Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,269 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! (688 Views)

If U Knew Things Would Turn Out Like This, Would U Have Voted Out Gej? / "I Can Turn Nigeria Around In 4 Months" : Goodluck Jonathan / Balarabe Musa: APC Will Turn Nigeria Into A One-Party State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by Onlytruth(m): 7:32am On Sep 16, 2010
Why do you think Babangida would turn Nigeria around when some believe that since he could not do it as a military leader, where he had all the power, he cannot do it in a democracy, where he can’t act alone?

At this time, Nigeria needs a man with vision, foresight and exceptional intelligence. IBB is the man. A look at the many things he did for Nigeria, at a time the total national income for a year was smaller than what the country is earning in a month now, would explain my position. He did much to improve the infrastructural development of Nigeria. Edifices like the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos; the International Conference Centre, Abuja; construction of federal housing estates nation wide, National Assembly Complex, Abuja, Presidential Villa, Abuja, as well as many other bridges and buildings, are to his credit. In fact, he built Abuja and had the foresight to relocate the federal capital to Abuja, where he developed a modern city. His road projects are too numerous to be counted. He also did much for the economy, like creating room the GSM revolution, through the establishment of the National Communication Commission. He encouraged the establishment of many banks.

He also supported the political development of the country, through a two-party system. When we had the National Republican Convention (NRC) and Social Democratic Party (SDP) everybody said that our democracy was stronger and stable. He establishment the national democratic institutes across the country. IBB strengthened security in the country, through the popular security reform he carried out. Under his reform, the NSO was divided into three divisions, the NIA, SSS and DIA. I’m sure that if IBB becomes next president of Nigeria, the issue of kidnapping, violent crimes and other vices will be a thing of the past in Nigeria.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/politics/2010/sept/15/politics-09-15-2010-003.htm
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by Onlytruth(m): 7:41am On Sep 16, 2010
I just can't shake off this feeling that IBB under VERY TOUGH oil market (under $20/barrel) did what Obasanjo couldn't do in 8 years of above $80/barrel.
Just look at IBB achievements! I just can't believe it! An edifice like the THIRD MAINLAND BRIDGE was build by IBB. Even everything that makes Abuja tick today was built by him.
Every institution of substance even INEC (was a remnant of his NEC). Nobody has made ANY improvements on IBB's achievements since he left office.
All institutions of the Federal government today from Federal road safety commission, to SSS to National defence college (he called it National war college), . .you name it, IBB did it!

Chei! Frankly I've never fully thought about these until now!  shocked shocked shocked

And he did these with oil at miserable international prices! Now imagine what he can do today with Nigeria swimming in oil money.  shocked shocked
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 16, 2010
Onlytruth:

I just can't shake off this feeling that IBB under VERY TOUGH oil market (under $20/barrel) did what Obasanjo couldn't do in 8 years of above $80/barrel.
Just look at IBB achievements! I just can't believe it! An edifice like the THIRD MAINLAND BRIDGE was build by IBB. Even everything that makes Abuja tick today was built by him.
Every institution of substance even INEC (was a remnant of his NEC). Nobody has made ANY improvements on IBB's achievements since he left office.
All institutions of the Federal government today from Federal road safety commission, to SSS to National defence college (he called it National was college), . .you name it, IBB did it!

Chei! Frankly I've never fully thought about these until now!  shocked shocked shocked

And he did these with oil at miserable international prices! Now imagine what he can do today with Nigeria swimming in oil money.  shocked shocked

He is the Best we Ever Had

that's why less intelligent people hate him soooo much
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by bkbabe97y(m): 7:51am On Sep 16, 2010
Onlytruth:

All institutions of the Federal government today from Federal road safety commission, to SSS to National defence college (he called it National was college), . .you name it, IBB did it!

^^^^ How does it feel to sink alone? How does it feel when, even your usual die hard, tribalist brothers, evade u like the leper u truly are??^^^^
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by Onlytruth(m): 8:06am On Sep 16, 2010
I'm sure that many Nigerians have never REALLY thought about IBB's achievements in terms of building institutions of governance and building Nigeria as a whole, all with VERY meager resources. Nigeria was making about $12 - $15 billion annually then. Yet he built more infrastructure than Obasanjo while Nigeria made about $80 billion annually.

[size=18pt]This Abiola thing is STEALING the future of this country. The sooner this is buried with the man the better for Nigeria.[/size]

I cannot see any candidate better than IBB in this election. The man is head and shoulder above the rest.
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by lanrefront1(m): 8:20am On Sep 16, 2010
Are you for real? Or do you just believe everyone on nairaland are un-informed?

