Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

.. - Agriculture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / .. (31137 Views)

5,000 Momax3 Seedlings Available For Sell. / Momax3 Moringa Seedlings Now Available. / MORINGA Farming Green Cash ...CONTRACT FARMING (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: .. by rexosazy: 4:09am On Nov 30, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Should be close to one's village but the western part mostly lease out land I learnt even if you want to farm palm oil trees!
Ok. Thank you. Please could you help me with your contact (phone number)?. Please kindly send it to rexofinance@gmail.com.
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 6:39am On Nov 30, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

It's never fixed. The local moringa seeds hovers around 1000 to 2000 per kg for selling wholesale.

If you are buying, it also depends whether it's for planting or for oil. It's just not fixed.
OK, thanks.

Did the calculation, seed selling is short changing. The final goal for any moringa seed producer should be to sell oil. Adding value to the seed brings in a far larger revenue.

1 Like

Re: .. by Nobody: 11:45am On Nov 30, 2019
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 11:56am On Nov 30, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Yes, you are right. The oil also has a byproduct of moringa cake with more than 60 % cp which is richer than our own local fishmeal.
Can you imagine, I even forgot to add the cake. The cake could easily be made into high quality fishmeal or poultry feed additive, bringing in more money. I'll do proper marketing for my oil after planting. Selling seeds is too much of a loss. Same thing is happening with cocoa, cocoa seeds worth $10 can be turned into cocoa powder and butter worth $50.
Re: .. by Nobody: 12:55pm On Nov 30, 2019
SocialJustice:
Can you imagine, I even forgot to add the cake. The cake could easily be made into high quality fishmeal or poultry feed additive, bringing in more money. I'll do proper marketing for my oil after planting. Selling seeds is too much of a loss. Same thing is happening with cocoa, cocoa seeds worth $10 can be turned into cocoa powder and butter worth $50.

I still prefer you do your pilot. Hmmmm! I do not doubt Emmaachile's ability, but you are seriously counting your chicks before eggs hatch. If I were you, I would look into leaves sales too. Cos this is what this pillot is telling me so far that can is ok. I am still watching. I know the influence of heat, cold, and flood on plants. They affect flowering patterns negatively. Many vegetable seedless varieties which are suppose tl bring out only female flowers which do not need pollination bring out males females due to biotic and abiotics stresses. Murano brings out male flowers as soon as temp climbs above
32C and it is a predominated female cultivar. Flowers drop and abort during extreme cold, heavy rain, and high temperature. It is why I advise you to test it again where you want set up your many ha for it. Use max of 1 acre to at least do a pilot for 2 years.

Have you noticed so many flowers under trees (apple, mango, other fruits, etc) during extreme heat period, or during very cold period. You will even be amazed that forceful wind does not affect them negatively like these conditions. Some thrives in the cold, but they lose the battle during dry season. While other cope with dry season, and are helpless when it is cold.

1 Like

Re: .. by SocialJustice: 2:33pm On Nov 30, 2019
Pistotita:

I still prefer you do your pilot. Hmmmm! I do not doubt Emmaachile's ability, but you are seriously counting your chicks before eggs hatch. If I were you, I would look into leaves sales too. Cos this is what this pillot is telling me so far that can is ok. I am still watching. I know the influence of heat, cold, and flood on plants. They affect flowering patterns negatively. Many vegetable seedless varieties which are suppose tl bring out only female flowers which do not need pollination bring out males females due to biotic and abiotics stresses. Murano brings out male flowers as soon as temp climbs above
32C and it is a predominated female cultivar. Flowers drop and abort during extreme cold, heavy rain, and high temperature. It is why I advise you to test it again where you want set up your many ha for it. Use max of 1 acre to at least do a pilot for 2 years.
Lol, don't have that patience, farming 20 hectares is virtually nothing for me. I'm planting momax3, so I can't use it for leaf production unless I choose to plant leaf production variety. The farm's performance won't affect my revenue. It is one of those things I just want to do and experiment with. If I was good with rearing livestock or wanting to give my time fully to farming, I won't be planting moringa. I'll rather farm poultry for meat production to supply my cold stores but I don't love agriculture that much. You can see the frequency with which Emmaachile visits his farm. No stress.
Re: .. by Nobody: 3:19pm On Nov 30, 2019
SocialJustice:
Lol, don't have that patience, farming 20 hectares is virtually nothing for me. I'm planting momax3, so I can't use it for leaf production unless I choose to plant leaf production variety. The farm's performance won't affect my revenue. It is one of those things I just want to do and experiment with. If I was good with rearing livestock or wanting to give my time fully to farming, I won't be planting moringa. I'll rather farm poultry for meat production to supply my cold stores but I don't love agriculture that much. You can see the frequency with which Emmaachile visits his farm. No stress.

