Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? (20284 Views)

Good Friday: Is It Really Wrong To Eat Meat? / Timothy Ofoegbu: Why Catholics Don't Eat Meat On Good Friday (Video) / Sex On Good Friday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by crunchyg: 12:25pm On Apr 19, 2019
Waylex21:

Read through the comments already posted. This question has been answered. As a matter of fact, it's not about abstinence from meat. Meat was considered the optimum for celebrations, not fish. So, today is not about not eating meat, but fasting and abstinence especially from what one enjoys doing
In order note, I will like to bring to your notice that if anyone decides not to fast this period he hasn't done anything wrong, we now live according to the leading of the holy spirit and not according to the Law
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Moloso(m): 12:29pm On Apr 19, 2019
ExAngel007:
I have been wondering why Catholics don't eat meat on Good Friday.

What's it significant? Are there any curses or consequences if one disobey?

why do they eat fish instead of meat?

Where and when did the Bible says we shouldn't eat meat on Fridays

my roommate that just finish eating fish forget no be all
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Elvis778(m): 12:38pm On Apr 19, 2019
Moloso:
my roommate that just finish eating fish forget no be all
Fish is allowed, but not Meat
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by saintofheaven: 12:47pm On Apr 19, 2019
ExAngel007:
I have been wondering why Catholics don't eat meat on Good Friday.

What's it significant? Are there any curses or consequences if one disobey?

why do they eat fish instead of meat?

Where and when did the Bible says we shouldn't eat meat on Fridays

Why do Catholics avoid meat today being Good Friday and ash Wednesday. It's an act of penance or penitence, a form of fasting, if you like, to honor Jesus who shed his blood to set us free. Though there's nothing we can offer to equate all that God, through Jesus, did and still does for us, abstaining from meat on good Friday or every Friday, as most people do, because it has blood in it, is a symbol of self denial to identify with the sufferings, pains, crucifixion and death of Christ. Blood is life. To abstain from eating meat, is a discipline we impose on ourselves in solidarity with Jesus. So, it's a form of fasting to keep alive the memories or the doings of Jesus' act of Supreme sacrifice, his pure, unconditional love for us. Like I said before, there's nothing we can do that can equate with God's love or sacrifice for us, it's just our little contribution to discipline ourselves, to deny ourselves of that basic necessity (protein) which most people who are caught up in the culture of consumerism, debauchery and luxury can't do without. That doesn't mean that we are better than they, themselves, neither are we judging nor condemning them. Nope! We're rather fasting for the whole world, for the remission of our sins, to keep the memory of Friday Supreme Sacrifice of Jesus alive and form a strong, authentic Spirituality that can resist that which most people cannot do without so as to form a holy alliance, relationship with Jesus. It's (self) mortification and abnegation. In a way, the discipline from this spiritual and physical exercise can help us to avoid or refrain from certain sin or sinful desires by then, we've gained a lot by this little sacrifice. It's a free decision we make and we are meant to be happy in doing it both as individuals and as a group. It should not be done complaining, comparing, condemning and judging others who are not doing or observing it. It's our spirituality as Catholic Christian. Any other people or persons or churches can choose what to offer or do in observance of their own self discipline. Sad that some people condemn what they do not understand without making efforts to understand through questioning, studying and observing reasonable. Ecologically, by not eating meat on Good Friday or every Friday as most do, or even daily, we are helping to spare the lives of animals from falling into extinction because of human rapacious greedy nature. However, the proceeds from this abstenance, i.e., the money which I would have spent on buying meat, are gathered together to give to the poor as charity, which is one of the fruits of fasting from meat. Hence, the Good Friday collection, both in cash and kind, to assist the needy people the world over. Catholics keep traditions of the events of Jesus from birth to death and to his resurrection, ascension and the Pentecost to relive them, that is, to keep their memories alive or fresh in our minds.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by TimiRume(f): 12:49pm On Apr 19, 2019
Waylex21:

First and foremost, the word pray, is simply to ask a favour from someone. Old English used pray for anyone, not just God.
Secondly, our faith teaches us Mary is the mother of Jesus. It was through Mary's request that the first miracle of Jesus at the marriage at Cana in Galilee took place.
I like how responsive you are and the example you ve given. However, i want us to look at the facts and the logic behind the Christian faith.

