Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

.. - Agriculture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / .. (30991 Views)

5,000 Momax3 Seedlings Available For Sell. / Momax3 Moringa Seedlings Now Available. / MORINGA Farming Green Cash ...CONTRACT FARMING (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: .. by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 12, 2019
Re: .. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Oct 12, 2019

2 Likes

Re: .. by cashu41(m): 7:28pm On Oct 12, 2019
Moringa flower aborts during the rainy season. Absence of pollination by insects also encourages it.

1 Like

Re: .. by imhere: 1:23pm On Oct 13, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

The momax roots go very deep and doesn't spread like the local one. I will snap the roots of some I still have in the nursery when I want to transplant them. The roots are tuber like just like cassava tubers. They go much deeper than the loca types here.

If there should be an issue, it should be too much water and not low water as you said.

This variety only needs water every 10 days. The ones at the farm will be updated when I get there. I heard they are flowering now.
Re: .. by imhere: 1:24pm On Oct 13, 2019
Thanks for enlightening me, I will chat with you for some business
Re: .. by KingOpe: 10:08am On Oct 18, 2019
@emmachile, too bad about the flowers being aborted. I guess it's unlikely to fruit before next year then. I dont know anyone that planted around the time you did. We finished transplanting our Moringa last month so would let you know how it goes.
Re: .. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 18, 2019

1 Like

Re: .. by Treepower2000: 2:20am On Oct 19, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

It will definitely fruit because the local ones always fruit twice a year. Currently, i have not seen any Moringa in Lokoja with seed pods. All are with flowers.
Moringa fruits between November to January and second fruiting is around February to March so if you plant by January your first fruiting will start by November.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: .. by Nobody: 2:58am On Oct 19, 2019
Treepower2000:

Moringa fruits between November to January and second fruiting is around February to March so if you plant by January your first fruiting will start by November.
To make good profit from moringa, which is the first product one must run after? Fruits or leaves? And please explain why you choose one over the other.
Re: .. by KingOpe: 5:41am On Oct 19, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

It will definitely fruit because the local ones always fruit twice a year. Currently, i have not seen any Moringa in Lokoja with seed pods. All are with flowers.

That's great then. It will be awesome if it still fruits this year. I am new to Moringa farming so I am still learning all I can. I planted 3 varieties - pkm 1, momax 3 and a local perenial variety from india. (It is considerably large scale and i could not put my eggs in one basket)

I will check up again then. Thanks for the update.
Re: .. by Treepower2000: 5:57pm On Oct 19, 2019
Pistotita:

To make good profit from moringa, which is the first product one must run after? Fruits or leaves? And please explain why you choose one over the other.
Both fruit and leave production are lucrative depending on your preference. Most of us are into pilot phase of the project.
I keep my options open and I can go into seeds, leave and or even using the leaves for animal feed and other products.
Re: .. by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 19, 2019
Treepower2000:

Both fruit and leave production are lucrative depending on your preference. Most of us are into pilot phase of the project.
I keep my options open and I can go into seeds, leave and or even using the leaves for animal feed and other products.

I think a good market research should be made immediately. Let market guide you. I asked because if leaves are more profitable than the fruits, the method of cultivating it will be different. For example no pruning is required if leaves are what I am after , and should be fed more nitrogen.

If its essential oil one is making, one must cultivate it bearing in mind one want the seeds to be very big. Potassium, Ca, Mg are essential.

The kind of flowers abortion I saw in the pictures is equal to a big loss that can make ones enemies celebrate.

2 Likes

Re: .. by SocialJustice: 7:52pm On Oct 19, 2019
Pistotita:

I think a good market research should be made immediately. Let market guide you. I asked because if leaves are more profitable than the fruits, the method of cultivating it will be different. For example no pruning is required if leaves are what I am after , and should be fed more nitrogen.

If its essential oil one is making, one must cultivate it bearing in mind one want the seeds to be very big. Potassium, Ca, Mg are essential.

