love Grotto (77975 Views)

The Love Peddler (18+) / The Love Doctor / The Love Virus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Love Grotto by skubido(m): 1:35pm On Oct 01, 2019
Zamar:

Congrats wink

Must you quote all the update, haba
Re: The Love Grotto by PrudySara(f): 10:49am On Oct 02, 2019
I just hope his boss won't be a problem... Why is she calling to tell him that she's pregnant.

Thanks for the update
Re: The Love Grotto by Zamar: 9:10am On Oct 03, 2019
skubido:

Must you quote all the update, haba

If you read it well, you will see that I didn't quote all.
Re: The Love Grotto by Tonyspecial(m): 7:09pm On Oct 03, 2019
Zamar:

If you read it well, you will see that I didn't quote all.
Stop Quoting Biko
Re: The Love Grotto by Zamar: 11:40am On Oct 04, 2019
Tonyspecial:
Stop Quoting Biko

And what did you just do?
Re: The Love Grotto by Zamar: 11:41am On Oct 04, 2019
Tonyspecial:
Stop Quoting Biko

Re: The Love Grotto by Zamar: 11:41am On Oct 04, 2019
Tonyspecial:
Stop Quoting Biko

Re: The Love Grotto by Ann2012(f): 10:18pm On Oct 04, 2019
The father to be...Frank, well done oooo

Thanks for the update
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 3:37pm On Oct 06, 2019
I wondered the source of her happiness. ‘I’m happy for you, madam,’ I said without thinking much about what I had said.

‘Yes, you should be. I’m at that hospital and I’ve just got the medical report that I’m three weeks pregnant. Oh, Francis, thank you so much.’

The smile froze on my face. ‘I’m …I’m happy for you, madam,’ I managed to say.

‘Yes o. I just called to inform you and to say thank you once again.’

‘You’re welcome, madam. Congratulations.’

‘Thanks, Francis. I know everything will turn out well and when it’s time for delivery, our baby will be a bouncing baby.’

‘I pray so, madam.’

‘Yeah. Okay, Francis, have a nice weekend.’

‘And you too, ma’am.’

The line was disconnected. Well, congratulations to her. She could now have the baby she so much desired to have. But wait a minute. Did she have to inform me that she was weeks pregnant? She had paid me off for what I did and I thought it should be a foregone matter by now.

Besides, I didn’t like the way she said ‘our baby.’ It was her baby. Whatever I had assisted her to get had become history. I shook my head, locked up my apartment and moved to the bus stop. I would not allow her zeal about her pregnancy to dampen my own zeal about my dear Ruth.

About five hours later, I was back in my apartment. Just like my first visit to her residence, I was given the red carpet treatment. From what I had seen so far, Ruth knew how to take good care of someone. If not for the fact that I had to be in the church to supervise the cleaning of the teens church again, I would have lingered in Ruth’s place.

After the cleaning, I prayed shortly with the five teens that had come around. We shared the grace and I was about to dismiss them when Ada surfaced. The choir members too had been having a rehearsal, so I wasn’t surprised to see her.

‘Good evening, Brother Francis,’ she greeted.

‘Good evening, Sister Ada.’

‘Are you through with what you were doing?’

I nodded. ‘Yes.’

‘I want to see you.’

That was not unusual. Members of the church usually said things like that.

We remained on the corridor in front of the door to the teens church. ‘Do we go inside or can we do the talking here?’ I asked.

‘I think it’s okay here.’

I nodded. ‘Alright.’

She took a deep breath in. What she wanted to say must be very important. ‘I’ve been praying to God for a life partner all this while. You know as a Christian, it’s always important to take a matter like that seriously. Well, God has just answered the prayer.’

I grinned at her. ‘Accept my hearty congratulations.’

She smiled. ‘Thank you. The congratulations go for the two of us.’

I clouded my face. ‘I don’t understand.’

Her smile became widened. ‘You’re the one God said is my life partner.’

The grin slipped from my face. I searched her face to see if she was joking, but there was no such hint.

‘Are you joking?’ I asked.

She stopped the smile too and looked serious. ‘Of course, I’m not. I dare not joke with the things of God.’

‘And you’re sure I’m the one God really told you will be the man?’

‘Yes, I’m very sure.’

It was my turn to sigh. If what she was saying was true, where would that leave Ruth? Would that mean she would never be my wife, just now that I was beginning to think that indeed Ruth and I were made for each other, despite some aversions from her mother?

Oh Lord, help me, I prayed inwardly.

