Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally (6665 Views)

World Malaria Day: Ned Nwoko Commences Talks With American Researchers On Vaccin / Prince Ned Nwoko Foundation Holds World Malaria Day With Massive Road Walk Aware / No Bra Day 2019: What It Is And How To Get Involved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Opinionated: 4:53pm On Apr 25, 2019
By: Samuel M. Chinwe

Malaria is caused by Plasmodium parasites. The parasites are spread to people through the bites of infected female Anopheles mosquitoes, called malaria vectors. This year World Malaria Day 2019, WHO joins the RBM Partnership to End Malaria, the African Union Commission and other partner organizations in promoting “Zero malaria starts with me,”. Below are global facts surrounding water;

World’s First Malaria Vaccine Launched In Malawi, Africa on the 24th of March, 2019.

Malaria remains one of the world’s leading killers, claiming the life of one child every two minutes, according to WHO statistics.

Children under five are at greatest risk of its life-threatening complications. Worldwide, malaria kills 4,35,000 people a year, most of them children.

Mosquitoes transmitting malaria are the deadliest animals

The world’s first vaccine against malaria is being rolled out. The WHO expects it to achieve about a 40% protection rate.

Community Health Workers in sub-Saharan Africa are vital for preventing and treating malaria among children and pregnant women – two of the highest groups at risk of dying from the disease

This year Paris will host World Malaria Day 2019 and shine a light on the 300+ million people who are at risk of malaria in francophone countries.

Mosquitoes only bite at night or being infected once makes you immune are a few myths about malaria that need to be debunked.

According to WHO’s latest World malaria report, no significant gains were made in reducing malaria cases in the period 2015 to 2017

Nearly 1/2 of the population is at risk from malaria.

93% of malaria deaths are in Sub-Saharan Africa.

There were 445K deaths from malaria in 2016.

In 2016, there were ~216 million cases of malaria in 91 countries.

43% of people at risk of malaria are not protected by insecticide-treated bets or indoor residual spraying of insecticides. The war against malaria will only be won when we are more hygiene conscious and practice better preventive measures.

2.4m people have fled fighting due to Boko Haram. They take refuge in camps by LakeChad where they have to face malaria.

Poor-quality malaria drugs cost sub-Saharan Africa up to $39 million every year & worse yet, put too many lives at risk.

The Nobel Prize has been awarded to at least 6 discoveries related to malaria including Sir Ronald Ross in 1902 and Julius Wagner-Jauregg in 1927. The latest was to Tu Youyou who discovered artemisinin, a substance which inhibits the malaria parasite. She tested the medicine on herself: it now saves countless lives every year.

According to the American Mosquito Control Association, there are over 3,000 species of mosquitoes in the world, and at least 176 of them can be found in the United States. The most common, and most dangerous, are the various species in the Culex, Anopheles, and Aedes genera.

Source: World Malaria Day 2019: What to know About Malaria Globally

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by davidodiba(m): 9:45pm On Apr 25, 2019
Malaria is deadly...sleep in treated nets please

I dedicate this FTC to the guy below me

1 Like

Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Kulushkalash(m): 9:45pm On Apr 25, 2019
FTC
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Hintona(f): 9:47pm On Apr 25, 2019
Alexander the great comes to mind

1 Like

Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Nobody: 9:47pm On Apr 25, 2019
Mosquitoes kwanu? Chey
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by datola: 9:48pm On Apr 25, 2019
Malaria is a serious issue in this part of the world.
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by chibabyboy: 9:49pm On Apr 25, 2019
Ftc
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by FUNNYBONE1(m): 9:50pm On Apr 25, 2019
i comment my reserve
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Kcuf: 9:50pm On Apr 25, 2019
"you're 50,000 times more likely to be killed by a mosquito than a shark"

wait, what!
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Nairalandmentor(m): 9:50pm On Apr 25, 2019
sad
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Georgry(m): 9:52pm On Apr 25, 2019
ok
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by braveboy64(m): 9:54pm On Apr 25, 2019
Females destroying the human race

1 Like

Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Anas97(f): 9:58pm On Apr 25, 2019
FYI the mosquitos it self arnt the dangerous ones. Cos the mosquitos are jxt the mechanical vectors of the plasmodium parasite. A mosquito devoid of this parasite is harmless. There are four plasmodium species infective to man and they are plasmodium ovale, plasmodium vivax, plasmodium malariae and plasmodium falciparum. Plasmodium falciparum has the highest killer rate of all the plasmodium species

1 Like

Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Debaiz: 10:04pm On Apr 25, 2019
See name Tu Youyou

1 Like

Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Cmanforall: 10:09pm On Apr 25, 2019
sad
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Bheewhy(m): 10:11pm On Apr 25, 2019
I pray the recent vaccine developed should work effectively if otherwise Mosquito should be stamped out or make sterile in this part of the world but since the western world has decided to play politics with it and our so called African leaders remain dumb and egocentric, we will keep spending to saturate our foolishness.
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by kalvoken(m): 10:18pm On Apr 25, 2019
This same malaria wey no allow grill for Easter. The thing nearly took my life, but my God pass them.
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by ImmaculateJOE(m): 11:32pm On Apr 25, 2019
Hintona:
Alexander the great comes to mind

