Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I (904 Views)

The Great Debate Between The Creationist And An Atheist / Foundational Debate Between A Muslim And A Christian / DEBATE: Pls Present All The Biblical Contradictions And Lies Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 8:42am On May 04, 2019
Good day guys. As the topic says “science refutes God”. This is a debate between hopeforcharles and I https://www.nairaland.com/5166360/im-confused#78073126. Anyone is free to join as far as you do not derail the thread.

As the speaker speaking for the motion. I start by saying I have the advantage of winning this debate because I have evidence reason, logic empirical method and rationality on my side, where as hopeforcharles has nothing but vague hopes, fears, and not to forget “FAITH”.
I think I should first clarify the nature of the motion. The motion says “science REFUTES god” not “DISPROVE”. This is very important because you can’t disprove something which has not been proven. As Carl Sagan says “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence”.
And today I am here to tell you with over 500 years of science, god (whatever you define it as) is not relevant to this universe. It is actually irrational to believe in god.
Now to refute god is to refute several assertions made by theists. Here is just some of the major assertions
1. That god Is necessary for the creation of the universe and complex life
2. There is evidence for god
3. Believing in god is rational.

But with the progress of science, it has shown us that there is no need for any intelligent designer for what so ever. A lot of creation myths have been created throughout our history and science has come out to tell us they are false.

I am sure my opponent is surely going to come up with this point that the universe is fine tuned for life, so it must require an intelligent designer. That is blatantly false! This was the same type of reasoning people thought that made us think we were created specially from other animals before Charles Darwin came up with Evolution (the theory of natural selection). But what Darwin showed us was that there was just genetic variation among the population combined with NATURAL selection means that you do not need any intelligent designer. That all the living thing on earth came from the same ancestors (theory of modification by descent) by natural law. Darwin never knew anything about DNA but he knew it was plausible. Now with the invention of DNA more evidence for evolution has come to light and the only people who do not believe in evolution are scientifically illiterate people. Evolution is a scientific theory same way Gravity is. Now Darwin has removed the need for god the next evidence was the creation of the universe.

Back to the argument that the universe was finetuned for life. I am sure hopeforcharles would say that if there is a little change is any of the given laws of nature that we would not be here today. I am here to tell you that it is an illusion. What we are seeing here is an example of cosmic natural selection. The universe was not created for us but rather we evolved to adapt to this universe. Most of the universes are not even conducive for life. There is a plausible explanation for how a universe could come from nothing. Hopeforcharles could also argue that the multiverse scientist talk about was created so as to do away with god because scientist don’t like god, because it’s the same characteristic that god is supposed to have. To be honest I do not like the idea of the multiverse but our calculation and observation has shown us more outside our universe. There are still a lot of unanswered questions but god is not required in the answer

And now` to conclude science has taught me that
1. We do not need god to create the universe
2. We do not need to believe in god
3. It is irrational.

So clearly you should become and atheist.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by calberian: 8:45am On May 04, 2019
Interesting stuff
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hopeforcharles(m): 9:31am On May 04, 2019
hakeem4:
Good day guys. As the topic says “science refutes God”. This is a debate between hopeforcharles and I https://www.nairaland.com/5166360/im-confused#78073126. Anyone is free to join as far as you do not derail the thread.

As the speaker speaking for the motion. I start by saying I have the advantage of winning this debate because I have evidence reason, logic empirical method and rationality on my side, where as hopeforcharles has nothing but vague hopes, fears, and not to forget “FAITH”.
I think I should first clarify the nature of the motion. The motion says “science REFUTES god” not “DISPROVE”. This is very important because you can’t disprove something which has not been proven. As Carl Sagan says “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence”.
And today I am here to tell you with over 500 years of science, god (whatever you define it as) is not relevant to this universe. It is actually irrational to believe in god.
Now to refute god is to refute several assertions made by theists. Here is just some of the major assertions
1. That god Is necessary for the creation of the universe and complex life
2. There is evidence for god
3. Believing in god is rational.

But with the progress of science, it has shown us that there is no need for any intelligent designer for what so ever. A lot of creation myths have been created throughout our history and science has come out to tell us they are false.

