Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? (1998 Views)

Why Being Black In Brazil Is A Curse (photos) / The Only Pretty Caribbean Girls In My School Are Mixed / This Black American Guy Said Mixed Race Girls Looking Better Looking Than Their (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Apr 14, 2019
So, i have been thinking for a while about mixed-race children between black and whites, do you guys in Nigeria see them as black or mixed? what is your opinion?

for example in the US they are classified as black
in brazil-mulatto
in south africa-coloured
in europe- black

Nb- i am not planning to have one, i love black women and i want my kids to be like me in skin colour
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 6:44pm On Apr 14, 2019
In South Africa, not every biracial person identifies as Coloured. Coloured is a race on its own. They have their own culture, lifestyle & accent. So being biracial doesn't make one Coloured.

With that said, most biracial people I know identify or relate more to their "black side". You see this in how they speak, who they date & the people they choose to hang around with. I believe they see themselves as black, because after all, it is their decision to make & not up to someone else to classify them.

2 Likes

Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Bojack(m): 6:46pm On Apr 14, 2019
DAT PIKIN NA OYINBO
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Apr 14, 2019
XhosaNostra:
In South Africa, not every biracial person identifies as Coloured. Coloured is a race on its own. They have their own culture, lifestyle & accent. So being biracial doesn't make one Coloured.

With that said, most biracial people I know identify or relate more to their "black side". You see this in how they speak, who they date & the people they choose to hang around with. I believe they see themselves as black, because after all, it is their decision to make & not up to someone else to classify them.

ok but i am sure, you know trevor noah, but in one interview i watched he said that during apartheid, he was classified as coloured.

was it that if you were of mixed race during apartheid, you will be considered coloured in relative of the group you come from?
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Apr 14, 2019
Bojack:
DAT PIKIN NA OYINBO

but oyinbo, is that not a term for white people, are mixed race children white

1 Like

Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 14, 2019
thebosstrevor:
So, i have been thinking for a while about mixed-race children between black and whites, do you guys in Nigeria see them as black or mixed? what is your opinion?

for example in the US they are classified as black
in brazil-mulatto
in south africa-coloured
in europe- black

Nb- i am not planning to have one, i love black women and i want my kids to be like me in skin colour
No one asked if you like black women or not lol.

But on a serious note, I think in Nigeria we call them half caste or something.

2 Likes

Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 14, 2019
PrinceCharmings:
half cast undecided

lol..half cast is that not an abuse?
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 7:01pm On Apr 14, 2019
thebosstrevor:

ok but i am sure, you know trevor noah, but in one interview i watched he said that during apartheid, he was classified as coloured.

Yes, he was classified by the system based on how he looks. He didn't choose that identity for himself. He identifies with his Xhosa side (his mother) because that's who raised him. He speaks the language etc.

The 1st two, identify as Xhosa
The 2nd two, identify as Zulu

Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Apr 14, 2019
thebosstrevor:

lol..half cast is that not an abuse?
in Nigeria? no I don't think so undecided
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Apr 14, 2019
XhosaNostra:

Yes, he was classified by the system based on how he looks. He didn't choose that identity for himself. He identifies with his Xhosa side (his mother) because that's who raised him. He speaks the language etc.

The 1st two, identify as Xhosa
The 2nd two, identify as Zulu

interesting... so who are the coloured of SA and what language do they speak, are coloured mixed with afrikaans or with blacks
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Apr 14, 2019
PrinceCharmings:
No one asked if you like black women or not lol.

But on a serious note, I think in Nigeria we call them half cast or something.

lol...just stating what i like before people start thinking otherwise..

ok..half cast..
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 14, 2019
PrinceCharmings:
in Nigeria? no I don't think so undecided

but seriously speaking, it is an offensive term

1 Like

Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 7:25pm On Apr 14, 2019
thebosstrevor:

interesting... so who are the coloured of SA and what language do they speak, are coloured mixed with afrikaans or with blacks

Coloureds, originally are a mix of either European with Xhosa, Khoisan or Malay slaves that were brought here during colonial times. There's even a difference between Coloureds based on how they look eg. There're so-called "Cape Coloureds/Cape Malay Coloureds" & "Coloureds". They all speak Afrikaans & share a similar culture though. Their community is as diverse as we all are.

Here are a few Coloureds. Note that some can be dark with coarse hair etc.

Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 14, 2019
XhosaNostra:

Coloureds, originally are a mix of either European with Xhosa, Khoisan or Malay slaves that were brought here during colonial times. There's even a difference between Coloureds based on how they look eg. There're so-called "Cape Coloureds/Cape Malay Coloureds" & "Coloureds". They all speak Afrikaans & share a similar culture though. Their community is as diverse as we all are.

Here are a few Coloureds. Note that some can be dark with coarse hair etc.

is that not beni MacCarthy? so he is coloured also, lol suprisingg. i am sure, you must have watched the movie "the gods must be crazy" the tribe men in that movie are they considered coloured or black in SA?

but anyway, you guys have a very culturally and racially diverse society..if i may ask, who are the Griqua people, are they also coloured?

i had a classmate in another group when i was in school who was of that dark colour from capetown basically that is what he said,, we never spoke at length except the usually hi,i always considered him black..maybe i was wrong after reading your explanation
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 8:12pm On Apr 14, 2019
thebosstrevor:

is that not beni MacCarthy?

but anyway, you guys have a very culturally and racially diverse society..if i may ask, who are the Griqua people, are they also coloured?

Yes, that's Bennie. He's Coloured.

Griquas are "Khoisan"/Coloured. Most identify as Coloured though because for some reason, some of them dislike anything to do with Khoisan or Black. Some Coloureds see themselves as being superior than Khoisan/Black, so I guess the "Coloured" identity is more exotic or whatever to them.
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Apr 14, 2019
XhosaNostra:

Yes, that's Bennie. He's Coloured.

Griquas are "Khoisan"/Coloured. Most identify as Coloured though because for some reason, some of them dislike anything to do with Khoisan or Black. Some Coloureds see themselves as being superior than Khoisan/Black, so I guess the "Coloured" identity is more exotic or whatever to them.

i am sure, you must have watched the movie "the gods must be crazy" the tribe men in that movie are they considered coloured or black in SA?

now if i understood you well, in SA, mixed raced children specifically from black and white families can be considered black or coloured, depend on what cultures he chooses to associate with? am i right to say that
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Apr 14, 2019
we regard dem as oyibo pepper or halfcaste
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 14, 2019
lefulefu:
we regard dem as oyibo pepper or halfcaste

but is halfcast not offensive?
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Apr 14, 2019
thebosstrevor:

but is halfcast not offensive?
it is not offensive in naija
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Darkseid(m): 8:36pm On Apr 14, 2019
OP, shey Albino na white man
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by XhosaNostra(f): 8:43pm On Apr 14, 2019
thebosstrevor:

i am sure, you must have watched the movie "the gods must be crazy" the tribe men in that movie are they considered coloured or black in SA?

now if i understood you well, in SA, mixed raced children specifically from black and white families can be considered black or coloured, depend on what cultures he chooses to associate with? am i right to say that

I've not watched the movie, but I've seen pictures. The man is Khoisan but he'd fall under Coloured since there're no "pure" Khoisans in South Africa.

Most children born out of black & white parents don't call themselves Coloureds because like I said, Coloured is a race with its own culture etc. They don't really call themselves anything (or don't have an official name), but most of them "act" & speak black. You'd say, they adopt the black side more because majority of them can speak whatever language their black parent speaks, often as a 1st language.
Example, my own mother was a Coloured & my dad a Xhosa, but I see myself as a Xhosa & cannot relate to the Coloured way of life.
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Apr 14, 2019
XhosaNostra:

I've not watched the movie, but I've seen pictures. The man is Khoisan but he'd fall under Coloured since there're no "pure" Khoisans in South Africa.

Most children born out of black & white parents don't call themselves Coloureds because like I said, Coloured is a race with its own culture etc. They don't really call themselves anything (or don't have an official name), but most of them "act" & speak black. You'd say, they adopt the black side more because majority of them can speak whatever language their black parent speaks, often as a 1st language.
Example, my own mother was a Coloured & my dad a Xhosa, but I see myself as a Xhosa & cannot relate to the Coloured way of life.

i see, thanks for your explanation

1 Like

Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 14, 2019
Darkseid:
OP, shey Albino na white man

me no know ooh...hahaha..black people get their own albino, white people also get their own
Re: Hi Guys! Are Mixed Race Children considered Black in Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 14, 2019
thebosstrevor:

but seriously speaking, it is an offensive term
Not in Nigeria undecided

(1) (Reply)

If Your Boyfriend Does These 10 Things, He Truly Loves You / Man Died During Sex Competition In Lagos / Indian Women Pay The Bride Price Not Men..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.