Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,001 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:35 PM

De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player (18676 Views)

Osimhen Scores Twice As Napoli Crush Bayern Munich / Odion Ighalo Scores Twice As Manchester United Defeat Derby County 3 - 0 / Eden Hazard Named Chelsea's Player Of The Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by ogbiwa: 12:37am On Apr 16, 2019
Belgium midfielder Kevin De Bruyne says he only spoke to former manager Jose Mourinho twice during his time at Chelsea.

De Bruyne, now at Manchester City, made only three Premier League appearances in two years at Chelsea, spending a season on loan at Werder Bremen.

He left for Wolfsburg in January 2014 before moving to City in 2015.

"There was so much in the press about my relationship with Jose Mourinho," De Bruyne, 27, told the Players' Tribune.

"But the truth is that I only ever spoke to him twice. The plan was always for me to go on loan for a bit."

De Bruyne scored 10 goals in 33 Bundesliga appearances for Werder Bremen before returning to Stamford Bridge, when the then Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp - now in charge of City's title rivals Liverpool - wanted to sign him.

De Bruyne said: "Mourinho texted me, 'You are staying. I want you to be part of this team'.

"So I thought, OK, great. I'm in his plans."

'I'd rather you sell me' - on leaving Chelsea

De Bruyne started two of the first four league games of the 2013-14 season, but soon fell out of favour with Mourinho and was dropped to the bench.

"Jose called me into his office in December, and it was probably the second big life-changing moment for me. He had some papers in front of him, and he said, 'One assist. Zero goals.
Ten recoveries'," De Bruyne said.

"It took me a minute to understand what he was doing. Then he started reading the stats of the other attacking forwards - Willian, Oscar, Mata, Schürrle. And it's like - five goals, 10 assists, whatever.

"Jose was just kind of waiting for me to say something, and finally I said, 'But… some of these guys have played 15, 20 games. I've only played three. So it's going to be different, no?'

"It was so strange. I was completely honest. I said, 'I feel like the club doesn't really want me here. I want to play football. I'd rather you sell me.'"
The following month, De Bruyne joined Wolfsburg for £18m.

He scored 13 goals in 51 league appearances before becoming City's record signing in 2015 when he agreed a £55m, six-year deal.

'You threw me in the garbage' - on making a point

De Bruyne said his first "life-changing moment" came as a teenager.

As a 14-year-old, he joined Genk's academy, moving away from his family across Belgium.
In his second year at the academy, he lived with a foster family, provided by the club, but after a season they said they did not want him back.

"It's because of who you are," De Bruyne's mother told him. "They said you're too quiet. They can't interact with you. They said you were difficult."

De Bruyne said: "I kicked the ball against the fence for hours, and I remember at some point I actually said out loud, 'Everything is going to be OK. In two months, I'm going to be in the first team. No matter what, I am not coming back home a failure.'"

The following season, he was promoted to Genk's second team, for whom he scored five goals in one half of a game.

"You could see the change in everybody around the club. I earned a spot on the first team within two months," De Bruyne said.

"It's funny to see the change in how people treat you in football when you're doing well."

His foster family turned up at the club saying they wanted him back.

"They had really hurt me. So I said, 'No. You threw me in the garbage. Now I'm doing well and you want me back?'" De Bruyne said.

"In the end, I should have just said 'thank you'. That experience was the fuel for my career. But, unfortunately, that cloud still followed me around for a long time."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47932597

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by okerekeobasi: 10:03am On Apr 16, 2019
ok
Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by Popmaster2019(f): 10:03am On Apr 16, 2019
So is that an achievement?
Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by SouthSouth1914: 10:03am On Apr 16, 2019
It’s crazy KDB is still drooling about his Chelsea adventure!! He should concentrate on being a better player and maintaining his levels of professionalism because anyhow can fall off..

Get over Chelsea and concentrate on yourself.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by davibid: 10:04am On Apr 16, 2019

Something must happen for something else to happen such is life who knows what would have happened if he was still in Chelsea

In all things give thanks

#KINGBID

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 16, 2019
logon599:
Lol. May we never despise the next big thing when they come around us disguised in a rough package. Chelsea had KDB, Salah etc and didn't recognise what they had until it was too late

When you have a blind manager like mourihno what do you expect? A manager that will rather sell Salah and Debruyne and keep players like Ashley young in his team.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 16, 2019
This is football anything can happen. We sold off Sergy Gnarbry for £5m.. Now he's a super star at Bayern. I can bet he's worth not less than £40m.

