Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,572 members, 7,816,406 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN (11986 Views)

Forensic Audit: NDDC Sends Top Officials On Compulsory Leave / Sowore’s Release A Victory For The Rule Of Law---serap / Shehu Abdullahi: The Implications Of The NBA Rejection Of Justice Tanko As CJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by seunmsg(m): 8:58pm On Apr 20, 2019
OBAGADAFFI:

Banking, Finance and accounting has multiple specializations.

ICAN didn't cover all the nitty-gritty of Banking/Finance

For example most Banker are accountants but they must have CIBN to work on the Banking sector.

Same applies to Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers.

Banking and stock broking are different professions entirely. They are not regulated by ICAN. CIBN regulates banking professionals (not banking) in Nigeria while Chartered institute of stock brokers regulates stock broking professionals (not stock market).

Banking is a very loose profession and you don’t have to be a member of CIBN to work in a bank. So many people with diverse background work in banks without joining CIBN. However, as you grow in the industry, you must become a professional banker (member of CIBN) before you can advance to some certain positions.

Yes, Accounting has many areas of specialization but same applies to other professions like law and medicine. In medicine for example, you must qualify as a medical doctor before you can specialize as an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon. Same applies to Accounting. You must qualify as a chartered Accountant before specializing as an Auditor, tax practitioner, management accountant etc.
Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by seunmsg(m): 9:09pm On Apr 20, 2019
SaintM90:
ICAN and its members are enemies of progress!

ICAN vs ANAN
ICAN vs CITN

Yet they can't press it upon Nysc to stop posting its graduates to places where they're not fully engaged just as NMA AND COREN.....

Tueh

The fact that you studied Accounting doesn’t make you an ICAN member. After becoming an Accounting graduate, you can choose to join ANan, ICAN and so many other professional bodies.

So you see, it would be out of place for ICAN to start pushing NYSC to post Accounting graduates to core Accounting PPA. ICAN can only take responsibility for you after you qualify as a member of the institute. For example, ICAN members are automatically placed on level 10 in the federal civil service while members of other bodies like ANAN, NBA, NSE are placed on level 9. Join ICAN first before demanding for benefits from the institute.
Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by Bakeroy: 9:13pm On Apr 20, 2019
I do not know of part of greed and money, my point is that it is a good thing for Accounting as a profession. The Accounting profession is not like Medicine. Accounting is practised in every field, the more of other professionals become an Accountant the richer in knowledge Accounting becomes. For instance, if any of our Musician or Actor(ess) becomes a Chartered Accountant, we will have a better insight into the accounting of that sector.

asuustrike1:

If that is the case they should stop awarding degree in accounting since it makes no sense allowing flexibility. For you to be called a doctor you must have the basic knowledge of science before proceeding to the medical school, then you write various qualifying exams. And to those saying it took them 20 years to be chartered, it rare to see such in the medical profession. The truth is that it became flexible because of greed for money nothing more nothing less

1 Like

Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by OBAGADAFFI: 9:16pm On Apr 20, 2019
seunmsg:

Banking and stock broking are different professions entirely. They are not regulated by ICAN. CIBN regulates banking professionals (not banking) in Nigeria while Chartered institute of stock brokers regulates stock broking professionals (not stock market).

Banking is a very loose profession and you don’t have to be a member of CIBN to work in a bank. So many people with diverse background work in banks without joining CIBN. However, as you grow in the industry, you must become a professional banker (member of CIBN) before you can advance to some certain positions.

Yes, Accounting has many areas of specialization but same applies to other professions like law and medicine. In medicine for example, you must qualify as a medical doctor before you can specialize as an orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon. Same applies to Accounting. You must qualify as a chartered Accountant before specializing as an Auditor, tax practitioner, management accountant etc.

Well, Accountants, bankers and brokers are in the financial industry.

Most bankers and brokers are actually trained accountants.

But the industry regulators(banking and stock brokers), insist their members must be Chartered.

The same thing Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN) and Forensic Auditor are fighting for.
Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by seunmsg(m): 9:18pm On Apr 20, 2019
icansimi:
Why does US and UK have multiple accounting bodies??

UK has multiple Accounting bodies (not sure of US) because of some peculiar needs in their economy. However, the multiplicity of Accounting bodies in the UK doesn’t prevent members of ICAEW (the primary Accounting body) and even ACCA from practicing any aspect of Accounting. However, reverse is the case in Nigeria where specialized Accounting bodies always seek to include an exclusive clause in their act to prevent ICAN members from ever practicing that aspect of Accounting that they intend to take over. CITN is a good example.
Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by SaintM90(m): 9:49pm On Apr 20, 2019
seunmsg:
[color=#990000][/color]

The fact that you studied Accounting doesn’t make you an ICAN member. After becoming an Accounting graduate, you can choose to join ANan, ICAN and so many other professional bodies.

