Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,425 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion (26035 Views)

2018 NDDC MSC And PHD Scholarship Application / The 2 Immutable Laws Of Being A First Class Student / Total Scholarship Application 2017/2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by pinkygurl(f): 5:36pm On May 03, 2019
stanliwise:
which would your prefer. A 3.43 or a 2.52
2'2 na 2'2. 3.45 is still an effing 2'2

1 Like

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by stanliwise(m): 5:39pm On May 03, 2019
Kingkun69:
shatap she is correct you were not studying now got a rubbish 2.2 now saying LeT tHe BaR bE LoWeReD eQuAl cHaNcEs oga either u gather Money or do ur msc here or u make a ground Breaking human advancing discovery like a man saying he wants to eat food with ppl without doing his part
funny things is you didn't profer any explanation to your solution after all the shunning
Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by stamapro(m): 5:39pm On May 03, 2019
trilobite:
Start preparing to apply for Chinese government scholarship next year!!
Browse and learn, don't use agents.

Tell me more, really interested. How do you mean " don't use agents" Pls explain
Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by stanliwise(m): 5:40pm On May 03, 2019
pinkygurl:

2'2 na 2'2. 3.45 is still an effing 2'2
Have you ever applied for a masters program?

8 Likes

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Bifrost: 5:42pm On May 03, 2019
stanliwise:

Oya na, go and get the scholarship let me see you. grin

For you to get scholarship with that appalling CGPA, you have work to do. You would need a sterling GRE score, an outstanding motivation letter or statement of purpose and you should be able to explain why you played away you CGPA during your undergraduate days. Iranu oshi. grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by kingkuntaval: 5:44pm On May 03, 2019
czarina:
Oh, tell that to the gods. When you were being "unserious" with your first degree because you "hated" it, you should have considered that someday, maybe someday, you'll find it useful.

You didn't and now you want the bar lowered for your sake? Who are you?

You think you're better off than most persons with a 2.2 or what, lol..Keep fooling urself..SOB.

3 Likes

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by stanliwise(m): 5:46pm On May 03, 2019
Bifrost:

Oya na, go and get the scholarship let me see you. grin

For you to get scholarship with that appalling CGPA, you have work to do. You would need a sterling GRE score, an outstanding motivation letter or statement of purpose and you should be able to explain why you played away you CGPA during your undergraduate days. Iranu oshi. grin grin
stop using 'you'. for the record, I am not a 2.2 graduate.
There are different scholarship, all have varying requirements.

7 Likes

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Bifrost: 5:47pm On May 03, 2019
kingkuntaval:

You think you're better off than most persons with a 2.2 or what, lol..Keep fooling urself..SOB.

But he didn't say that...
You shouldn't encourage mediocrity. Dazzol

6 Likes

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Bifrost: 5:47pm On May 03, 2019
stanliwise:
stop using 'you'. for the record, I am not a 2.2 graduate.
There are different scholarship, all have varying requirements.

Fine, I'll modify to 'him'.
Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Gerrard59(m): 5:49pm On May 03, 2019
whyteteeth:
I have been trying to apply for scholarships so i can do my Msc outside the country but I just realized my class of degree isn't really working in my favor. Well I made a good 2.2(3.32) in my first degree largely due to many reasons ranging from lack of motivation(i didn't study the course of my dream), some financial setbacks and the attitude of our lecturers towards the students. I opted for a Pgd sometime last year because I needed to switch to another discipline. By God's grace I have finished and I did very well; I made 12As and 2Bs of out the 14 courses I offered during the course of the program.

Recently, I started searching for scholarships so I can travel overseas for my masters degree but all the scholarships I am seeing place a 2.1 as a minimum Scholarship requirement for eligibility in obtaining such scholarships. for instance the common wealth scholarship, NLNG scholarship etc. I am wondering why this is so because i feel people who didn't make up to such class of degree should be given opportunity to further their education. I mean its not like its a do or die affair for everyone to make a first class or a 2.1. A 2.2 is also a result. To begin with some persons like me didn't end up with a 2.2 because they aren't intelligent but many factors beyond their control could have been responsible for that. I am really depressed. I think they should lift the bar and give everyone equal opportunity. We all can make a change despite our class of degree. Afterall the most motivated and talented people are not always the ones with first class and 2.1.

I believe I have what it takes intellectually to succeed in my chosen field of study if i am given the opportunity.

I'm sorry but the bold is not true.

Most of the motivated people are those folks you seem to deride. Trust me, it takes a whole lot of determination, perseverance and grit to excel exceptionally in one's studies. And it will be unfair to deride them. Yet another reason is that these bodies have the right to state requirements they deem fit and they assume (most likely correctly) that individuals with high grades will perform well when awarded these scholarships and grants.