Oh! In fact, my immediate last post was about pilots and how to measure their scope (how big or how small). Lol. Ok. I like you because you confirmed my instinct about the kind of person you are. I saw it that you do not like Agric. Lol. It is the momax3 money you like. grin I love it too, but I added patience to mine. Hehehe.

Who enjoys working in hot condition? Lol. One of my friends came to Naija and experienced the terrible heat in March/April and that fellow confessed that Jesus is Lord. Lol. Very light colored person said the skin got tanned sharply. Lol. I used to pant into those days because it was in February at the peak of winter I used to have time to move around. From -25C (-13F) to 36C (96.8F) in less than 12 hours. Would carry about 1 liter Eva bottled water (about 13 bottles daily). Oga, till date, I don't enjoy working on farms. But I am a determined individual, and this is my drive.

Let me give you a suggestion, check on Mr Emmachile and see if you can ride on his experience. But bros....drop something which worths it. I hope you aren't stingy. Lol. Encourage your guy. He may not be money motivated like me; therefore, use wisdom. I pray it works well for you.

Just imagine how Emmaachile did not solicit for finance, and people are already getting set to ride on his wagon. This is the power of education. Teach your readers something meaningful, and see how they buy into your ideas instead of spamming around the whole forum with purchasing of useless ebooks and soliciting for funds.

By the way, what is your budget for this 20 ha pilot farm?

1 Like

Re: .. by SocialJustice: 3:46pm On Nov 30, 2019
Pistotita:

By the way, what is your budget for this 20 ha pilot farm?
Lol, we're still just at the talking stage. Nothing concrete yet but I'll definitely show appreciation at the right time, that's not an issue and I'm willing to pay for r service when I'm ready especially with fertiliser formulation. I don't like charging for information though because when you do that, the person paying now has a sense of ownership over you. They want you to even do more than they are paying for. They want you to answer them at odd hours. Should anything go wrong, they insult, blackmail and say all sorts of rubbish. I don't expose myself to such rubbish. I'm budgeting N5-10m for the 20ha, that amount includes land rent, preparation, machinery purchase and oil extractor.
Re: .. by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 30, 2019
SocialJustice:
Lol, we're still just at the talking stage. Nothing concrete yet but I'll definitely show appreciation at the right time, that's not an issue and I'm willing to pay for r service when I'm ready especially with fertiliser formulation. I don't like charging for information though because when you do that, the person paying now has a sense of ownership over you. They want you to even do more than they are paying for. They want you to answer them at odd hours. Should anything go wrong, they insult, blackmail and say all sorts of rubbish. I don't expose myself to such rubbish. I'm budgeting N5-10m for the 20ha, that amount includes land rent, preparation, machinery purchase and oil extractor.

My heart beat extremely fast with your choices. I cannot feel you. You want to rent 20 ha for trees? Something that will start producing at optimum in the 6th year. Are you sure? What if the owner asks you to leave when your trees are 3 years? Lol. And I smile at your 10 million naira budget oooo. Why would you want to use bulldozer to clear a rented land when the cost of clearing is even more than the cost of buying? I do not get you bro. I can't feel your "paparazi" at all.

Are you sure you understand business planning? You should consult someone who knows about it. I do not want to talk about this, but I have my reasons of pointing your attention to it.

Nutrient formulation is your least challenge. Oh! Younare the one of the guys who asked me. Hmmmm! I cannot even remember my response. But i need to read the whole of this thread to get info about the pergormance of this cultivar so I can know what to use at different stages of its life cycle. Really, i can give you this free of charge, but its a lot of work to read the whole thread. But Emmachile can be of help.

Let me put it to you straight again. How sure are you that momax3 will definitely come out beautiful with many fruits in your city? And what is the estimated seeds you are getting based on your climatic condition, not based on internet figures. Are you planning to have yours in Kogi too?

One last question. This 10 million you want to spend, can you just hissed and say "life goes on" if things fall apart and you lose it? Or will there be a light or serious trouble if you lose this money? Just be honest with yourself here. Is everything from your wallet?
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 5:16pm On Nov 30, 2019
Pistotita:

My heart beat extremely fast with your choices. I cannot feel you. You want to rent 20 ha for trees? Something that will start producing at optimum in the 6th year. Are you sure? What if the owner asks you to leave when your trees are 3 years? Lol. And I smile at your 10 million naira budget oooo. Why would you want to use bulldozer to clear a rented land when the cost of clearing is even more than the cost of buying? I do not get you bro. I can't feel your "paparazi" at all.

