Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN (32748 Views)

Some Places With Stable Electricity In Nigeria - AfricaFactsZone / Magodo Residents Now Enjoy Stable Electricity After Signing An Agreement / 'Nigerians Have More Electricity Than They Can Consume' - Garba Shehu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by akaahs(m): 11:06am On May 16, 2019
If they didn’t put the wooden cross bar, what ll they be maintaining to syphon money?
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:08am On May 16, 2019
no excuse please. ..next
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by 5starMan: 11:09am On May 16, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
What exactly pdp maladministration did in those years the governed Nigeria.
who is this person?
The people are talking about the real problem facing them,you are here distracting them with politics and political parties.
If you don't want to move forward must you drag other people down?
I remember ending of 2014 and first few Months of 2015, people were enjoying power supply whose generation was 6000MW kudos to Prof Bath Nnaji.The transmission end was able to transmit likewise the discos.
But today,you hear generation capacity 7000MW,Transmission Capacity 5000MW,disctribution capacity 2MW,Wire capacity 1MW,House Capacity 0MW(darkness)
then you expect me to walk out of my house and shout,Sai Baba
Who is deceiving who??
You are only here to advocate for Buhari not for the plight of Nigerians.

4 Likes

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by MrBONE2(m): 11:10am On May 16, 2019
alizma:
I keep saying, distribute the prepaid meter to every house in Nigeria and you will see miracle happening in the power sector. The moment prepaid meter get to every home in Nigeria then the electricity distribution and use become real, fair business for both the seller and the user. The more you sell, the more profit you make. The more you pay, the more you can use. Tell me who will not want to make more profit in business?
Aside the fact that those countries have effective power distribution, the citizen don't joke with government agencies over there. In one of the Africa countries(not mentioned above), if you fail to pay your electricity bill after 5days grace on the due date, you are bound to pay 10% charge on the actual bill. And the agency don't have to come to your house to remind you but everyone already know what to do. If you are supposed to pay on 30th but couldn't meet up on that day or before 5th of the following month, when you are ready to pay, you just calculate the 10% , add it to the actual bill and pay.
A Nigerian in such situation will just abandon the thought of paying both the actual bill and the charges.
A lot of Nigerian will borrow credit from mtn,glo, or 9mobile, after using the credit to meet their urgent need, they throw the Sim card inside the nearest gutter and buy another Sim.

grin
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by gudugudumeje: 11:16am On May 16, 2019
Stupid zoo talk from "rago& malu" mentality personnel and government... Is this an explanation but cover up of massive corruption in bad equipment buying, installing, profiling and bad FGN legistation to be the only provider/generator of electricity for a multinations' country. What an oppression and successive oppressive govts.since 1970s'
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by coputa(m): 11:16am On May 16, 2019
alizma:
I keep saying, distribute the prepaid meter to every house in Nigeria and you will see miracle happening in the power sector. The moment prepaid meter get to every home in Nigeria then the electricity distribution and use become real, fair business for both the seller and the user. The more you sell, the more profit you make. The more you pay, the more you can use. Tell me who will not want to make more profit in business?
Aside the fact that those countries have effective power distribution, the citizen don't joke with government agencies over there. In one of the Africa countries(not mentioned above), if you fail to pay your electricity bill after 5days grace on the due date, you are bound to pay 10% charge on the actual bill. And the agency don't have to come to your house to remind you but everyone already know what to do. If you are supposed to pay on 30th but couldn't meet up on that day or before 5th of the following month, when you are ready to pay, you just calculate the 10% , add it to the actual bill and pay.
A Nigerian in such situation will just abandon the thought of paying both the actual bill and the charges.
A lot of Nigerian will borrow credit from mtn,glo, or 9mobile, after using the credit to meet their urgent need, they throw the Sim card inside the nearest gutter and buy another Sim.
Criminality runs in the DNA of Nigerians.If you transact business with a nigerian, if you didn't scam him, then, check very well, he shortchanged you.Nigeria, aside being the poverty capital of the world, she's also the criminal capital,
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by anthony86(m): 11:19am On May 16, 2019
Prepaid meter is the only solution to solve power problem in Nigeria. The same way Pay AS YOU Go solve the telecoms problem. If they like let them hand discos to Abacha family or Chinese. Just give every Nigerian household right to use prepaid meter
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by jahbiz: 11:26am On May 16, 2019
Imagine. A country that has less human and capital resources than Lagos state. A time may come that many of us will be telling our grandchildren " ...we were Nigerians but situations were getting out of hands then so we had to relocate for you to have a better life"
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Tomoarika(m): 11:28am On May 16, 2019
Nigeria's power industry is just funny.

Pre-paid meters are needed by customers, Discos claim not to have money to install them. They complain tariffs are too low to enable investment in the meters. Customers will not consent to increased tariffs.
NERC is just looking.

