Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,698 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him - Literature (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him (76072 Views)

Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Wole Soyinka Reacts To Wedding Of His Son, Oretunlewa And Nneka Ekechukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 5:34pm On May 09, 2019
kunmiiii:

Una see wetin I dey talk...how person wan even start dey engage this one when it's obvious she needs twice the brains to even qualify for an half wit grin

So you've read almost 13 pages of different opinions and you still couldn't garner from the diverse train of thoughts that Reno's notion was hinged on the fact that Chinua's works were easily understood which isn't the criterion for winning a Nobel or just being a novelist.

You had the right to remain silent, but you just couldn't help but prove me right, that you're irredeemably dense. grin grin abeg e don do! Stop proving me right biko!!
Bros, abeg.
It's okay.
Eda kun!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by vicadex07(m): 6:35pm On May 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

A Nobel prize prisoner
Chinua achebe is true to his pen while soyinka is more of politics.

Yeah...mock Soyinka for supporting biafra...that's typical of your people. Anyone who supported your biafra ended up being in trouble.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Opiletool(m): 7:12pm On May 09, 2019
aribisala0:
The only thing Achebe has is he was the first.

He is average.
I do not agree that we was a master storyteller or that literature is about storytelling.
He was an average storyteller.

JK Rowling.James Hadley Chase,Robert Ludlum are great storytellers.
That is not what literary prizes are for
You are right,there are many many African writers and indeed Nigerians who are way better but he was the first and must be respected for that.
As a poet he was nothing to write home about especially when we consider Christopher Okigbo,Gabriel Okara,Okogbule Wonodi etc
|He should be compared with Ben Okri though and not Soyinka who is more of a playwright than a novelist .

Although, I enjoyed Things Fall Apart, but, I'd pick Ngugi Wa Thiongo over Achebe.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Opiletool(m): 7:12pm On May 09, 2019
aribisala0:
The only thing Achebe has is he was the first.

He is average.
I do not agree that we was a master storyteller or that literature is about storytelling.
He was an average storyteller.

JK Rowling.James Hadley Chase,Robert Ludlum are great storytellers.
That is not what literary prizes are for
You are right,there are many many African writers and indeed Nigerians who are way better but he was the first and must be respected for that.
As a poet he was nothing to write home about especially when we consider Christopher Okigbo,Gabriel Okara,Okogbule Wonodi etc
|He should be compared with Ben Okri though and not Soyinka who is more of a playwright than a novelist .

Although, I enjoyed Things Fall Apart, but, I'd pick Ngugi Wa Thiongo over Achebe.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Opiletool(m): 7:27pm On May 09, 2019
Sanchez01:

The emboldened is a suicidal comparison. I read tons of John Milton's works way back as I did Shakespeares. Achebe can clearly be likened to Milton. Both focused on a genre while Shakespeare and Soyinka found a genre to be restrictive.

As good as Milton was with poetry, Shakespeare was referred to as a national poet and the 'Bard of Avon'. That tells a whole lot. It is only fair to compare writers who focus solely on one genre. Example: Frank AIG-Imokhuede vs J.P. Clarke or Niyi Osundare, etc.

Achebe and Soyinka's argument is like drawing comparisons between a fixed player vs a utility player in football. They are not even close by a mile. Whatever Achebe wrote in his prose world, Soyinka translated into the same genre and extended to the other two. Even his plays I saw alongside that of Ola Rotimi way back left me dazed.

You pick Soyinka's works to study and analyze only to start wondering what he was thinking when he wrote that particular work. Achebe is an amazing writer in his own right and his novel enjoyed more popularity than Soyinka's for several reasons. Sadly, comparing saying Achebe is better as far as literature is concerned is committing a literary Seppuku.

I could recall comparing WS's Abiku to J.P Clarke 's. I had to start thinking so deeply, asking myself what WS was thinking when writing the poem. That made me Google the year the poem was writing, and read that he was in prison at that time, denied access to paper and pen, and yet he wrote a collection of poem. That helped me understand the real meaning behind the poem.

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by AudiA4: 8:02pm On May 09, 2019
gare:

From your comments it's shows how myopic you are and are low your sense of reasoning is. He need some growing up to do.
And you that have good mature sense, I can see how daft it is, u feel u can just come here and type any nonsense all because u want to open your stupid mouth, get some sense into your head idiot
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by kayo80(m): 8:15pm On May 09, 2019
StOla:
Why do people fail to learn that literature is not about Prose alone.

The 3 genres of literature are Prose(Novel), Drama(Play), and Poetry.

While Soyinka ticks the box in all, Achebe ticks only the Prose box.

While Soyinka is an acclaimed Playwright and Poet, Achebe is an acclaimed Novelist.