Now, we all confess that only God is omnipresent. In other words he alone has this quality to simultaneously attend to everyone at same time in different locations because everything/one is before him. And if we say Mary accepts favours like God from every race are we not ascribing this divine quality that only God has to her?

Yes, our faith teaches Christ was made by a woman under the law. Our faith teaches this Christ is God in flesh or God as man. God as the second Adam, did what the first Adam could not do. By reasoning of this, we can see how Mary was the mother of God as man and not God as God because God has no beginning and therefore cannot be made by a woman or subjected to dispensations. So Mary was the mother of Jesus, who is God as man. But she herself was a hand maiden of God, a vessel God used to bring himself into this world as a man. If we say Mary is the mother of God, then aint we saying Mary precedes God and God was created? but that would be false. And the only way to correct this wouldn't it by making accurate statements?

If we say Mary is still the mother of Jesus(even in heaven) is this not extra biblical? Do our earthly parents still remain our parents in heaven? Any bible proof or notion?

Continuing the argument, does that simple request made by Mary to Jesus imply that she is more than what we have seen in the bible? I think Mary and Martha did something like this too when their brother died. The disciples too and many of the Israelites. They all intervened for others. And Jesus grant them all.

Thirdly, the Catholic Church professes the communion of saints I. e. both the union of both the living and those who have departed. That's why Moses and Elijah could appear to Jesus at his transfiguration. The souls of the Saints are with God
Fourthly, in Revelations chapters 5 and 8, the prayers of the Saints ascend to God's altar in heaven.
You see, this where i'm finding it hard continuing with the catholic church because of blanket summaries like this. Looking at the bible, i think it has it's language and its mode of revealing itself if we follow the patterns. Because there are indeed patterns that reveal deep meanings and explain better previous knowledge.

Now you said the catholic church professes the union of both dead and living saints and you backed that with only one example that even seem problematic to me. Thanks for the example, but was that type of communion laid for the disciples to follow? Was there an express statement in the bible or a notion saying this was how Christians are to commune, the living and the dead. And commune means to communicate indeed. Let's see, Jesus was speaking with them face to face. That means they were physically present. But wasn't this just showing how Grace truncates Law and has fulfilled it and the prophecies. How do you commune with fellow saints that are not present?

If this is true, praying to mary and dead saints, how did it fly over the heads of the bible writers. Not even a sentence or few words from anyone?

Then, the various apparitions of Mary in history, she had always appeared praying and calling for prayers and conversion. All these are some of the reasons why Mary the mother of Jesus can pray for us and with us
I, like you want to believe these apparitions are true, but i have a hard time believing that God would have something like this in future added to the faith but was completely mute about it from Genesis to revelation. Did you see that the Jews expected Christ? This happened because of previous knowledge of it. They were promised a saviour. How are Christians today suppose to accept apparitions of Mary with no expectation of such or any previous knowledge or promise of such?
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by APOSTLECHUMA: 12:59pm On Apr 19, 2019
IT WAS IN ROMAN CATHOLIC LODGE CALLED CHURCH THAT THE UNHOLY MARRIAGE BETWEEN PAGANISM AND CHRISTIANITY TOOK PLACE,ALLOWING THE INTRODUCTION OF ALL SORTS OF PAGAN DOCTRINES AND PRACTICES INTO CHRISTIANITY BY ROMAN PAGANS. 1 TIM 4 : 1--3 CLEARLY WARNED THAT IN THE LATTER DAYS SOME WILL TURN AWAY FROM THE FAITH,GIVING HEED TO SEDUCING SPIRITS AND DOCTRINES OF DEMONS.DOCTRINES OF DEMONS IN VERSE 3 INCLUDES FORBIDING TO MARRY AS U HAVE AMONG CATHOLIC PRIESTS AND ABSTAINANCE FROM MEAT AS THEY DO ON GOOD FRIDAYS. LET HIM THAT READTH,UNDERSTAND. 07054142412
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Kennydoc(m): 1:00pm On Apr 19, 2019
Waylex21:

That's a lie that was construed by hate-filled people. One thing is that faith is a journey. The Christian faith has grown from the time of the apostles. Everything the Catholic Church does has biblical background and roots. It's those who are ready and willing to learn more that will discover wisdom

Maybe you can start by showing me the biblical root of praying to Mary and asking her to make intercessions for the church.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by OpenYourEyes1: 1:11pm On Apr 19, 2019
budaatum:
Nimrod might have been mourning Tammuz but Jesus [url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+4%3A1-11&version=NIV]fasted for 40 days[/url] and afterwards sent the devil running with his tail between his legs so he must have considered it a good thing to do and those who worship him likely should too. We can always claim we fast to celebrate the death of satan since we're not likely to mourn its death.

How GOD described lent-like
observation in ancient Isreal

"Then he brought me to the entrance of the north gate of the house of the LORD, and behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.
He said to me, "Do you see this, son of man? You will see things that are even more detestable than this."
— Ezekiel 8:14
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Waylex21(m): 1:12pm On Apr 19, 2019
APOSTLECHUMA:
IT WAS IN ROMAN CATHOLIC LODGE CALLED CHURCH THAT THE UNHOLY MARRIAGE BETWEEN PAGANISM AND CHRISTIANITY TOOK PLACE,ALLOWING THE INTRODUCTION OF ALL SORTS OF PAGAN DOCTRINES AND PRACTICES INTO CHRISTIANITY BY ROMAN PAGANS. 1 TIM 4 : 1--3 CLEARLY WARNED THAT IN THE LATTER DAYS SOME WILL TURN AWAY FROM THE FAITH,GIVING HEED TO SEDUCING SPIRITS AND DOCTRINES OF DEMONS.DOCTRINES OF DEMONS IN VERSE 3 INCLUDES FORBIDING TO MARRY AS U HAVE AMONG CATHOLIC PRIESTS AND ABSTAINANCE FROM MEAT AS THEY DO ON GOOD FRIDAYS. LET HIM THAT READTH,UNDERSTAND. 07054142412

Give an example of paganism mixed with the Christian faith
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by OpenYourEyes1: 1:13pm On Apr 19, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

"Then he brought me to the entrance of the north gate of the house of the LORD, and behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.
He said to me, "Do you see this, son of man? You will see things that are even more detestable than this."

This is deep.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by budaatum: 1:39pm On Apr 19, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

I wonder what book Jesus was reading that made him fast! Or was Jesus detestably worshipping Tammuz?

Have you not looked at your pagan forebears yet? Answer me please. You are the only one here who knows.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by OpenYourEyes1: 1:52pm On Apr 19, 2019
budaatum:

I wonder what book Jesus was reading that made him fast! Or was Jesus detestably worshipping Tammuz?

Have you not looked at your pagan forebears yet? Answer me please. You are the only one here who knows.

probably GOD's special number. The devil knew it?

Jesus fasted without food unlike the fasting of Tammuz
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by budaatum: 1:57pm On Apr 19, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

probably GOD's special number. The devil knew it.

Jesus fasted without food unlike the fasting of Tammuz
I don't believe you have ever fasted at all, or you'd know its benefit even if it was just a sugar fast.