I am sure my opponent is surely going to come up with this point that the universe is fine tuned for life, so it must require an intelligent designer. That is blatantly false! This was the same type of reasoning people thought that made us think we were created specially from other animals before Charles Darwin came up with Evolution (the theory of natural selection). But what Darwin showed us was that there was just genetic variation among the population combined with NATURAL selection means that you do not need any intelligent designer. That all the living thing on earth came from the same ancestors (theory of modification by descent) by natural law. Darwin never knew anything about DNA but he knew it was plausible. Now with the invention of DNA more evidence for evolution has come to light and the only people who do not believe in evolution are scientifically illiterate people. Evolution is a scientific theory same way Gravity is. Now Darwin has removed the need for god the next evidence was the creation of the universe.

Back to the argument that the universe was finetuned for life. I am sure hopeforcharles would say that if there is a little change is any of the given laws of nature that we would not be here today. I am here to tell you that it is an illusion. What we are seeing here is an example of cosmic natural selection. The universe was not created for us but rather we evolved to adapt to this universe. Most of the universes are not even conducive for life. There is a plausible explanation for how a universe could come from nothing. Hopeforcharles could also argue that the multiverse scientist talk about was created so as to do away with god because scientist don’t like god, because it’s the same characteristic that god is supposed to have. To be honest I do not like the idea of the multiverse but our calculation and observation has shown us more outside our universe. There are still a lot of unanswered questions but god is not required in the answer

And now` to conclude science has taught me that
1. We do not need god to create the universe
2. We do not need to believe in god
3. It is irrational.

So clearly you should become and atheist.

Quite impressive @ hakeem4 you must have done some research. But there are facts you missed out, and most of your quotes and saying are half baked.
I accept your challenge but I must have to do my research and carve out time we will update this post intelligently and at our own pace to enable us handle other needs we have outside the internet because I am usually a busy person.
I am very happy you are a Nigerian and A man from the south, A place where is there is be right back duty calls
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by EmperorHarry: 1:51pm On May 04, 2019
If you believe evolution refutes the God theory,then you might just be as thick and deluded as the theist you are criticizing.

Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 2:34pm On May 04, 2019
EmperorHarry:
If you believe evolution refutes the God theory,then you might just be as thick and deluded as the theist you are criticizing.

well, evolution said there was no need for any intelligent design
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by EmperorHarry: 4:52pm On May 04, 2019
hakeem4:
What if there was/is an intelligent designer who is different from the theistic and religious perception of the nature of said intelligent designer? Would you still wholeheartedly support the evolution theory?
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by titigenius: 9:52pm On May 04, 2019
OP, i would like to ask a question. How old is the earth, and how long will it take a monkey to become a man since evolution agrees to that?
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 8:34am On May 05, 2019
EmperorHarry:

What if there was/is an intelligent designer who is different from the theistic and religious perception of the nature of said intelligent designer? Would you still wholeheartedly support the evolution theory?
yes I would still support but for now there’s no evidence for any.. nature does the job better
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 8:36am On May 05, 2019
titigenius:
OP, i would like to ask a question. How old is the earth, and how long will it take a monkey to become a man since evolution agrees to that?
evolution does not work that way. We did not come from monkeys. Rather about 3 million years ago we had a common ancestor with chimpanzees and bonobos
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by OpenYourEyes1: 8:49am On May 05, 2019
hakeem4:
evolution does not work that way. We did not come from monkeys. Rather about 3 million years ago we had a common ancestor with chimpanzees and bonobos

Have you read articles of numerous scientific experiments by scientists trying to encourage speciation through natural processes?
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by OpenYourEyes1: 8:54am On May 05, 2019
hakeem4:

Do you think it is possible for even the simplest software codes to arise spontaneously & evolve through natural process?
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by OpenYourEyes1: 8:58am On May 05, 2019
hakeem4:

Evolution is a scientific theory same way Gravity is.
Between Newton and Einstein who is right about gravity?
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by titigenius: 12:22pm On May 05, 2019
hakeem4:
in other words, the ancestors gave birth to three siblings; a chimpazee, a bonobos and a human. interesting!
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 2:23pm On May 05, 2019
you are mistaking evolution for abiogenesis. but muller and urey performed an experiment that showed life can arise from non-living matter
OpenYourEyes1:

Do you think it is possible for even the simplest software codes to arise spontaneously & evolve through natural process?
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by OpenYourEyes1: 2:27pm On May 05, 2019
hakeem4:
you are mistaking evolution for abiogenesis. but muller and urey performed an experiment that showed life can arise from non-living matter

Post the experiment.
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 2:29pm On May 05, 2019
titigenius:

in other words, the ancestors gave birth to three siblings; a chimpazee, a bonobos and a human. interesting!
yes but not modern chimpanzees, bonobos or human.
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 2:31pm On May 05, 2019
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 2:37pm On May 05, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

Between Newton and Einstein who is right about gravity?
well Einstein's theory of general relativity is much more accepted in the scientific community. Newton gave the formula ( gravitational attraction) that all objects in the universe attracts each other.