The kind of flowers abortion I saw in the pictures is equal to a big loss that can make ones enemies celebrate.
Nice, this is what I've been wanting to know from you. How to enhance seed production and get the yields of 8-10 tonnes/4000 litres of oil per hectare twice a year. That's blood money I'm talking right there.
Re: .. by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 19, 2019
SocialJustice:
Nice, this is what I've been wanting to know from you. How to enhance seed production and get the yields of 8-10 tonnes/4000 litres of oil per plant, per hectare twice a year. That's blood money I'm talking right there.

Lol. I have a new friend. Hmmm! She keeps saying moringa and I was always like" why this moringa? Well, I have not yet said seed is the way to go. First, I want to look at the two products. Leaves and Fruits.

So, how did you come about 4,000 liters per plant? This is going to be a miracle to achieve. And even twice a year? Are you serious? I doubt it. Please, check again.

How many plants per hectare?

Is there any website one can know about this Moringa Cultivar?

Well, I know that oil is most likely the most profitable, but I did not want to be too forward. But then, the tea can be really profitable too.

1 Like

Re: .. by SocialJustice: 8:09pm On Oct 19, 2019
Pistotita:

Lol. I have a new friend. Hmmm! She keeps saying moringa and I was always like" why this moringa? Well, I have not yet said seed is the way to go. First, I want to look at the two products. Leaves and Fruits.

So, how did you come about 4,000 liters per plant? This is going to be a miracle to achieve. And even twice a year? Are you serious? I doubt it. Please, check again.

How many plants per hectare?

Is there any website one can know about this Moringa Cultivar?

Well, I know that oil is most likely the most profitable, but I did not want to be too forward. But then, the tea can be really profitable too.
Seed is the way to go. I'm not just stopping at seeds but I want to produce oil. That's where all the money is. Leaf is just there. You could package in capsules and try getting approval to sell in USA and Europe as organic supplement but anything that human beings swallow needs too much approval. Oil on the other hand is gold. I have my plans.

Google momax 3 yields.

1660 plants per hectare.

Just Google momax 3.
Re: .. by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 19, 2019
Re: .. by Nobody: 8:42pm On Oct 19, 2019
SocialJustice:
Seed is the way to go. I'm not just stopping at seeds but I want to produce oil. That's where all the money is. Leaf is just there. You could package in capsules and try getting approval to sell in USA and Europe as organic supplement but anything that human beings swallow needs too much approval. Oil on the other hand is gold. I have my plans.

Google momax 3 yields.

1660 plants per hectare.

Just Google momax 3.

I think you misinterpreted what you read online. This is one area I always cry out to farmers. Get your figures right. Get your business plan right. And get your market research right. It is your guide on the way forward.

From this attached photo, 3292.8kg oil is produced from the sixth year upward.

3292.8 kg
I dont know the density of moringa oil. But we can make a good guess. Lets use canola oil info attached.

0.91g = 1 ml
3292.8kg = 3,617 liters per hectare.

Ok I guess where you are coming from.
1 ha is 3,617 liter which you approximated to 4,000 liters.
But not 1 plant = 4,000 liters

According to my plant population, 1 plant = 2.26 liters in a year. If it fruits twice, it us 1.13 liters per fruiting session during its peak period.

So, that you have 1,808 liters per cycle if it has two cycles per annum.

So, what is the cost of moringa oil?

I am sure longer throat people will be researching now. Excanny here is one for you here. grin A don dash you this. Let us see if broiler can give us this kind of profit in a year.

Anyone with the cost of Moringa oil?

Re: .. by SocialJustice: 9:10pm On Oct 19, 2019
EMMAACHILE:
The leave market is a little saturated worldwide when compared to the oil.

