Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,279 members, 7,815,472 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? (12865 Views)

Law: Rule Of Law Under Contemporary Period / Can I Complete This Cousera Programme Using One Payment? / Man Graduates With 4.0CGPA In Masters In USA After Being Mocked By Dad's Friend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 7:59am On May 04, 2019
FriDshiple:
If you are interested in studying Energy Law for your Masters, then you should check CENTER FOR PETROLEUM ENERGY ECONOMICS AND LAW (CPEEL), University of Ibadan. Trust me you will finish in exactly a year and six months

I know of that programme .please have an idea on the cost? There is also a similar one ran by body like that in abuja in affiliation with uni port
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by nopretense: 7:59am On May 04, 2019
Betterchoice:
I have been in dilemma since finishing NYSC last year.

I feel impelled to further education and can raise circa 3m naira.

I don't know if one can conclude an LLM (ie Masters in Law) in any Nigerian University under 18 months.

I feel like starting from there since I have been indecisive about Canadian Emigration.

Thank you!

Cc highered

In The University of Ibadan, it takes 18 months to complete a Masters degree program.
The registration starts around June each year.

Kindly contact the school or visit www.ui.edu.ng for more info...
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Venerable612(m): 8:02am On May 04, 2019
Mustsucceed:

This is one of the reasons I wonder y lawyers even bother to do masters .sometimes I feel they don't need it and should just do masters in other degrees that will benefit them.law is all about knowledge and experience this knowledge comes from books which no matter how many masters u have u must continue reading and updating by going for seminars,conferences.

Its only Nigeria that takes masters as a big deal other countries place experiences above masters

I think you are right. The biggest lawyers in Nigeria are those doing Election Tribunals and Constitutional Law disputes. And you don’t get taught how to ace election petition or constitutional disputes in masters. It comes with reading Nd experience.

Buh for Corporate and Commercial practice - Masters may be necessary - most organisations recruit based on credentials - and experience come with practice.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 8:05am On May 04, 2019
Venerable612:

I think you are right. The biggest lawyers in Nigeria are those doing Election Tribunals and Constitutional Law disputes. And you don’t get taught how to ace election petition or constitutional disputes in masters. It comes with reading Nd experience.

Buh for Corporate and Commercial practice - Masters may be necessary - most organisations recruit based on credentials - and experience come with practice.

Experience yes does come with practice ...and dedication .you are right on the corporate law aspect .All adverts always come with have masters in equivalent course .really annoying .Must a lawyers have llm sef? What other masters do you feel a lawyer will benefit from .I know of some lawyers with MBA
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 8:10am On May 04, 2019
Betterchoice:
I have been in dilemma since finishing NYSC last year.

I feel impelled to further education and can raise circa 3m naira.

I don't know if one can conclude an LLM (ie Masters in Law) in any Nigerian University under 18 months.

I feel like starting from there since I have been indecisive about Canadian Emigration.

Thank you!

Cc highered

No trust me e go enter 4 years like mine. I began my Masters at Unilag since 2016 and we haven't finished project, not to talk of defending. Am even hearing, we are to collecr certificate in 2020. Please go abroad if you must do MSC within 18 months.
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 8:12am On May 04, 2019
Xlyad:
UNILAG should be okay
Unilag ke?? You better run. Ohh is it because you are hearing First choice university, that university na last choice. In short it is a scam. They are just popular.
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 8:15am On May 04, 2019
Christeety:

Yes but it depends on the dept.

I did my masters last year February and my set graduated this January.

We had delay in my dept, and the strike affected us hence our list couldn't meet up with the graduating list.

But I'm officially done. All less than a year
What dept and what year did you start and what year dod you finish? Was it fulltime or part-time?
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by SeunOlat: 8:27am On May 04, 2019
OWN and USE your very own mobile APP on Google Play Store to BOOST your Business.

Your Business would be live on Google Play Store.

IMAGINE the VALUE this would add to your Business.
Call 08142805400
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by tizzdi(m): 8:31am On May 04, 2019
ednut1:
a law degree is when assesed with iqas is a masters degree equivalent. So what d hell is he trying to gain again
ok then i dont see any reason for d masters..take d leap OP
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Ajibaba101(m): 8:39am On May 04, 2019
Before you start saying school na scam...see reasons you need to have a good GPA
https://explicitsuccess.com/what-is-a-good-gpa-for-university/
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by folake4u(f): 8:50am On May 04, 2019
Venerable612:

Tbh... I doubt IP LLM is a stand-alone masters in any University in Nigeria. It may, however, be taught as a module in a Commercial And Corporate Law LLM, if there is anything like that in the Schools, but you probably might have to research into each Uni’s Masters program.

But Yh that choice makes a whole lot of sense - the market for IP in Nigeria is quite fresh - not so many big IP disputes that I know of, but regulatory compliance are still a big deal.

If you are considering travelling - Uni of Manchester is quite a good school for IP LLM. Hope that helps

Thank you very much. I asked around and it's not available as a 'stand alone Masters' in Nigeria.