What gives?

What would you suggest?
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Nobody: 11:33am On May 16, 2019
seangy4konji:
Nigeria equals zoo
calling Nigeria a zoo makes you an animal right?
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Deepthoughts: 11:38am On May 16, 2019
CeeJay9ja:
The Managing Director, TCN, Usman Mohammed has revealed the reason behind unstable power supply in Nigeria whereas Benin Republic and some other countries experience stable power supply. Nigeria supplies about 80 percent of the total quantum of electricity consumed in Benin Republic but Benin has more stable power supply than Nigeria, TCN has said.

Nigeria, through the TCN also supplies power to the Republic of Niger and Chad, and these countries are classified as international customers in the Nigerian power sector. Usman Mohammed explained the reason why these neighbouring countries get better power supply is because they have better electricity distribution networks and he advised that power distributors in Nigeria should pay a visit to these countries to learn.

He added " In Nigeria, you know that we have what we call cross arm, where they (Discos) put woods between the wires on distribution lines. But you won't see a single cross arm in the whole of Cotonou. You have a straight and good distribution network there"

He further said "we cannot have a stable grid unless we have an adequate investment on the distribution side and that is why we have been calling for a recapitalization of distribution companies. They need to have a commensurate investment on the network"

https://exposeitworld..com/2019/05/why-benin-republic-others-get-stable.html

I have said it before n I still maintain it that unless the metering issue is properly address to make the collection of revenue to be effective n there by making investment in electricity business to be attractive we shall continue to wallow in the electricity quagmire we have found ourselves.make the business attractive n any other thing will follow no matter what as it is in the Telecom sector.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by captain247: 11:39am On May 16, 2019
alizma:

Bros, let them do that. When we get there we will cross but first of all, let the meter go round. Remember how much we made calls when mtn came to Nigeria and how much we making calls now. If they increase tariff, i will learn how to on my light when i need it and of it when i don't need it. Intact, i may have to wait till 8pm at night to on my bulb and off it as early as 6am with time they will get sense and do the needful. First thing fiat iis to make selling and using of electricity a real business first by giving the user access to control what he consume and the right to charge fair bill by the bdistributor/seller through prepaid meter

You're right, they are making personal profit that's why they don't want to give everyone the prepaid meter since they make cool cash from estimated bill.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by oglalasioux(m): 11:42am On May 16, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

Wake up! The year is 2019 and APC is the government in power.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by colestephan86: 11:43am On May 16, 2019
CeeJay9ja:
The Managing Director, TCN, Usman Mohammed has revealed the reason behind unstable power supply in Nigeria whereas Benin Republic and some other countries experience stable power supply. Nigeria supplies about 80 percent of the total quantum of electricity consumed in Benin Republic but Benin has more stable power supply than Nigeria, TCN has said.

Nigeria, through the TCN also supplies power to the Republic of Niger and Chad, and these countries are classified as international customers in the Nigerian power sector. Usman Mohammed explained the reason why these neighbouring countries get better power supply is because they have better electricity distribution networks and he advised that power distributors in Nigeria should pay a visit to these countries to learn.

He added " In Nigeria, you know that we have what we call cross arm, where they (Discos) put woods between the wires on distribution lines. But you won't see a single cross arm in the whole of Cotonou. You have a straight and good distribution network there"

He further said "we cannot have a stable grid unless we have an adequate investment on the distribution side and that is why we have been calling for a recapitalization of distribution companies. They need to have a commensurate investment on the network"

You can't give what you don't have, this bloody liar is a bloody liar.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by captain247: 11:45am On May 16, 2019
Please i need to know if after payment of prepaid meter for over 10 months and haven't received it, one have the right not to pay for estimated light bill. As someone said estimated bill is illegal so i need clarification.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by nonix22(m): 11:45am On May 16, 2019
Hmm. without checking the MD's name; I knew right away he/she must be from the NorthSide embarassed
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Scetrocom: 11:45am On May 16, 2019
But this has not explained why we could not generate beyond 4000+ MW for the past 4 years which has even dropped to 2.2k MW. Fine, obsolete distribution network is giving us problem. instead of dealing with that, government has embarked on another $1bln dollar borrowing from China to establish another power generation when we cannot actually utilize those we have on ground.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by perpeling22(f): 11:54am On May 16, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:

Iriri nsi?
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by alizma: 11:56am On May 16, 2019
captain247:

You're right, they are making personal profit that's why they don't want to give everyone the prepaid meter since they make cool cash from estimated bill.