‘Okay, you know what? Let me too pray about it. I’m sure if it is the Lord’s will, He will confirm it and it will come to pass.’

‘Are you doubting my words?’ she asked. I could perceive the trace of annoyance in her tone.

‘No, no. Please, try to understand. For anything such as this, God always confirms. It could be to me or even to another person. It’s just a confirmation. I have no doubt that you, Ada, will make a wonderful wife.’

My last statement seemed to please her. She relaxed and returned the smile.

‘Okay. I’ll be waiting for your confirmation.’

‘Alright. Goodnight, then.’

‘Goodnight. See you tomorrow.’

I waved at her and left the place. Well, I was already deeply involved with Ruth, but I was not going to lean on my understanding. I would leave everything in God’s hands and let Him decide whatever was good for me.

Four weeks later, I realized that Ruth’s mummy seemed to have let me be. She did not call my number again after that first call. So far, I had not come across her or her father during my visits to the house. I was thinking that sooner or later, I would still have to see them.

I was right. That weekend, about eight on Saturday morning, Ruth called my line.

‘Good morning, dear.’

‘Darling Ruth, how’re you this weekend?’

‘I’m fine. Can you be available in our house this Saturday by ten?’

My heart started beating fast. ‘Of course, I can be. Hope no problem?’

‘No. My dad wants to meet with you.’

You can get the full story from: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460

3 Likes

Re: The Love Grotto by Tonyspecial(m): 6:54pm On Oct 06, 2019
Following
Re: The Love Grotto by Zamar: 7:49am On Oct 07, 2019
Thanks for the update.
Re: The Love Grotto by FairCritic(m): 8:29am On Oct 08, 2019
Nice story.
Re: The Love Grotto by Janet96(f): 10:19am On Oct 09, 2019
Nice update
Re: The Love Grotto by PrudySara(f): 2:19pm On Oct 09, 2019
Thanks for the update.
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 8:00am On Oct 12, 2019
Four weeks later, I realized that Ruth’s mummy seemed to have let me be. She did not call my number again after that first call. So far, I had not come across her or her father during my visits to the house. I was thinking that sooner or later, I would still have to see them.

I was right. That weekend, about eight on Saturday morning, Ruth called my line.

‘Good morning, dear.’

‘Darling Ruth, how’re you this weekend?’

‘I’m fine. Can you be available in our house this Saturday by ten?’

My heart started beating fast. ‘Of course, I can be. Hope no problem?’

‘No. my dad wants to meet with you.’

My heart continued to race. ‘Really? I hope it’s for good.’

She could sense my uptightness, so she laughed.

‘You don’t have anything to worry about, dear.’

I nodded. ‘Okay. I’ll be there.’

‘Alright, see you.’

Somehow, I found myself jittery. It was not easy meeting Otunba Ola Daniel, Ruth factor or not.

But then, it was her very factor that made me fidgety. If her factor should be removed from the equation, I had no doubt that I would not be this nervy.

Ruth had said there was nothing to worry about. I wished I could honestly believe that. Although I was wearing casuals, my brand new t-shirt was a product of Tommy Hilfiger while the equally new jeans trousers was made by Versace.

My perfume was modest but distinctive. I took a cab to Ikeja G.R.A. I was ready to meet my future father-in-law.

This time around, I was not taken to the modest lounge en-route Ruth’s bedroom. I was taken directly to the expansive and tastefully furnished sitting-room.

I wouldn’t be surprised if I should learn that the exotic furniture were Italian. It was the biggest sitting and certainly the most luxurious I had ever entered in my life, so far.

There were oil paintings of the man and the entire members of his nuclear family. Ruth looked really beautiful in the portrait. Every other item in the room was exquisite.

Titi soon came back to me. ‘What will you like to take, please?’

Take? ‘No. Nothing for now.’

‘Are you sure?’

Sometimes, Titi was too officious for my liking. How would I not be sure? I nodded. ‘I’m very sure.’

She stared at me briefly and smiled. Did she sense my nervousness? This Titi seemed to know more than a house maid should know.

She sleeked out of the sitting-room. A couple of minutes later, I could hear some approaching footsteps. Otunba Ola Daniel, accompanied by his wife and Ruth entered the large room. I stood up to greet.

‘Good day, sir. Good day, madam,’ I greeted.

‘Ah, good day, young man,’ Otunba said. He extended his hand for a handshake. I took it reverently with a bow.

‘Good day, Frank,’ the woman of the house returned.

I turned to her and gave a short bow. The couple smelt like a real prosperous one. The woman, though on the chubby side, was beautiful. I could see that Ruth took after her.

