Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,898 members, 7,834,982 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai (36398 Views)

Danfo Driver Almost Strip Bribe-Seeking Policeman Unclad During A Fight In Lagos / Bribe-seeking Policeman Forced To Sit On The Ground After Being Arrested. Photo / Two Bribe-seeking Policemen Crushed To Death By A Truck In Delta State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by SUCCEED001(m): 6:42am On Apr 25, 2019
molybdenum0012:
This thing is simple: people should learn to say NO regardless of the implication. But my Naija people will say just give am so he will not delay us.

Let us all learn to do things the right way.

Its very good to do things the right way but its seems so alien in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by tojahh(m): 7:24am On Apr 25, 2019
My first travel.

At checking

NIS: How much do you have with you as BTA
Me: $800

NIS: Please let me see for counting.
Me: Counted it in his presense One by One. And shout while doing it.

NIS: I said I want to count it.
Me: I just did.

NIS: step aside, I've seen you dont wanna travel
Me: I'm not stepping nowhere till you stamp me

NIS: Let me have the money.
Me: Here you go. (Counted and said okay, your BTA is short $200, it's supposed to be $1000)

Me: Oga if I get $1,000, you no go see me here.
NIS: Oya find $100 for us, else na flight for you.

Me: Okay, give me receipt of payment.
NIS: Jaw dropped. Receipt? Shey wa OK sha?

Me: Mo WA OK dada. Just give me receipt to show my father I paid $100 at the airport for checking so he could refund me back. Simple.

NIS: Okay no disturb your Dad about it. Just find us something. Make we take drink water.
Me: Right Now, I don't move with any cash unless the $800 which must have a receipt for anything bought.

NIS: Take, bye bye.
Me: Alaye, me sef na street Ò.

Sometimes I wonder how these people sleep at night. They make each a hundred thousand Naira almost every day! From bribe to begging to coercion to swindlig!
DON'T GIVE BRIBE! DON'T ENCOURAGE IT!

9 Likes

Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by beermoney: 7:32am On Apr 25, 2019
iammo:
smiley

This mostly affect first time travellers, the moment they see a virgin passport ahh! You must pay or risk airline flight reschedule penalty fine tongue especially if you are abit young and unacompanied.

Subsequent travels they ussualy beg and hail you for money

Your head dey game.u sabi dem Wella wella
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Bighead9: 7:51am On Apr 25, 2019
MEGAWATCH:

Block head. What is the meaning of fighting corruption? I guess to you it only means going after politicians alone?

How many Corruption have fought, Do you think it's only the Government that fight Corruption?

Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by amb962(m): 7:57am On Apr 25, 2019
If you dont drop anything nothing will happen. my first time of leaving Nigeria, the immigration officer was asking me how did i get the money to travel and did i tell my boss that am traveling. Am sure if you guys were at the airport that day you all would have heard me shouting at him on top of my voice. he ran away and left me there. till i boarded no body near me. when i came back sef i dey harrass dem.

When my sister too was traveling to canada for school, i briefed her about the whole thing at the airport and drove her six hours to to departure, Trust igbo girl, she did not bulge one bit. na dem tire leave her alone.
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by handsomeyitayo(m): 8:09am On Apr 25, 2019
ogbonti:

Exactly, almost 20 year's ago, a friend of mine was travelling to Dubai on a Virgin passport. The mistake he made was that his Kenyan Airways flight was 4pm

If he had known, he should have gone to the gate at about 230pm when others are going, this my man went there at 11.30am and he was asked by one of the Immigration guys to give $50. My guy was just fresh from completing NYSC and all the money he said he had was £200 as he was going to see his Brother who lives in Dubai, to see how to hussle. Cut a long story short, the Immigration officer told him if he fails to give them the money (because they must have seen it when his box went thru the scanner) that he will write a memo for his box to be re-checked, and when that is done, he will rewrite a report that he found Drugs in his box, and that only my friend, and God and himself (the immigration officer) will know my friend is innocent as he has all it takes to bring up a false evidence of drugs against my friend

Paddy was overwhelemed, and he gave him £50, and when he got to Dubai, he discovered that the immigration man had already stolen £50 from the box, (without my friend's knowledge) before collecting £50 from him total £100.

THIS WAS ALMOST 20 YEARS AGO, and this nonsense is still going on in Nigeria Airport?