They stay in their offices doing nothing and at the end of the month they go out to share bill, then return to their sitting positions and wait for the poor masses to bring the money for light that they didn't enjoy.
Where i live, we use prepaid meter and with that i can decide to pay as much as 10k if i have much on mean while sometimes i just pay for what will be enough for 1month. The prepaid meter, apart from giving me value for what i use, it also help me plan myself. And most importantly we have relative steady light

1 Like

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Burgerlomo: 12:00pm On May 16, 2019
Greediness and selfishness will not allow them to do the right thing cool
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Obiwank: 12:02pm On May 16, 2019
What a misguided comment. Another demonstration of the level of incompetence that is the Nigerian government.

Government needs to revisit the power sector reforms, it should have owned distribution instead of creating these regional monopolies that was handed over to their friends as rent collectors. And as you can imagine, have invested zero dollars to improve the infrastructure they were gifted.

We need private sector involvement in power generation and with marginal improvement on distribution (including fair pricing through prepaid meters), Nigerians will see immediate significant improvement in the power supply.

1 Like

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Giddy11513: 12:04pm On May 16, 2019
They don't give us electricity because they want to sell fuel and generators, they want to keep on getting money from the tariffs on the importation of generators.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by kernniejay(m): 12:07pm On May 16, 2019
The truth is that Niger republic, Benin republic and Sudan manufacture boko haram and other terrorists for Nigerian politicians, that is why they give them power supply.
There was a country.

1 Like

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Alhamdu09(m): 12:11pm On May 16, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
You are indirectly supporting the incessant blackout with your constant blame on past administration. No problem we must...... .....enter that next level in two weeks time
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by obailala(m): 12:37pm On May 16, 2019
toolovely:

even when they give the prepaid meters, the next thing they will do is to increase the tariff so as to cover up.
vizkiz:

You are smart. The moment we all switch to prepaid, the prices will be inflated and we'd be back to square one. grin
Of course! increasing the tariff has always been a part of the plan. Before the privatisation, the DISCOs complained that at the current tariffs, they would never break even. The supposedly 'low tariffs' is the backyard reason why the DISCOs have refused to invest in upgrading the distribution infrastructure; it's also the reason they've refused to give out prepaid meters cos they claim they will be short-changed at the current rates (they prefer the estimated billing culture where they get paid for supplying no light).

Finally, the agreement before the privatisation was for the DISCOs to implement the tariff increment in batches; I understand the first batch of tariff hiking was done in 2016 and the next batch is some time this year. So Nigerians need to brace up!

2 Likes

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by mikkyword(m): 12:37pm On May 16, 2019
CeeJay9ja:

The simple truth is that some big time Nigerian politicians are shareholders in companies producing generators that is why we have had an epileptic nature of power supply. Until this is address nigerian power sector will not be improved upon. They know that a stable power supply simply implies that thier investment will suffer. We are suppose to be good people great nation.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by misteryman: 12:39pm On May 16, 2019
Nigeria is a failed state and can never have a stable electricity even in the next 5years.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by obailala(m): 12:44pm On May 16, 2019
mikkyword:

The simple truth is that some big time Nigerian politicians are shareholders in companies producing generators that is why we have had an epileptic nature of power supply. Until this is address nigerian power sector will not be improved upon. They know that a stable power supply simply implies that thier investment will suffer. We are suppose to be good people great nation.
It's not just politicians selling generators, that's a past problem. The big problem now is that the power privatisation was executed shabbily. The people who own all the DISCOs around the country are all Nigerian politicians like OBJ, Emeka Offor, IBB etc... These guys are simply there to make money without putting in any commensurate investment effort.

2 Likes

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by soggy28(m): 12:47pm On May 16, 2019
Don't even know who and what to believe as to why the electricity supply in Nigeria has remained what it is epileptic!
The generation and distribution companies are blaming the transmission company of lacking the capacity to transmit generated power and now the TCN is pushing it back to the discos. Who is telling the truth?
Blame game .
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by soggy28(m): 12:49pm On May 16, 2019
Don't even know who and what to believe as to why the electricity supply in Nigeria has remained what it is epileptic!
The generation and distribution companies are blaming the transmission company of lacking the capacity to transmit generated power and now the TCN is pushing it back to the discos. Who is telling the truth?
Blame game
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 16, 2019
alizma:

Prepaid meter or not, power generation is still far from being sufficient. Those countries are way smaller than Nigeria, so power requirement of those countries combined might not even be enough to service Lagos and Ogun State if you add the industries. However I believe more deployment of prepaid meter will force the discos to sit up.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Olamideayomide(m): 12:51pm On May 16, 2019
i believe our leaders know what to do on this power sector of a thing... They shouldn't come on paper pages and be deceiving us.
Most of the distribution transformers in our country naw are deteriorated and they need to be change..
If they are serious they know right direction

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Sacks Usman Gur Mohamme As Managing Director Of TCN / Obi Plans To Stage-manage Fake Assassination Attempt – Keyamo / Is Muhammadu Buhari Dead Or Alive? - Femi Fani-Kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.