Yes, I'm contemplating overseas as I'd love to major in IP Law and Health Law. Thanks a bunch smiley.
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by AlphaT1(m): 9:00am On May 04, 2019
1000angstroms:

When you write all these for people who go to school to learn how to write it, what does your conscience tell you the person you wrote it for will turn out to be?
Bros it will surprise you to know that some of these project writers work hand-in-hand with some professors/lecturers. A professor frustrated my cousin until she had no choice than to patronize them. Her fellow coallegues under d same supervisor were not having any issues at all, so when she asked them how they were doing it they gave her a number of the 'project writer' who was linked to the professor i.e the professor himself will recommend him to you and if you think otherwise, you don dig ur grave be dat!
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Venerable612(m): 9:17am On May 04, 2019
folake4u:

Thank you very much. I asked around and it's not available as a 'stand alone Masters' in Nigeria.

Yes, I'm contemplating overseas as I'd love to major in IP Law and Health Law. Thanks a bunch smiley.

Hmmm. Okay.

All the best dear

1 Like

Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by abimbola74(m): 9:19am On May 04, 2019
Abimbola007:
Considering quality and very fast Master degree, Unilorin is the answer.
All Master programmes are under 18 months
Means one can finish within a year ?
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by AdeMoss: 9:21am On May 04, 2019
I will say UNILAG because I don't know which other university with the number of SAN as lecturers. As far as ASUU strike is concerned, the Lawyers are not bothered.

1 Like

Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by folake4u(f): 9:21am On May 04, 2019
Venerable612:

Hmmm. Okay.
All the best dear

Thank you too smiley
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Venerable612(m): 9:28am On May 04, 2019
Mustsucceed:

Experience yes does come with practice ...and dedication .you are right on the corporate law aspect .All adverts always come with have masters in equivalent course .really annoying .Must a lawyers have llm sef? What other masters do you feel a lawyer will benefit from .I know of some lawyers with MBA

Tbh with you, there is no hard and fast rule about it.

A masters degree should ideally be for more hands-on knowledge of a chosen career path. Like people who wants to work in the UN humanitarian organisation now - would do well to study International Human Rights Masters...Etc.

But lots of people just do masters for doing sake - perhaps with the believe that any masters degree should get you ahead of the competition.

So basically - it depends on your area of practice. MBA, e.g., is good for lawyers that one to run their own thing - like your personal business or law firm. Or perhaps you want to go into executive positions in banks and corporate organisations. But most MBAs, abroad though, require at least 2 years work experience so it may not be good for someone who is freshly out of Law School/NYSC.

I think Lawyers can benefit from considering emerging market opportunities before taking up any masters degree. There is a lot of tech stuff going on now - so a lawyer with MsC in Law and Technology can really do well and carve a niche for himself.

Masters in Corporate Finance Law is also very good - capital market is an open field to make lots of money. Masters in Oil and Gas and Renewable energy is also very good in Nigeria - with both fields gradually coming up.

A lawyer should not also belittle recognised certifications - like the arbitration stuffs - lots of money to be made there, even after retirement. But these stuffs are also good if the lawyer has strong specialty in a field, say Oil and Gas LLM.

Tbh - traditional legal practice is not just enough to excel now.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 9:56am On May 04, 2019
Venerable612:

Tbh with you, there is no hard and fast rule about it.

A masters degree should ideally be for more hands-on knowledge of a chosen career path. Like people who wants to work in the UN humanitarian organisation now - would do well to study International Human Rights Masters...Etc.

But lots of people just do masters for doing sake - perhaps with the believe that any masters degree should get you ahead of the competition.

So basically - it depends on your area of practice. MBA, e.g., is good for lawyers that one to run their own thing - like your personal business or law firm. Or perhaps you want to go into executive positions in banks and corporate organisations. But most MBAs, abroad though, require at least 2 years work experience so it may not be good for someone who is freshly out of Law School/NYSC.

I think Lawyers can benefit from considering emerging market opportunities before taking up any masters degree. There is a lot of tech stuff going on now - so a lawyer with MsC in Law and Technology can really do well and carve a niche for himself.

Masters in Corporate Finance Law is also very good - capital market is an open field to make lots of money. Masters in Oil and Gas and Renewable energy is also very good in Nigeria - with both fields gradually coming up.

A lawyer should not also belittle recognised certifications - like the arbitration stuffs - lots of money to be made there, even after retirement. But these stuffs are also good if the lawyer has strong specialty in a field, say Oil and Gas LLM.

Tbh - traditional legal practice is not just enough to excel now.

Would have wanted to chat with you one on one but not to be selfish I know any are reading and learning from out back and forth so will just ask questions openly .
Oil and gas is a good one but my issue is so far,its Ibadan that runs a fantastic one on it the other one is a body that does it in affiliation with uni port or so on Abuja.security situation in country doesn't afford us luxury of moving about ,economical factor also comes into play should one decide to be flying in and out
Options in Nigeria are limited ..corporate finance law ? Where for Nigeria ?
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 10:13am On May 04, 2019
koonbey:

All.
Are you sure?
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Betterchoice: 10:33am On May 04, 2019
Spygadgets19:
No trust me e go enter 4 years like mine. I began my Masters at Unilag since 2016 and we haven't finished project, not to talk of defending. Am even hearing, we are to collecr certificate in 2020. Please go abroad if you must do MSC within 18 months.