If you want to support IBB, fine, do that. But stop regaling us takes which are actualy only true from the opposite direction.

You talk about 20 dollar per barrel for oil. Do you know that thevalue of money in the 80s maybe 100 times what it was in the 90s.

IBB single handedly destroyed the value of the naira by going to take an IMF loan which the country dieg not need.

IBB laid the foundation for the terrible situation of " bribery and corruption" that Nigeria finds itself in which has become a multi headed monster that refuses to die.

What about the gulf-war oil windfall during the Iraq and US war. What about the assassination of Dele Giwa. I could go on and on.
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 16, 2010
@Poster: How come you're the only one responding to the 'truth' you raised? Your arguement is so unintelligent. If you factor inflation through the years, made exceptionally worse by IBB, you will see that $20 in 1990 is more than $80 in 2003.

Abuja was never planned by IBB and you cant compare IBB's achievement in 8rs, being a dictator (meaning his word was law), to Fashola's in less than 4yrs.

Goodluck seems like the closest to Fashola we can get out of all the aspirants. We need a generational shift. These men have failed my generation and we need someone younger, more vibrant and with fresh ideas. IBB is expired
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by naso2(m): 8:37am On Sep 16, 2010
Onlytruth:

All institutions of the Federal government today from Federal road safety commission, to SSS to National defence college (he called it National war college), . .you name it, IBB did it!

Chei! Frankly I've never fully thought about these until now! shocked shocked shocked

And he did these with oil at miserable international prices! Now imagine what he can do today with Nigeria swimming in oil money. shocked shocked

I struggled to come to terms with this post, not necessarily because of the content , but the author(you of all people).

I found some consolation in the thinking that since you have been one of the very strong beleivers in the disintegration of this country and consequently the emergence of a biafran state, you are simply looking out for the candidate that will hasten this process. cry cry cry
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by eyanpataki: 8:39am On Sep 16, 2010
Why do you think Babangida would turn Nigeria around when some believe that since he could not do it as a military leader, where he had all the power, he cannot do it in a democracy, where he can’t act alone?

At this time, Nigeria needs a man with vision, foresight and exceptional intelligence. IBB is the man. A look at the many things he did for Nigeria, at a time the total national income for a year was smaller than what the country is earning in a month now, would explain my position. He did much to improve the infrastructural development of Nigeria. Edifices like the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos; the International Conference Centre, Abuja; construction of federal housing estates nation wide, National Assembly Complex, Abuja, Presidential Villa, Abuja, as well as many other bridges and buildings, are to his credit. In fact, he built Abuja and had the foresight to relocate the federal capital to Abuja, where he developed a modern city. His road projects are too numerous to be counted. He also did much for the economy, like creating room the GSM revolution, through the establishment of the National Communication Commission. He encouraged the establishment of many banks.

He also supported the political development of the country, through a two-party system. When we had the National Republican Convention (NRC) and Social Democratic Party (SDP) everybody said that our democracy was stronger and stable. He establishment the national democratic institutes across the country. IBB strengthened security in the country, through the popular security reform he carried out. Under his reform, the NSO was divided into three divisions, the NIA, SSS and DIA. I’m sure that if IBB becomes next president of Nigeria, the issue of kidnapping, violent crimes and other vices will be a thing of the past in Nigeria.
Thanks jo.
I now have a supporter on this platform, IBB is the man
In fact, He did not deny any allegations against him but gave unquestionable reasons for his actions
it is either IBB or a person i have never heard about, is that possible here Nigeria that runs a cyclic leadership?
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by Onlytruth(m): 8:43am On Sep 16, 2010
lanre_front:

Are you for real? Or do you just believe everyone on nairaland are un-informed?

If you want to support IBB, fine, do that. But stop regaling us takes which are actualy only true from the opposite direction.

You talk about 20 dollar per barrel for oil. Do you know that thevalue of money in the 80s maybe 100 times what it was in the 90s.

IBB single handedly destroyed the value of the naira by going to take an IMF loan which the country dieg not need.

IBB laid the foundation for the terrible situation of " bribery and corruption" that Nigeria finds itself in which has become a multi headed monster that refuses to die.

What about the gulf-war oil windfall during the Iraq and US war. What about the assassination of Dele Giwa. I could go on and on.

My friend you sound like the choir! Don't just echo things without conducting independent research. Is that all he did?