So you see, it would be out of place for ICAN to start pushing NYSC to post Accounting graduates to core Accounting PPA. ICAN can only take responsibility for you after you qualify as a member of the institute. For example, ICAN members are automatically placed on level 10 in the federal civil service while members of other bodies like ANAN, NBA, NSE are placed on level 9. Join ICAN first before demanding for benefits from the institute.

So my friend that graduated with me from Civil Engineering is a registered COREN member? Oga as far as you studied accounting, it behoves on them to ensure you are posted to core accounting PPA!!

[i][/i] bad energy stay far away
Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by seunmsg(m): 9:57pm On Apr 20, 2019
SaintM90:

So my friend that graduated with me from Civil Engineering is a registered COREN member? Oga as far as you studied accounting, it behoves on them to ensure you are posted to core accounting PPA!!

[i][/i] bad energy stay far away

COREN is the only professional certifying body for engineers in Nigeria. ICAN is not the only professional Accounting body in Nigeria. So, you can now see the dangers of allowing multiple Accounting bodies in the country. If ICAN is the only professional Accounting body in Nigeria, we can in all honesty demand that it should do more for Accounting graduates. But as at today, we have other bodies like ANAN and CITN. ICAN cannot be fighting for Accounting graduates who may end up joining ANAN or CITN.
Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by Nobody: 10:20pm On Apr 20, 2019
Bakeroy:
I do not know of part of greed and money, my point is that it is a good thing for Accounting as a profession. The Accounting profession is not like Medicine. Accounting is practised in every field, the more of other professionals become an Accountant the richer in knowledge Accounting becomes. For instance, if any of our Musician or Actor(ess) becomes a Chartered Accountant, we will have a better insight into the accounting of that sector.

That is what they always say at their meetings
Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by several: 11:39pm On Apr 20, 2019
seunmsg:

COREN is the only professional certifying body for engineers in Nigeria. ICAN is not the only professional Accounting body in Nigeria. So, you can now see the dangers of allowing multiple Accounting bodies in the country. If ICAN is the only professional Accounting body in Nigeria, we can in all honesty demand that it should do more for Accounting graduates. But as at today, we have other bodies like ANAN and CITN. ICAN cannot be fighting for Accounting graduates who may end up joining ANAN or CITN.
Oga why you dey talk with both mouth,why shot yourself in the leg trying to defend the obviously indefensible. the inability of ICAN to make it mandatory or at least fight for Accounting graduate to be posted to place of relevance during the NYSC scheme is never because of the multiplicity of the Accounting professional bodies but because all graduates irrespective of their discipline are potential members.
So it becomes difficult to fight for all corp members to be posted to place of relevance. Also I guess you are already well placed that is why you are defending ICAN this much. you need to see the plight of qualified accountants who are being molested, overworked and underpaid in the private sector, Chartered accountants being offered 30k or 40k monthly pay and worst off you see big wigs of ICAN heading such organisation. What is ICAN doing about the welfare and pay package of it members other than milking them of the little they earn in name of subscriptions.
Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by adedayoa2(f): 5:30am On Apr 21, 2019
seunmsg:

I beg to disagree, this only apply in OAuGF, and some few places. I have friends in NTA and other places that were placed on 10 just like their ICAN colleagues.
Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by seunmsg(m): 7:14am On Apr 21, 2019
adedayoa2:
I beg to disagree, this only apply in OAuGF, and some few places. I have friends in NTA and other places that were placed on 10 just like their ICAN colleagues.

It doesn’t apply only in OAuGF. It applies service wide in the federal civil service. NTA and some other agencies don’t use the kind of grade level structure that is applicable in the core civil service. So, level 10 in NTA is not level 10 in the core civil service.
Re: Rejection Of Forensic Audit Bill Is A Victory For Professionalism, Says ICAN by FlutterDollar99(m): 12:38pm On Apr 24, 2019
ednut1:
wrong all grin
be gender specific.... Last time, the argument was that there are more than two genders lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi State Commissions 36,000MT/Y Rice Milling Plant / Nigerian Army Approves Hotlines For Operation Safe Conduct. / Prayer Session Led By Governor Ganduje Held For Buhari Quick Recovery (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.