Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,188 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:09 AM

Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me (2968 Views)

Help! I'm Feeling Guilty Of Ruining Someone's Marriage / How Betting Is Ruining Me And My Family Bond. Help!!! / Help! An Unwanted Pregnancy Is Ruining My Life. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by IncognitoJUH: 12:33pm On Apr 09, 2019
Hello dear Nlanders
I am a regular Nlander but decided to create a new account because right now am not proud of how low I have gone financially in less than a year. I am a final year student of a public University in Nigeria, I am the first child of a not so wealthy family but my parents are the best they try their possible best for their children to make sure we get the best they can afford and I appreciate that ALOT. My dad is a little hypertensive and I always try to put a smile on his face and make him proud with my grades.
I have a big problem as I type this and I take full responsibility for my situation, but believe me it all started with a good intention, trying to help lift some financial burden off my parent (or so I thought).
I have been depressed for a long time now and it has affected my performance in school and my social life.
I don't want my parent to know about this because it would really break their heart most especially my dad because he feels all is well with me financially and he is always trying to meet my financial demands when he can.
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by IncognitoJUH: 12:33pm On Apr 09, 2019
It all started early last year when I started gambling big-time, I needed money for somethings in school then but my dad was a little bit handicapped financially then, he only had my school fees to give me, so I took part of the money and invested it into gambling, initially i had some gains then i started loosing, I lost all the money meant for my school fees i, I tried every betting trick out there to regain the money all to no avail, every penny coming into my bank account went straight to my betting accounts and before I know it i was chasing my losses and it was like i could not stop myself from betting with all my money.
My house rent came from home and it went straight to my bet9ja acc and I lost every penny, I am currently in a huge debt in school, currently owing several people.
Now I have a deadline to meet.
I really want to stop gambling but the question that always pulls me back in is "How do I pay up my debts" I am now a shadow of my former self, I can hardly eat, my course mates are all complaining about me because I am not motivated to attend class and do my assignment again (because they know i have not always been like this).
I ty as much as possible when am outside but I am dying slowly inside.
I pray everyday to God for help, but my situation seems to be getting worse.
Sometimes I drink garri for days, I stay hungry for days but I hadly let anybody know, I have few friends because am an introvert so I hadly go out.
I am very depressed now, cos of my financial problems. I have even been sucidal but the thought of how it would affect my parent quickly removed sucide from my mind.
Sometimes I just lock myself in the room and cry for what gambling have turned me into, I never saw myself coming this low, looking shabby, no clothes or gadget because I sold my phone late last year at a ridiculously blow price just to pay off a debt to avoid embarrassment.
Pls I need help, words or money. There are alot to say but I would save that for later.

Pls ignore my typos cos am not typing this from a clear state of mind.
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by tripplephi: 12:37pm On Apr 09, 2019
stay away from the internet for a while and in less than 21 days, you will be cured.
you need to cut off from anyone into betttingggg

IncognitoJUH:
Hello dear Nlanders
I am a regular Nlander but decided to create a new account because right now am not proud of how low I have gone financially in less than a year. I am a final year student of a public University in Nigeria, I am the first child of a not so wealthy family but my parents are the best they try their possible best for their children to make sure we get the best they can afford and I appreciate that ALOT. My dad is a little hypertensive and I always try to put a smile on his face and make him proud with my grades.
I have a big problem as I type this and I take full responsibility for my situation, but believe me it all started with a good intention, trying to help lift some financial burden off my parent (or so I thought).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by chukwuibuipob: 12:56pm On Apr 09, 2019
sad there is NO melicine/babalawo,pastor that can cure u of this.The simple solution is to tell ur eyes/spirit LOOK HERE.Gambling doesn't solve anything.same thing with drinking/ smoking. U'll end up destroy urself(Bitter truth).i'v seen landlord sold their house to stake on gamble.Even if u win 20 milla,the Spirit of GREED won't allow u to enjoy the money.U keep wasting away while the likes of Adebutu of baba ijebu/Alabi of Bet9ja kip smiling/ enjoy peace of mind.Owo Abu l'a fi nse Abu ni alejo(find persin to translate am for u)Wish U well
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by IncognitoJUH: 1:07pm On Apr 09, 2019
tripplephi:
stay away from the internet for a while and in less than 21 days, you will be cured.
you need to cut off from anyone into betttingggg