Fast fwd, 2007, I was visiting Nigeria from the USA, I transited in Amsterdam. A young Nigerian chap joined the plane in Amsterdam on our way to Lagos. On getting to Lagos, I saw him put €20 in between his passport as he was about to be stamped in. I shook my head, and told myself, THIS BOY IS LOOKING FOR TROUBLE
And yes he was in trouble. They don't even ask me nothing because my mouth is loaded to give enough insult to them

Do u know I checked out my boxes, this boy had just one box, but the immigration officers won't let him go, all of them were ragging, him, holding on to his passport, trying to remove all the currency on him, I felt so sorry for the boy, but hey, I can't go and speak for him, else it would be a case of "who send u, u no give us, u no go let us chop from someone else?"

This is the reason I blank those mofos, each time I come home, even if I have $100 million on me, I won't give anyone 1 kobo in that MM Airport ..... useless pipo
bigbro nah wah for Nigerian immigration..
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Nobody: 8:47am On Apr 25, 2019
Egombute:
Pls what is BTA and how much is d minimum and maximum amount according to Nigerian laws?
To put it simply, BTA is cash money you are meant to have on you while travelling, There are no maximum or minimum, Except if it's like Thousands/millions of Naira or thousands/millions of Any foreign currencies, then you must declare them. Infact. you don't have to have any BTA. It's Not a legal requirement, but it would be good for you to have some cash for food, Hotel or taxi when you get to the country of your destination, your destination immigrations May Ask you about BTA too. it has nothing to do with Nigerian immigration Infact. it is more important at your destination.

I hope i made sense grin

1 Like

Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Nobody: 8:56am On Apr 25, 2019
oruma19:
THE FIRST TIME I WAS TRAVELLING, IT WAS FROM ABUJA AIRPORT, THE IMMIGRATION GUY SAW MY VIRGIN PASSPORT AND INSISTED I GAVE HIM MONEY, I TOLD HIM I DIDN'T HAVE MONEY SO I GAVE HIM 200 NAIRA. HE GOT ANGRY AND THREW THE MONEY ON THE FLOOR, I JEJELY PICKED MY MONEY AND PUT INSIDE MY POCKET..AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. NOW IF I AM TRAVELLING, THEY BEG ME FOR MONEY AND I TELL THEM I AM GOING TO HUSTLE, THEY SHOULD WAIT TILL I RETURN. WHEN I RETURN I TELL THEM I AM JUST COMING INTO NAIJA, THEY SHOULD ALLOW ME WITHDRAW MONEY FIRST SINCE I DON'T RECEIVE CASH AS SALARY, IT IS PAID INTO MY ACCOUNT...AHAHAHAHAHAHAH. NO NEED TO QUAREL, JUST KEEP POSTING AND PROMISING THE BEGGARS IN OUR AIRPORTS. USELESS NIGERIANS. "OGA UR BOY LOYAL O", THAT IS WHAT U KEEP HEARING EVEN AT THE TOILETS IN NIGERIAN AIRPORTS. THE COUNTRY IS CURSED WITH BAD PEOPLE
seriously, The toilet cleaners begging was Really Embarrassing, it was my first time in Nigeria. they even followed me inside the toilet. out of Embarrassment and sympathy i think i gave the woman a £20 note. she followed me into the toilet while holding her 3 years old baby. it made me cringe. : embarassed I couldn't urinate with her standing there with the baby.
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Martin0(m): 8:58am On Apr 25, 2019
gypsey:
To put it simply, BTA is cash money you are meant to have on you while travelling, There is no maximum or minimum, Infact. you don't have to have any BTA. It's Not a legal requirement, but it would be good for you to have some cash for food or taxi when you get to the country of your destination, your destination immigrations will Ask you about BTA too. it has nothing to do with Nigerian immigration Infact. it is more important at your destination.

I hope i made sense grin

I pity any rubbish officer that will try that on me, Na beta Punch I go give amgrin
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 25, 2019
eaglechild:
Whenever I'm traveling and an immigration officer asks me for money.
I look straight into the person's eye and tell him that I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY FOR YOU.
And I say it out in a loud voice. That is a clear warning shot of potential trouble. They usually hand over my passport very quickly.
grin grin grin grin mad man!!
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Nobody: 9:03am On Apr 25, 2019
revolt:
They've never stopped me sha..I think ot depends on how you answer them.
Absolutely! Never stopped me either.
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Nobody: 9:05am On Apr 25, 2019
Bighead9:

Go to the Presidency or locate your National Assembly member, to lay your complain. Stop hidden under your keyboard to type trash.
Exactly! but He is a coward, he is only brave from behind his cheap phone grin
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Nobody: 9:07am On Apr 25, 2019
Afonja007:
I will never give any body at Nigerian airport shishi if they are not ready to work let them resign ,come to Europe air port and see how they welcome their citizen's coming back from foreign land ,in Nigeria airport once you land come and see jealousnes they will be looking at you like they gave You money to hold for them ,may God punish all of them angry angry
grin grin grin Mad man!
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Nobody: 9:10am On Apr 25, 2019
Martin0:

I pity any rubbish officer that will try that on me, Na beta Punch I go give amgrin
Yea! Right. dem go delay your flight and you miss your first time flight to Germany or America? wey you struggle and suffer get de visa?
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Martin0(m): 9:20am On Apr 25, 2019
gypsey:
Yea! Right. dem go delay your flight and you miss your first time flight to Germany or America? wey you struggle and suffer get de visa?

him and his village people go collect strong punch from me that day I sweargrin anyway I dey go guinea for August oogrin
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Bighead9: 9:20am On Apr 25, 2019
gypsey:
Exactly! but He is a coward, he is only brave from behind his cheap phone grin

You are a patriot, God bless you. grin

Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by fermlad: 9:21am On Apr 25, 2019
A very interesting and informative thread i must confess. Thanks to all the contributors..����
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Yampotatocarrot(m): 9:41am On Apr 25, 2019
gypsey:

From your comment up there, u stated that "It was my first time in Nigeria", implying that you probably ain't a Nigerian or your first flight wasnt from a Nigerian airport.

And here, u r stating this. Is it that u are just restating some of the comments here or do u actually believe this your comment that I quoted?

For someone " janded", it sounds absurd fa
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Oluwo1: 10:00am On Apr 25, 2019
grandstar:
And Buhari has done zero about this?

To end this garbage simply needs a sting operation. By the time it is done a couple of times, the immigration will grow sense.

For a man who claims to be fighting corruption, this is a disgrace.

What yardsticks is he using to measure if his anti corruption war is working or is he just using ordinary measuring tape?

I think we have to learn to blame the right authorities for issues like this and not the presidency. The Nigerian Immigration ought to have an investigation team that's suppose to look into this and not the presidency. In other country it's not the president that'll go to the boarder or airport to arrest or investigate corrupt immigration officers. As much as I know the president is useless, this is not part of his direct duties abeg
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by grandstar(m): 10:37am On Apr 25, 2019
Oluwo1:

I think we have to learn to blame the right authorities for issues like this and not the presidency. The Nigerian Immigration ought to have an investigation team that's suppose to look into this and not the presidency. In other country it's not the president that'll go to the boarder or airport to arrest or investigate corrupt immigration officers. As much as I know the president is useless, this is not part of his direct duties abeg

The bucks stops at the president's door.

There are best practices that are followed to prevent these lapses or to punish them when they happen. You don't have to be everywhere before action is taken.
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Ugosample(m): 11:29am On Apr 25, 2019
musicwriter:
The Nigerian immigration is harassing people traveling from Seme to Mile 2. Nobody is spared- both citizens and foreigners. Citizens pay a bribe of any where from N500 to N1,000 for using the road. Foreigners pay as high as N5,000. They do this every minute of the day 24/7. It looks like part of their job is to let foreigners know that Nigeria is a very corrupt country.

a very corrupt country indeed

Nigerian people dey fvck up
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 25, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

From your comment up there, u stated that "It was my first time in Nigeria", implying that you probably ain't a Nigerian or your first flight wasnt from a Nigerian airport.

And here, u r stating this. Is it that u are just restating some of the comments here or do u actually believe this your comment that I quoted?

For someone " janded", it sounds absurd fa
Thank you! grin just because i was born in england doesn't mean i can not understand pidgin or i don't know the situations in Nigeria, i was quoting my friend who it was his first time of travelling out of Nigeria, and i made that comment responding to his comment.
I was been sarcastic and mocking him.
And my parents are also nigerians (IGBOs) i visit Nigeria atleast twice a year. So trust me, i know more stuff about Nigerians than some nigerians, besides I am always here on Nairaland to learn more about Nigeria and there never cease to be stories about nigerians and nigeria on here. It is what it is, NAIRALAND! And some people on here have met me personally in one of my visits to Nigeria like my friend Martin0..Comprende?! grin
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by okewumi: 1:45pm On Apr 25, 2019
NAWA OOOOO.

Who will deliver us?

Is democracy a curse to black race?

Military regime is not as bad as this. You try this nonsense and the following day, they lock you up. they need to lock this immigration folks up.

it is high time we introduce camera in our wrist watch and shirt buttons. When we record and upload it online, government will surely use two or three as scape goat, the nonsense has to stop.

