Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice (1265 Views)

Please Programmers In The House,what Are The Benefits Of Programming / For Programmers In Universities: How Are You Exploiting The ASUU Strike? / See Money Making Programmers In Nairalans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by Bismark009: 12:52pm On Apr 21, 2019
Hello house, i have been learning java at one networking, web housing and fibre optics company at ikeja. A software programmer is training me, though he is not working for the company just a freelance java & PHP programmer.
He has been training me on java programming for 3 weeks now, its a 3 - month course.
I love it so much and i am learning a great deal, i have learn much about, Java oops, Constructors in java, Java static keyword, Java inheritance, right now i am learning Method overriding.
I met someone who told me that java is outdated that i am wasting my time, that i should learn JavaScript, C# Css or Html.
Please house advise me, am i wasting my time?
I checked the top 10 most used programming in the world and Java is still among 10 3.
Re: Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by Olalekank(m): 2:31pm On Apr 21, 2019
Do NOT stop learning

Makes sure to finish the course and build projects with Java

You can use java for many things these days and even if it eventually fades out, which has a very low chance, then the knowledge you've built would GREATLY help in picking up another programming language.

You can use it for mobile, web, desktop apps, etc

1 Like

Re: Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by makavele: 4:25pm On Apr 21, 2019
Nothing is really dead; even if it is buried.

Scientists at NASA still use ADA and floppy disks till tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by Nobody: 4:37pm On Apr 21, 2019
Java is going no where, hold that. Java is still part of android studio along kotlin. Many big companies in the world still use java. Please, dont be disturbed with what people say about java. Many ran away from java because of it verbosity. I'm a java developer too. I major in android development. Learn java very well and be furious in it. Learn javafx for desktop applications too.

1 Like

Re: Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by etoluw: 10:40pm On Apr 21, 2019
if your intention is to build android apps then you can continue

but if your interest is in web design/web development you should learn html, css, javascript and PHP

1 Like

Re: Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by BabaAlabi: 3:53pm On Apr 23, 2019
Let me give you the best advice I wish someone had given me on time. Learning to code is like learning to read using one book. If you can read that one book well, with a dictionary by your side, you can read any book.

If you can learn how to write java codes, html and python should be a piece of cake.
The ideal way to start coding for me would be html, javascript and python. After that, learning other languages should be easy.

So for me, keep up with the java and learn html using udacity.com during your free time and in 6 months you will be here helping new programmers.
Re: Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by asalimpo(m): 5:22pm On Apr 23, 2019
etoluw:
if your intention is to build android apps then you can continue

but if your interest is in web design/web development you should learn html, css, javascript and PHP
He can use Java too for web dev (Java EE). It's not just so popular. But Java Web devs command more. Java is simply regarded as a more mature advanced language than PHP,perl,python,ruby. It's a big boy language. It's match are scala and closure but not Python and co. But with Oracle charging for Java ... Future looks cloudy.
Re: Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by asalimpo(m): 5:25pm On Apr 23, 2019
Bismark009:
Hello house, i have been learning java at one networking, web housing and fibre optics company at ikeja. A software programmer is training me, though he is not working for the company just a[b] freelance java [/b]& PHP programmer.
He has been training me on java programming for 3 weeks now, its a 3 - month course.
I love it so much and i am learning a great deal, i have learn much about, Java oops, Constructors in java, Java static keyword, Java inheritance, right now i am learning Method overriding.
I met someone who told me that java is outdated that i am wasting my time, that i should learn JavaScript, C# Css or Html.
Please house advise me, am i wasting my time?
I checked the top 10 most used programming in the world and Java is still among 10 3.

The keyword in your rant is FREELANCE. the dude teaching you is making money using Java so what are you confused about when some1 is making bank with it?
Re: Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by airsaylongcon: 11:56am On Apr 26, 2019
asalimpo:

He can use Java too for web dev (Java EE). It's not just so popular. But Java Web devs command more. Java is simply regarded as a more mature advanced language than PHP,perl,python,ruby. It's a big boy language. It's match are scala and closure but not Python and co. But with Oracle charging for Java ... Future looks cloudy.

With OpenJDK doesn't that keep java still available for the foreseeable future?
Re: Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by asalimpo(m): 7:47pm On Apr 28, 2019
airsaylongcon:

With OpenJDK doesn't that keep java still available for the foreseeable future?
Without commercial backing open source technologies begin a slow descent. Perl, haskell, ocaml,lisp are niche cuz of no serious enterprise backing not because they're aren't excellent Languages. Open jdk will always lag behind Oracle jdk which drive more quality conscious enterprises into adopting Oracle jdk and oiling Oracle's palms. Java is dead. I'd advice any1 to consider c# or Python or at worst a JVM lang. Oracle has hamstrung d language.
Re: Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by airsaylongcon: 6:30am On Apr 29, 2019
asalimpo:

Without commercial backing open source technologies begin a slow descent. Perl, haskell, ocaml,lisp are niche cuz of no serious enterprise backing not because they're aren't excellent Languages. Open jdk will always lag behind Oracle jdk which drive more quality conscious enterprises into adopting Oracle jdk and oiling Oracle's palms. Java is dead. I'd advice any1 to consider c# or Python or at worst a JVM lang. Oracle has hamstrung d language.

I dunno if I agree with your assertions. Oracle took over MySQL and even if they plan on killing it, MariaDB as a fork is thriving and doing great. I forsee OpenJDK going the route of MariaDB or a formidable fork of Java arising. I don't think Java is dead. Not Yet. Not with its widespread use compared to the very niche use cases of the functional programming languages you mentioned.
Re: Programmers In The House, Please I Need Your Advice by asalimpo(m): 7:52pm On Apr 29, 2019
airsaylongcon:

I dunno if I agree with your assertions. Oracle took over MySQL and even if they plan on killing it, MariaDB as a fork is thriving and doing great. I forsee OpenJDK going the route of MariaDB or a formidable fork of Java arising. I don't think Java is dead. Not Yet. Not with its widespread use compared to the very niche use cases of the functional programming languages you mentioned.
Oracle decided to charge for Java because revenue from their MySQL license was falling off,according to outside sources. But java had already been taking flak as being a bit out of touch, verbose,needlessly complex . Many advocates were advocating newer younger competitors, then Oracle did this . Java won't die out totally but new programmers won't adopt it and older ones will pickup alternatives as backup. Kotlin is already competing in d mobile space. I think Oracle screwed up royally. If ms open sourced c# and more of it's stack,java will b forever niche. I'm a java fanboy but c# is better designed and technically superior to java.
We'll just have to wait nd see.

(1) (Reply)

HTML/CSS Design / Node VS Python - What's the Best Backend Tech for Beginner & Intermediate Devs? / Programming In Ms Visual C++ And C++.net Does It Make Me Ms Mrs?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.