How please. What role did he play regarding malaria?
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Hintona(f): 11:34pm On Apr 25, 2019
ImmaculateJOE:

How please. What role did he play regarding malaria?
He died of malaria

3 Likes

Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by layuns(m): 12:14am On Apr 26, 2019
Wow
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by lasisi69(f): 3:10am On Apr 26, 2019
w

1 Like

Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by IMASTEX: 3:52am On Apr 26, 2019
A more aggressive approach would be okay by me. Like developing chemicals which should be distributed for use by everyone within their surrounding to make them go extinct completely.
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by sykeng(m): 5:51am On Apr 26, 2019
Anas97:
FYI the mosquitos it self arnt the dangerous ones. Cos the mosquitos are jxt the mechanical vectors of the plasmodium parasite. A mosquito devoid of this parasite is harmless. There are four plasmodium species infective to man and they are plasmodium ovale, plasmodium vivax, plasmodium malariae and plasmodium falciparum. Plasmodium falciparum has the highest killer rate of all the plasmodium species

No doubt, uninfected mosquitoes can not transmit malaria but they are dangerous because they act as a medium of transmission, No mosquito No malaria.

1 Like

Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by sykeng(m): 6:05am On Apr 26, 2019
IMASTEX:
A more aggressive approach would be okay by me. Like developing chemicals which should be distributed for use by everyone within their surrounding to make them go extinct completely.

there is no more aggressive measures other than the prevention or control measures listed above. chemicals also have their side effects on humans and the environment. After the second world, the insecticidal properties of DDT ( Diethyldiphinyltrichloroethene) which was used in agricultural activities and insects control in the USA until its adverse effects on humans was discovered and was later ban. Today the use of conventional insecticide and malaria drugs should serve as the last resort, because even common paracetamol has its own side effect.

1 Like

Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by IMASTEX: 7:15am On Apr 26, 2019
sykeng:

there is no more aggressive measures other than the prevention or control measures listed above. chemicals also have their side effects on humans and the environment. After the second world, the insecticidal properties of DDT ( Diethyldiphinyltrichloroethene) which was used in agricultural activities and insects control in the USA until its adverse effects on humans was discovered and was later ban. Today the use of conventional insecticide and malaria drugs should serve as the last resort, because even common paracetamol has its own side effect.
As a farmer, most times we are more exposed to mosquito bit. Even as I typed I was beaten by at least 3 over the night that I just killed with blood. I do feel pain when I see that couple with the noise they make before feasting on one. Warri is the worse place talking of mosquito, I am there for an assignments. Not a night passes by with at least 3 to 5 mosquito bit. Whether or not you fumigate before going to bed. It has defile logic on how they get it. Currently making plans for treated net. My first night experience was a disaster, I had to take malaria treatment the following day, seeing the dot all over my body. Killing over a thousand that night with hands. Hmmm
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Timekeeper: 7:51am On Apr 26, 2019
Come to kano state especially Sabon gari... The mosquitoes are just too much mehnnnnn
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Timekeeper: 7:53am On Apr 26, 2019
Op and every other concerned person

How possible is it?
I notice whenever I'm back in Lagos, no matter the mosquito bite, I don't get sick.. Even when I came to Lagos for my IT, almost a year of mosquito bite and I didn't have malaria

But whenever I come to kano, just one night mosquito bite will finish me. Even in ogun state back then, just a night or two mosquitoes bite finishes me..

What is the causes of this?
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by fineboynl(m): 8:30am On Apr 26, 2019
mosquito is one insects that can never goes instinct no matter the world power might
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Simpsonrocket(m): 8:35am On Apr 26, 2019
MOSQUITO It came again last night When everywhere was dark and without light It bored through the old net And flew in the air like a passing jet It pierced through the midnight air With its blood-sucking spear After patrolling the whole room It landed softly on my foot Then it dipped its blood-sucking spear in my body Sucking off the red juice down to its belly When it was through with its feast It staggered and flew back to its nest . By: Simon Joseph
Re: World Malaria Day 2019: What To Know About Malaria Globally by Simpsonrocket(m): 8:36am On Apr 26, 2019
MOSQUITO It came again last night When everywhere was dark and without light It bored through the old net And flew in the air like a passing jet It pierced through the midnight air With its blood-sucking spear After patrolling the whole room It landed softly on my foot Then it dipped its blood-sucking spear in my body Sucking off the red juice down to its belly When it was through with its feast It staggered and flew back to its nest . By: Simon Joseph

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gums Bleeding While Brushing / Flat Stomach Exercises And Healthy Eating Tips, To Stay In Shape, Best Ever / The Damage Drugs Can Do To The Face

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.