Are you sure you understand business planning? You should consult someone who knows about it. I do not want to talk about this, but I have my reasons of pointing your attention to it.

Nutrient formulation is your least challenge. Oh! Younare the one of the guys who asked me. Hmmmm! I cannot even remember my response. But i need to read the whole of this thread to get info about the pergormance of this cultivar so I can know what to use at different stages of its life cycle. Really, i can give you this free of charge, but its a lot of work to read the whole thread. But Emmachile can be of help.

Let me put it to you straight again. How sure are you that momax3 will definitely come out beautiful with many fruits in your city? And what is the estimated seeds you are getting based on your climatic condition, not based on internet figures. Are you planning to have yours in Kogi too?

One last question. This 10 million you want to spend, can you just hissed and say "life goes on" if things fall apart and you lose it? Or will there be a light or serious trouble if you lose this money? Just be honest with yourself here. Is everything from your wallet?
Landlord doesn't wake up and terminates lease agreement, I'm setting up in the south in land that farmers have been renting without issues before I was born, some even have as much as 10, 000 hectares under lease for palm plantation. The cost of bulldozer can exceed lease as it is quite cheap. I'm working with conservative internet figures and moringa is a tough drought and resistant plant unlike vegetables. Like I said earlier, money invested in this farm will not disrupt my life neither do I intend to lose it. A medium cold oil press isn't so expensive and I can get it very cheap if I fabricate here, the building that will house it won't cost N1m. The grey areas now are cost of farm input and labour which I won't factor in until I'm about starting. If there's need for me to increase my budget due to contingency, I can surely do that.

Remember even though I'm running 20ha, it is still just a pilot scheme.

There's no venture without risk.
Re: .. by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 30, 2019
SocialJustice:
Landlord doesn't wake up and terminates lease agreement, I'm setting up in the south in land that farmers have been renting without issues before I was born, some even have as much as 10, 000 hectares under lease for palm plantation. The cost of bulldozer can exceed lease as it is quite cheap. I'm working with conservative internet figures and moringa is a tough drought and resistant plant unlike vegetables. Like I said earlier, money invested in this farm will not disrupt my life neither do I intend to lose it. A medium cold oil press isn't so expensive and I can get it very cheap if I fabricate here, the building that will house it won't cost N1m. The grey areas now are cost of farm input and labour which I won't factor in until I'm about starting. If there's need for me to increase my budget due to contingency, I can surely do that.

Remember even though I'm running 20ha, it is still just a pilot scheme.

There's no venture without risk.

Nigeria is a funny place. Just imagine the pattern of land acquisition or allocation for farming. Are you in Akwa Ibom? Cos that is the place i know farmers go on long land lease with rest of mind because no one is interested in farming there, and development is a forgotten issue. They dó not even ever think anything can happen in those areas, so when they get someone who wants to lease the land, they just release it willingly. Lol. I heard it too that many oil palm plantations are rotten without anyone to work on them. And anyone who can do the job simply leases the trees too. Lol. Ha! The north will rule Nigeria for a long time. Lol.

Ok. I think you have made up your mind on what to do and how to do it.

But why don't you wait till March 2020 least before concluding that Moringa can survive drought and its flowering pattern will not be disturbed. Like I told you oga Emmaachile is irrigating his trees, but it is obvious you do not have plan to irrigate your during dry season. And you are already using internet figures which I am sure is based on the optimum weather condition for this cultivar. Hmmmmm! Perhaps you can ask Emmaachile to nkt irrigate a tree among his trees all through this dry season and compare the result with the ones thst are irrugated. Then, gou can make a proper decision.

Again, I will advise you to take it easy. I am happy that you are willing to let go off N10million if it does not work out. This is the only reason I can say that you are free to go on and do what you like. Many times, people know what they want to do, and it is not worth it trying to go over their plans with them. All I can do is to pray for you. May God crown your effort. I pray that you sre successful with your new venture. Amen!
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 6:27pm On Nov 30, 2019
Pistotita:

Nigeria is a funny place. Just imagine the pattern of land acquisition or allocation for farming. Are you in Akwa Ibom? Cos that is the place i know farmers go on long land lease with rest of mind because no one is interested in farming there, and development is a forgotten issue. They dó not even ever think anything can happen in those areas, so when they get someone who wants to lease the land, they just release it willingly. Lol. I heard it too that many oil palm plantations are rotten without anyone to work on them. And anyone who can do the job simply leases the trees too. Lol. Ha! The north will rule Nigeria for a long time. Lol.

