Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,504 members, 7,854,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 11:32 AM

Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again (14863 Views)

Anambra Scores Highest In NECO Exams. Records Almost 80% In 2015 Exams. / Lack Of Textbooks Causes Mass Failure In Neco Exams -ubeb Official / Emir Blames Failure In Neco On English Premier League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 22, 2010
~Bluetooth:

.You don't need sophisticated English to communicate as an engineer or whatsoever,your ability to converse in a form that your clients understand is what i'm talking about.
In fact it is vital that the practising engineer or scientist has VERY GOOD communication skills as these are fields where precision and rigour are fundamental.
How else would he be able to get his ideas across to management and clients?
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Kobojunkie: 5:40pm On Sep 22, 2010
Gamine:

We care too much about what others are doing. How about we actually start something of our own.

It is a problem that children have no idea why they are being taught certain things. English should be an option.

No.

LOL.

No what? You came up with the ROOT OF PROBLEM argument and I am wondering why English is being put on the cutting table.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Gamine(f): 5:49pm On Sep 22, 2010
Kobojunkie:

No what? You came up with the ROOT OF PROBLEM argument and I am wondering why English is being put on the cutting table.

My argument has always been that the present system should be done away with (Root of the Problem! ha) cheesy

My take on English and Grammar only came up when that became the subject of discussion.
and I wondered if that could be used as a true measurement of 'Education'
There are too many people changing lives and making waves who can hardly speak English
Hence! my alarm.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 5:53pm On Sep 22, 2010
Gamine:

It is a problem that children have no idea why they are being taught certain things. English should be an option.

Option out of what menu list?

Be expansive, a lot of people are not understanding you.

Give a high-level view of your innovative new framework.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by seanet02: 6:02pm On Sep 22, 2010
in a country where have seen a former Minister of Education takes to lavishing of over a hundred million naira to celebrate his Marriage Anniversary when the Universties are on a Srtike, where the Ministry of National Planning did not even know the number of new kids born in the country not to even talk of presenting a detailed Future Plan for The Educational sector to the Ministry of Education, a country where you can buy a Degree cert. with either your cash or body (if you are a RED HOT LADY) what do you expect than Mass failure in even simple ABC competition , only God can save this country
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Kobojunkie: 6:06pm On Sep 22, 2010
Gamine:

My argument has always been that the present system should be done away with (Root of the Problem! ha) cheesy

My take on English and Grammar only came up when that became the subject of discussion.
and I wondered if that could be used as a true measurement of 'Education'
There are too many people changing lives and making waves who can hardly speak English
Hence! my alarm.

So because A HANDFUL of people who you claim to be making waves and changing lives can hardly speak English, English should be done away with or made an option?  shocked shocked

This conversation we are having here would probably not have been possible if we did not have a common language, in this case English, to converse in. Why is the COMMON Language even a problem? What is the alternative? People having to learn the language of each of every person out there they meet in other to communicate in any way with em effectively?
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by bawomolo(m): 6:07pm On Sep 22, 2010
To hell with the so-called "liberals", "free-spirits" and "open-minded icons" that want uncontrolled societal institutions.

what concern us with neco result. leave us alone man grin
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Gamine(f): 6:08pm On Sep 22, 2010
Sagamite:

Option out of what menu list?

Be expansive, a lot of people are not understanding you.

Give a high-level view of your innovative new framework.

Spare me.

Ah I only got D in English oh.

People should be taught as genuinely as possible in the ways they understand.
If English has to be one of the subjects, all well and good. People should be nurtured to succeed at whatever they do
but, Depth or Quality of Education shouldn't be hung on English.

Kobojunkie:

So because A HANDFUL of people who you claim to be making waves and changing lives can hardly speak English, English should be done away with or made an option?  shocked shocked

This conversation we are having here would probably not have been possible if we did not have a common language, in this case English, to converse in. Why is the COMMON Language even a problem? What is the other option?

Oh because a HANDFUL of us can communicate in English here, what happens to those that are stuck at Pidgin?
they should be seen as 'Uneducated' 'Useless' perhaps because they can't.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Odunnu: 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2010
Sagamite:

[Looks at her like "Whadda . . . ."]

[size=14pt]NO 1[/size], shawtie!
Now,don't scare me.
Are u saying its not a memory loss I suffer, but that I have absolutely no memory?
Hope Tkb, Elrazur, Honeric, Candylips, Violent, Chamotex and Slap1 dont get to hearread this. I'v told them they are no1 at different times.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by bawomolo(m): 6:16pm On Sep 22, 2010
Odunnu:

Now,don't scare me.
Are u saying its not a memory loss I suffer, but that I have absolutely no memory?
Hope Tkb, Elrazur, Honeric, Candylips, Violent, Chamotex and Slap1 dont get to hearread this. I'v told them they are no1 at different times.