Einstein explained how gravity works
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by titigenius: 2:52pm On May 05, 2019
hakeem4:
yes but not modern chimpanzees, bonobos or human.
noted. but enven while typing this i know you don't believe this story. there is no sound proof to any theory of evolution just thesis
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by OpenYourEyes1: 3:02pm On May 05, 2019
hakeem4:

https://www.britannica.com/science/Miller-Urey-experiment

Is the organic compound alive?

You cannot mix different metals together to form a car. But mixing metals can produce complex and stronger metal. Did you get the point?

Old news by the way
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 4:13pm On May 05, 2019
Yes we found monomers but we do not still understand how the monomers turn into protein yet. Monomers are the building blocks of life
OpenYourEyes1:

Is the organic compound alive?

You cannot mix different metals together to form a car. But mixing metals can produce complex and stronger metal. Did you get the point?

Old news by the way
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 4:14pm On May 05, 2019
I know evolution happened. Evolution is a scientific theory. Same way gravity is
titigenius:

noted. but enven while typing this i know you don't believe this story. there is no sound proof to any theory of evolution just thesis
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by titigenius: 4:23pm On May 05, 2019
hakeem4:
I know evolution happened. Evolution is a scientific theory. Same way gravity is
since you believe evolution happened you must also believe the earth is 5.6 billion years and if according to evolution, the earth is that old the changes as claimed by evolutionist happen through time, don't you think present day man's anatomy should have already revealed loud changes, afterall 5.6 billion is a great number
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by OpenYourEyes1: 4:34pm On May 05, 2019
hakeem4:
Yes we found monomers but we do not still understand how the monomers turn into protein yet. Monomers are the building blocks of life

It can't be alive bro. You should be talking about the assembling of RNA & DNA before life can emerge. Did he find organic compound self-organising into an RNA or DNA?

Monomers add nothing important. Metals are building blocks of cars too.
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 3:59am On May 06, 2019
titigenius:

since you believe evolution happened you must also believe the earth is 5.6
billion years and if according to evolution, the earth is that old the changes as claimed by evolutionist happen through time, don't you think present day man's anatomy should have already revealed loud changes, afterall 5.6 billion is a great number
well let me give you one example
1) plantiris muscle which is useless in our body. but it was useful for our ancestors who lived on trees millions of years ago
2)laryngeal nerve.
and many more... maybe i will create another thread on evidence of evolution
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 4:02am On May 06, 2019
OpenYourEyes1:

It can't be alive bro. You should be talking about the assembling of RNA & DNA before life can emerge. Did he find organic compound self-organising into an RNA or DNA?

Monomers add nothing important. Metals are building blocks of cars too.
yes for now its still a mystery to us. but i do not think god is necessary for the creation of life
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hakeem4(m): 9:13am On May 09, 2019
hopeforcharles:

Quite impressive @ hakeem4 you must have done some research. But there are facts you missed out, and most of your quotes and saying are half baked.
I accept your challenge but I must have to do my research and carve out time we will update this post intelligently and at our own pace to enable us handle other needs we have outside the internet because I am usually a busy person.
I am very happy you are a Nigerian and A man from the south, A place where is there is be right back duty calls
still waiting for you
Re: Science Refutes God: Debate Between Hopeforcharles And I by hopeforcharles(m): 3:42pm On May 09, 2019
hakeem4:
still waiting for you
Sincerely Hakeem4 I want to engage you on this, but I will have to give it up to anyone willing to.
Reason is I am to mentally, physically and time wise engaged, due to many stressful projects, but know you this that A human comprises of couple of entities, the body soul and spirit and, there is a creator, and life has taught and showed me several times that we are all accountable to our actions,
Search for God in every area and you will surely find him.

(1) (Reply)

Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Shocked Prostitutes / DJ Arafat Sold His Soul / The Church Is A Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.