Even local flight is another wahala when you want to clear your checked-in luggage.
They will start smiling at you like fried monkey.
Oga, anything for boys to spend this weekend?
'

I am just speechless.
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Martin0(m): 2:59pm On Apr 25, 2019
gypsey:
Thank you! grin just because i was born in england doesn't mean i can not understand pidgin or i don't know the situations in Nigeria, i was quoting my friend who it was his first time of travelling out of Nigeria, and i made that comment responding to his comment.
And my parents are also nigerians (IGBOs) i visit Nigeria atleast twice a year. So trust me, i know more stuff about Nigerians than some nigerians, besides I am always here on Nairaland to learn more about Nigeria and there never cease to be stories about nigerians and nigeria on here. It is what it is, NAIRALAND! And some people on here have met me personally in one of my vists to Nigeria like my friend Martin0..Comprende?! grin

nor be lie you talk
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Egombute: 3:19pm On Apr 25, 2019
I understand u bro...
gypsey:
To put it simply, BTA is cash money you are meant to have on you while travelling, There are no maximum or minimum, Except if it's like Thousands/millions of Naira or thousands/millions of Any foreign currencies, then you must declare them. Infact. you don't have to have any BTA. It's Not a legal requirement, but it would be good for you to have some cash for food, Hotel or taxi when you get to the country of your destination, your destination immigrations May Ask you about BTA too. it has nothing to do with Nigerian immigration Infact. it is more important at your destination.

I hope i made sense grin
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by iamfromlagos(f): 6:30pm On Apr 25, 2019
mimicue:
I’m sorry but they are not wise at all

My first time of traveling to Dubai was with family but due to booking issue , we had to enter different flight .
When I go to checking in spot .? They began asking why I’m traveling alone now . As a young girl they thought they have seen mumu , I told them the situation, They den told me to step aside . Me that I have heard thier gist before hand, I was at the airport for about 3hrs earlier . Next thing the idiot immigration office asked for my money if it was up to 1000 dollars , I gave him he counted later he was like I should give him and his collegue 200 dollars , I just laugh like they gave me the money to travel , I plainly told them I can’t give them a dime
They told me to step aside I gladly did . My flight was still about 3hrs later , later came to meet me if I have naira , I said I don’t have , after a while I was asked to go o . Till I reach the last spot Na so so begging for money . I gave no one a dime . We need to start learning our rights in this country , immigration has no right to demand money from you , if u don’t like it shout turn it to fight they will leave you alone .
Honestly if everyone would refuse them like you did, they'd stop asking like it's their right.

1 Like

Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by caprini1: 6:31pm On Apr 25, 2019
grandstar:
And Buhari has done zero about this?

To end this garbage simply needs a sting operation. By the time it is done a couple of times, the immigration will grow sense.

For a man who claims to be fighting corruption, this is a disgrace.

What yardsticks is he using to measure if his anti corruption war is working or is he just using ordinary measuring tape?
The land borders was more terrible,Seme precisely,but it later stopped when the new border was commissioned by PMB ,but recently they've started again, especially if you are a first time traveller.But if you tell them no and insist on it,they let you go.
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Yampotatocarrot(m): 12:12am On Apr 26, 2019
gypsey:
And my parents are also nigerians (IGBOs) i visit Nigeria atleast twice a year. So trust me, i know more stuff about Nigerians than some nigerians, besides I am always here on Nairaland to learn more about Nigeria and there never cease to be stories about nigerians and nigeria on here. It is what it is, NAIRALAND! And some people on here have met me personally in one of my visits to Nigeria like my friend Martin0..Comprende?! grin

Okay, thanks for the reply. My bad... I didn't get the sarcasm in the comment. Apologies
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by Nobody: 8:33am On Apr 26, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

Okay, thanks for the reply. My bad... I didn't get the sarcasm in the comment. Apologies
No worries mate, i Appreciate your observations.. no Offence taken..

Cheers!! grin
Re: Bribe-Seeking Immigration Officer Makes Travelers Miss Their Flight To Dubai by souljaslim(m): 11:00am On Apr 30, 2019
Bighead9:

You no get Senator or House of Representatives member from your side, abi you fall from sky? Forward your complains as a petition to the Presidency or the National Assembly, through your senator or Member.

The President cannot be everywhere at the same time.
When I can pay for my driver's license, my e passport, do bank transfer online...Y should me now be looking for my senator....to tell him NIS is doing this and that...nawa o...can't Nigeria just decide to be analog...don't dey read all this words am typing... Or all the words we have been typing...I must write complains...in a country of over 200 million...you know how many letter we go write...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

'Alfa duped female Doctor In Search Of Pregnancy and Money Ritual’ (Pictured) / Boy Dies With His Stealing Equipment After Being Electrocuted In Delta. Photo / Dead Body At Artillery Bus Stop Port-Harcourt Needs Urgent Evacuation (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.