Mess love.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Odunnu: 6:21pm On Sep 22, 2010
Wetin?
U still dey 'awaiting consideration' list
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by texazzpete(m): 6:24pm On Sep 22, 2010
Gamine:

People should be taught as genuinely as possible in the ways they understand.
If English has to be one of the subjects, all well and good. People should be nurtured to succeed at whatever they do

Exactly. 'In the ways they understand'.
People do not need to go to University to succeed in Life. However for those who want to go to University, there is a benchmark in place to ensure that those who want to go that route should have the necessary basic communication skills.
Universities should cater to the lowest common denominator. Emphasis on COMMON. and one thing we have in common is our national language: English.

So those who cannot speak English can be nurtured in other career paths where their deficiency in that regard will not serve as a hindrance to others.

Gamine:

Oh because a HANDFUL of us can communicate in English here, what happens to those that are stuck at Pidgin?

Before you get to the University stage, you must first have completed your Primary and Secondary education. If after that you still are 'stuck in Pidgin', then it's not the fault of NECO, WAEC or NUC if you can't scale that benchmark.
for Intelligent people shortchanged by a poor educational system, determination usually sees most of them through. That's why you hear stories of people putting themselves through Night school just to learn to read and write properly.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 6:25pm On Sep 22, 2010
bawomolo:

what concern us with neco result.  leave us alone man  grin

Eh ehn!

See dem dey crawl out.  tongue

Al zose zat are ziz disgraseful liberals vhen ve takes over ze guvernment vuld be sent to a konsentration kamp, Hier Hitler!!! -
SS Oberstgruppenfurher of ze Sagamu Branch of ze Kommunist Party of Nigeria  grin
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by MShittu: 6:27pm On Sep 22, 2010
Nigerians are, generally, intelligent people. It is absolutely shameful that we should have such failures in our educational system.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 6:28pm On Sep 22, 2010
Odunnu:

Now,don't scare me.

See all the ashewos you are listing.

Please come to a faithful, god-fearing, up-standing, innocent, respectful, friendliest member of society like me.  grin
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Kobojunkie: 6:30pm On Sep 22, 2010
Gamine:

The main here is ability to communicate. If one can effectively communicate ideas to one's audience, then fine. Now different organizations and institutions have different requirements. If you want to stay with Pidgin, and probably never go as far as University level or even out of your village/state, rock on!

I remember working a couple of years ago as a Walmart Cashier, I never really appreciated the need for a common language until the day I encountered Customer from Japan. Spoke NO ENGLISH and had the guts to be furious with me for not understanding him and whatever it was he was going on and on about. I was close to giving the man a piece of my mind on why it is necessary that we all adopt a common language, but my manager showed up and another customer who happened to be a japanese came in.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by bawomolo(m): 6:31pm On Sep 22, 2010
MShittu:

Nigerians are, generally, intelligent people. It is absolutely shameful that we should have such failures in our educational system.

i believe this is a statement we make to make ourselves feel good. We promote guys like wole soyinka and chinua achebe but forget about the millions who were left behind.  The rot in the Nigerian educational system didn't just started in the new millennium but a result of decades of neglect.    The few that have made it gives us the false illusion that we are generally intelligent.

Quack programs like the PTF have done nothing to reverse this rot.

Sagamite:

Eh ehn!

See dem dey crawl out.  tongue

Al zose zat are ziz disgraseful liberals vhen ve takes over ze guvernment vuld be sent to a konsentration kamp, Hier Hitler!!! -
SS Oberstgruppenfurher of ze Sagamu Branch of ze Kommunist Party of Nigeria  grin

Ha ha, haters gonna hate.  

watch out, we would soon have our annual liberal, secularist, free-thinker, sex fiend conference in sagamu.

we would have the reception in your oba's palace  grin
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Odunnu: 6:33pm On Sep 22, 2010
You are all making points here but the unfortunate thing is that those who should make make instant use of these points are in the Education section of NL seeking for who would upgrade their scores to enhance their admission into schools.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 6:34pm On Sep 22, 2010
bawomolo:

watch out, we would soon have our annual liberal, secularist, free-thinker, sex fiend conference in sagamu.

we would have the reception in your oba's palace  grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oloshi! LWKMD.

You almost got me choking on my orange. grin
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Kobojunkie: 6:35pm On Sep 22, 2010
MShittu:

[size=15pt]Nigerians are, generally, intelligent people. [/size] It is absolutely shameful that we should have such failures in our educational system.

bawomolo:

i believe this is a statement we make to make ourselves feel good. [size=14pt]We promote guys like wole soyinka and chinua achebe but forget about the millions who were left behind[/size].  The rot in the Nigerian educational system didn't just started in the new millennium but a result of decades of neglect.    The few that have made it gives us the false illusion that we are generally intelligent.

Quack programs like the PTF have done nothing to reverse this rot.

we would have the reception in your oba's palace  grin

That is where it ends!
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by bawomolo(m): 6:35pm On Sep 22, 2010
Sagamite:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oloshi! LWKMD.

You almost got me choking on my orange.  grin

you forgot the best part.