‘Sit down,’ the man said.

We all took our seats. Ruth sat directly opposite where I sat, but I only looked at her briefly and turned to look elsewhere.

‘So, who are you to Ruth?’ Otunba asked.

I smiled briefly. ‘I happen to be her good friend and lover,’ I answered shortly.

‘Just that?’ he interjected.

You can get the full story:

https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460

3 Likes

Re: The Love Grotto by FairCritic(m): 8:15pm On Oct 12, 2019
Thanks for the update.
Re: The Love Grotto by Janet96(f): 8:19pm On Oct 13, 2019
Nice update
Re: The Love Grotto by Zamar: 5:10pm On Oct 14, 2019
Thanks for the update
Re: The Love Grotto by Tonyspecial(m): 7:59pm On Oct 14, 2019
following
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 2:54pm On Oct 16, 2019
FairCritic:
Thanks for the update.

Janet96:
Nice update

Tonyspecial:
following

quote author=FairCritic post=83082414]Thanks for the update.

[/quote]

Janet96:
Nice update

You are welcome
Re: The Love Grotto by izaray(f): 4:36pm On Oct 16, 2019
Interesting story
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 8:53am On Oct 17, 2019
izaray:
Interesting story

Thank you.
Re: The Love Grotto by Ann2012(f): 9:49am On Oct 17, 2019
Well done OP

This interrogation will get serious soon
Re: The Love Grotto by nastynic(m): 9:30pm On Oct 17, 2019
Shiiit is about to get real

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Love Grotto by Awesome05: 2:02pm On Oct 19, 2019
FrankAkowe:

‘No. my dad wants to meet with you.’

My heart continued to race. ‘Really? I hope it’s for good.’

She could sense my uptightness, so she laughed.

‘You don’t have anything to worry about, dear.’

This time around, I was not taken to the modest lounge en-route Ruth’s bedroom. I was

I smiled briefly. ‘I happen to be her good friend and lover,’ I answered shortly.

You can get the full story:

https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460

Nice story
Re: The Love Grotto by Janet96(f): 7:59am On Oct 22, 2019
Awesome05:

Nice story

Concurred.
Re: The Love Grotto by FrankAkowe: 8:07pm On Oct 22, 2019
I turned to her and gave a short bow. The couple smelt like a real prosperous one. The woman, though on the chubby side, was beautiful. I could see that Ruth took after her.

‘Sit down,’ the man said.

We all took our seats. Ruth sat directly opposite where I sat, but I only looked at her briefly and turned to look elsewhere.

‘That is the first stage. I’m also planning to take her as my lawfully wedded wife.’

He grinned as if he found that amusing. Even the woman, Chief Mrs. Bimbo Daniel smiled.

‘Are you sure about that?’ he asked.

Not too long ago, Titi asked a similar question. Were my words untenable? Or did I look untrustworthy?

Again, I looked at Ruth briefly. She smiled to encourage me.

‘I’m absolutely sure of that,’ I asserted.

He nodded and turned to his daughter. ‘You heard what he said. Does that make any sense, or is it false?’

‘It’s true, dad,’ Ruth replied.

‘True that what?’ her mother asked.

‘It’s true that Frank and I are in love and we want to get married.’

Once again, Otunba nodded. ‘That’s very good. It is on that basis that I sent for you. As my future son-in-law, I think we can start a cordial relationship even now. So, I want to ask you a question. If you get a better job offer, will you take it?’

I chuckled. This man must be funny. Was there any young man that would not accept a better job offer?

‘I’ll indeed accept,’ I answered.

He nodded musingly. ‘How much is your total remuneration right now at the place where you’re working?’

I told him.

‘I see. Look, I’ll offer you a better deal. A much better deal. If you’re in it, come and see me in my office by ten on Monday morning.’

He turned to his daughter. ‘Ruth will give you my address and telephone number.’

He stood up rather abruptly. I later got to know that he was a man of few words. It was the end of my first encounter with him. His wife stood up too. I got the cue and stood up.

‘Ruth will entertain you,’ he said.

‘See you.’

‘Yes, sir. Thank you very much, sir.’

Ruth remained seated while her father and mother left the sitting-room. I must say Otunba was a very impressionable man. I was impressed.

On Monday, I was in my office at Apezlinks to tidy up loose ends. When it was about quarter to nine, I went to Ms. Judith office.
‘I would like to go to the clinic,’ I lied. ‘Since yesterday, I have running stomach. I’ll like to go for treatment.’

