Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,725 members, 7,844,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:03 PM

Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again (14852 Views)

Anambra Scores Highest In NECO Exams. Records Almost 80% In 2015 Exams. / Lack Of Textbooks Causes Mass Failure In Neco Exams -ubeb Official / Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Koikoi(m): 9:38pm On Sep 21, 2010
Fant:

Let me lend my voice to this topic.
It is an undenyable fact that most of our students today {even those in tertiary institutions} are generally unserious. They no longer see hard studies as a tool for success in examinations rather, they go for the "easy way."
however, in some cases, these educational cows in the sector contribute to the failure of some of these students.
Let's not forget that every student now wishes to go to the university, and in a situation where the government can not provide educational facilities that can absorb these students into the tertiary institution, what then do you expect- they will do all they could just to frustrate the dreams of these students via the O level result knowing too well that without a good O level result, they would give up on their tertiary dreams for that year and start thinking of how to re-sit.
I had this experience in my days. I don't mean to brag, but the truth is: during my primary and secondary school days, my position has never exceeded 1st, 2nd or 3rd. But when it was time for WAEC, I wrote my heart out but when the result came, all i could get was just 4 credits and without English. This completely frustrated my tertiary potentials for that year.
However, the next year, i came back and showed them the substance i was made of. I cleared everything, having my results nicely decorated with A{s} and B{s} and WAEC could'nt stop me this time.
Lots of my clever friends have also had this experience.
So let's not only blame the students but also the government who knows that if many students happen to pass, the number of students who will be seeking admission will increase beyond their capacity which means a shame to them.

how clever were your classmates?
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Mobinga: 9:38pm On Sep 21, 2010
The mental image you folk have of these kids are people living in middle class homes in an urban setting.
There are hundreds of thousands of these candidates living in rural environments. There are hundreds of thousands of these kids that go straight home from school with little avenue for diversion. And even for those who play games in public saloons, how many of them can have the time or money to spend more than 30 minutes daily playing games?

This whole PS3 and DSTV stuff is just an excuse. The blame should be put squarely on poor parenting and an extremely poor educational system. Distractions are always present, it's how you manage them that matters. See people blaming the premiership, on average how many people spend more than 4 hours in a week watching Premier League matches?

In my secondary school days, i didn't have DSTV or the Internet. I read Novels copiously. I spent at least 30 mins daily reading fiction. My Dad made darn sure i made out enough time for reading. That is what parents are supposed to do!

@Bluetooth I taught for one year during my NYSC in a village secondary school. None of those folks were playing PS2 or watching premiership. They simply went home after school to cook, clean, sell in the market and then sleep. No time for reading, no interest from their parents. The school itself was beyond pathetic. In that year, only ONE SS3 student made credits in both Maths and English. Shebi na PS3 or DSTV cause am?

You people need to realize that there is life outside Lagos.

Texazzpete Just Became The Most Intelligent Nairalander
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Nobody: 9:39pm On Sep 21, 2010
texazzpete:

The mental image you folk have of these kids are people living in middle class homes in an urban setting.
There are hundreds of thousands of these candidates living in rural environments. There are hundreds of thousands of these kids that go straight home from school with little avenue for diversion. And even for those who play games in public saloons, how many of them can have the time or money to spend more than 30 minutes daily playing games?

This whole PS3 and DSTV stuff is just an excuse. The blame should be put squarely on poor parenting and an extremely poor educational system. Distractions are always present, it's how you manage them that matters. See people blaming the premiership, on average how many people spend more than 4 hours in a week watching Premier League matches?

In my secondary school days, i didn't have DSTV or the Internet. I read Novels copiously. I spent at least 30 mins daily reading fiction. My Dad made darn sure i made out enough time for reading. That is what parents are supposed to do!

@Bluetooth I taught for one year during my NYSC in a village secondary school. None of those folks were playing PS2 or watching premiership. They simply went home after school to cook, clean, sell in the market and then sleep. No time for reading, no interest from their parents. The school itself was beyond pathetic. In that year, only ONE SS3 student made credits in both Maths and English. Shebi na PS3 or DSTV cause am?

