Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits (19220 Views)

BBC Pundits Question Tobi Amusan's 100m Hurdles World Record / 2022: Salah Voted Player's Player Of The Year,ronaldo Makes PFA Team Of The Year / Pogba Should Not Have Gone To Greet The Fans - Shearer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by ogbiwa: 5:09am On Apr 26, 2019
Six Manchester City players and four from Liverpool make the PFA Team of the Year - but it is the inclusion of the remaining player that has been the most notable selection.

Despite an inconsistent season, Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba finds himself in the 11, the only player in the side not from the Premier League's top two clubs.

The team was voted for by his fellow professionals, but should Pogba be in the team? And if not, who should be in it instead?

Former England strikers Gary Lineker and Alan Shearer, ex-Premier League forward Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and football writer Melissa Reddy discuss the options.

Pogba 'does not deserve' to be in

France World Cup winner Pogba's 13 goals and nine assists so far this season put him in the top 10 for both categories - but none of the four pundits included him in their teams.

Lineker
Pogba is a beautiful footballer, there is no question about that and has lots of qualities. In certain performances this season for Manchester United he has been exceptional. I don't think he deserves to be in the team of the year because his form has been erratic, certainly in the Mourinho part of the season. He has not been consistent enough.

Shearer
I am really surprised other players think he has been so consistent that a lot of them have decided to put him in their team. You should respect him for what he has done in the game but he has not been as consistent as he should be.

Hasselbaink
Pogba's individual ability is magnificent but I don't think he should be even close to this team.

Reddy
He is supremely talented but nowhere near consistent enough. He is not reliable enough and not the reference point for his team. When you are that gifted, you should be and everyone should be looking at him as the leader. Perhaps the name helps.

Who should have been in instead?

Chelsea are challenging for a top-four place but may not have been there without the contributions of Eden Hazard, who has scored 16 goals and provided 13 assists. All four pundits selected Hazard in their teams.

Midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum has been instrumental in Liverpool's quest for a first league title in 29 years, while Declan Rice's performances for West Ham have earned him a call-up to the England national team.

Lineker
When you judge players and how good they are, the element of joy they bring to the game is very important. Hazard is probably the closest to Lionel Messi in style - low to the ground, strong, with an electric burst of pace - and I love watching him play.

Shearer
Wijnaldum is Mr Consistent. I don't think Liverpool would be where they are without his performances. He offers solidity and is a leader in that midfield. Not many people mention him compared to the others, but he has been a regular 8/10 each week.

Hasselbaink
This boy Rice has caught my eye. I saw him play and followed him, he left Chelsea to join West Ham and they have nurtured him. He is 20 but plays so maturely and in an important position where you have to be unselfish. What I have noticed is he does it simply, getting the ball and playing it. He has a pass accuracy of around 80%. He has been very consistent and against Manchester United at Old Trafford, he played a magnificent game and was above everyone else.

Reddy
Chelsea would not be anywhere near the conversation for a Champions League place without Hazard. When you speak to players who have played against him, they say he is unplayable. He is so quick in his mind so is three steps ahead of you. He is so strong so it is difficult to get the ball off him. You have to have multiple players defending against him and a gameplan to stop service to him.

The goalkeeping debate

The pundits were split in the goalkeeper category, with Manchester City's Ederson and Liverpool's Alisson the two clear options.

Lineker
It is easy to make a great case for both Ederson and Alisson, there is not a lot in it. They are vying for the top spot for Brazil too. Alisson has been helped by a stern Liverpool defence and both can play football but Ederson gets the nod because he could probably play in midfield for Manchester City and has been consistent - he has made fewer errors than Alisson.

Shearer
For the goalkeeping position, my mind was 50/50 up until last weekend when Ederson made four one-on-one saves in their 1-0 win over Tottenham and it tipped it in his favour. Both he and Alisson have made a huge difference and added something else to their teams.

Hasselbaink
Alisson has made such a big difference to Liverpool compared to last year. I appreciate how he has come in and how he has changed the backline and the confidence he has given to the Liverpool fans and the defence. He has made the big saves in the big moments. They have only conceded 20 goals so far this season. He is not as good with the ball at this feet as Ederson, but I like a goalkeeper to be a goalkeeper - make saves and catch balls. Alisson does that.

Reddy
When he walked in, the players stopped and marvelled at him. In the tunnel, there is a sense of 'that is our goalkeeper' and psychologically that has had an impact. His playing style allows Liverpool to win in a variety of ways, which is something they have not done before. They can rely on a steely foundation. Ederson is exceptional, but I do not think he has had an impact like Alisson.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48038384

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by logon599: 5:12am On Apr 26, 2019
Pogba, Aguero, Fernandinho shouldn't be in this team. Hazard, Wijnaldum, Salah, and anyone of Doucoure, Ruben Neves, Moutinho should've been in.