BYOC (the C is left to your imagination  cheesy)

Kobojunkie:

That is where it ends!

but but we are the giant of africa
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Kobojunkie: 6:37pm On Sep 22, 2010
Giant . . . . no let me continue . . . lol
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Odunnu: 6:39pm On Sep 22, 2010
Sagamite:

See all the ashewos you are listing.

Please come to a faithful, god-fearing, up-standing, innocent, respectful, friendliest member of society like me.  grin
I loff them ashewos. I'l hate to be stuck for life with man of such great vice virtue as you have
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 6:42pm On Sep 22, 2010
bawomolo:

you forgot the best part.

BYOC (the C is left to your imagination  cheesy)

Of course that is the best part.

Me and my Sagamu fellow illiterates will practice BYOC (Bring Your Own Cutlass), I no share mine when we begin dey maruadingly slice you god-forsaken sinners.  grin
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 6:44pm On Sep 22, 2010
Odunnu:

I loff them ashewos. I'l hate to be stuck for life with man of such great vice virtue as you have

Ok o.

You are young, you need dem bad boys and will ignore noble good boys like me.

I will wait till you wan marry and dem don damage that heart. tongue
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Odunnu: 6:49pm On Sep 22, 2010
Now would you please revert to being husband number infinity against your self imposed and acclaimed number 1?
Thank you.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 6:52pm On Sep 22, 2010
Odunnu:

Now would you please revert to being husband number infinity against your self imposed and acclaimed number 1?
Thank you.

Me, number infinity?

Me? Sagamite aka "Balogun leyin obinrin" aka "Hot boy" aka "I'ma flirt" aka "Hold on to your chic" aka "Dutty talker" aka "Prof of womantology" aka[i] "I'ma hit that"[/i] aka "Juice lover" aka "She wants it" aka "Mo baaad gan" aka "Professional ashewo" aka "No waste time" aka "Naughty teddybear" aka "I'ma hit that" aka "funminigoodstuffjor" aka[i] "How do you wanit?"[/i] aka "Mo ni issues"?

Ah, you are now divorced and I am not giving you half.  tongue grin
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by bawomolo(m): 6:57pm On Sep 22, 2010
Sagamite:

Of course that is the best part.

Me and my Sagamu fellow illiterates will practice BYOC (Bring Your Own Cutlass), I no share mine when we begin dey maruadingly slice you god-forsaken sinners.  grin

we shall shake sagamu by force.
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 7:03pm On Sep 22, 2010
bawomolo:

we shall shake sagamu by force.

AH! Omo, TIA - This Is Africa  grin grin grin grin grin

Actors

Outcomes

[img]http://iprcast.files./2008/05/_44667723_burnt_afp466.jpg[/img]

Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Sagamite(m): 7:04pm On Sep 22, 2010
Chei, Africa!!! [Shakes head] grin
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by bawomolo(m): 7:16pm On Sep 22, 2010
he he,see bloody face
Re: Mass Failure In Neco Exams Again by Gamine(f): 7:18pm On Sep 22, 2010
texazzpete:

Exactly. 'In the ways they understand'.
People do not need to go to University to succeed in Life. However for those who want to go to University, there is a benchmark in place to ensure that those who want to go that route should have the necessary basic communication skills.

Universities should cater to the lowest common denominator. Emphasis on COMMON. and one thing we have in common is our national language: English.

So those who cannot speak English can be nurtured in other career paths where their deficiency in that regard will not serve as a hindrance to others.

Before you get to the University stage, you must first have completed your Primary and Secondary education. If after that you still are 'stuck in Pidgin', then it's not the fault of NECO, WAEC or NUC if you can't scale that benchmark.
for Intelligent people shortchanged by a poor educational system, determination usually sees most of them through. That's why you hear stories of people putting themselves through Night school just to learn to read and write properly.

Seen.

The system you talk about, is what is wrong (along with all the so-called benchmarks) If things have only gotten worse on the back of these, I don't know why it's so difficult to see that there should be something different in place.
I honestly can't say it was schooling in this system that taught me English.

Kobojunkie:

The main here is ability to communicate. If one can effectively communicate ideas to one's audience, then fine. Now different organizations and institutions have different requirements. If you want to stay with Pidgin, and probably never go as far as University level or even out of your village/state, rock on!

I remember working a couple of years ago as a Walmart Cashier, I never really appreciated the need for a common language until the day I encountered Customer from Japan. Spoke NO ENGLISH and had the guts to be furious with me for not understanding him and whatever it was he was going on and on about. I was close to giving the man a piece of my mind on why it is necessary that we all adopt a common language, but my manager showed up and another customer who happened to be a japanese came in.

So it goes International. . .The key to development/change would be to have the world speak a common language (Anyways topic for another day)

For now,

Mass Failure Continua!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

APC Governors Meet Buhari On Ministerial Nominees Tuesday / Buhari Receives Emir Of Yobe And His Delegates In Abuja(photos) / Funny Indeed: New Meaning Of Buhari In The Oxford Dictionary [must Read]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.