Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,341 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch (14419 Views)

Nigerians React To Ambode's Absence From Buhari's Ministerial List / Lagos APC Links Osinbajo, Oshiomhole, Others To Ambode’s Property, N50M Bribery / Nigerians React To Ambode's Press Conference, And Tinubu Endorsing Sanwo-Olu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by References: 5:10am On May 11, 2019
About two weeks after the Lagos State House of Assembly passed the 2019 budget, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode has yet to receive it, Saturday PUNCH has learnt.

Our correspondent gathered that the Assembly might be awaiting May 29 when the governor-elect, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, would be sworn into office.

A source told our correspondent that government projects had been stalled due to the impasse.

He accused the lawmakers of playing politics with the development of the state.

He said, “They just refused to pass it to the governor because they want to play politics with the budget. Most of the people in the Assembly are loyal to one man and he appears to be dictating to them.

“But what more do they want to do to Ambode? They have humiliated him, denied him his return ticket, and even threatened to impeach him. What has he done to deserve all that?

“What they failed to realise is that this is beyond Ambode. It is about Lagos State. It is about governance. Since they took this decision not to pass the budget to him, things have been at a standstill. No development; nothing. This is wrong at all levels because people’s lives are being held.”

However, another government source said while the Assembly might have certain reasons for not passing the bill to the governor, the law permits Ambode to spend a certain percentage of the previous year budget.

She said, “It is true that the budget has not been transmitted to the governor. But their reason is immaterial. Whatever they like they can do. The law allows the governor to spend a certain amount of last year’s budget pending the time the new budget would be ready. The governor will do his best within the time available.”

Controversies have trailed the budget since 2018 when the governor was accused of breaking the tradition of sending the budget to the Assembly before the fiscal year.

The Ambode administration had said it sent the budget to the Assembly early, but the lawmakers went on a break and could not sit over it in December 2018.

Early 2019, the Assembly had issued an impeachment threat to the governor for allegedly spending from the budget when it had not been passed.

After protests and public demonstrations, the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, Bola Tinubu, and some party stalwarts called the lawmakers and the governor into a meeting, where the matter was reportedly resolved.

On April 29, the Assembly passed the N873.532bn budget, more than 80 days after the governor eventually presented it.

Despite the widely-publicised reconciliation, the relationship of the governor with the Assembly members has not been cordial, according to reports.

The state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Kehinde Bamigbetan, said he could not tell if the budget had been passed to the governor or not.
He promised to call back after making enquiries.

Bamigbetan had yet to get back to our correspondent as of the time of filing this report.

The four telephone numbers on the official website of the Assembly either indicated switched off or not reachable when our correspondent called them.

The Deputy Speaker, Wasiu Sanni, and member, Adebayo Famakinwa, did not take their calls or respond to text messages from our correspondent as of press time.

https://punchng.com/lagos-assembly-refuses-to-transfer-budget-to-ambode/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by abayole: 5:24am On May 11, 2019
FTC... since May 26, 2009 I joined NF, joined me and celebrate...

but actually I don't know what to comment about Ambode issue anymore, the guy should just manage it own affairs like a good manager...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by ablelin: 5:54am On May 11, 2019
Ambode should not expect the budget. They are not getting him. They are just waiting for the next governor who they are thinking would be more loyal. I don't even think they still regard Ambode as their governor. The guy should just get ready to vacate the position as soon as possible...

Do you want to learn to get motivated, learn about skills and strategies in business or academics, or you want to learn from the likes of Lee Yuan Kew, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Thomas Sankara, Robert Kiyosaki, you need counseling and guidance to success in life, or you want to take an introvert or IQ test, then visit here

14 Likes

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by hisexcellency34: 6:12am On May 11, 2019
They shouldn't pass the budget to him. Ambode will just loot the whole thing. What Has he done with the ones they have been passing to him? Look at the poor state of Lagos roads even in Alausa, the capital. Let's wait for Sanwo-Olu to come. By now Ambode should be busy packing his loads....

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by maxibee123(m): 6:12am On May 11, 2019
In as much as TINUBU is politically.... He should be very weary and careful about this ambode matter...

