Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? (20283 Views)

Good Friday: Is It Really Wrong To Eat Meat? / Timothy Ofoegbu: Why Catholics Don't Eat Meat On Good Friday (Video) / Sex On Good Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by chigoziri2403(m): 10:59am On Apr 19, 2019
winterfell007:

That same Bible guiding the Christian faith is a product of the efforts of Popes throughout the ages that directed the affairs of Catholicism and largely Christianity. Google check it
which stupid pope?
I have forgotten Catholics bible are different from the holy Bible
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by egojeny1(f): 11:01am On Apr 19, 2019
Elvis778:

This is the effects of not knowing history.
In the olden days, Fish is seen as a very common thing, but meat is seen as a sign of CELEBRATION. Take note,
even in the world today, if you are celebrating your wedding, you don't serve FISH,
you serve MEAT.
So the practice of not eating meat is simply not celebrating,
you should be sad and not happy that your lord was murdered on this very day.
I understood u bro, i only quoted the lady that said catholics don't eat anything that has flesh on good friday.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by TimiRume(f): 11:01am On Apr 19, 2019
I was born a catholic but i'm beginning to reconsider it's teachings because i'd love to submit to just one authority. Traditions are good but when they contradict the bibe do you still hold on to them at the expense of biblical facts?

Good and staunch catholics which authority is supreme? The bible or traditions.

For example, there is no place in the bible where Mary is prayed to in her lifetime or in death, i think i ve seen where she even claimed Jesus as her saviour. You know, there was a time some people told Jesus his mum was in need of him and he said only those that do the will of God are his mothers. If indeed she was divine or sacred that would have been the best time for Jesus to establish that but he did something very contradictory and thought provoking.

Second, didn't Christianity start from Israel? With 12 jewish men who were disciples? or are we missing something?
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Nobody: 11:02am On Apr 19, 2019
Nt really frm d pagan law...read Genesis were d children of israelite were asked to kill goat,cow n use d blood on deir door n also ensure d dnt ve left over of d meat next day...dat is where no eating of meat on friday cums in...if u went to mass yesterday wic was HOLY thursaday,dat was second reading...hapi gud friday.
OpenYourEyes1:

Not really biblical. It is an ancient pagan tradition.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Decision99(m): 11:04am On Apr 19, 2019
Judge not so U wouldn't be judged. If it pleases U to eat meat on good Friday, U can go on and eat it and leave us alone.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Kennydoc(m): 11:06am On Apr 19, 2019
Waylex21:

Let's go this way. There was just one Church right from the beginning. Among the apostles
, Peter was given the prime in place. You can check that out from the Acts of the Apostles. Later, when other churches began to spring up during the Middle Ages, there was need to distinguish the Church from the churches. That was where the designation, Catholic began. Secondly, the Roman part, was to distinguish between the Catholics of the Eastern rite from those of the western rite

My point is that the Catholic Church is a far cry from what the early Church was. The early Church which Peter, Paul, James, John, Timothy, Barnabas etc belonged to was more like the present day pentecostal churches. Along the line, the early Church became terribly corrupted, a lot of compromises were made in the middle ages, several unscriptural doctrines were adopted, the most prominent of which is the reverence for Mary (which was never done by the early Church). Today, Mary is placed on the same level with Jesus Christ, by Catholics. That's why I tell you that the Catholic Church isn't the church the early saints handed over.
I agree that all other denominations stemmed from the Catholic Church, which is the reason why the Catholic Church ended up becoming Roman Catholic Church.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by VcStunner(m): 11:09am On Apr 19, 2019
Castroii:

1st John 2:27
As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.
Also calling some set of humans the originator of the bible means giving glory to man for God's work, whatever way you want to put it.
lol... I know how this is done bro, but am not gonna go with you on that dimension. But you see, you have the books of the new testament because the church decided to archive them when they did and also released same. Am sure you don't know Judas iscariot also has his own account? So does Mary Magdalene, Tobit, Sirach and numerous other names in the bible you have probably never heard of. But you will say they were not inspired by the holy spirit. Like I said, you have only fragments of the history called Christianity and has no moral right to judge or cast aspersions to the womb that kept that history alive until your GOs decided on which ones to teach you.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Josonas: 11:10am On Apr 19, 2019
Celestial Church of Christ observe Good Friday too and we don't eat meat too.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by AkpaMgbor(m): 11:15am On Apr 19, 2019
emmykk:

Yes Peter is the first pope.... That is why you need google.... I don't know the church you attend but the Catholic Church have been in existence for centuries.

False! Peter NEVER even set foot in Rome! How then was he the first Pope?? The Pope is the religious leader of the ROMAN Catholic Church, emphasis on Roman...Peter had nothing to do with the church in Rome...

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by AkpaMgbor(m): 11:18am On Apr 19, 2019
Elvis778:
What do you want to defend?? Do you know the Bible is an incomplete book?? The Popes compiled the scattered scriptures of the old testament, then, the letter of Paul, the book of Matthew, Luke and others were all hidden, the found it, compiled some of them and called it the new testament, then they merged all these writings and called it THE BIBLE. That you are ignorant doesn't give you the right to spill trash. Like i said, go and make research please before coming here to argue.
Look at them regurgitating a lie that has been told for years! It was the church in Rome that made great efforts to even hide the books from the common man! It was Luther who went against their agenda to make the gospel known to the man in the streets! Do you think you are talking to your fellow gullible lots that don't read?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 11:19am On Apr 19, 2019
TimiRume:
I was born a catholic but i'm beginning to reconsider it's teachings because i'd love to submit to just one authority. Traditions are good but when they contradict the bibe do you still hold on to them at the expense of biblical facts?

Good and staunch catholics which authority is supreme? The bible or traditions.

For example, there is no place in the bible where Mary is prayed to in her lifetime or in death, i think i ve seen where she even claimed Jesus as her saviour. You know, there was a time some people told Jesus his mum was in need of him and he said only those that do the will of God are his mothers. If indeed she was divine or sacred that would have been the best time for Jesus to establish that but he did something very contradictory and thought provoking.

Second, didn't Christianity start from Israel? With 12 jewish men who were disciples? or are we missing something?

You don't need to reconsider. The Scriptures and the Tradition form the nexus of faith. They are not contradictory at all. As a matter of fact, tradition explains the Scriptures better.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 11:24am On Apr 19, 2019
Kennydoc:

My point is that the Catholic Church is a far cry from what the early Church was. The early Church which Peter, Paul, James, John, Timothy, Barnabas etc belonged to was more like the present day pentecostal churches. Along the line, the early Church became terribly corrupted, a lot of compromises were made in the middle ages, several unscriptural doctrines were adopted, the most prominent of which is the reverence for Mary (which was never done by the early Church). Today, Mary is placed on the same level with Jesus Christ, by Catholics. That's why I tell you that the Catholic Church isn't the church the early saints handed over.
I agree that all other denominations stemmed from the Catholic Church, which is the reason why the Catholic Church ended up becoming Roman Catholic Church.

That's a lie that was construed by hate-filled people. One thing is that faith is a journey. The Christian faith has grown from the time of the apostles. Everything the Catholic Church does has biblical background and roots. It's those who are ready and willing to learn more that will discover wisdom

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 11:26am On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

False! Peter NEVER even set foot in Rome! How then was he the first Pope?? The Pope is the religious leader of the ROMAN Catholic Church, emphasis on Roman...Peter had nothing to do with the church in Rome...

History tells us Peter came to Rome. It was there he was martyred

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by TimiRume(f): 11:27am On Apr 19, 2019
Waylex21:

You don't need to reconsider. The Scriptures and the Tradition form the nexus of faith. They are not contradictory at all. As a matter of fact, tradition explains the Scriptures better.
I want to believe this but many things are not adding up to me.

