Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? (1229 Views)

I Won’t Quit New Marriage, Woman Who Married Daughter’s Boyfriend Vows / How Can I Stop My Uncles From Selling My Father's Property(land)? / Mother Or First Son, Who Is Entitled To The Late Father's Property (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by obembet(f): 6:40am On May 05, 2019
Does a married daughter have any rights on her father's property?

This question have bring so many issues in my community. And some men totally disagree why some women even support them. But to me, I believe man and woman have equal right as long as they are all from same parent. But I really want to know your view and learn from you guys.
What is your opinion?

Cc Lalasticlala
Cc MissyB3
Cc Fynestboi
Cc Dominique
Cc mynd44
Cc Seun

1 Like

Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by IamD18: 7:10am On May 05, 2019
Wether married or not, a man and a woman don't have equal right over their father's property.

3 Likes

Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by obembet(f): 7:12am On May 05, 2019
IamD18:
Wether married or not, a man and a woman don't have equal right over their father's property.

Why bro, kindly explain your point with fact
Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by Nobody: 7:15am On May 05, 2019
If the male child does not loose claim to the father's property by getting married, then the female child too should not loose claim to her inheritance because she got married.

This is the kind of feminist I am. The kind that fights against every stupid custom and norm that seem to make women seem like a lesser specie.

And not some foolish wh*res whose kind of feminism is to demand equal rights with the man, but not equal responsibility. They would tell you how your woman is not supposed to do your laundry and make your meal because she's not a Maid but would remind you how it's a man's responsibility to care for his woman.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by IamD18: 7:16am On May 05, 2019
obembet:

Why bro, kindly explain your point with fact
I don't have logical fact to give. That's what our tradition, culture and society entails.

And trust me babe, not even users on Twitter, Nland, Facebook and Instagram can change it.

3 Likes

Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by obembet(f): 7:21am On May 05, 2019
IamD18:

I don't have logical fact to give. That's what our tradition, culture and society entails.

And trust me babe, not even users on Twitter, Nland, Facebook and Instagram can change it.

But some tribe don't do this.. I grow up in west and I know how things done. Every has equal right but in east here, its something different. I even heard that some communities will give the properties to the first son alone. That's bad sir

1 Like

Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by obembet(f): 7:25am On May 05, 2019
Awol1:
If the male child does not loose claim to the father's property by getting married, then the female child too should not loose claim to her inheritance because she got married.

This is the kind of feminist I am. The kind that fights against every stupid custom and norm that seem to make women seem like a lesser specie.

And not some foolish wh*res whose kind of feminism is to demand equal rights with the man, but not equal responsibility. They would tell you how your woman is not supposed to do your laundry and make your meal because she's not a Maid but would remind you how it's a man's responsibility to care for his woman.

God bless u dear
Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by Nobody: 7:25am On May 05, 2019
obembet:

But some tribe don't do this.. I grow up in west and I know how things done. Every has equal right but in east here, its something different. I even heard that some communities will give the properties to the first son alone. That's bad sir
there's nothing of such in the South West, all children have equal rights to their parents properties.

4 Likes

Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by Nobody: 7:26am On May 05, 2019
IamD18:

Dostan, considering the intelligent contributions you've made to some topics here on Nairaland, I must tell you that this position of yours is a disappointment.

Are you aware that in saner climes, put write their will?

So, if at death it's discovered that a man has willed more property to his daughter who might be the only one he believes will keep the legacy going, what will you do?

Tell the courts how it's against custom and traditions?

The World has moved on dude. Move with it so you don't get left behind.

And henceforth, watch what you post here, people have taken note of you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by successking401(m): 7:29am On May 05, 2019
Ok
Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by IamD18: 7:31am On May 05, 2019
obembet:

Right now, I can't tell if you are blaming me for the method of traditional doings in the East or trying convince me that a man and woman v'got equal rights over their father's property in the West.

Tradition is tradition! You can't beat it.

That reminds me, how about the mother's property? Why don't you lots talk about it?

Equal right, you seek, over FATHER's property, right?

How about equal right by the two partners in achieving and working hard to get properties for their kids?