I just updated the Post, I have tried to stay away but how do I stay away when I have debts to pay with no source of income apart from the little money coming from home
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by IncognitoJUH: 1:09pm On Apr 09, 2019
chukwuibuipob:
sad there is NO melicine/babalawo,pastor that can cure u of this.The simple solution is to tell ur eyes/spirit LOOK HERE.Gambling doesn't solve anything.same thing with drinking/ smoking. U'll end up destroy urself(Bitter truth).i'v seen landlord sold their house to stake on gamble.Even if u win 20 milla,the Spirit of GREED won't allow u to enjoy the money.U keep wasting away while the likes of Adebutu of baba ijebu/Alabi of Bet9ja kip smiling/ enjoy peace of mind.Owo Abu l'a fi nse Abu ni alejo(find persin to translate am for u)Wish U well

Thanks bro I appreciate.
I want to stop but I can't see another way of recovering form my losses cos I am hugely in debt, and I need to pay up as soon as possible but no money
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by IncognitoJUH: 1:11pm On Apr 09, 2019
judasthe4th:
only the rich make money from gambling

Even if I become richer than dangote I would not gamble again, I hate myself for what I have become because of gambling, I just need to pay up my Debts and am done with gambling, wheather profitable or not
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by derbykol(f): 1:37pm On Apr 09, 2019
judasthe4th:
only the rich make money from gambling
How?
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by Uyi168: 1:52pm On Apr 09, 2019
VIRTUAL show me pepper that year sha...
cry
Only few persons actually make it big through betting..
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by SteveOfu: 2:36pm On Apr 09, 2019
Betting on sports is for entertainment and it is not a business opportunity. I know I will lose customers for saying this but I will prefer to say the truth rather than lead someone on.

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way.

Mr A has N1,000 and he goes to watch a movie

Mr B has N1,000 and he goes to have a beer

Mr C has N1,000 and he decides to go to NairaBET. If he wins, its a bonus. If he doesnt, the adventure and maybe the adrenaline is the entertainment that cost him N1,000

At the end of the day, none of the three guys went back home with anything. Don't bet trying to get rich. Chances are that you WILL NOT. A few have struck gold but its all luck. Bet for fun. Play with only what you can afford to "dash" someone. Too much of everything is bad. If you bet with all your salary, its bad. If you drink with all your salary, its bad. If you even buy clothes with all your salary it is financial recklessness and that is bad.

Do everything with caution.

I still bet myself. I have accounts in other bookies and I still bet. When abroad, I chill a lot in Ladbrokes or William Hill. But I keep my bets limited to what I can afford to lose.

Gambling is an addiction to stop gambling ( take spirits and religion out of this ) you need to understand what addiction is, what causes it and how to live with your addictive traits.

Addiction can be a life long battle but it does not have to be, sobriety can be achieved if you accept that you cannot just one aspect of your life. It's a Change of lifestyle as well as mindsets. Therapy would help but I am not sure if this is affordable to you.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by ThothHermes: 5:36pm On Apr 09, 2019
Tell your parents everything you've said here. Promise not to do it again and the need to not disappoint them a second time will keep you from doing it again.

It will be hard but it's the best course of action for you I think.

4 Likes

Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by tabithababy(f): 6:11pm On Apr 09, 2019
IncognitoJUH:

Thanks bro I appreciate.
I want to stop but I can't see another way of recovering form my losses cos I am hugely in debt, and I need to pay up as soon as possible but no money

Na wa

Country hard

Nobody has asked for op's account number shocked

Op , go and explain to your parent

1 Like

Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by IncognitoJUH: 7:51pm On Apr 09, 2019
ThothHermes:
Tell your parents everything you've said here. Promise not to do it again and the need to not disappoint them a second time will keep you from doing it again.

It will be hard but it's the best course of action for you I think.

I feel it's out of my options right now cos i know what it took them to send me the ones I used to gamble, and it would really break their heart cos my dad is strongly against gambling and I have been trying hard to recover my losses without him noticing but I can't hold it in me anymore cos it's killing me knowing I have been so stupid thinking I can make money from gambling but now I know better.
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by hoodboy(m): 10:43pm On Apr 09, 2019
IncognitoJUH:

I feel it's out of my options right now cos i know what it took them to send me the ones I used to gamble, and it would really break their heart cos my dad is strongly against gambling and I have been trying hard to recover my losses without him noticing but I can't hold it in me anymore cos it's killing me knowing I have been so stupid thinking I can make money from gambling but now I know better.

