Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,140 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? (20219 Views)

Good Friday: Is It Really Wrong To Eat Meat? / Timothy Ofoegbu: Why Catholics Don't Eat Meat On Good Friday (Video) / Sex On Good Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:00am On Apr 19, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

Bro my family members are all Catholics and I love them alot.
Why are you emotionally attached to the things of this world?
the church is not a thing of the world, fasting from something is for spiritual growth not about the world.

The question you should ask is why are you so quick to condemn others

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by AkpaMgbor(m): 10:01am On Apr 19, 2019
Elvis778:
They were compiled by the Catholics 500 AD, please, use your Google wisely, check history of the Bible
We're getting somewhere...From written to now compiled ? The scriptures that Christ read from in the synagogue were compiled by who? Because the church in Rome had access to a lot of scriptural material (due to the bubbling activities of Christian converts then) does in no way mean that they gave us the Bible..all the books in the Bible were already written before the establishment of the Roman Catholic Church...

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Ubenedictus(m): 10:03am On Apr 19, 2019
jayson87:
thats what religion makes people do... stupid things, waiting for one catholic to come justify this, tell me how goat blood translates to the blood of jesus
weytin concern goat blood and Jesus blood? Why not just ask why they do it instead of assuming a silly reason

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 10:04am On Apr 19, 2019
anderson96:
by the way who told you that christ died on good friday, christ did not die on good friday. if you are saying christ died on friday thenyour calculations are wrong because the bible said that he died three days and three night and if you count from friday to sunday you will see that it is wrong, the exact day was thursday not friday. coolby the way who told you that christ died on good friday, christ did not die on good friday. if you are saying christ died on friday thenyour calculations are wrong because the bible said that he died three days and three night and if you count from friday to sunday you will see that it is wrong, the exact day was thursday not friday.

Are you aware that the Jewish calculation of a day is very different from the way we calculate? A day for the Jews starts from 6a.m to 6p.m. By 6:01p.m, we are now in another day. So, when you calculate this, Jesus was in the tomb for 3 days. Ask questions from the Mother Church, and not those founded by men who themselves are ignorant of events and meanings in the Scriptures
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 10:07am On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

We're getting somewhere...From written to now compiled ? The scriptures that Christ read from in the synagogue were compiled by who? Because the church in Rome had access to a lot of scriptural material (due to the bubbling activities of Christian converts then) does in no way mean that they gave us the Bible..all the books in the Bible were already written before the establishment of the Roman Catholic Church...

So, when was the Catholic Church established?
Secondly, the New Testament books were written when?
Google the internet and learn about canonicity of the Bible. Don't display your ignorance here

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by winterfell007(m): 10:08am On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

This lie has continued because you lots have never opened your bibles before! You mean the book of genesis, exodus, leviticus, numbers and deutronomy that was written by moses was written by Catholics? Or the psalms of David by David himself? Or the book of Joshua? Matthew wrote the first book in the new testament..mark, luke and John also wrote theirs...Paul wrote letters to those in colossus, philipi, thesalonica, ephesus..John wrote the revelation...pray tell! Which of them was a Roman Catholic devotee? Bloody ignorant liars!

The Roman Catholicism never layed claims to writing any Bible. The Bible you all base your arguments on is a compilation of articles written by Apostles, discipline throughout ages. The catholic church simply gather all their articles written and kept in the Vatican library and other monasteries in Europe.
The monks were the guys who compiled the books and arranged them hierarchically based on the instructions of the pope. Those books compiled was what was referred to as the bible.
You can't be more knowledgeable than the pope who warehouses the history of Bible, you weren't born 2000 years ago, but the catholic church was

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 10:14am On Apr 19, 2019
Elvis778:

Christ did not even die on Thursday, mind you, this happened over 2000 years ago, there was nothing like Thursday and Friday then, as Christians, we can jointly choose a date to remember the birth and death of our lord Jesus Christ,