Well you have some good points there  but you should expantiate on the bolded as that seems a somewhat unguarded generalisation.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Nobody: 9:42pm On Sep 21, 2010
texazzpete:

Don't underestimate the present day children,they are worst than those in your time.Poor parenting may be part of the problem but the children have done nothing themselves to improve.If we talked about standard of education,it has always been the same shiot.so if the standard of education and the poor parentng level are still the same between your time and now,why are we having more failure now compare to then ?
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 21, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Don't underestimate the present day children,they are worst than those in your time.Poor parenting may be part of the problem but the children have done nothing themselves to improve.If we talked about standard of education,it has always been the same.so if the standard of education and the poor parentng level are still the same between your time and now,why are we having more failure now compare to then ?

Personally I wouldn't blame poor parenting for these results . That sounds too much of a stereotyped generalisation. Besides by what standards are people assessing present-day parents on? Is it the standard of yesteryears when the illiteracy and poverty level was that much greater?
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by texazzpete(m): 10:01pm On Sep 21, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Don't underestimate the present day children,they are worst than those in your time.Poor parenting may be part of the problem but the children have done nothing themselves to improve.If we talked about standard of education,it has always been the same shiot.so if the standard of education and the poor parentng level are still the same between your time and now,why are we having more failure now compare to then ?

No. The standard of education has worsened. At least in the 90s, we never had a situation where NYSC corps members were made into one of the pillars of secondary education. We didn't have this widespread teacher apathy (oftentimes caused by the failure of the Govt to pay their salaries).
We didn't have Pidgin English being the main spoken Language in schools. In fact, up until SS3, i totally sucked at speaking Pidgin.

Also, Parents are supposed to ensure their kids get enough study time. They are supposed to review report cards and step in to correct non-performance.
I even encourage Parents to employ more radical means to get their kids to learn how to speak English properly.

I wish i could take a screenshot of my Facebook profile for you, see the terrible grammar some of my acquaintances are using. And more often than not, it's the younger ones that are this poor.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 21, 2010
texazzpete:

No. The standard of education has worsened. At least in the 90s, we never had a situation where NYSC corps members were made into one of the pillars of secondary education. We didn't have this widespread teacher apathy (oftentimes caused by the failure of the Govt to pay their salaries).
We didn't have Pidgin English being the main spoken Language in schools. In fact, up until SS3, i totally sucked at speaking Pidgin.

Also, Parents are supposed to ensure their kids get enough study time. They are supposed to review report cards and step in to correct non-performance.
I even encourage Parents to employ more radical means to get their kids to learn how to speak English properly.
Old boy don't generalise like that. There were too many schools back in the day where the main language was vernacular or broken english and who didn't even have grade 2 teachers not to talk of graduates. There is no evidence that the schools were any better in the 1990's
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by mrofficial(m): 10:12pm On Sep 21, 2010
Now we sip Moet, Hennessy, Red Label, Courvoisier, Ace of Spades, Jack Daniels, e.t.c. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by xterra2(m): 10:18pm On Sep 21, 2010
Okay i wrote NECO too
I would not check cause i get i didnt perform well
It doesnt matter to me as i wrote and passed WAEC in Flying Colors
I knew already i would passed WAEC so i didnt even read for NECO
I Didnt wanted to Write NECO but my parents wouldnt agree i had to write anyway
And with my WAEC combined with my JAMB combined with my SAT i had admissions in Nigeria and in Turkey

So Zap NECO it is Useless
There are so many of people like me in my school who had admissions in US but their parents forced to write NECO they didnt read just wrote rubbish like me did -that accounts for the failure though i can guess i got 5 credits cause am giood at school  wink while some of my mates didnt write but they registeres
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 21, 2010
Expo,orii-jo,arrangee,eegun,fatai,blocking  were exported from the past to the present day. . .why do they exist if truly the standard of education in those days was truly standard ?
texazzpete:

I wish i could take a screenshot of my Facebook profile for you, see the terrible grammar some of my acquaintances are using. And more often than not, it's the younger ones that are this poor.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Mobinga: 10:23pm On Sep 21, 2010
Okay i wrote NECO too
[b]I would not check cause i get i didnt perform well
It doesnt matter to me as i wrote and passed WAEC in Flying Colors
I knew already i would passed WAEC so i didnt even read for NECO[/b]I Didnt wanted to Write NECO but my parents wouldnt agree i had to write anyway
And with my WAEC combined with my JAMB combined with my SAT i had admissions in Nigeria and in Turkey

So Zap NECO it is Useless
There are so many of people like me in my school who had admissions in US but their parents forced to write NECO they didnt read just wrote rubbish like me did -that accounts for the failure though i can guess i got 5 credits cause am giood at school while some of my mates didnt write but they registeres

Wow!! With this kind of writing skill??
Nigeria is really doomed!!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-517445.0.html
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by xterra2(m): 10:35pm On Sep 21, 2010
Mobinga:

I knew someone would comment and here you are
Am typing fast on my android tablet am in a Wi-Fi Zone and would soon go out
If you would buy me MTN fastlink or iZap fine or Shut the Bleep Up Retard

Anyway,what you said is not relevant to the topic
See how the failure figure is arriveddddd at
not that everybody is like that but um,

If Nigeria is doomed this is a Nigerian Forum and you are Talking to Nigerians then leave the "doomed" people alone and go somewhere else
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Felixv: 10:37pm On Sep 21, 2010
@xterra2

take it easy, typing too fast is an act,

lol
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by xterra2(m): 10:38pm On Sep 21, 2010
^^^ Let me continue and ohh there is no gbagaun in the part of my post which you bolded please go and sleep it seems you need it not looking for trouble here
Google "white noises" download and play the sounds it would make you sleep
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by xterra2(m): 10:39pm On Sep 21, 2010
I meant the ^^ for my post quoting Mobinga
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by xterra2(m): 10:43pm On Sep 21, 2010
Mobinga:

I just checked the link why the Hell did you give me that ? angry I said that i was not going to check

Now it seems that its you that dont know English After all grin
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Gamine(f): 10:56pm On Sep 21, 2010
Maybe the students are just tired of cramming all that stuff
Maybe they actually want to learn something relevant to todays world

We need a new Education system.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Mobinga: 11:11pm On Sep 21, 2010
xterra2:

I knew someone would comment and here you are
Am typing fast on my android tablet am in a Wi-Fi Zone and would soon go out
If you would buy me MTN fastlink or iZap fine or Shut the bleep Up Retard

Anyway,what you said is not relevant to the topic
See how the failure figure is arriveddddd at
not that everybody is like that but um,

If Nigeria is doomed this is a Nigerian Forum and you are Talking to Nigerians then leave the "doomed" people alone and go somewhere else

Hey listen kid, don't be too fast to click the reply button, think before you respond. And don't go around the forum laying insults everywhere. Think, Don't be a lunatic
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Nobody: 11:13pm On Sep 21, 2010
Gamine:

Maybe the students are just tired of cramming all that stuff
Maybe they actually what to learn something relevant to today's world

We need a new Education system.

Now you've made a good point. In fact these results show that the present system is wasteful and inefficient.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by hackney(m): 11:16pm On Sep 21, 2010
I knew it! ! The youths are getting more and more dumb (dumber and dumberer ; dude where's my car? Duh! uh-oh!)
grin grin grin

What with the way tenses are jumbled up here and in nigeria by almost everybody you run into.
Of course they will fail english en masse.