Truth is the first step to redemption, tell the truth and set yourself free. Definitely they'd be disappointed, but you will no longer be a slave to your secret life.
Open up to your folks, God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by tripplephi: 11:15pm On Apr 09, 2019
Lol... did you really ask that question?
ok lets see how unwise your choices have been....

Pls can you calculate all your gambling losses? all the tickets that cut on just ONE LOST GAME? or one OVER1.5 that never entered....

sit down and calculate it... you may have over 10k in losses and 10k can start a sustainable business...
See, it is GREED and LAZINESS that makes people desperate.

With all the free trainings on Nairaland... free webinars on whatsapp... free teaching threads on business... you could have learned them and started something.

10k could have started importation business, search nairaland the threads are still there and still free for everyone who cares to learn....

you could have gone for the free skill acquisition trainings advertised here in Nairaland by different vendors....

SEE, gamblings shuts off the creative centre of the mind.

If you are ready.... start your deep research on NAIRALAND and you will see how much you have missed and what is left that you can recover with.

IncognitoJUH:

I just updated the Post, I have tried to stay away but how do I stay away when I have debts to pay with no source of income apart from the little money coming from home

2 Likes

Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by PSTEMMA1960(m): 11:21pm On Apr 09, 2019
grin betting has been destroying lives since 2 million BC..

Abeg play me 1&7

2up 2down over 2

Select the big odds, oya play them 2 to come..

Abeg play correct score for me today.....

My brother no one can deliver u.....only u can deliver urself...

Just seat down and ask urself 1 question (since I have been playing this betting has it help me in any way, am I losing or gaining)

If u are losing then u don't need anyone to tell u to quit...

Even if u win money from them just give it few hours u still take the money back to play 2odds....
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by fastseo: 11:37pm On Apr 09, 2019
I understand you brother, though my case was different. It was in 2009 ending and 2010 I started forex. A supposed guru collected 10k to teach me after that i gave him 100$ part of money for my school, he lost the 100$ in less than a month.
I opted out to play with my money, funded another 100 $ it grew up and I lost it in some few trades.

What eats my money was not even the 200$, it was the time I use to buy from the Cafey then. In a day I spend between 100 to 300 from Monday to Friday even when thr account was closed.

I found it hard to separate my self from the system with forex trading, I founded few times 5$ and grew it to 250$ then lost everything back..

During this period no phone, not even a touch light phone, no money,no cloth all I think was forex, forex forex.

Then I think and said I will n must stop forex, so gradually I put a stop to cyberCafe then in less than 3 weeks I bought a Nokia touch, then gradually I started buying cloths coz all old cloths has won out.
Then in less than 4 months I got a good Java browsing phone then my life bounced back again.

Even the supposed guru that thought me today he carries wood in timber market, I head he even used his proceed to fund account. Heard he is into big debt, no wife no money, no good house, just poorer. A man going to 40 now.

The following year, Goodluck Jonathan launch a programme known as YouWin and I got to find out from nairaland here then used my Java phone to apply, use it to do most of the writing. Then use computer in business center to arrange them and send...
I was among the lucky winner with millions given then. The programme was very transparent.

Then I swear never to do anything that has to do with online investment, cos I also did HYIP. Which has the model of MMM. MMM did not start today, it was a concept from HYIP where they promise u 30% return in month end.
I did few and lost out.

That lessons made me to stay away from MMM that crippled most of my friends and made them useless. I warned all that I have done something that looks like MMM that it's an old game, even they all have good offer more than MMM, like you can withdraw bonus, daily 1% and reinvest that 1% daily into your capital with them. But after few pay out they all folded up.

That lesson made me to stay out from betting because till today I have never bet in my life.. I don't want to use ear to hear betting. Even through out my school I never bet, I don't even know how to interpret those mark on the paper.

Even if I have money excessively that I don't know what to do with it, I will prefer going to motherless than do betting or anything like that.

I don't want to use my ear to hear online investment programmes or anything and that experience made me to develop a thick skin against such.

. So now my brother plan on how to put a full stop to betting, that is the first step.

Don't commit suicide the mistakes we make today are lesson for bigger mistakes coming that will save your head.

5 Likes

Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by Chubhie: 11:39pm On Apr 09, 2019
Gambling should be for entrainment. More like putting your money where your mouth is. Yours truly played Aguero as anytime scorer in the just ended match. And Aguero had the guts to miss a penalty. The rule is to always play with what you can afford to lose.