Yes, it sounds unfair but hey! It's why some folks work extremely hard in school to excel so they can benefit from these programs. Yes, there exist factors beyond one's control to eventually finish with a low grade but then again, there are individuals who faced similar situations and finished higher. Who then has a higher motivation to pull through? Who should be listened to first? How do you want the judges who don't know you from Adam to gauge your grit?

I would advise that you overlook certain scholarship programs like NLNG or Commonwealth. Those are prestigious and most of the time, they're awarded to folks with exceptional profiles. Most times, it even goes beyond having a first class, extracurricular skills are involved. Even going to top programs for someone with a low grade entails doing other things very well to stand a chance. Unfortunately, NLNG or Commonwealth is not business school where such factors are holistically looked into.

It's pertinent to understand that this is a journey and how one begins can affect the process or eventual outcome. Like a poster opined, try the US GRE option: do very well in the GRE, get excellent recommendations, build a good track of extracurricular activities or grow your business to a higher level, fantastic SOP and the sky is your limit. But also remember, as you are doing this, there are gazillions of others with superior grades doing same. It's why you should put in your best as the beginning will affect the end.

P.S. If you have the money, you could try other countries. E.g. Germany.

Best wishes!

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Chukazu: 5:49pm On May 03, 2019
whyteteeth:
I have been trying to apply for scholarships so i can do my Msc outside the country but I just realized my class of degree isn't really working in my favor. Well I made a good 2.2(3.32) in my first degree largely due to many reasons ranging from lack of motivation(i didn't study the course of my dream), some financial setbacks and the attitude of our lecturers towards the students. I opted for a Pgd sometime last year because I needed to switch to another discipline. By God's grace I have finished and I did very well; I made 12As and 2Bs of out the 14 courses I offered during the course of the program.

Recently, I started searching for scholarships so I can travel overseas for my masters degree but all the scholarships I am seeing place a 2.1 as a minimum Scholarship requirement for eligibility in obtaining such scholarships. for instance the common wealth scholarship, NLNG scholarship etc. I am wondering why this is so because i feel people who didn't make up to such class of degree should be given opportunity to further their education. I mean its not like its a do or die affair for everyone to make a first class or a 2.1. A 2.2 is also a result. To begin with some persons like me didn't end up with a 2.2 because they aren't intelligent but many factors beyond their control could have been responsible for that. I am really depressed. I think they should lift the bar and give everyone equal opportunity. We all can make a change despite our class of degree. Afterall the most motivated and talented people are not always the ones with first class and 2.1.

I believe I have what it takes intellectually to succeed in my chosen field of study if i am given the opportunity.

Are you on Twitter ? DM me for dozens of scholarship offer

1 Like

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by maik99(m): 5:51pm On May 03, 2019
stanliwise:

Wetin be the difference
Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 03, 2019
Kingkun69:
shatap she is correct you were not studying now got a rubbish 2.2 now saying LeT tHe BaR bE LoWeReD eQuAl cHaNcEs oga either u gather Money or do ur msc here or u make a ground Breaking human advancing discovery like a man saying he wants to eat food with ppl without doing his part

Don't tell people to shut up Arrogant creature. I know persons that could have had a first class, but dropped all the way to 2:2, because of a lot of factors, health, finance, death of sponsors, union politics victimization, police harassment (was illegally detained for 7 months after a riot in the school, no one could defend him because of his background, ).
I came out with a 2:1 but I know there are folks who worked harder than me that came out with 2:2, the difference was just background, grace, time and chance.
Its people like you that commit suicide when life eventually knocks you down for the first time. Spoilt Arrogant Brat!

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by ayusco85(m): 5:53pm On May 03, 2019
trilobite:

Google is your best friend. He should start now and learn all the application procedures before it opens again early next year.

Are u a geologist. Ur moniker
Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by LordMarquis(m): 5:58pm On May 03, 2019
I understand your plight. However, foreign scholarships are meant for the best because they are very expensive and the sponsor has to ensure that only individuals who can cope with the intellectual rigours of postgraduate education are chosen else it will be a waste of resources. This is particularly true for foreign scholarships which require that you combine the stress of settling down into a new culture with academic stress. While it is true that some people with Second Class Lower can do well if given the opportunity, individuals with First Class Honours will arguably do better because, all things being equal, they have a broader background knowledge. That's just the nature of scholarships.

My advice, as someone else suggested, is that you apply for a master's degree in Nigeria. If you can complete your masters with a distinction and you get some relevant work/volunteer experience and, preferably, a good publication (journal article), you should be able to get a PhD scholarship.

I wish you the best.