Ok. I think you have made up your mind on what to do and how to do it.

But why don't you wait till March 2020 least before concluding that Moringa can survive drought and its flowering pattern will not be disturbed. Like I told you oga Emmaachile is irrigating his trees, but it is obvious you do not have plan to irrigate your during dry season. And you are already using internet figures which I am sure is based on the optimum weather condition for this cultivar. Hmmmmm! Perhaps you can ask Emmaachile to nkt irrigate a tree among his trees all through this dry season and compare the result with the ones thst are irrugated. Then, gou can make a proper decision.

Again, I will advise you to take it easy. I am happy that you are willing to let go off N10million if it does not work out. This is the only reason I can say that you are free to go on and do what you like. Many times, people know what they want to do, and it is not worth it trying to go over their plans with them. All I can do is to pray for you. May God crown your effort. I pray that you sre successful with your new venture. Amen!
I'm using Edo state.

I'm in no hurry to plant, I plan to irrigate and use fertiliser. I was just saying moringa does not need water like most other plants.

Amen, God will surely bless my effort.
Re: .. by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 30, 2019
SocialJustice:
I'm using Edo state.

I'm in no hurry to plant, I plan to irrigate and use fertiliser. I was just saying moringa does not need water like most other plants.

Amen, God will surely bless my effort.

I wanted to stop....but with this new info .....hmmmm. Hmmmm! 20 ha with irrigation? ...hmmmm! And just N10m....then you want to pay workers....weed the farm several times, spray the farm sparingly.... .hmmmmm....buy equipment, and also buy cold press extractor.....hmmmm....with just $27,000 .....hmmm! On 20 ha farmland? ....hmmm.

But wait! You even mentioned 200 ha initially. shocked shocked shocked Have you really seen any big farm that irrigation is set on? And you still want to go on lease even it is for 1,000 years lease without any problem? Oga, think it through again. Your budget is seriously low. Just focus on 1 ha at the start...and it will be well with you. This is my candid advice.

I can only take such risk if the whole 20 ha is sorrounded with water. And i still need to know the areas flood covers during rainy season so as to avoid such places.

While doing this, you may consider other trees that you can have on 1 acre or less, and can make you fortune. Grapes, apples, and avocado. These ones are already tested in few places.

I am not trying to change your mind...but diversification is one of the best tools successful business men use. I love this moringa. There seems to be future in it with what I have read so far, but I have not researched it myself.

Many people I have discussed with these days always think they can be absentee farmers with trees. And I just laugh. This is the new line of thought of many newbies. And I always ask them if they have seen trees and plantations where the owners left them unattended to at the initial stage? Or have they even seen any successful orchad without almost 100% monitoring at the very initial stage that they can point to? It is all "dem say". When you go deep, successful orchads were successful because the owners dedicated time to monitor activities on the farm at the initial stage. It is a must. The owner must stabilize the farm first.

I will tell you what I always tell these fruit lovers. You beter leave out the notion of not going to farm in the first 3 to 5 years. And establish either poultry or vegetable there to cover the running cost for your farm during the waiting period of your trees. You better dedicate these 3 years into stabilizing a business that you expect it will last for over 20 years. What is 3 years out of 20 years. Even cocoa can go for 40 years. Same with oil palm. So, what stops you from dedicating the first 3 years to stabilize the farm. Go and ask dollar, pounds sterling, and euros boys who have tried establishing oil palm, cocoa, cashew, etc plantations what is called "dashed" hopes. They felt they could live in their bases and set up trees because they dont need monitoring. Lol. Hmmmm! To be pre-warned is to be pre-armed.

Ok. I need to let this thread move forward.

1 Like

Re: .. by SocialJustice: 7:47pm On Nov 30, 2019
Pistotita:

I wanted to stop....but with this new info .....hmmmm. Hmmmm! 20 ha with irrigation? ...hmmmm! And just N10m....then you want to pay workers....
I still think you're looking at this tree like other trees. Well, I have Emmaachile to consult with and I'll stick to the 20ha, anything less isn't worth the effort. The N10m isn't fixed but I'm sure it will go a very long way. The moringa will start paying from the 10th month latest, not optimally but its enough until the 3 years. I don't have time to start learning other plants or bringing in managers-that's where disaster starts.

