Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

.. - Agriculture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / .. (31132 Views)

5,000 Momax3 Seedlings Available For Sell. / Momax3 Moringa Seedlings Now Available. / MORINGA Farming Green Cash ...CONTRACT FARMING (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: .. by SocialJustice: 12:02pm On Jan 07, 2020
Treepower2000:

I planted my first set of mornings trees in November 2011 in Port Harcourt and Rivers north.
The main fruiting season is between November and February which is not affected by rain and humidity, the minor fruiting season is March to August and the yield is scanty. The pods harvested immediately dried on the tree store longer in comparison to pods left long on the tree. Even during dry season the pods still absorb moisture from the air and this affect the quality of the seeds.
The safe interval of harvest for commercial moringa seed should not exceed two weeks as the oil content of the seed decrease as they are left under the elements.
Do you produce oil or sell seeds?
Re: .. by Treepower2000: 12:16pm On Jan 07, 2020
SocialJustice:
Do you produce oil or sell seeds?
I use my seeds and give to friends and family. It alleviates HBP and High blood sugar. I also use it for water purification.
Re: .. by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jan 07, 2020
Treepower2000:

There is no difference between a mormax and ordinary moringa. The difference is only in the length of the pod hence the number and quantity of seed produced per tree and the oil content of the seeds just like tenera and the ordinary oil palm tree.

Hmmmm! I assume you did not cultivate momax3 with your reply. Might be high yield is the reason most people are following this thread. Ok...may be. But you mentioned that rainfall and humidity did not affect yours, while Emmachile seemed to have a serious challenge during rainy season. I cannot conclude it is due to rain (that is even his first blossom, so might be another reason). Might be yours tolerate humidity and flood more. These things happen.

And from my investigation, optimum production is after 6 years, and declines later. Meaning the trees are fully matured and can withstand climatic changes properly after 6 years. Ok. So, i am still telling everyone who wants to do this to really exercise patience. And it might be disastrous to use another person's trial to make decision. Well, if you guys had recorded temp, humidity, rainfall pattern, fertilization application rate, etc, then, it would be very easy to make conclusion. Anyway, i think this thread is still wonderful, and it is a good guide.

I just want every reader here to ask himself or herself this question: Why is there decline in production of moringa despite the "moringa cultivation rush" some years back? These questions must be answered before one goes fully into it. But I assure anyone who gets it right of an excellent reward. Such farmer will be rich.

1 Like

Re: .. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jan 07, 2020

1 Like

Re: .. by Treepower2000: 12:45pm On Jan 07, 2020
Pistotita:

Hmmmm! I assume you did not cultivate momax3 with your reply. Might be high yield is the reason most people are following this thread. Ok...may be. But you mentioned that rainfall and humidity did not affect yours, while Emmachile seemed to have a serious challenge during rainy season. I cannot conclude it is due to rain (that is even his first blossom, so might be another reason). Might be yours tolerate humidity and flood more. These things happen.

And from my investigation, optimum production is after 6 years, and declines later. Meaning the trees are fully matured and can withstand climatic changes properly after 6 years. Ok. So, i am still telling everyone who wants to do this to really exercise patience. And it might be disastrous to use another person's trial to make decision. Well, if you guys had recorded temp, humidity, rainfall pattern, fertilization application rate, etc, then, it would be very easy to make conclusion. Anyway, i think this thread is still wonderful, and it is a good guide.

I just want every reader here to ask himself or herself this question: Why is there decline in production of moringa despite the "moringa cultivation rush" some years back? These questions must be answered before one goes fully into it. But I assure anyone who gets it right of an excellent reward. Such farmer will be rich.
I did not say that mine are not affected by humidity. What I really mean is that the fruit bearing period is out side the peak rainy season. No matter the month you plant your moringa the main fruiting season starts from November and is fixed every year. There may be minor pods in other periods but little or none during peak raining season.
Emma's projected fruiting period fell into the rainy season hence outside the bearing season the plant is taking the next season being the last November but because the rains were extended this season the bearing season have shifted and we have to see what the effect will be.
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 12:56pm On Jan 07, 2020
Treepower2000:

I use my seeds and give to friends and family. It alleviates HBP and High blood sugar. I also use it for water purification.
Cool.
Re: .. by Treepower2000: 12:57pm On Jan 07, 2020
EMMAACHILE:

As Pistotita said above, it seems you have not seen the momax3 seed. its never the same. Its heavier, contains more oil (40% vs 25% local) and the number of pods is not contest.
One of my trees seem to get more than even 200 pods currently. The tree is still not done yet with more flowers shooting everywhere.

The current momax3 at 2.5 years is clocking 5kg harvest per tree as compared to the local production of about 1kg per tree. Its a game of no contest. Someone came to my house yesterday to see the tree and was wowed. This is still the first harvest.

As for the market, there are a lot of companies looking for moringa but the only con is that they will only take you serious if you have a very large harvest of say 100 tonnes above. Some of us may not even sell the seeds but convert to pure sealed moringa oil. My sister just bought an industrial machine capable of processing the seeds to oil though currently using it for her groundnut oil business.