‘Oh, God, sorry to hear that,’ she said. ‘Are you going to the staff clinic?’

‘No. There’s another hospital I personally use.’

‘Alright. You can go. If there’s any way you need my help, let me know.’

‘Thank you, ma’am.’

I left the office and took a bike popularly called ‘okada’ to Ikeja Bus Stop. From there, I took a small commercial bus to CMS.

From there, I took another bus to Victoria Island. The office of Otunba Daniel was at Saka Tinubu Street. I got to his secretary office at ten minutes to ten o’clock.

‘Welcome. Please, sit down,’ she said after I had introduced myself. It was all easy since I had an appointment with the CEO.

I waited for more than thirty minutes before I was ushered into his office. I could understand: shortly before I was ushered two men and a woman emerged from the office.

‘Good morning, sir,’ I curtsied.

‘Good morning, Francis. How’re you?’

‘Fine, sir.’

‘Sit down.’

‘Thank you, sir.’ I sat down and looked at him expectantly.

‘I want to take it that your coming means you’ve accepted the job offer.’

‘Yes, sir.’

He nodded. ‘Good. You will have to start from tomorrow. You will be working at Sagamu as Depot Manager of Saturn Oil and Gas there. I know you don’t have this particular experience before, but I trust you will learn on the job. The Assistant Manager who is already on ground will put you through.’

Sagamu? That was in Ogun State, although not far from Ikorodu. I didn’t know I would be going that far. All the same, since the offers were good, I would accept the job.

‘Thank you, sir,’ I replied. ‘I’m very grateful, sir.’

‘It’s okay. You’re welcome. See the secretary to collect your employment letter. She will also give you the address of the depot at Sagamu.’

‘Thanks, sir.’

It was as simple as that. I signed the duplicate of the employment letter, took the original and got a paper that contained not only the Sagamu depot address but also other outlets of Saturn oil.

It was good to be connected to the wealthy, wasn’t it? No test, no interview. Just, come and start work. It was as simple as that!
Just as Otunba had promised, the remuneration almost tripled what I currently earned.

There were also mouth-watering allowances. I was glad to read the details of my work schedule. But I was also to work on Sunday. Phew! To whom much was given, much was expected.

I called Ruth as soon as I stepped out of the secretary’s office.

‘I’m here already. Where’s your office?’

‘Ask for the Accounts Department,’ she said.
Just then, I saw a lady that looked like a cleaner along the corridor.

‘Excuse me, how do I get to the Accounts Department?’

She pointed at a door. I went to the directed door and pushed it open. It was a large office with partitions.

Ruth was already waiting by what looked like the reception section of the office where there were settees.

‘Hello, love,’ she greeted.

‘Hi, darling.’ I gave her a peck.’

‘How did it go?’

‘Very fine.’ I showed her the appointment letter. ‘Many thanks to you and your dad for this.’

‘Thanks be to God.’

‘And to you,’ I insisted.

She scanned through the letter. ‘So, you’re to resume tomorrow.’

‘Yes, at the Sagamu Depot.’

‘I trust you will put in your best, just as you were always hard-working at the advert agency.’

I smiled at her compliments. ‘You can bet that I will put in my best.’

After leaving Ruth and the head office of Saturn Oil, I went back to Apezlinks at Ikeja. As soon as I entered Ms. Aka’s office, she smiled at me.

‘I was about to call you,’ she said.
‘How’re you, now? Have you taken some treatment?’

‘Good morning, madam. I’m here to tell you the truth.’

She looked at me curiously. ‘What’re you talking about?’

I sat on one of the visitors’ seats, but moved closer to her. ‘I’m sorry, ma’am, there was nothing wrong with me. I lied because I had an appointment to keep.’

She looked disappointed. ‘But you could have told me that. What appointment?’

You can get the full story from: https://publish.okadabooks.com/book/about/the_love_grotto/28460

4 Likes

Re: The Love Grotto by skubido(m): 8:37pm On Oct 22, 2019
Thanks for the update
Re: The Love Grotto by Ann2012(f): 8:48pm On Oct 22, 2019
I just hope this whole thing doesn't backfire

Well done OP
Re: The Love Grotto by izaray(f): 11:31am On Oct 23, 2019
Another next level for Francis
Re: The Love Grotto by Tonyspecial(m): 3:00pm On Oct 23, 2019
Nice One
Re: The Love Grotto by PrudySara(f): 3:09pm On Oct 23, 2019
Francis! Francis!! I just hope sand sand will not enter your garri...

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

PEMISIRE: ....a man's destiny / Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him / The Devils Touch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.