Also is drip irrigation really that expensive? Edo has water and good soil. Irrigation won't be a problem and I don't think I need to install hose permanently as if I'm growing cucumber.
Re: .. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 30, 2019
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 9:20pm On Nov 30, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

But for the south south, if you plant around April, you may need irrigation.
Isn't April beginning of rainy season, why do I have to irrigate?
Re: .. by Nobody: 9:44pm On Nov 30, 2019
SocialJustice:
I still think you're looking at this tree like other trees. Well, I have Emmaachile to consult with and I'll stick to the 20ha, anything less isn't worth the effort. The N10m isn't fixed but I'm sure it will go a very long way. The moringa will start paying from the 10th month latest, not optimally but its enough until the 3 years. I don't have time to start learning other plants or bringing in managers-that's where disaster starts.

Also is drip irrigation really that expensive? Edo has water and good soil. Irrigation won't be a problem and I don't think I need to install hose permanently as if I'm growing cucumber.

The kind of rain residents of Calabar, Edo, and other SS cities told me they had this year was too much. Hmmm! But SW has been really without rain..... hmmmm

I almost set up an orchard in Ogun myself, but after I put together the cost of irrigation, I let off the idea.

Please, if I want to purchase land in Edo, is it very easy? And like how much should one budget for 1 acre or 1 ha in an area that is not too far inside bushes?
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 9:47pm On Nov 30, 2019
Pistotita:

The kind of rain residents of Calabar, Edo, and other SS cities told me they had this year was too much. Hmmm! But SW has been really without rain..... hmmmm

I almost set up an orchard in Ogun myself, but after I put together the cost of irrigation, I let off the idea.

Please, if I want to purchase land in Edo, is it very easy? And like how much should one budget for 1 acre or 1 ha in an area that is not too far inside bushes?
I don't know about land in town. The land I have in mind is deep inside Bush where aboki or anyone for that matter can't access it.
Re: .. by TTGIL: 10:35pm On Nov 30, 2019
Moringa, a healing plant, is also referred to as the "Tree of Life". It is a super hardy, resilient tree that is mostly grown in the tropics of Asia and Africa. Its seeds are large and circular-shaped, and grow inside the lengthy pods of the Moringa oleifera tree.

Moringa trees give off incredible volume of seed pods during their reproduction months. An average-sized tree of fifteen to twenty feet in height can produce hundreds or even thousands of seed pods, yielding countless seeds each and every year.

Unlike the leaves of the Moringa oleifera tree that grow fast, the seed pods do not grow back every few months. Moringa trees produce seed pods on an annual basis like other similar species. And as is the case with other healing plants, it is always worth the wait for the trees to produce their seed pods.

Moringa seeds are popular in many countries around the world. The seeds can be steamed or boiled, either in the pod or shelled, much like peas or green beans. They can also be seasoned and roasted as a snack food. They are packed with nutrients, making them as popular as Moringa leaves in many household meals and recipes. Moringa seed is widely known to be very medicinal and researches have shown that it prevents and cure many diseases.

Read more: http://exportfromnigeria.info/thread/2509/moringa-export-uses#ixzz66nV77NH0
Re: .. by Nobody: 12:44am On Dec 01, 2019
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 6:50am On Dec 01, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

You may not irrigate I mean
Ok, thanks.
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 9:55am On Dec 07, 2019
Good morning Emmaachile. Any new pictures, what's the state of progress?
Re: .. by Nobody: 12:53am On Dec 09, 2019

1 Like

Re: .. by SocialJustice: 6:03am On Dec 09, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

Yes. I will post later.
Ok.
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 3:05pm On Dec 12, 2019
According to Business Insider, the global market for anti aging products is worth $213bn. Some major anti aging cosmetic companies, sell 100ml of their products for over $500.

The secret to success is marketing and sales.
Re: .. by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 13, 2019

1 Like

Re: .. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 21, 2019
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 6:08pm On Dec 21, 2019
EMMAACHILE:
Momax3 fruiting. I wanted to video but its wasnt clear. You may have to zoom in to see the pictures.
Finally, the trees look tall though. I thought they were short trees.
Re: .. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 21, 2019
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 6:21pm On Dec 21, 2019
EMMAACHILE:

It's likely due to the age. It's about 9 months without a harvest. Moringa is normally trimmed after every harvest.
When are you harvesting?
Re: .. by es144000: 7:19pm On Dec 21, 2019
EMMAACHILE:
Momax3 fruiting. I wanted to video but its wasnt clear. You may have to zoom in to see the pictures.
how many pods?
Re: .. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 21, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (23) (Reply)

Australia Has Too Many Sheep And Farmers Are Giving Them Away For Free / Parrot Destroys Man's Maize Farm (Photos) / Thunder Kills 23 Cows In Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.