Another thing, i found out is that the leaves are more potent than the local ones in stopping Malaria/Typhoid.

My next sojourn maybe buying the MÓLE moringa seeds for leaf production but i only need very few seeds.
Emma, I had the seeds from you and physically they are the same from the seeds harvested from my own trees but like I said in my post the mormax3 pods are bigger and longer thereby contain more seeds and also have higher oil content but the tree behaves like other moringa trees.
What we are waiting to verify from your trees is the volume of the secondary fruiting yield.
All the moringa varieties have their pros and cons and the rev about the mormax3 is the improved characteristics and that's what we are following on this thread.
Re: .. by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 07, 2020
Re: .. by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jan 07, 2020
Treepower2000:

I did not say that mine are not affected by humidity. What I really mean is that the fruit bearing period is out side the peak rainy season. No matter the month you plant your moringa the main fruiting season starts from November and is fixed every year. There may be minor pods in other periods but little or none during peak raining season.
Emma's projected fruiting period fell into the rainy season hence outside the bearing season the plant is taking the next season being the last November but because the rains were extended this season the bearing season have shifted and we have to see what the effect will be.

Sir, do not get me wrong. I did not write that you faced humidity challenge. It was Emma who faced it, and he was clear about it. But after a deep thought, you might be facing humidity and cold challenges unknowingly. Why would moringa fruits only from Nov (beginning of rainy dry season) and then stops during rainy season. Check the bolded part. Two sentences there. Number 1: No matter what happens, it will fruit in November. Hmmmm. Number 2: It actually stops fruiting at the peak of rainy season according to you. Why? These are questions you need to ask yourself.

Let me be honest with you, moringa is a tree which should fruit continuously. Like...it fruits...rests...and starts fruiting again....except something is disturbing it. Try to check again. Rain and humidity may be affecting you too. It may inhibit flowers from coming out, and you are unaware of that thinking it was not suppose to flower at the time. But Emma was lucky to see it flowering. And bammmm....every damn thing aborted. Or maybe his trees are not strong enough since it was the first flowering. Let us watch what happens in July to October 2020.

And i want to ask you....do you irrigate your trees? If not, I am sure you will harvest more this dry season if you do. This is the reason I think installing irrigation is still the better option no matter where one cultivates it. With what I have read so far, I think it is not a bad decision to have it in the North, Lagos and Ogun where rain is low. But I have go check the cost of irrigation vs sales. With what I am reading, hmmmmmm! Ideas are just flowing.
Re: .. by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 07, 2020
EMMAACHILE:

As Pistotita said above, it seems you have not seen the momax3 seed. its never the same. Its heavier, contains more oil (40% vs 25% local) and the number of pods is no contest.
One of my trees seem to get more than even 200 pods currently. The tree is still not done yet with more flowers shooting everywhere.

The current momax3 at 2.5 years is clocking 5kg harvest per tree as compared to the local production of about 1kg per tree. Its a game of no contest. Someone came to my house yesterday to see the tree and was wowed. This is still the first harvest.

As for the market, there are a lot of companies looking for moringa but the only con is that they will only take you serious if you have a very large harvest of say 100 tonnes above. Some of us may not even sell the seeds but convert to pure sealed moringa oil. My sister just bought an industrial machine capable of processing the seeds to oil though currently using it for her groundnut oil business.

Another thing, i found out is that the leaves are more potent than the local ones in stopping Malaria/Typhoid.

My next sojourn maybe buying the MÓLE moringa seeds for leaf production but i only need very few seeds.

It might mean when it is fully matured in 6 years, hmmmm....harvests will be "double double blessings". Lol.
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 2:57pm On Jan 07, 2020
Pistotita:

It might mean when it is fully matured in 6 years, hmmmm....harvests will be "double double blessings". Lol.
Isn't it possible it matures in 3 years?

Emmaachile did you use fertiliser and can I see your tree now with pods?
Re: .. by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 07, 2020

1 Like

Re: .. by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 07, 2020
EMMAACHILE:

It's mature under a year. Maturity I think he is saying is peak production. 1000 pods is currently achieved at 5th harvest (2.5 years) and should be more at the 8th to 10th harvest.

I am currently out of Lokoja but will be back before weekend.

Hmmm! I should have used peak production. Thank you for pointing it out. But after checking again, you may not be far from the truth. Actually, I posted it before (1st to 10th year production). Here is the link of my post:
https://www.nairaland.com/5119821/moringa-farming-business-momax3/12#83287474.

But the real peak is from the 6th year from the table. I guess that is the reason i keep using it. Even from the 2nd year, it is not that bad. Anyway, it depends on the climate and management.