Yeye poultry.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Kilode1: 11:35pm On Sep 21, 2010
Na only Neco? undecided

Nigerian Politicians = Mass Failures

Nigerian Government = Mass Failure

Nigerian Social Services = Mass Failure

Nigerian Police = Mass Failure

Nigerian terrorists = Mass Failure (Mutallab failed to blow up)

Nigerian Justice system = Mass failure

Nigeria Football = Mass Failure

I'm still hopeful though, we can always retake. . .
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by oludunamis(m): 11:45pm On Sep 21, 2010
Interesting post, some interesting contributions. I guess we should all try and see a trend here, RETROGRESSION in every sphere of life in Nigeria, I rember in those days (1993) when I finshed from secondary school, big brothers that finshed 5-10 before then argued that there education standard was much better, with A-levels etc in their time.

Now its 17yrs after we continue to see a downward trend, nothing has been done to reverse the trend, we can all argue from now till forever, in another 10yrs, if there is no paradigm shift in our society, I will not be surprised if we have maths professors who cannot solve simple first level differential equation

Here is the trend I observed:

1970-1977 (My parents time)
The moral value is hardwork, pass your O and A levels and get into univ by merit
If you can pass or are not priviledged to attempt the exams, there was a host of carry options to follow
Everyone didnt need to go to university, it was not the end of their life
There was very little corruptio within the educational sector

1988 -1993 (My time in secondary school)
No more A levels
Quality of teaching staff in most public schools only average
Some teachers were very good, some were appaling
I would say 50-70% (my own opinion) believed in hardwork
We were prepared to deny ourselves and work hard to pass jamb and waec to attend to Univs
I met many colleagues in univ, they bought their results clearly, some of them could not make it past year 2
At univ, we also had a mix of extrmely quailified profs and half baked junior lecturers, who only got a spot in university academia, just because the brilliant grad had gone chasing bank/oil industry jobs
We studied and understood thermodynamics and fluid dynamics better than some of those lecturers
High level of exam malpractises has already pervaded our society at all levels

2000 - till date

Just multiply all the points above by a retrogrssion factor of at least 0.5, and shat reflects how bad things have become, again this is only my opinion

Can we all see a trend? Is not enough to blame these students, its got to be a comibiantion of:

1.Degradation of our societal values (ongoing) we worship flamboyant lifestyle irrespective of how people made theor money
2. We celebrate ignoance and mediocrity at all levels you can think of
3. Most role models in the society are extremely corrupt, a god example is the revealation of the bank chiefs, these are people that have won awards and accolades and are role models for many in business and career, dont even mention politicians
4. One of the most sung music, is about 419 lifestyle, (yahooze)
5. I am also to be blamed, ask yourself this questions, how many have I mentored to follow the path of hard work, diligence and excellence, how much have I given back to the system I passed through
6. Government, ofcourse the most obvious one, pathetic, they have failed us at every level, education is only one of them
7. Parents, you cant give what you dont have, if you bought your waec results, you are likely to pay for your kid to buy even better grades than you bought, its gabbage in gabage out, Link point 7 back to point 1, its a vicious cycle

Let us all think of 1 thing we can do differently to help the situation, I know what I'll to to contribute to change, God help me to do it

I am not a happy man

Peace
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by kcjazz(m): 1:41am On Sep 22, 2010
@Texxapette you are very correct. The system is broken

We need a sovereign national conference on our educational system. We need a leader and parent/community have to step their game up
Our curriculum needs a complete overhaul
6334 system has to be abolished
Teacher Training Colleges have to be strictly for teachers at heart not for people who can't get into a University
The Gifted school program has to be resuscitated

NYSC should be restructured or disbanded

I am saddened by this development, its really time for serious actions
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by elrony(m): 2:34am On Sep 22, 2010
stop screeching, hold the FG responsible, how would the students do well when, the govt have refused to invest in the future of its citizens,

how will a child learn under the tree and you xpect them to do well

those who learn in classrooms do not have adequate equipments to praticalise the theory

how do we excpect to see "YET AGAIN STUDENTS OVERWALK NECO AND WAEC IN FLYING COLOURS when the govt is "addicted in electoral matters", "the stupors in the nat.assembly will neva see the need to pass a bill on education rehabilitation"

i simply blame the govt and NECO , little blame on the students,

check out university, "no runs no admission'' + ethnicity
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by seedord247(m): 3:41am On Sep 22, 2010
I don;t think the Gov't Should be hold responsible for this,I Think this thing should be solve within the parent and the teacher. During school hour most of this girls in HS will be walking up and down street, as them wat are they doing outside by this time they will tell you Mr KOKO send them to beer parlour and %70 of this girls have been Dis-Virgin by this so call Foolish Teachers and most of this HS Boys will be CAFE(Yahooooo Yahooo) during school hour.