Soyinka won the Nobel for the dual reason of Drama and Poetry, and this much reason was stated in his award justification, as the reason for all other awardees are stated.

So why are people comparing an apple to an orange when the award for best fruit was given to an orange on the basis that for that years consideration, the sweetest orange was the decider?

God bless you for this comment. This should end the argument once and for all.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 12:45am On May 10, 2019
Xisnin:

Soyinka's works are not for kids.

Weeeeeeeeeeeew!!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 12:56am On May 10, 2019
Piercy:
honestly speaking , I grew up reading chinua Achebe Cyprian ekwensi and wole Soyinka' s books , loved every bit 'em but mostly Achebe' s book somehow I felt he was able to communicate not just words but emotions kudos to this three great men of the literature world,thank you for making the childhood of an introvert so much fun.

Eeyah! introvert. Sorry ehn!
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 12:59am On May 10, 2019
Imo1stson:

Achebe is probably the greatest African writer of all times even though he never won the nobel. Soyinka is also one of the greatest in same rank.
Says YOU undecided

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 4:14am On May 10, 2019
StOla:
Why do people fail to learn that literature is not about Prose alone.

The 3 genres of literature are Prose(Novel), Drama(Play), and Poetry.

While Soyinka ticks the box in all, Achebe ticks only the Prose box.

While Soyinka is an acclaimed Playwright and Poet, Achebe is an acclaimed Novelist.

Soyinka won the Nobel for the dual reason of Drama and Poetry, and this much reason was stated in his award justification, as the reason for all other awardees are stated.

So why are people comparing an apple to an orange when the award for best fruit was given to an orange on the basis that for that years consideration, the sweetest orange was the decider?
Comment of the year. Awesome.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by nadiq1: 5:13am On May 10, 2019
dbrown:
Recall that Reno aimed a dig at Wole soyinka about who is better between Wole and Achebe.

See the reply her

Somebody should please translate that thing to English please

Chisos� Well deserved response! About time.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by maestroferddi: 6:17am On May 10, 2019
Elnida:

in terms of popularity,Achebes books were more popular especially Things fall apart, which could be understood normal everyday parlance.

But Soyinka is worshiped literally in the academic circle ,because his works were so deep and the use of words so cunning, that it will take one with vast academic prowess to decipher the true meaning of his works, there by making him unpopular in the local arena.

take for instance, Opera Wonyosi, I will advice u read that play if u haven't, cos that was the play we used as our final year production of the department of theatre and performing arts of ABU Zaria. Actualizing his works on stage,is the biggest factor, it took us weeks,some casts it took almost two moat to internalize their role and interpret it on stage. I was one of the major characters, Captain Mack the knife,but in the end it was worth it.

my verdict both are good, both u could relate much easier with Achebe than Soyinka. even Ola Rotimis works can be easily understood and can easily be translated on stage or film as the case may be. But if u want to challenge ur literally abilities ,choose Soyinkas works
You are not making sense...
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 7:28am On May 10, 2019
vicadex07:

Yeah...mock Soyinka for supporting biafra...that's typical of your people. Anyone who supported your biafra ended up being in trouble.

What am emotional reply.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Elnida: 8:49am On May 10, 2019
maestroferddi:
You are not making sense...

only the sensible will make sense out of my piece. thanks
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by vicadex07(m): 10:25am On May 10, 2019
Osagyefo98:

What am emotional reply.

Ijaw slavve, get off my mentions or you'll regret it
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by aribisala0(m): 11:41am On May 10, 2019
madjune:
I don't get that dig too.

Right from 1986 when he won that stuff, so many of us questioned the judgement at the time because all Soyinkas works were painted in verbose, high falutin words and prose meant to confuse you than unclutter your mind.

Achebe works stood out in their simplicity and direct messages to the issues of the times.

I support Reno on this.
what is Wole Soyinka's signature work that you have read? You say ALL his works are verbose, is that true of Trials of Brother Jero ?

By the way your above sentence is quite bombastic and verbose it really looks very unnatural.

"I don't get that dig..." Please translate
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 12:15pm On May 10, 2019
vicadex07:

Ijaw slavve, get off my mentions or you'll regret it

Still on it, what an emotional reply.

Your reply was too emotional but is never our. Fault though.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by vicadex07(m): 1:52pm On May 10, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Still on it, what an emotional reply.
Your reply was too emotional but is never our. Fault though.
lol... you're just a senseless troll
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 10, 2019
vicadex07:

lol... you're just a senseless troll
quite emotional again.
just stop please
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by madjune(m): 2:22pm On May 10, 2019
aribisala0:
what is Wole Soyinka's signature work that you have read? You say ALL his works are verbose, is that true of Trials of Brother Jero ?

By the way your above sentence is quite bombastic and verbose it really looks very unnatural.