FOR EVERY ACTION...THERE'S ALWAYS A REACTION...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by abumoney(m): 6:12am On May 11, 2019
How that one take concern me? I de join dem chop the money?
Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by Nobody: 6:13am On May 11, 2019
Just wait and see how ipod fools will bring tinubus name into this issue

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by iammo(m): 6:13am On May 11, 2019
sad

Ambode almost made Tinubu regret backing him to suceed fashola as against other state big wigs wishes, but Tinubu was smart enough to step aside to the background, while Ambode and his wife began making enemies everywhere, from party members to lagos state chapel pastors and congregation, to Governing Advisery Commitee,to Poorest members of Lagos APC who feed on lastma petty contracts, he brought CP edghar his former classmate to arrest anybody even disgracing NURTW Lagos Boss and Parading him on the floor forgetting that when the Federal Power and Might headed By Obasanjo,Yaradua and Jonathan brought war to lagos it was this NURTW that fought blood for blood, the Dumb guy was even adviced to probe Fashola one of the key finacer of buhari's 2015 campaign, revealing billions spent on car park and millions on website stupidly forgeting he is painting the newly elected president in bad light.

Tinubu not wanting to betray Ambode his beloved protege and loyal Accountant General, and not wanting to betray The APC power bloc in Lagos, smartly opted for Direct primaries so as not to carry any blame and let each candidate test their street credibility

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by andysmith123(m): 6:14am On May 11, 2019
but this people wicked sha,after everything he did for them!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by hisgrace090: 6:15am On May 11, 2019
In a decent society this set of law makers should have been recalled since by the electorate.

Work with state fund, they'll hate you.

Share the fund and they'll love a and support you.

Who take money swear for naija?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by bamasite(m): 6:18am On May 11, 2019
maka y.

Well, they know better.

Get the best Bluetooth speaker everyone is talking about here:
https://www.nairaland.com/5170014/best-bluetooth-speaker-everyone-talking
Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by 9jayes: 6:18am On May 11, 2019
This werey above me go don like 1000s monika banned.

Anyway Ambode only has less than two months to spend in office what's the money for?

See my signature for your currency exchange

1 Like

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by Nobody: 6:19am On May 11, 2019
snrman:
The undesirable elements who are behind the promotion of hatred against the Ibos to the extent that no issue can float past without a mention of the Ibos, should know that the Ibos are here to stay. If you prefer them to disappear, recognize that you don't have that power.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by NaijaFutbol: 6:19am On May 11, 2019
Ambode, correct wife material!
Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by overall90: 6:20am On May 11, 2019
snrman:

i think you are the biggest FOOL to grace the universe for dragging IPOB into your stupid lagos politics and if i may i ask,who is the "one man" that the report claims the assembly members are loyal to and dictating for them?

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by helinues: 6:24am On May 11, 2019
Ok now
Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by omoteacher(m): 6:24am On May 11, 2019
shocked shocked shocked

Whenever they are enjoying the national cake/ mende-mende together they won't involve the public. When it goes south, they want the public to support them playing the victim's card. Ambode is made for life, only Karma fit judge him. I can't pity him, he doesn't know me neither do I know him also. I still wonder what they always discuss among themselves in that yeye Governors forum.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by thunder74(m): 6:26am On May 11, 2019
Ambode's candle stick was removed and replaced the very day his wife played God by removing the Pastor of the state Chapel. Unless his family repents, more woes and humiliation looming.
Though, he has good intentions but bad temperament and ego.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by Guyman02: 6:28am On May 11, 2019
We know now, it will be passed to Tinubu house as usual grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by tetralogyfallot(m): 6:29am On May 11, 2019
Ambode lost it the day he back down in d fight against Lagos gubernatorial tussle

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by Alamu1111: 6:30am On May 11, 2019
Just 18 days for him to leave the office

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by 004gist: 6:31am On May 11, 2019
Maybe they want to transfer it to tinubu
Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by SarkinYarki: 6:31am On May 11, 2019
After they warmed Ambode not to commission projects and he did I knew he will be further humiliated ..Ambode should leave Jagaban to his antics jare

1 Like

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by olatade(m): 6:33am On May 11, 2019
whenever ambode cries about been victimized, i immediately remember what he did to that pastor (though I'm a Muslim) and his family just because he felt his wife was disrespected, then i say to myself, serves you right ambo.

7 Likes

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by daroz(m): 6:36am On May 11, 2019
snrman:
For how long will this kind of thing continue?

1 Like

Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by Tolams16(m): 6:39am On May 11, 2019
Good morning guys, please help us visit this nairaland thread and ensure that it reaches front page, a lot of people have been scammed, millions have been carted away, help us move it to the front page so others will not fall victim. https://www.nairaland.com/5166806/vintage-services-crew-never-go
Re: Lagos State House of Assembly refuses to transfer budget to Ambode - Punch by solaugo1: 6:47am On May 11, 2019
Ok......days to go...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akintunde Akinwande Shuns Senate’s Screening For NERC Job / 114 Female IPOB Supporters Finally Regain Freedom / Ex-niger Delta Militants Threaten To Disrupt 2019 Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.