Where was the issue from?

Supervisor?

You?

Department?

Faculty?

1 Like

Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Olurinade10(m): 11:03am On May 04, 2019
Unilorin we know
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by IME1: 11:22am On May 04, 2019
Welrez:
What is wrong with doing postgraduate at a private university in Nigeria? Please, enlighten a brother.

MOST pri uni are not accredited for PG
To get accreditation for PG
There are stringent requirements
Even where they use ogboju to get accreditation
You have to wonder on the competence of the staff to supervise and teach

A great pub uni did not admit the yr I wanted to further they did not have required supervisors
And that is a great pub uni

Pri uni only guaranty u speed because of d pay u will pay, and trust me, u will pay!

PG is a higher level and academic acquisition than under grad
While a first degree holder (2.1 or 1st class) can teach at under grad level both pri and pub unis
A phd holder or master degree holder with some years experience must teach and supervise at the PG level.

Igbinedion uni which is d 1st pri uni is marking 20 years and using that to reason d other pri uni u will know that they are not fully ready (I doubt if there is a lecturer in Igbinedion uni who has been there for the 20 yrs). Funny thing is that I know a number of lecturers that got their PG degrees from some pri uni

Mind you I hear great things about Covenant and AUN but me oh, I doubt if I can go to a pri uni for PG I'd rather go abroad.

Just my view

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by IME1: 11:23am On May 04, 2019
asuustrike1:

Why aren't their fees similar to what they pay overseas?

Pls read my reply above

Its just my view
I'm speaking from 1st hand experience
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 11:45am On May 04, 2019
IME1:

Pls read my reply above

Its just my view
I'm speaking from 1st hand experience
Explain further there must be a reason
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 04, 2019
MOST pri uni are not accredited for PG
To get accreditation for PG
There are stringent requirements
Even where they use ogboju to get accreditation
You have to wonder on the competence of the staff to supervise and teach
Yes many private universities are not accredited for pg but public universities aren't exempted either infact many departments over there should ban from admitting pg students.

A great pub uni did not admit the yr I wanted to further they did not have required supervisors
And that is a great pub uni
A great public university circumvent pg rules just to generate revenue from pg students. They keep on admitting yet the number of graduates are few. However it is rare to see such in many private universities that is why many are opting for them.

PG is a higher level and academic acquisition than under grad
While a first degree holder (2.1 or 1st class) can teach at under grad level both pri and pub unis
[b]A phd holder or master degree holder with some years experience must teach and supervise at the PG leve[/b]l
How does the bolded relate? An m.sc holder with some years of experience can't supervise m.sc students in many universities including private universities.

Igbinedion uni which is d 1st pri uni is marking 20 years and using that to reason d other pri uni u will know that they are not fully ready (I doubt if there is a lecturer in Igbinedion uni who has been there for the 20 yrs). Funny thing is that I know a number of lecturers that got their PG degrees from some pri uni

Mind you I hear great things about Covenant and AUN but me oh, I doubt if I can go to a pri uni for PG I'd rather go abroad.
Igbinedion university aren't serious from day one. It cost more to travel abroad to do postgraduate degree even though it worth it. Although these are you views however some of your assertions are not totally correct.
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 04, 2019
1000angstroms:

When you write all these for people who go to school to learn how to write it, what does your conscience tell you the person you wrote it for will turn out to be?
He is a business man so let him be
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 04, 2019
AlphaT1:

Bros it will surprise you to know that some of these project writers work hand-in-hand with some professors/lecturers. A professor frustrated my cousin until she had no choice than to patronize them. Her fellow coallegues under d same supervisor were not having any issues at all, so when she asked them how they were doing it they gave her a number of the 'project writer' who was linked to the professor i.e the professor himself will recommend him to you and if you think otherwise, you don dig ur grave be dat!
You are correct
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 12:17pm On May 04, 2019
nopretense:

In The University of Ibadan, it takes 18 months to complete a Masters degree program.
The registration starts around June each year.

Kindly contact the school or visit www.ui.edu.ng for more info...
Are you sure? Some department may have issues
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Xlyad(m): 1:07pm On May 04, 2019
Spygadgets19:
Unilag ke?? You better run. Ohh is it because you are hearing First choice university, that university na last choice. In short it is a scam. They are just popular.
I can't speak for all departments but I did an MSc there in less than a year - about 10 months
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by adaweezy(m): 1:50pm On May 04, 2019
folake4u:

I obtained my LLM in Intellectual Property but not from Nigeria.
Re: Can I Complete Masters In Law Under 18 Months In A Nigerian Uni? by Nobody: 1:52pm On May 04, 2019
Xlyad:
I can't speak for all departments but I did an MSc there in less than a year - about 10 months
when did you graduate and collect certificate? Was it exactly at the 10th month.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASG Frowns At Non-Compliance With Academic Calendar By Some Schools / Niger State Polytechnic ASSUP Vows To Continue Strike / 53% Foreign-schooled Doctors Fail Induction Tests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.