What i am going to suggest is that you keep proper record of the total kg harvested from every cycle.
Re: .. by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jan 07, 2020

1 Like

Re: .. by Treepower2000: 8:50pm On Jan 07, 2020
Pistotita:

Sir, do not get me wrong. I did not write that you faced humidity challenge. It was Emma who faced it, and he was clear about it. But after a deep thought, you might be facing humidity and cold challenges unknowingly. Why would moringa fruits only from Nov (beginning of rainy dry season) and then stops during rainy season. Check the bolded part. Two sentences there. Number 1: No matter what happens, it will fruit in November. Hmmmm. Number 2: It actually stops fruiting at the peak of rainy season according to you. Why? These are questions you need to ask yourself.

Let me be honest with you, moringa is a tree which should fruit continuously. Like...it fruits...rests...and starts fruiting again....except something is disturbing it. Try to check again. Rain and humidity may be affecting you too. It may inhibit flowers from coming out, and you are unaware of that thinking it was not suppose to flower at the time. But Emma was lucky to see it flowering. And bammmm....every damn thing aborted. Or maybe his trees are not strong enough since it was the first flowering. Let us watch what happens in July to October 2020.

And i want to ask you....do you irrigate your trees? If not, I am sure you will harvest more this dry season if you do. This is the reason I think installing irrigation is still the better option no matter where one cultivates it. With what I have read so far, I think it is not a bad decision to have it in the North, Lagos and Ogun where rain is low. But I have go check the cost of irrigation vs sales. With what I am reading, hmmmmmm! Ideas are just flowing.
It actually performs better with irrigation as confirmed by research.
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 7:16pm On Jan 19, 2020
Updates please emmaachile
Re: .. by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jan 21, 2020
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 6:26pm On Jan 21, 2020
EMMAACHILE:
MAN to establish N9bn Moringa plantation
----------------
Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) on Tuesday said it had concluded plans establish N9 billion moringa oleifera farming plantation in the 774 local government areas of Nigeria.

Read more: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/373726-man-to-establish-n9bn-moringa-plantation.html

Supporting moringa farmers will help everyone. Foreign off takers have come to see it and what one hectare of moringa produces, 50 hectares of rice can’t produce,” the MAN president said.

Is he referring to revenue from 1 hectare and what does he mean by we have the best moringa in the world? Does Nigeria have a moringa variant better than momax3?

1 Like

Re: .. by Nobody: 4:33am On Jan 22, 2020

1 Like

Re: .. by Nobody: 4:36am On Jan 22, 2020
Re: .. by mankettle(m): 5:40am On Jan 22, 2020
We haff hear am before... Same they said for cocoa, oil Palm, stevia etc. Once u enter the crop and wait for the support u will find yourself on a long thing. It's better to do private and sell to offtakers
Re: .. by mankettle(m): 5:41am On Jan 22, 2020
EMMAACHILE:
Serious issues from our pilot scheme with the momax3. But it seems to be more of over production due to not trimming for months.
Two branches carrying more than 60 pods broke off likely due to weight and giant crows always hovering around the place.
Can't wait for your final analysis. Thank youbsir
Re: .. by Sunepar(m): 6:46am On Jan 22, 2020
Farmers are needed urgently in Lagos, around Lagos-Abeokuta expressway
Lands will be allocated.
Salaries and other incentive will be Given on a monthly basis.
Pls call 09035461214
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 9:40am On Jan 22, 2020
EMMAACHILE:
i dont think. You know we like to hype things in this country! We are also the best in everything, haha.
Lol.
Re: .. by SocialJustice: 10:27am On Jan 22, 2020
EMMAACHILE:
Serious issues from our pilot scheme with the momax3. But it seems to be more of over production due to not trimming for months.
Two branches carrying more than 60 pods broke off likely due to weight and giant crows always hovering around the place.
How is the trimming done to make the branches stronger?
Re: .. by kayjay69(m): 8:41pm On Feb 01, 2020
Please I'd like to make your acquaintance, can you follow back
Treepower2000:

Re: .. by kayjay69(m): 8:44pm On Feb 01, 2020
Treepower2000:

There is no difference between a mormax and ordinary moringa. The difference is only in the length of the pod hence the number and quantity of seed produced per tree and the oil content of the seeds just like tenera and the ordinary oil palm tree.
Re: .. by KingOpe: 6:48am On Feb 02, 2020
EMMAACHILE:

Wow. Sorry to hear this. So what frequency do you advise that we trim?

How's the momax doing now?
Re: .. by Nobody: 9:05pm On Feb 02, 2020

1 Like

Re: .. by kayjay69(m): 1:51am On Feb 03, 2020
ANYONE WITH MOMAX F1 SEEDS THAT IS INTERESTED IN SELLING, KINDLY GET ACROSS TO ME.

PLEASE TREAT AS URGENT!!!
Re: .. by LORDTAY(m): 10:40am On Feb 03, 2020
EMMAACHILE:

Fine. Trim as much as possible upto flowering time.
Kindly explain how we can frequently trim our trees especially if there are many till flowering time.Please advise.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Australia Has Too Many Sheep And Farmers Are Giving Them Away For Free / Parrot Destroys Man's Maize Farm (Photos) / Thunder Kills 23 Cows In Ekiti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.