Tell. Have you ever fasted?
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Amaureen: 3:00pm On Apr 19, 2019
You have not eaten it all ur life. DAT is all I need to hear
crunchyg:

Havnt eaten it maybe because I havnt had the opportunity, but eating it too is not bad or sin that's what I want you to understand, some people that had the opportunity has eaten it
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by castro316: 3:08pm On Apr 19, 2019
blissgregory:
Nt really frm d pagan law...read Genesis were d children of israelite were asked to kill goat,cow n use d blood on deir door n also ensure d dnt ve left over of d meat next day...dat is where no eating of meat on friday cums in...if u went to mass yesterday wic was HOLY thursaday,dat was second reading...hapi gud friday.

Not really biblical babe. That day catholics and christians at large are expected to abstain from all animals that are used as sacrifice because Jesus Christ's blood as shed on that day. Fasting should be done as well ad you should not break fast with meat.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by SheikhMuniru(m): 3:21pm On Apr 19, 2019
Waylex21:

As a matter of fact, the Catholic Church is the most organised society. What you call mumuism is ignorance of the Catholic Church on your part and that of many. Don't just rely on hearsays and half-truths about the Catholic Church. Try to know firsthand what the Catholic faith is all about. You can't know about something if you are not fully part of it

Sorry is Prophet Jesus just died today, why not eating meat and fish?? this is ignorance
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by herich(m): 3:57pm On Apr 19, 2019
Elvis778:
That's what we call PENANCE to mark the death of Christ.
"MEAT" azin history is a sign of CELEBRATION and in the catholic church, it is mockery for you to celebrate on the day Christ died, we all should be sad and hence no meat.
For those saying it must be in the BIBLE if not it's idolatry, may i remind you the mother church compiled the most important holy writings of history so as to make the word of God handy for Christians,
other holy books are kept safe in Vatican and that's where you'd find all the doctrines of the catholic church, some are even hidden from the public cuz mere humans won't understand it.
if they had compiled everything into the bible, it won't have been a portable book. They only needed the important scripts in the book

Catholics and ignorance eh!
So you mean you're hiding some part of God's holy word/message in the Vatican, from the rest of the world?
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by herich(m): 4:11pm On Apr 19, 2019
VcStunner:
if you are a pentecostal Christian and bringing the bible as ur defense tool against the originator of the complete bible itself, then you will have a flawed argument. You have in good authority an incomplete book and as such incomplete knowledge of the faith you even practice. Non of your Daddy GOs castigate the Catholic Church because they know where they all originated from, and the scam (personal doctrine) they propagate.

Their daddy go's can't openly come out and castigate Catholics,,, but since the teaching of daddy go's are contrary to your paganic and idolatry teaching,,,,
That is indirect castigation.

Be smart.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by winterfell007(m): 4:31pm On Apr 19, 2019
chigoziri2403:
which stupid pope?
I have forgotten Catholics bible are different from the holy Bible

Some people will just come to nairaland to argue nonsense. Tell me institutions compile the book, was it your 'daddy G.O?' that's why there are telling you to Google it. Stop arguing vainly. You can't know the history of Christianity more than the pope himself
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by poseidon12: 4:50pm On Apr 19, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
This alone should guide all Christians

Exactly.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Apr 19, 2019
castro316:

Not really biblical babe. That day catholics and christians at large are expected to abstain from all animals that are used as sacrifice because Jesus Christ's blood as shed on that day. Fasting should be done as well ad you should not break fast with meat.
ok
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Greatzeus(m): 6:20pm On Apr 19, 2019
Is it biblical? Did God command it? Did the early church practice it?
No No and No,now you have your answer.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by VcStunner(m): 6:22pm On Apr 19, 2019
herich:

Their daddy go's can't openly come out and castigate Catholics,,, but since the teaching of daddy go's are contrary to your paganic and idolatry teaching,,,,
That is indirect castigation.