7 Likes

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by Benblaq(m): 10:05am On Apr 16, 2019
Escape albino

I can feel the pains of Chelsea FC right now.. If only they had kept Salah and Kevin

4 Likes

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by crazyABO(m): 10:05am On Apr 16, 2019
His brain is paining him shocked wetin him win for him time undecided people are so easy at condemning than encouraging angry
Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by kiiingemmy(m): 10:06am On Apr 16, 2019
shocked shocked
Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by seyilabi(m): 10:08am On Apr 16, 2019
A great lesson learnt.

3 Likes

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by Tonymegabush1(m): 10:08am On Apr 16, 2019
Definitely. JM should 4get club football rather start managing national team football wia he can no longer sell players nor buy one, always wanting already made soup instead of arrangement to make his preffered soup.... Odi egwu

8 Likes

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by Frankwillams22: 10:08am On Apr 16, 2019
See below
Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by adetes: 10:09am On Apr 16, 2019
Mourinho sold most of our good players and replace them with an average players, that's beginning of Mourinho downfall

5 Likes

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by Nobody: 10:09am On Apr 16, 2019
Mounrinho is a sadonic sadist and a short sighted man. Glad he has been exposed for the fraud he is

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by anochuko01(m): 10:09am On Apr 16, 2019
Never treat a fellow human like trash no matter how bad they are doing

3 Likes

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by mozel247: 10:10am On Apr 16, 2019
Life will through u everything to pull u down. U just have to strong and wither all
Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by Olukat(m): 10:11am On Apr 16, 2019
I hope they know Jose is not retired from football? shocked shocked shocked
All this unnecessary statements from his former players
Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by milaso: 10:12am On Apr 16, 2019
that one na coach, he like using players anyhow

if u too humble ur self were this man dey he will use as his house boy ad make u look like nothing
Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by shakyum: 10:12am On Apr 16, 2019
I learnt a very big lesson from his story

2 Likes

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by anochuko01(m): 10:13am On Apr 16, 2019
SouthSouth1914:
It’s crazy KDB is still drooling about his Chelsea adventure!! He should concentrate on being a better player and maintaining his levels of professionalism because anyhow can fall off..

if he no fall go drag am naa. bitter victim of "sorry ball" grin

5 Likes

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by Ayobami7(m): 10:14am On Apr 16, 2019
hmmmm
Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by EddyNumerouno(m): 10:14am On Apr 16, 2019
Crap
Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by SouthSouth1914: 10:15am On Apr 16, 2019
anochuko01:

if he no fall go drag am naa. bitter victim of "sorry ball" grin

Stop reasoning with your Asss! KDB is a better player compared to when he was at Chelsea. If you don’t get my message, then you must be in your 17teens. You have a lot to learn in life

2 Likes

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by shamsin6300(m): 10:15am On Apr 16, 2019
I only saw Sarri once as a chelshit ball-ball
Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by kayzat: 10:15am On Apr 16, 2019
R2bees:
This is football anything can happen. We sold off Sergy Gnarbry for £5m.. Now he's a super star at Bayern. I can bet he's worth not less than £40m.

No. He didn't want to stay and he would've walked away as a free agent like Ramsey the following season if arsenal didn't agree to let him at that moment .

His quality was never in doubt

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:16am On Apr 16, 2019
You made the right choice at the right time...

You did not miss chelsea.

Chelsea also did not miss you!

End of discussion!

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by Kennywills7(m): 10:20am On Apr 16, 2019
SouthSouth1914:

He wanted to make it big so much in chelsea and he was denied that
It still hurt him till date

1 Like 1 Share

Re: De Bruyne: I Only Spoke To Mourinho Twice As A Chelsea Player by nepapole(m): 10:21am On Apr 16, 2019
My own is that city must not win the league and champions League.
May God deliver me from this hatred for city...amen

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2023 WWC: Nnadozie Wins Woman Of The Match In Super Falcons’ Draw Against Canada / Vincent Enyeama Considering his Retirement from International football / Fans May Not Be Returning To Football Matches Anytime Soon- FA Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.