Yes, true, there were no Thursdays as in the names or Fridays as we attribute the names to them now. But Jesus Christ was crucified during the Passover feast of the Jews then. Read again the events leading to the death of Jesus alongside celebration of Passover of the Jews and you will realize that Jesus was crucified on Friday

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by budaatum: 10:15am On Apr 19, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

Lent was instituted by nimrod's (or baal's) mother semiramis(or Ishtar). It was designated a forty day period to mark the anniversary of Tammuz's death... Tammuz was killed by wild pig.
Eating of meat was avoided in order to mourn his death
Nimrod might have been mourning Tammuz but Jesus [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+4%3A1-11&version=NIV]fasted for 40 days[/url] and afterwards sent the devil running with his tail between his legs so he must have considered it a good thing to do and those who worship him likely should too. We can always claim we fast to celebrate the death of satan since we're not likely to mourn its death.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by emmykk(m): 10:15am On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

This lie has continued because you lots have never opened your bibles before! You mean the book of genesis, exodus, leviticus, numbers and deutronomy that was written by moses was written by Catholics? Or the psalms of David by David himself? Or the book of Joshua? Matthew wrote the first book in the new testament..mark, luke and John also wrote theirs...Paul wrote letters to those in colossus, philipi, thesalonica, ephesus..John wrote the revelation...pray tell! Which of them was a Roman Catholic devotee? Bloody ignorant liars!

The Bible you are currently using with 66 books are canonically made by the Catholic Church, yes most of the Old Testament were written by prophets but all the New Testament are 100percent the works of the Catholic Church .And they accepted any book into the bible

You need to google the history of the Bible before telling those who canonized the books of the bible if it is in the Bible

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by OndoRaph(m): 10:16am On Apr 19, 2019
Religion and spiritualism are both dogmatic in nature. They require prescription and no inquisition. Just do as said and don't question.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by enemyofprogress: 10:18am On Apr 19, 2019
Suya and nkwobi just dey hungry me like crazy
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by AkpaMgbor(m): 10:19am On Apr 19, 2019
winterfell007:

The Roman Catholicism never layed claims to writing any Bible. The Bible you all base your arguments on is a compilation of articles written by Apostles, discipline throughout ages. The catholic church simply gather all their articles written and kept in the Vatican library and other monasteries in Europe.
The monks were the guys who compiled the books and arranged them hierarchically based on the instructions of the pope. Those books compiled was what was referred to as the bible.
You can't be more knowledgeable than the pope who warehouses the history of Bible, you weren't born 2000 years ago, but the catholic church was
I know more about the history of the church than you will ever know even if you Googled for a year...the term Catholic means universal...the Eastern orthodox, the Anglo orthodox church and the assyrian church were all called Catholic, together with the one in Rome..hence the name the Roman Catholic Church..the church in Rome does NOT have sole authority or knowledge about the Christian faith, never did and never will..it was the introduction of certain doctrines by the church in Rome that led the others to disassociate from them..
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Elvis778(m): 10:20am On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

just check the history of the bible, don't have time for argument
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by emmykk(m): 10:20am On Apr 19, 2019
Kennydoc:

What do you mean by the statement in bold?

Google is your friend
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 10:20am On Apr 19, 2019
donsheddy1:
It's just paganism. Easter celebration itself is not of God. Who told the church that Jesus died on a particular day? The only enjoyment I have on days like this is the holidays and nothing more. Telling me Easter and Christmas is biblical or you have to abstain from meat on a certain day is biblical, just know you're an idol worshipper.

Lazy Nigerian. Why don't you google things out and discover the truth for yourself? Everything is on Google. That you don't know doesn't make it paganism. It only shows your level of knowledge which is surprisingly very low and biased

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by AkpaMgbor(m): 10:22am On Apr 19, 2019
emmykk:

The Bible you are currently using with 66 books are canonically made by the Catholic Church, yes most of the Old Testament were written by prophets but all the New Testament are 100percent the works of the Catholic Church .And they accepted any book into the bible

You need to google the history of the Bible before telling those who canonized the books of the bible if it is in the Bible
Unlike you I prefer the truth in the Bible rather than the one on your Google..so Paul, Matthew, Mark, luke,Peter and John were Roman Catholics??