Or are these equal right of shiii only applicable in acquiring a man's property?

2 Likes

Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by iammo(m): 7:32am On May 05, 2019
cool

Yes you do have every right under the law to file for a claim to your fathers property. The law gives equal right to children of both genders and the Presiding Judge would use Nigerian constituition and laws to award you what belongs to you and not outdated village laws and customs.

Just approach the courts, and when the courts finally gives your share aproach the illegal occupants.of the property with police to serve them the court orders.

Its this foolishnes and ignorance of the law that makes some people end up paying for the same land or properties twice, after paying to the so called male child or first son, without the consent of each and every member that has claims to the property

2 Likes

Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by AntiWailer: 7:34am On May 05, 2019
Have a will before u die
Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by IamD18: 7:36am On May 05, 2019
Awol1:

Dostan, considering the intelligent contributions you've made to some topics here on Nairaland, I must tell you that this position of yours is a disappointment.

Are you aware that in saner climes, put write their will?

So, if at death it's discovered that a man has willed more property to his daughter who might be the only one he believes will keep the legacy going, what will you do?

Tell the courts how it's against custom and traditions?

The World has moved on dude. Move with it so you don't get left behind.

And henceforth, watch what you post here, people have taken note of you.
That will be a discussion for another day, but for now, let's focus on the topic.

The OP said nothing about court and will from a father.

Now tell, about acquiring properties in a family, do you think your opinion on social media will beat what will happen in reality? smiley

We are Nigerians. Let's be realistic.

A man and woman can never have the same right over their father's property!

This is not just a statement, but a fact.

3 Likes

Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by aanuoluwami14(f): 7:39am On May 05, 2019
You have the right, only if there is a will or the children are in one accord, but everything depends on the first child or first son. It's very wrong for a woman to be demanding her share from his father's will. I'm the first child as a female, everything my brother says is final, he is the person to determine to share the properties.
Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by obembet(f): 8:59am On May 05, 2019
aanuoluwami14:
You have the right, only if there is a will or the children are in one accord, but everything depends on the first child or first son. It's very wrong for a woman to be demanding her share from his father's will. I'm the first child as a female, everything my brother says is final, he is the person to determine to share the properties.

No it shouldn't be that way. What if he doesn't have a male child
Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by aanuoluwami14(f): 12:22pm On May 05, 2019
obembet:

No it shouldn't be that way. What if he doesn't have a male child

Good, let the first female child do the sharing. That is why it's good to be in one accord in a family, there wouldn't be problem at all. Also again, God will never let me be dragging things from my Father's property. Just pray that God bless you more than your father, what of the father that didn't have a bicycle? What will they share?

1 Like

Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by drmikeadams(m): 3:12pm On May 05, 2019
aanuoluwami14:
gbam if the first son is sensible grin grin he will include the sister in whatever sharing formula grin grin I grew up wit my sister grin na still my blood
Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by aanuoluwami14(f): 3:25pm On May 05, 2019
drmikeadams:
gbam if the first son is sensible grin grin he will include the sister in whatever sharing formula grin grin I grew up wit my sister grin na still my blood

Abi now grin cheesy
Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by Nobody: 3:36pm On May 05, 2019
Of course u are supposed to have right to.
But my brothers in eastern nigeria(don't know about other tribes) will tell you it's against their culture. Yet they want the daughter to help them when things go South yet they deny her her right to any of her parents property.

This archaic tradition has to go.
Makes no sense.

Even among the boys the last boy gets the least and first son gets the chunk of the whole property.
Mtcheew
Re: Does A Married Daughter Have Any Rights On Her Father's Property? by Michelle55: 4:31pm On May 05, 2019
I doubt if it's possible in the East. But I don't see anyone dragging my father's property with me when it's time except I want to let go for my uncles( of which they are very much aware). In the absence of a son in the family the lady has right to her father's properties smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Something I Noticed About Nigerians. They Turn You To Atm If You Give Them Money / The Law Of Attraction Will Attract Anything That You Mostly Think About / My Boyfriend Who Promised To Come Home For Our Introduction This December Just..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.