For you to truly profit in gambling, you've got to see it as an investment and enter it big. Imagine staking a million naira to win 1.1 million. Do you have the heart and patience? Imagine the risk involved? Is it worth it?Absolutely NO!
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by fastseo: 12:14am On Apr 10, 2019
Chubhie:
Gambling should be for entrainment. More like putting your money where your mouth is. Yours truly played Aguero as anytime scorer in the just ended match. And Aguero had the guts to miss a penalty. The rule is to always play with what you can afford to lose.
For you to truly profit in gambling, you've got to see it as an investment and enter it big. Imagine staking a million naira to win 1.1 million. Do you have the heart and patience? Imagine the risk involved? Is it worth it?Absolutely NO!

The bolded was what forex company known as brokers told us, they put that line in their term n condition. Same with MMM, same with other useless programme and they use that line of defense to defraud you.

Avarage business mind will Always go for more to less as you feel comfortable. No pro business mind will do business with just mere prank.

The bottom line is stay away from it, it has addiction and we human are rational that's the week point betting companies knows about us

1 Like

Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by IncognitoJUH: 3:38am On Apr 10, 2019
tripplephi:
Lol... did you really ask that question?
ok lets see how unwise your choices have been....

Pls can you calculate all your gambling losses? all the tickets that cut on just ONE LOST GAME? or one OVER1.5 that never entered....

sit down and calculate it... you may have over 10k in losses and 10k can start a sustainable business...
See, it is GREED and LAZINESS that makes people desperate.

With all the free trainings on Nairaland... free webinars on whatsapp... free teaching threads on business... you could have learned them and started something.

10k could have started importation business, search nairaland the threads are still there and still free for everyone who cares to learn....

you could have gone for the free skill acquisition trainings advertised here in Nairaland by different vendors....

SEE, gamblings shuts off the creative centre of the mind.

If you are ready.... start your deep research on NAIRALAND and you will see how much you have missed and what is left that you can recover with.

True @bolded because I have always been IT inclined, I love programming big time but since I go into this mess I hardly think about programming, but right now I regret everything I just wish I never started it.
I had been greedy and see where it brought me
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by IncognitoJUH: 3:46am On Apr 10, 2019
fastseo:
I understand you brother, though my case was different. It was in 2009 ending and 2010 I started forex. A supposed guru collected 10k to teach me after that i gave him 100$ part of money for my school, he lost the 100$ in less than a month.
I opted out to play with my money, funded another 100 $ it grew up and I lost it in some few trades.

What eats my money was not even the 200$, it was the time I use to buy from the Cafey then. In a day I spend between 100 to 300 from Monday to Friday even when thr account was closed.

I found it hard to separate my self from the system with forex trading, I founded few times 5$ and grew it to 250$ then lost everything back..

During this period no phone, not even a touch light phone, no money,no cloth all I think was forex, forex forex.

Then I think and said I will n must stop forex, so gradually I put a stop to cyberCafe then in less than 3 weeks I bought a Nokia touch, then gradually I started buying cloths coz all old cloths has won out.
Then in less than 4 months I got a good Java browsing phone then my life bounced back again.

Even the supposed guru that thought me today he carries wood in timber market, I head he even used his proceed to fund account. Heard he is into big debt, no wife no money, no good house, just poorer. A man going to 40 now.

The following year, Goodluck Jonathan launch a programme known as YouWin and I got to find out from nairaland here then used my Java phone to apply, use it to do most of the writing. Then use computer in business center to arrange them and send...
I was among the lucky winner with millions given then. The programme was very transparent.

Then I swear never to do anything that has to do with online investment, cos I also did HYIP. Which has the model of MMM. MMM did not start today, it was a concept from HYIP where they promise u 30% return in month end.
I did few and lost out.

That lessons made me to stay away from MMM that crippled most of my friends and made them useless. I warned all that I have done something that looks like MMM that it's an old game, even they all have good offer more than MMM, like you can withdraw bonus, daily 1% and reinvest that 1% daily into your capital with them. But after few pay out they all folded up.

That lesson made me to stay out from betting because till today I have never bet in my life.. I don't want to use ear to hear betting. Even through out my school I never bet, I don't even know how to interpret those mark on the paper.