Be smart.
lol... paganic indeed. You see, at the end you will realize that non of these arguments changed a thing, since the end will always justify the means. All you have to do going forward is to make sure your conscience is always clear of... ALWAYS. Because the day you lose your conscience is the day you die spiritually. That's all fam.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by crunchyg: 6:57pm On Apr 19, 2019
Amaureen:
You have not eaten it all ur life. DAT is all I need to hear
Please shift one side
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Buke26: 7:12pm On Apr 19, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:
This alone should guide all Christians

Don't forget it was the same Catholic Church that Canonised the Bible. Through the Spirit of God, the Catholic Church gave us the Bible.

I hold them in the highest of esteem
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Buke26: 7:15pm On Apr 19, 2019
Lordofthewest:
I still do not see how catholics are different from orumila or sango idol worshipers, most of their doctrines are clear idolatry contradicting the Bible.

People criticise what they don't understand. Anyway if men used the greenwood like this; what then happens when its dry
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Buke26: 7:19pm On Apr 19, 2019
What I later come understand is that most people arguing against the Catholic Church and her teachings have [b][/b]NEVER been to a Catholic Church.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Buke26: 7:26pm On Apr 19, 2019
TimiRume:
I was born a catholic but i'm beginning to reconsider it's teachings because i'd love to submit to just one authority. Traditions are good but when they contradict the bibe do you still hold on to them at the expense of biblical facts?

Good and staunch catholics which authority is supreme? The bible or traditions.

For example, there is no place in the bible where Mary is prayed to in her lifetime or in death, i think i ve seen where she even claimed Jesus as her saviour. You know, there was a time some people told Jesus his mum was in need of him and he said only those that do the will of God are his mothers. If indeed she was divine or sacred that would have been the best time for Jesus to establish that but he did something very contradictory and thought provoking.

Second, didn't Christianity start from Israel? With 12 jewish men who were disciples? or are we missing something?

You were never a Catholic. Stop lieing just to make ut story fit in
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Elvis778(m): 9:31pm On Apr 19, 2019
herich:

So you mean you're hiding some part of God's holy word/message in the Vatican, from the rest of the world?
use you brain and understand.
Less important books are kept in the Vatican library, or your mind is telling you all the holy books were compiled??
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Elvis778(m): 9:33pm On Apr 19, 2019
herich:

use your brain and understand.
Actually in this context, you are the ignorant one.
Less important books are kept in the Vatican library,
or is your mind telling you all the holy books were compiled??
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Amhappy(f): 11:07pm On Apr 19, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

I know more about the history of the church than you will ever know even if you Googled for a year...the term Catholic means universal...the Eastern orthodox, the Anglo orthodox church and the assyrian church were all called Catholic, together with the one in Rome..hence the name the Roman Catholic Church..the church in Rome does NOT have sole authority or knowledge about the Christian faith, never did and never will..it was the introduction of certain doctrines by the church in Rome that led the others to disassociate from them..

You sure know the history of the church. The church in Rome was never perfect but Rome was world power and things are bound to happen. And abstinence on good Friday is not one of the poor decisions.
Re: Why Don't Catholics Eat Meat/flesh On Good Friday? by Amhappy(f): 11:16pm On Apr 19, 2019
Kennydoc:

My point is that the Catholic Church is a far cry from what the early Church was. The early Church which Peter, Paul, James, John, Timothy, Barnabas etc belonged to was more like the present day pentecostal churches. Along the line, the early Church became terribly corrupted, a lot of compromises were made in the middle ages, several unscriptural doctrines were adopted, the most prominent of which is the reverence for Mary (which was never done by the early Church). Today, Mary is placed on the same level with Jesus Christ, by Catholics. That's why I tell you that the Catholic Church isn't the church the early saints handed over.
I agree that all other denominations stemmed from the Catholic Church, which is the reason why the Catholic Church ended up becoming Roman Catholic Church.

The early church is even more farer from the present day penticostal churches. Let's no deceive ourselves biko. Christianity if today is a far cry from how it started. It's more of an institution.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Truth About Crucifixion / My Experience As A Pastor / Buhari Plans To Install Northerner As C.A.N Leader, Group Alleges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.