Can you help explain how praying to Mary and saints that have passed on explain the scriptures better because i can't even see any notion like that in the bible?
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by AkpaMgbor(m): 11:33am On Apr 19, 2019
Waylex21:

History tells us Peter came to Rome. It was there he was martyred
grin lol you guys amaze me to no end.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by SheikhMuniru(m): 11:41am On Apr 19, 2019
Catholic And Mumunism Are Like 5 And 6
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 11:45am On Apr 19, 2019
TimiRume:
I want to believe this but many things are not adding up to me.

Can you help explain how praying to Mary and saints that have passed on explain the scriptures better because i can't even see any notion like that in the bible?

First and foremost, the word pray, is simply to ask a favour from someone. Old English used pray for anyone, not just God.
Secondly, our faith teaches us Mary is the mother of Jesus. It was through Mary's request that the first miracle of Jesus at the marriage at Cana in Galilee took place.
Thirdly, the Catholic Church professes the communion of saints I. e. both the union of both the living and those who have departed. That's why Moses and Elijah could appear to Jesus at his transfiguration. The souls of the Saints are with God
Fourthly, in Revelations chapters 5 and 8, the prayers of the Saints ascend to God's altar in heaven.

Then, the various apparitions of Mary in history, she had always appeared praying and calling for prayers and conversion. All these are some of the reasons why Mary the mother of Jesus can pray for us and with us

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 11:47am On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:
Yeah, because history is amazing
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Amaureen: 11:47am On Apr 19, 2019
I never mentioned blood and fish is not bodily flesh, it does not have any biological similarity with flesh.
egojeny1:
But they eat fish. Does fish not have flesh and blood?
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 11:48am On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

Yeah, because history is amazing. Mind you, Peter didn't die in Jerusalem but in Rome. So also, apostle Paul

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 11:52am On Apr 19, 2019
SheikhMuniru:
Catholic And Mumunism Are Like 5 And 6

As a matter of fact, the Catholic Church is the most organised society. What you call mumuism is ignorance of the Catholic Church on your part and that of many. Don't just rely on hearsays and half-truths about the Catholic Church. Try to know firsthand what the Catholic faith is all about. You can't know about something if you are not fully part of it

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by crunchyg: 12:07pm On Apr 19, 2019
Waylex21:

This has nothing to do with the flesh. Even Jesus himself fasted for 40 days. Fasting and abstinence is a key part of the Christian experience
Oga I wasn't talking about fasting or eating I was only referring to eating fish instead of meat, try and read well before you jump on a comment
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 19, 2019
Speakdatruth:

That's an insult on the religion. Speak from the position of knowledge.
Roman Universal Church(sic Catholic) and the Bible, which is correct? On this day April 19th corresponds to Nissan 14 on Jewish calendar being the great Passover day, Do Jews fast and abstain from food or meat? NO.
In the Bible account of this day, Jesus ate and drink with his apostles, Mathew 26:21. The command to abstain from food and meat on some certain day is diabolic. 1st Timothy 4:1-3a.
Where many Catholics are raised to believe in Cacthesim, in Cacthesim in lesson 1-3 Ask where can truth be found?
Answer: Cacthesim clearly informed all Catholics, if they want to know the truth, they should consult the Bible
Roman Universal Church (sic Catholic) is steeped in Islamism, Hinduism, Christo-paganism, animism and magic. Search online the Book, The two babylons. By late Bishop Alexander Hislop a prominient Catholic clergy.
The Bible is encouraging all lover of truth to get out her and his accomplishes Rev 18:4
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by crunchyg: 12:09pm On Apr 19, 2019
Amaureen:
And I ask again: do you eat vulture? Give me a yes or no answer and not passages.
Havnt eaten it maybe because I havnt had the opportunity, but eating it too is not bad or sin that's what I want you to understand, some people that had the opportunity has eaten it
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by crunchyg: 12:11pm On Apr 19, 2019
Fran6ik:

So why do you fast?