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Zona123(m): 10:25am On Apr 19, 2019
I have nothing to say about this question because the person that asked this question is only trying to attract comments rather than enlightening his readers,
I didn't see any reason for this thread, when the originator had no answers to the question he or she raised

But for those of you condemning the Catholic Church over what you don't know anything about and those of you claiming Bible believing Christians, that you believe only what is written down.

Maybe you are not aware that it is this same Catholic Church that brought the gospel to you that without the Catholic Church you would be practicing today your ancestors tradition. You forgot that your church only started existing the moment your pastor or G.O decided to break away from his childhood church to start his own church.

You forgot that it is this same Catholic Church that many of you claim is practicing idolatry that gave you the Bible you now claim to understand and know better than them.

I hereby call on all people who are willing to have knowledge about what the Catholic Church is teaching to check this few sites I'll list below, because knowledge is power.

1. ORAL APOSTOLIC TRADITION (SCRIPTURE CATHOLIC) https://www.scripturecatholic.com

2. SCRIPTURE AND TRADITION / CATHOLIC ANSWERS https://www.catholic.com>tract>scriptures

3. DO CHRISTIANS NEED ONLY THE BIBLE? (CATHOLIC NEWS AGENCY) https://www.catholicnewsagency.com

4. WHY DON'T CATHOLICS EAT MEAT ON FRIDAYS? rediscover.archspm.org

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 10:25am On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

The book of Genesis alone doesn't make the entire Bible. So also, having a number of 18 biblical books don't make the Bible. The argument here is about the Bible, with its books. Please, learn to google about the Bible and stop displaying ignorance of the Bible you claim to know so well

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by AkpaMgbor(m): 10:26am On Apr 19, 2019
Elvis778:

just check the history of the bible, don't have time for argument
There is no argument because you do not have any! The history of the Bible is IN the Bible itself..I know the history of the books collosian, ephisian, philipians, galatians and thesalonians because they were written by apostle Paul himself! I know the history of the books of Timothy because they were written by Timothy who was under the tutelage of Paul..so again I ask, what history are you talking about??

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 10:26am On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

The book of Genesis alone doesn't make the entire Bible. So also, having a number of 18 biblical books don't make the Bible. The argument here is about the Bible, with its books. Please, learn to study about the Bible, especially how it came about.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by AkpaMgbor(m): 10:27am On Apr 19, 2019
Waylex21:

The book of Genesis alone doesn't make the entire Bible. So also, having a number of 18 biblical books don't make the Bible. The argument here is about the Bible, with its books. Please, learn to google about the Bible and stop displaying ignorance of the Bible you claim to know so well
Running from pillar to post..una no get point..always hiding behind the "Google it" line when you are caught out.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 10:29am On Apr 19, 2019
Foodforthought:

No such thing as mother church. No church in heaven. One lord, one faith, one baptism.

The mother Church is the only church for more than 1,500 years before churches began springing up during the Protestant revolution
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by KidsNEXTdoor: 10:30am On Apr 19, 2019
Kennydoc:

Mother church that will acknowledge Mary before Jesus... Many staunch Catholics are idol worshippers.
Foodforthought:

No such thing as mother church. No church in heaven. One lord, one faith, one baptism.

I can see you guys failed history class
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 10:30am On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

Running from pillar to post..una no get point..always hiding behind the "Google it" line when you are caught out.

Not at all. The info is massive that's why. You can do well to read it up yourself. I have done that and my understanding changed
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Elvis778(m): 10:32am On Apr 19, 2019
What do you want to defend?? Do you know the Bible is an incomplete book?? The Popes compiled the scattered scriptures of the old testament, then, the letter of Paul, the book of Matthew, Luke and others were all hidden, the found it, compiled some of them and called it the new testament, then they merged all these writings and called it THE BIBLE. That you are ignorant doesn't give you the right to spill trash. Like i said, go and make research please before coming here to argue.
AkpaMgbor:

There is no argument because you do not have any! The history of the Bible is IN the Bible itself..I know the history of the books collosian, ephisian, philipians, galatians and thesalonians because they were written by apostle Paul himself! I know the history of the books of Timothy because they were written by Timothy who was under the tutelage of Paul..so again I ask, what history are you talking about??