I will like to ask Question, Does Nigeria Union Of Teachers still function?
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 7:34am On Sep 22, 2010
MR Money £:

I continue to wonder,  these young boys and girls what do they now think with their  coco yam heads?  Because I remebered
when we were writing WAEC, we faced it as if our life depended on it

Err, bruv, this is what some of them are doing with their time:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-472748.32.html#msg6790000

And writing in that annoying textEnglish.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 7:41am On Sep 22, 2010
OlowoTee:

these days, there are so many distractions for these young people, and strictly speaking who are we to blame them for the mass failure in WAEC/NECO exams? Distractions in the home, , especially on TV screen we've got Maltina Family Dance Hall, Naija Sings, Great Talent Hunt Show, Who want to be a Millionaire, Project Fame, Peak Talent Show,  West African Idol, Nigeria Idol etc. (all promoting music!) [s]as if music is the only talent that we've got in here!!![/s]. I tell you most of these programs are not helpful, smiley

I keep on saying it, governments need to regulate proportion of programme types on TV.

Jersey Shores, Gossip Girls, Hollyoaks, My Sweet 16, The Hills, Beverly Hills 90210 etc. [RETCHES]

F freedom!!! angry
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by unclebros: 7:42am On Sep 22, 2010
This is a big shame and its a national disaster, these are the workforce for the future of Nigeria, na wah oooh. I went to public school all my life and am proud it.
I finished with straight 8A's only my further mathematics result was withheld (I must have scored 101% cheesy)

During our days, we used to stay behind after school hours to study and go home around 5pm. In fact, when i was in SS2 i did WAEC (the last one for Lagos state) in 1990 and came out with 2As and credits (mind you i was yet to read through the syllabus then!)

By the time we were preparing for SSGCE in my SS3 we were full of confidence because we knew we had adequately prepared for the exams and we all came out in super flying colours.

Our teachers made sure we completed the syllabus even at their cost of organizing extra lectures for us at no extra cost! Do we still have such teachers in public schools? Teachers like Mrs Nwankwo (English) Mrs Okobi (Mathematics) etc,

Our educational and value system in this country has fallen and we must rebuild it.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by abes(m): 8:08am On Sep 22, 2010
You guys need to see the movie 'IDIOCRACY' to have a clue where we are headed cry cry cry
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Kilode1: 8:10am On Sep 22, 2010
Sagamite:

Err, bruv, this is what some of them are doing with their time:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-472748.32.html#msg6790000

And writing in that annoying textEnglish.

Sign me up to fight against that one.

It annoys me so much, I slap myself whenever I write it. grin  angry
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by bidemi12(m): 8:30am On Sep 22, 2010
and in another topic some fools are trying to tell me that a lot of good things are happening in Nigeria. good things my foot.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 8:39am On Sep 22, 2010
Kilode?!:

Sign me up to fight against that one.

It annoys me so much, I slap myself whenever I write it. grin  angry

Gaadamit!

One of the things that gets my decrepit blood boiling on NL when I see people like Ranosky doing it.

It is okay to use txtEng (that is how the perpetrators themselves will write it lol) for 1 or max 2 sentences.

But when you are writing 3 paragraphs full of textEnglish, it just shows poor education and/or immense mental laziness. angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

List Of Political Parties In Nigeria / Some Quotes From Nnamdi Kanu (director Of Radio Biafra) / Abbah Kyari & Nigerian High Commission: Presidency Replies Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.