17 Likes

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by Robert129(m): 5:25am On Apr 26, 2019
Pogba doesn't deserve that position. Very inconsistent guy.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by daddytime(m): 5:34am On Apr 26, 2019
Na big clubs and names dem take dey chose the nonsense list na...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by MrImole: 6:23am On Apr 26, 2019
Even the English FA is correct corrupt.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by Orientalbrother: 6:25am On Apr 26, 2019
Yea, am like wtf? Those voters crazy angry

1 Like

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by LordCenturion(m): 6:25am On Apr 26, 2019
He's overrated this season, Pogba doesn't deserve it, I don't know those that rate players performances,especially in fifa ratings,the most painful is 2010 when Wesley sneidjer deserved it,they gave it to Messi,another error this year award,Ronaldo deserve it,they gave it Modric,it was this year they remembered that midfielder need to get the award,this season award should belong to Messi, am patiently waiting for the person they will give it to this time..... Nonsense ratings, maybe fifa should end voting by individual players, maybe they should be rating them by themselves base on their performances on field,imagine, someone that just watch Modric matches twice a year will vote for him....

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by vastolord4(m): 6:25am On Apr 26, 2019
Why?
Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by NoBetterNigeria: 6:25am On Apr 26, 2019
We all know that cheesy

1 Like

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by sod09(m): 6:26am On Apr 26, 2019
logon599:
Pogba, Aguero, Fernandinho shouldn't be in this team. Hazard, Wijnaldum, Salah, and anyone of Doucoure, Ruben Neves, Moutinho should've been in.
you m undecided undecidedmean undecided aguero shouldn't be there undecided

3 Likes

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by DonFreshmoney(m): 6:26am On Apr 26, 2019
Left back should have been Lucas Digne of Everton..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by yinkus6750(m): 6:27am On Apr 26, 2019
Unnecessarily over hyped.
Made little impact on the club.
Unduly expensive.
He should be sold off.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by Orientalbrother: 6:28am On Apr 26, 2019
logon599:
fernandinho and aguero is deserving of the list, no better dm and striker than them in the epl, hazard should replace pogba.

11 Likes

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by Kingluqman(m): 6:28am On Apr 26, 2019
Pogba is as useless as N1 grin
Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by Orientalbrother: 6:30am On Apr 26, 2019
DonFreshmoney:
Left back should have been Lucas Digne of Everton..
digne is good, but Robertson is better, i am thinking wan bissaka should replace Arnold too,for the right back.

1 Like

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by nepapole(m): 6:35am On Apr 26, 2019
Wetin pogba dey find for that list ?
I no know which one better pass btw INEC and PFA
GGMU!!

1 Like

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by Carlyboi(m): 6:35am On Apr 26, 2019
Diogo jota absolutely deserves to be there that guy is magnificent and Heung-min son has been great for spurs too so I’m thinking no arsenal player I guess no London here just merseyside and Manchester smh Aguero has been great this season absolutely deserves his place Fernandinho doesn’t have any business in there pls yeah he was great for city but really has he been the best in his position this season??

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by Nobody: 6:39am On Apr 26, 2019
Well he already made the team. And there's nothing you all can do about it

Stop the hate!!!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by Pidginwhisper: 6:41am On Apr 26, 2019
Ndidi Should be on that list

10 Likes

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by optimusprime2(m): 6:43am On Apr 26, 2019
It's something we know already...
Pogba doesn't Even deserve second squad of the premier league

6 Likes

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by Uyi168: 6:44am On Apr 26, 2019
This nairabet/bet9ja bet guy always spamming every threads..
How we go do him matter Na?? angry

3 Likes

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by Bonapart(m): 6:46am On Apr 26, 2019
I think English pundits have something against this guy. All English players in Manchester United are shit this season yet they are singling out poba for bashing over and over

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by Boschh(m): 6:46am On Apr 26, 2019
I'm a United fan, and I Dont disagree with this opinion. Pogba is no where near world class. Lately, he has turned to a more lazy player, takes forever to release passes etc.

Doucoure, Ruben neves, Declan Rice are way ahead of him this season. I can buy that Doucoure guy for 40million without regrets.

Fernandinho and Wijnaldum impressed me a lot this season though. These are modern-day Midfield Enforcers.

8 Likes

Re: Paul Pogba 'Should Not Be Close' To PFA Team Of The Year- BBC Pundits by MobileGees: 6:48am On Apr 26, 2019
All those above me knows nothing about football

These stats shows just how good Pobga has been this year

The guy has the most goals and assist from a cm in the whole premier League it's just man u that has been dragging the guy back

Pogba's is the only reason Man U is not fighting relegation

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sure Banker Games / Thierry Henry Set To Become New Bournemouth Manager / FIFA Rejects Ethiopia Protest Over Disallowed Goal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.