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by emmykk(m): 10:33am On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

Unlike you I prefer the truth in the Bible rather than the one on your Google..so Paul, Matthew, Mark, luke,Peter and John were Roman Catholics??

Yes Peter is the first pope.... That is why you need google.... I don't know the church you attend but the Catholic Church have been in existence for centuries.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Buchika: 10:36am On Apr 19, 2019
Can you explain more clearly: what was the pagan tradition called then, which city or nation practiced it,
when did the Catholics adopt it.
OpenYourEyes1:

Not really biblical. It is an ancient pagan tradition.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Kennydoc(m): 10:44am On Apr 19, 2019
emmykk:

Google is your friend

Were Saints Paul, Peter, John, James, Matthew, Mark, Luke, the prophets of old, David, Solomon, Moses and all other writers of the scriptures Catholics?

Don't tell me that crap that Peter was the first pope. That's absolute bunkum. St. Peter was not a Roman Catholic. The brand of Christianity practised by the early church is akin to the present day pentecostalism in it's best form. The idolization of Mary and all other practices carried on by the RC Church were introduced in the middle ages, and many of them stem from the idol worship in the Roman Empire of those days.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by egojeny1(f): 10:46am On Apr 19, 2019
Amaureen:
Catholics don't eat meat on good Friday as a kind of abstinence because Good Friday is the remembrance of the crucifixion of our Lord Jesus Christ who came to the world in human form. As His flesh was suffered and crucified, catholics honour and cherish that sacrifice by not eating anything that has flesh on every Good Friday and ash Wednesday as a form of penance in remembrance of the flesh that was killed for our sins.
But they eat fish. Does fish not have flesh and blood?
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 10:50am On Apr 19, 2019
Kennydoc:

Were Saints Paul, Peter, John, James, Matthew, Mark, Luke, the prophets of old, David, Solomon, Moses and all other writers of the scriptures Catholics?

Don't tell me that crap that Peter was the first pope. That's absolute bunkum. St. Peter was not a Roman Catholic. The brand of Christianity practised by the early church is akin to the present day pentecostalism in it's best form. The idolization of Mary and all other practices carried on by the RC Church were introduced in the middle ages, and many of them stem from the idol worship in the Roman Empire of those days.

Let's go this way. There was just one Church right from the beginning. Among the apostles
, Peter was given the prime in place. You can check that out from the Acts of the Apostles. Later, when other churches began to spring up during the Middle Ages, there was need to distinguish the Church from the churches. That was where the designation, Catholic began. Secondly, the Roman part, was to distinguish between the Catholics of the Eastern rite from those of the western rite

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Elvis778(m): 10:52am On Apr 19, 2019
egojeny1:
But they eat fish. Does fish not have flesh and blood?
This is the effects of not knowing history.
In the olden days, Fish is seen as a very common thing, but meat is seen as a sign of CELEBRATION. Take note,
even in the world today, if you are celebrating your wedding, you don't serve FISH,
you serve MEAT.
So the practice of not eating meat is simply not celebrating,
you should be sad and not happy that your lord was murdered on this very day.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 19, 2019
ExAngel007:
I have been wondering why Catholics don't eat meat on Good Friday.

What's it significant? Are there any curses or consequences if one disobey?

why do they eat fish instead of meat?

Where and when did the Bible says we shouldn't eat meat on Fridays

we practise some of d old testament...it cums frm d old testament of d bible,wic ve been used since d inception of catholic...hapi gud friday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Truth About Crucifixion / African Men Only Good At Sex; Not Romantic At All - Reverend Ransford Obeng / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: Don’t Faint In The Day Of Adversity!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.