10 Likes

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by stanliwise(m): 5:59pm On May 03, 2019
Bifrost:

Fine, I'll modify to 'him'.
maybe you're trying to show tough love and shunning mediocrity but I don't think he asked for too much. a 3.23 CGPA isnt totally miserable. You didn't know his full condition He may actually not be so unserious as you think.

2 Likes

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by stanliwise(m): 6:00pm On May 03, 2019
maik99:

Wetin be the difference
Have you applied for masters before?

1 Like

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by czarina(f): 6:04pm On May 03, 2019
stanliwise:
maybe you're trying to show tough love and shunning mediocrity but I don't think he asked for too much. a 3.23 CGPA isnt totally miserable. You didn't know his full condition He may actually not be so unserious as you think.
He said it himself. Don't sugarcoat things. He had everything in him to excel but he never liked the course according to him.

2 Likes

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by GreatResearcher: 6:04pm On May 03, 2019
whyteteeth:

There's never any excuse good enough for failing.

Great people take resposibilities while their opposite give excuses.

You couldn't take your first degree serious , what make you think you will take Msc serious? Because it's overseas? Hell nah!

I have seen and heard people coming out with first class even with these factors you listed.

I know a guy who had financial issues while in school. To buy textbooks or pay fees was a problem but guess what? Nigga came out with 2:1.

7 Likes

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Bifrost: 6:06pm On May 03, 2019
stanliwise:

You may be right.
And that's why I said in my earlier post that he should be able to convince whichever school he wishes to apply why they should admit him despite his CGPA.
Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Mires: 6:08pm On May 03, 2019
Bifrost:
Can some one please tell us what the fùck is a good 2'2? grin

I am yet to see any university that awards "a good 2.2, a bad 2.2, a good 2.1, a bad, 2.1, and even a good First class". We should be civil and respect the official grading. Yes, CGPA plays a role sometimes especially in scholarship applications and postgraduate studies, ...

7 Likes

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Bifrost: 6:08pm On May 03, 2019
ayusco85:

Are u a geologist. Ur moniker

He's a fossilised Nairalander. grin

1 Like

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by GreatResearcher: 6:09pm On May 03, 2019
czarina:
Oh, tell that to the gods. When you were being "unserious" with your first degree because you "hated" it, you should have considered that someday, maybe someday, you'll find it useful.

Pls permit me to kiss u on the cheek. U just vomitted what was in my mouth.

There's never any excuse for failing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Admitwithschola: 6:10pm On May 03, 2019
whyteteeth:

Young lady this doesn’t call for insult. You can move on ..without commenting.

Guy, she is not wrong! She gave a good perspective, though it's painful for you. I tell my younger ones, if you know you want to use that paper degree to eat, you better hate anything C or B.

Meanwhile, search for my email and send me an email. I can help you - but only if your degree and pgd are in econ/math/stat maybe finance.

Any other field, unfortunately can't help

9 Likes

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by czarina(f): 6:11pm On May 03, 2019
GreatResearcher:
Pls permit me to kiss u on the cheek. U just vomitted what was in my mouth.

There's never any excuse for failing.

Yeah, you can kiss me alright! kiss
Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Admitwithschola: 6:11pm On May 03, 2019
Guest14:

It is not a must u travel overseas for studies. I was there for my first degree but it is not everything. Apply for MSC here in Nigeria with your PGD, after MSC u can get PhD scholarship overseas

Good idea - but the MSc has to be bam, no stories here
Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by lincs25(m): 6:11pm On May 03, 2019
czarina:

You are claiming bookshop here and if care is not taken your class of degree is not better than the poster!
Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by Admitwithschola: 6:11pm On May 03, 2019
trilobite:
Start preparing to apply for Chinese government scholarship next year!!
Browse and learn, don't use agents.

Another good suggestion
Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by stanliwise(m): 6:13pm On May 03, 2019
czarina:
He said it himself. Don't sugarcoat things. He had everything in him to excel but he never liked the course according to him.

And you feel you are the best person fit enough to throw the stones?
Come o... what was ur GP sef?

1 Like

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by czarina(f): 6:14pm On May 03, 2019
lincs25:
You are claiming bookshop here and if care is not taken your class of degree is not better than the poster!
Lol @ bookshop... My class of degree is non of ya business.

Op asked for opinions, I told him the not-so-bitter truth kiss

1 Like

Re: Scholarship Application And The 2.1 Criterion by naturefellow(m): 6:14pm On May 03, 2019
czarina:

GTFO if you have nothing positive to contribute to his predicament! undecided

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ABUAD Ranked Best University In Nigeria By Times Higher Education / 17-Year-Old Student Commits Suicide Over Failure To Pass Exam In Kwara / Ugoji Chinenyenwa Pamela: Best Graduating Student UNN's Pharmacy Department

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.