Okay list OBJs achievements. List Jonathan's achievements. List Yar adua's achievements. All of them don't add up to IBB's achievements. All of them enjoyed oil prices above $70/barrel. Oil was at about $20/barrel under IBB.
Yet he built Abuja, Third Mainland Bridge, so many federal roads, set up powerful institutions of government like NIA, DMI and SSS, National Directorate of Employment, Federal Road Safety Commission, INEC (then NEC), . . .
I can't even list all of them here!  shocked shocked
He established the rationale for a two party system. If we had followed it, we won't have PDP stealing every elections today.
Government stopped when he left office!

I'm just recalling all of these things now because the Abiola lynch mob had dominated this discourse for far too long.
You can't even say what else IBB did wrong except June 12 and some unsubstantiated Dele Giwa murder. More people were assassinated under Obasanjo BY FAR, than under IBB.

Like I keep saying, my only problem with IBB before was this fear of staying in Office for ever, but then, which Nigerian leader had not schemed to rule for ever?

That is the point. Jonathan can even scheme to rule for ever if we let him. So IBB is no different in that regard.
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by googles: 8:47am On Sep 16, 2010
ferari90:

He is the Best we Ever Had

that's why less intelligent people hate him soooo much

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

I hate that man so much. . . . . if it makes your stomach rumble so much, oga kill yourself

funny how dumb pple open their mouths to call pple "less intelligent" because they sold their votes for peanuts

IBB never contributed anything to the country wen he had the chance instead, he was killing pple, embezzling, canceled the general elections

A power-drunk tyrant. . . . .he will always be a dictator, Democracy or not.

IBB is a Goner. . . .it doesnt take intelligence to know he is finished

IBB is a capital failure nack your head against ur IBB billboard if e pain you
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by monkeyleg: 8:55am On Sep 16, 2010
This is the reason why we as a people can never move forward. As a people we cannot even agree what is best for our country. We cannot even pick a leader from 150m people.

The leaders are not the problem, we are.
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by Onlytruth(m): 8:59am On Sep 16, 2010
Summarized:

Nigeria needs a man with vision, foresight and exceptional intelligence

Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos (IBB bridge)

The International Conference Centre, Abuja

National Assembly Complex

Aso Rock presidential Villa

National Directorate of Employment (NDE)

Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC)

National Electoral Commission (NEC)

Relocate the federal capital to Abuja, where he developed a modern city (Basically the boldest action a Nigerian leader has ever taken)

Establishment of the National Communication Commission (NCC -laid foundation for Cell phone revolution)

He encouraged the establishment of many banks (People's Bank etc)

Supported the political development of the country, through a two-party system (Could have stopped PDP domination)

NSO was divided into three divisions, the NIA, SSS and DIA (Keeps Nigeria secure)

I will add to this list, 'cos there is so much more. And yes more people were assissinated under Obasanjo than under IBB. And Yes Obasanjo also wanted to become life president. All Nigerian presidents will always like to rule for ever. Duh?
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by Onlytruth(m): 9:06am On Sep 16, 2010
na_so:

I struggled to come to terms with this post, not necessarily because of the content , but the author(you of all people).

I found some consolation in the thinking that since you have been one of the very strong beleivers in the disintegration of this country and consequently the emergence of a biafran state, you are simply looking out for the candidate that will hasten this process. cry cry cry

What if I tell you that I decided to face the truth and not allow mobs to shout me down.
Nigeria WILL NOT disintegrate under IBB. In fact that is the last thing that will happen. He kept Nigerian territory of Bakassi even under SAP and austerity measure due to low oil prices. Obasanjo gave it away with oil prices at $140/barrel. It's time people start thinking for once.

This Abiola lynch mob must be stopped.
Re: Why Do You Think Babangida Would Turn Nigeria Around ? Facts! by karo93: 9:56am On Sep 16, 2010
I dont think babangida can turn Nigeria around simply because he cant.he has tried before and he did not succeed.
IBB is one candidate that we can be very sure would either leave Nigeria on stand still or take us back to the 90's.

For most aspirants we have to examine their propaganda to know if they can peform but as for IBB, his past records speak volumes.

He tried turning Nigeria around in 8yrs before and he could not,now he wants to attempt the same feat in 4yrs hoping that this time he would just get it right but Nigeria is not his experimental piece.Lets leave IBB on the list of past presidents of Nigeria who have failed us.once beaten,a million times shy and only silly people[no insult intended]would give the man IBB the chance to fail Nigeria again.

(1) (Reply)

Group Outside Nigeria Behind Blasts: President / Ibb: Why I Was Not At Eagle Square / Dora Akunyili Set To Quit Jonathan’s Cabinet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.