4000 litres per hectare is gotten from 10 tonnes seed harvest. But the extraction method is through solvent extraction which is 40% ratio unlike most other cruder methods used here which is 20-25% efficiency.
You mean coldpress is a crude method? I'll research solvent extraction.
Re: .. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2019
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 11:02pm On Oct 19, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Coldpress is normally around 25% extraction.
With 25% extraction, you mean 2500 litres only will come from 10 tonne crushed seeds? That's low, what happens to the remaining oil in the seed? Can the cake be pressed twice to extract more oil?
Re: .. by Nobody: 1:22am On Oct 20, 2019
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 7:17am On Oct 20, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

I don't know of it can be done twice. The remaining oil is left with the cake and can be sold to livestock farmers.
I read about solvent extraction. It produces low quality oil than cold press. Well, if an hectare is able to produce 20 tonnes annually withUploaded007 4,000 litres. That's not so bad. Even 2000l annually isn't bad.

Is the PKM 2 variety oil yield also lower with cold press? The oil production figure I have is 3000l per hectare.
Re: .. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 20, 2019
SocialJustice:
I read about solvent extraction. It produces low quality oil than cold press. Well, if an hectare is able to produce 20 tonnes annually withUploaded007 4,000 litres. That's not so bad. Even 2000l annually isn't bad.

Is the PKM 2 variety oil yield also lower with cold press? The oil production figure I have is 3000l per hectare.

I wrote a good analysis yesterday but spam bot erased it. Anyway, petroleum chemical is the main material used for solvent extraction.

Cold press is the best as it retains most of its nutrient. There is also expeller pressed with high temperature.
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 10:48pm On Oct 20, 2019
Pistotita:

I wrote a good analysis yesterday but spam bot erased it. Anyway, petroleum chemical is the main material used for solvent extraction.

Cold press is the best as it retains most of its nutrient. There is also expeller pressed with high temperature.

The bot is just hiding posts and banning me any how too. I don't even understand it. Well, when I want to start, I'll be in touch and probably locate you then because I want my farm performing at optimum capacity.
Re: .. by Nobody: 2:58am On Oct 21, 2019
SocialJustice:
The bot is just hiding posts and banning me any how too. I don't even understand it. Well, when I want to start, I'll be in touch and probably locate you then because I want my farm performing at optimum capacity.

Who buys the oil? Have you really conducted a market research? And what is the current price?

Anyway, regardless of how you see it, I know it is not a business for poor farmers. Agricultural lovers in diaspora should consider trees after successfully running a normal farm.

The cost of production must be really known. I just do not have time, I would have really researched it.
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 7:38am On Oct 21, 2019
smiley
Re: .. by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 21, 2019
SocialJustice:
I'll source my buyers and even enter into oil purchase contracts before planting my farm. Farming is just another business for me but I really love the prospects of moringa oil. Poor farmers can engage in it and still make money but not at the level I have in mind. Moringa is an emerging cash crop like rubber and oil palm.

I still think you should get market right first. Who are you entering oil purchase contracts with? Who buy moringa oil in Nigeria? What is it used for? Are there alternatives to moringa oil?

1 Like

Re: .. by SocialJustice: 8:00am On Oct 21, 2019
cheesy cheesy grin
Re: .. by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 21, 2019
SocialJustice:
My focus is cosmetics. I don't intend selling to Nigerian companies unless they meet my purchase terms. Palm olein is the alternative for my target market. Moringa oil is just magic, I don't want to make a long post and it will be wasted by the bot. Please take 10 minutes out and research the market. If I don't find a long term market, I won't even bother starting the farm but that's near impossible.
Could you send the details to my email? I will appreciate it.

Inhope you have read my take on palm olein in my thread for agricultural investors. And Mr. Emma made some good comments the too.

I am not doubting moringa oil. It is classified under essential oil. And there are many. I also have different strategies for it. Well I agree with you that poor farmers cannot do it. But these people can raise money from many things I have written. The capability of a plot of land is just unbelievable in the hand of the right thinking farmer. And above all working with honest people is the key.
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 10:33am On Oct 21, 2019
smiley
Re: .. by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 21, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (23) (Reply)

My Coconut Farm Experience / Top 5 Richest Farmers In The World / Australia Has Too Many Sheep And Farmers Are Giving Them Away For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.