"I don't get that dig..." Please translate

Simply, i don't get that dig means i don't share the laureate committee judgment in giving him that award.

I've read lots of works by him.
A true artist or writer obeys the first rules of simplicity of purpose and clarity in communication.

So many readers of his works always come away confused, rather than informed or entertained at the page's end.

The marvel at his prowess lies more on,
"How could someone befuddle the mind with so much huge grammar within so short lines?"

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by vicadex07(m): 2:26pm On May 10, 2019
Osagyefo98:

quite emotional again.
just stop please
What is it with you and that word "emotional" ?
You keep on repeating it endlessly like a lady on her period. Are you gay
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by aribisala0(m): 2:33pm On May 10, 2019
madjune:

Simply, i don't get that dig means i don't share the laureate committee judgment in giving him that award.

A true artist or writer obeys the first rules of simplicity of purpose and clarity in communication.

So many readers of his works always come away confused, rather than informed or entertained at the page's end.

"How could someone befuddle the mind with so much huge grammar within so short lines?"
I guess you are using the word dig in an idiosyncratic way.

Can you name just ONE of his works that you have read.JUST ONE please
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 3:12pm On May 10, 2019
vicadex07:

What is it with you and that word "emotional" ?

You keep on repeating it endlessly like a lady on her period. Are you gay

Still emotional, can u just stop...

Just stop....is really pressing.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by madjune(m): 3:38pm On May 10, 2019
aribisala0:

I guess you are using the word dig in an idiosyncratic way.

Can you name just ONE of his works that you have read.JUST ONE please

I've read lots.

" From Zia with love...a scourge of hyacinths" is one.

Even from the title, there's a hint of a predilection for the verbiose and complexity in semantics.

Must everyone be really up there academically to enjoy his works?
I remember reading, understanding and cherishing Chinua Achebe works right from primary 5 with my infantile mind.

A good writer makes his message and prose style readily accessible to all cadre of readers, so far as you can read the word...and so far as the truth has come to you.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by aribisala0(m): 3:42pm On May 10, 2019
madjune:

I've read lots.

" From Zia with love...a scourge of hyacinths" is one.

Even from the title, there's a hint of a predilection for the verbiose and complexity in semantics.

Must everyone be really up there academically to enjoy his works?
I remember reading, understanding and cherishing Chinua Achebe works right from primary 5 with my infantile mind.

A good writer makes his message and prose style readily accessible to all cadre of readers, so far as you can read the word...and so far as the truth has come to you.
I see ,now I understand you
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 10, 2019
Noel1:

Eeyah! introvert. Sorry ehn!

nah it wasn't that bad lol I had enough time for me ,something that has made me respect the emotions and expressions of others today.
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by maestroferddi: 5:34pm On May 10, 2019
Elnida:

only the sensible will make sense out of my piece. thanks
Your piece is crap...

You don't know jack about literary appreciation and yet you are sounding off with snippets of jejune postulations.

Now take a hike!
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Johnboom: 9:58pm On May 10, 2019
makinson2865:
Big big grammar everywhere...
Back to the topic, let remove gods are not to blamed by chinua achebe(of blessed memory) and let's see if he will be relevant .I think the answer is capital No.
Wole omo soyinka is the real deal from here to the whole world.

Igbo pls take heart ,dont kill yourself for yoruba matter.
He was not the author of "gods are not to blamed".
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Sanchez01: 11:10pm On May 10, 2019
madjune:

At the emboldened, where did you get that nonsense from?

/you clearly have no idea of this subject matter. Do well to acquaint yourself with Literature and social classes in different centuries. Wole Soyinka's works are not for everyone. Unlike other writers who opted for simpler diction, and adopted them all through their works, Soyinka stayed through to his style and diction even though many found it convenient. Many would choose to go to the movies over an Opera because they consider the latter to be very boring while those at the top of the social chain would opt for the latter. That's class and taste rolled into one.

Soyinka's works will never appeal to those with common minds. I'd advise you see the movie 'The Professor and the Madman' and then take up a short work of Soyinka after that to read or study.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by vicadex07(m): 12:15am On May 11, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Still emotional, can u just stop...
Just stop....is really pressing.

Can you please stop menstrauting all over the thread pls
Re: Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him by Elnida: 12:08pm On May 11, 2019
maestroferddi:
Your piece is crap...

You don't know jack about literary appreciation and yet you are sounding off with snippets of jejune postulations.

Now take a hike!

Dude take ur frustration elsewhere. u must not impugn my person to pass ur vague point.
if u wish to criticize, do it constructively. Sadist everywhere. Gosh

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Mending Fences (romance) / PEMISIRE: ....a man's destiny / These 5 Books Helped Me The Most In Life. Let Me See Yours. By Ilegend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.