My comment refers to eating of fish but not eating meat, I wasn't referring to fasting, make una try dey read comment well before quoting thanks
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 12:11pm On Apr 19, 2019
crunchyg:

Oga I wasn't talking about fasting or eating I was only referring to eating fish instead of meat, try and read well before you jump on a comment

Read through the comments already posted. This question has been answered. As a matter of fact, it's not about abstinence from meat. Meat was considered the optimum for celebrations, not fish. So, today is not about not eating meat, but fasting and abstinence especially from what one enjoys doing

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Ntente(m): 12:14pm On Apr 19, 2019

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by crunchyg: 12:18pm On Apr 19, 2019
Waylex21:

Read through the comments already posted. This question has been answered. As a matter of fact, it's not about abstinence from meat. Meat was considered the optimum for celebrations, not fish. So, today is not about not eating meat, but fasting and abstinence especially from what one enjoys doing
Then my responds was to the op that talked about meat and fish so I don't know why you jumped on a comment that wasn't directed to you in the first place
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 12:19pm On Apr 19, 2019
indigene:

Roman Universal Church(sic Catholic) and the Bible, which is correct? On this day April 19th corresponds to Nissan 14 on Jewish calendar being the great Passover day, Do Jews fast and abstain from food or meat? NO.
In the Bible account of this day, Jesus ate and drink with his apostles, Mathew 26:21. The command to abstain from food and meat on some certain day is diabolic. 1st Timothy 4:1-3a.
Where many Catholics are raised to believe in Cacthesim, in Cacthesim in lesson 1-3 Ask where can truth be found?
Answer: Cacthesim clearly informed all Catholics, if they want to know the truth, they should consult the Bible
Roman Universal Church (sic Catholic) is steeped in Islamism, Hinduism, Christo-paganism, animism and magic. Search online the Book, The two babylons. By late Bishop Alexander Hislop a prominient Catholic clergy.
The Bible is encouraging all lover of truth to get out her and his accomplishes Rev 18:4

You are not reading the right book. If you want to learn the truth, opinions are to be sidelined for true knowledge search.

Yes, it is true, the Jews eat meat today. This is not Judaism we are talking about. Secondly, today's fasting and abstinence is to commemorate the murdering of Jesus, how an innocent man was killed. If you believe in it, no wahala. If not, leave those practising it alone. Dey your lane, make I dey my lane
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 12:20pm On Apr 19, 2019
crunchyg:

Then my responds was to the op that talked about meat and fish so I don't know why you jumped on a comment that wasn't directed to you in the first place

I guess you got me totally wrong as well
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Elvis778(m): 12:21pm On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

Look at them regurgitating a lie that has been told for years! It was the church in Rome that made great efforts to even hide the books from the common man! It was Luther who went against their agenda to make the gospel known to the man in the streets! Do you think you are talking to your fellow gullible lots that don't read?

don't cover your lies man, Luther king only questioned the presence of the APOCRYPHA in the bible and requested they should remove it as he believes it's not inspired by God, the Church refused and that lead to the separation of the church. Read your history bro cheesy
The APOCRYPHA are extra books found in Catholic Bible, e.g. TOBITH.
So to say, the Catholics has more books in the Bible than the protestant.
Luther king had a disagreement with the church in this part, he believed those books weren't inspired so he went against it.
This disagreement together with that of priests not getting married made him leave the church with some group of people and priests too, they called themselves, THE PROTESTANTS. So don't come here to spill trash.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by crunchyg: 12:22pm On Apr 19, 2019
Waylex21:

I guess you got me totally wrong as well
Now that we have gotten ourselves right can we now move on? Happy good firiday

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Students Caught Papa Frank Lloyd With A Truckload Of Charm / Truth About Crucifixion / My Experience As A Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.