Even if I have money excessively that I don't know what to do with it, I will prefer going to motherless than do betting or anything like that.

I don't want to use my ear to hear online investment programmes or anything and that experience made me to develop a thick skin against such.

. So now my brother plan on how to put a full stop to betting, that is the first step.

Don't commit suicide the mistakes we make today are lesson for bigger mistakes coming that will save your head.

Thanks bro, I appreciate your words alot, at least somebody had been where I am now, I feel like it's the end of the world for me because I feel like I have betrayed my parents and my life is currently a mess
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by IncognitoJUH: 3:51am On Apr 10, 2019
Chubhie:

Hmmm, thanks for the words though. @the bolded I know better now, given my experience I would rather give the money out to charity if i have enough than to entertain myself through gambling.
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by Chubhie: 4:54am On Apr 10, 2019
IncognitoJUH:

Hmmm, thanks for the words though. @the bolded I know better now, given my experience I would rather give the money out to charity if i have enough than to entertain myself through gambling.
That's the best thing to do.
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by ifyalways(f): 6:55am On Apr 10, 2019
I hate betting with a passion because i have seen the very many lives it has ruined, all youths.
Most of the scammers that create begging threads online are products of betting.

You all talk about stopping when you have hit rock bottom but the true question is what will you do if you get freebie 10K now? Bet with it again cheesy The desire to make fast money with little or no hardwork aka softwork. Show me any name on forbes list that made their wealth from gambling . . .

If i am your parent i sure will forgive you but im taking you to work sites to sweat out your school fees. Not gonna give you a penny, if it means losing one year in School, so be it.

6 Likes

Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by Dyt(f): 8:52am On Apr 10, 2019
discipline
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by hakeemhakeem(m): 10:28am On Apr 10, 2019
meet those people you are owing talk to them with sober voice and promise them you will pay them.focus on your academics squarely if u can get a minor job do it to raise little funds
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by ThothHermes: 11:19am On Apr 10, 2019
Chubhie:

grin grin grin

You no slap am through your TV!
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by sukerefakere(m): 7:03pm On Apr 10, 2019
He who run na him loose ooo

Plato 1822
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by YOUNGELDER1(m): 3:27am On Apr 11, 2019
tabithababy:

Na wa

Country hard

Nobody has asked for op's account number shocked

Op , go and explain to your parent

What’s stopping you from asking?
Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by Mustiboy(m): 6:47am On Apr 11, 2019
one method I use that always stops me from any form of addiction is to swear that may a particular bad fate befall me if I indulge in it again. I was able to stop masturbation with this method...
now, carry a Bible and swear that you die untimely death if you go into betting again. trust me, the fear of the curse won't let you go back again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help Gambling Addiction!!! It's Ruining Me by crackhaus: 7:25am On Apr 11, 2019
SteveOfu:
Betting on sports is for entertainment and it is not a business opportunity. I know I will lose customers for saying this but I will prefer to say the truth rather than lead someone on.

IT IS NOT A BUSINESS.

See it this way.

Mr A has N1,000 and he goes to watch a movie

Mr B has N1,000 and he goes to have a beer

Mr C has N1,000 and he decides to go to NairaBET. If he wins, its a bonus. If he doesnt, the adventure and maybe the adrenaline is the entertainment that cost him N1,000

At the end of the day, none of the three guys went back home with anything. Don't bet trying to get rich. Chances are that you WILL NOT. A few have struck gold but its all luck. Bet for fun. Play with only what you can afford to "dash" someone. Too much of everything is bad. If you bet with all your salary, its bad. If you drink with all your salary, its bad. If you even buy clothes with all your salary it is financial recklessness and that is bad.

Do everything with caution.

I still bet myself. I have accounts in other bookies and I still bet. When abroad, I chill a lot in Ladbrokes or William Hill. But I keep my bets limited to what I can afford to lose.

Gambling is an addiction to stop gambling ( take spirits and religion out of this ) you need to understand what addiction is, what causes it and how to live with your addictive traits.

Addiction can be a life long battle but it does not have to be, sobriety can be achieved if you accept that you cannot just one aspect of your life. It's a Change of lifestyle as well as mindsets. Therapy would help but I am not sure if this is affordable to you.

Insightful cool

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Good Name Is Better Than Riches....... / She Is 30, He Is 23.they Are Igbos. Can It Work? / Ladies Say Goodbye To Pad And Tampon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.