Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,591 members, 7,820,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN (32779 Views)

Some Places With Stable Electricity In Nigeria - AfricaFactsZone / Magodo Residents Now Enjoy Stable Electricity After Signing An Agreement / 'Nigerians Have More Electricity Than They Can Consume' - Garba Shehu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by kenoyad: 5:06pm On May 16, 2019
nwanna89:
The problem with electricity in nigeria is not generation or distribution. Power generation was privatized and the distribution was privatized and given to discos such as eedc and ikedc. However the Transmission of power from the power generating companies to the discos is still 100% done by the Transmission Company of Nigeria and this company is 100% owned by Federal Govt and as a result is starved of adequate investment to upgrade our transmission facilities.

So Generating companies sometimes have electricity to supply the country, but the transmission company of nigeria does not have adequate facilities to move that electricity to the consumers/discos
you don't understand what you are talking about. you contradict yourself. the electricity problem in Nigeria is sorely distribution. MD, TCN said the problem is distribution network, you said the problem is transmission network. to be succinct, you don't have knowledge of what you saying. let me simply tell you one problem. those electric poles and cables you see on the street are the number reason there's no constant power in your house.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Perfectbeing(m): 5:07pm On May 16, 2019
writefreely:
calling Nigeria a zoo makes you an animal right?

Maybe he's a zoo keeper
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Rahym001(m): 5:09pm On May 16, 2019
izombie:
Nigeria is a failed state, simple. A zoo.
all those Ipob calling Nigeria a failed state. biafra failed since 1970 after ur leader ran away. hide ur faces in shame and move on or leave a failed country.

Bullshit is all u are saying
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by seangy4konji: 5:18pm On May 16, 2019
TruthbyAll:
That makes you a zoological animal, I guess!

GBA...confirm cannibal. Eat anybody self..including you if you loose guard
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by seangy4konji: 5:19pm On May 16, 2019
writefreely:
calling Nigeria a zoo makes you an animal right?
yes and a days is coming that from animal will turn cannibal and na your flash we go take chop and do asun she bibu say u sturborn u no wan hear word for Nigeria. I pray make d real animal brewing in UA no comot..u na no go sleep. All of u
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Nobody: 5:21pm On May 16, 2019
kenoyad:

you don't understand what you are talking about. you contradict yourself. the electricity problem in Nigeria is sorely distribution. MD, TCN said the problem is distribution network, you said the problem is transmission network. to be succinct, you don't have knowledge of what you saying. let me simply tell you one problem. those electric poles and cables you see on the street are the number reason there's no constant power in your house.

Let me explain. The poles and cables going to our houses are owned by DISCOs. The power plants are owned by GENCOs. Both have been privatized.

Now, getting the electricity generated from the GENCOs to the DISCOs is handled solely by the TCN which is 100% govt owned. The TCN is badly in need of investment to upgrade its facilities. Facilities include the big 'high tension' cables and equipment which move electricity around the country, as well as substations which downsize the power voltage before it is supplied to the DISCOs. Most of the substations need to be upgraded as well as new high voltage transmission lines built.

During privatization, the FG privatized GENCOs and DISCOs but for some reason refused to complete the chain by privatizing TCN. There is always a blame game going on between GENCOs TCN and DISCOs.

GENCOs produce power but not all of it gets transmitted to the DISCOs

1 Like

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 16, 2019
seangy4konji:
yes and a days is coming that from animal will turn cannibal and na your flash we go take chop and do asun she bibu say u sturborn u no wan hear word for Nigeria. I pray make d real animal brewing in UA no comot..u na no go sleep. All of u
go back into your cave fool
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by brightleave(m): 5:32pm On May 16, 2019
[b][/b]The Managing Director, TCN, Usman Mohammed. Watine you come dey there for?
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by BLIZZARDCON: 5:47pm On May 16, 2019
The MD of TCN is very correct. Distribution is the problem. And unfortunately the DISCOs have never invested any thing in the sector.
Can you imagine that while the Discos claim to be doing business, the Federal government through the Rural Electrification Agency is still the one taking distribution lines to link towns and villages?
All that the Discos do is to start earning money from such rural project immediately they are completed.
Government really has to cancel that deceptive privatisation arrangement.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Perfectbeing(m): 6:29pm On May 16, 2019
shomutuski:

give them prepaid meter and nigerians will still do meter bypass... this country is the issue. being a nigerian sef nah big problem.

Use two or three offenders as scapegoats and others will learn from them.. If offenders are made to pay large fines or risk 6 months or more in jail, I don't think we'll have much offenders.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by udemzyudex(m): 6:31pm On May 16, 2019
tsdarkside:

this is the main problem in nigeria....we are each too greedy....

now we wan to go learn from niger republic how to care for each other....??

somethig so simple that you read every sunday in your churches....??

nawa....

Before they attend the post,you will see them giving you brilliant ideas on how they intend to achieve things, you will be amaze but immediately they get there, chai they turn canal.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Perfectbeing(m): 6:36pm On May 16, 2019
Government should just outlaw estimated billing.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by tsdarkside(m): 7:42pm On May 16, 2019
udemzyudex:

Before they attend the post,you will see them giving you brilliant ideas on how they intend to achieve things, you will be amaze but immediately they get there, chai they turn canal.

i tell you....we nigerians only do the talk,not the walk....
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by ayosamtunde(m): 9:15pm On May 16, 2019
Its fact that Nigeria is a failed state.i am a Nigerian working in rep of benin for some yrs now.i enjoy close to 24hrs electricity and water supply on a daily basis
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by kenoyad: 9:29pm On May 16, 2019
nwanna89:

Let me explain. The poles and cables going to our houses are owned by DISCOs. The power plants are owned by GENCOs. Both have been privatized.

Now, getting the electricity generated from the GENCOs to the DISCOs is handled solely by the TCN which is 100% govt owned. The TCN is badly in need of investment to upgrade its facilities. Facilities include the big 'high tension' cables and equipment which move electricity around the country, as well as substations which downsize the power voltage before it is supplied to the DISCOs. Most of the substations need to be upgraded as well as new high voltage transmission lines built.

During privatization, the FG privatized GENCOs and DISCOs but for some reason refused to complete the chain by privatizing TCN. There is always a blame game going on between GENCOs TCN and DISCOs.

GENCOs produce power but not all of it gets transmitted to the DISCOs

thank you, I am sorry for being rude, all the three tiers got problems but the most problematic is distribution. TCN lacks capacity to transmit from power plants to substations due to infrastructure and lack of on time upgrade. meanwhile, discos failed to also upgrade and invest in networks and metering systems. sole reason they came in, why? the little being transmitted is not even distributed accordingly. e.g. we don't have power for three weeks now, though, not a problem cause it's on for few hours or mins sometimes for like three days a week, I'm fine with it cause it comes in the morning while I'm still home and I use it to pump water cause I don't like using my generator. I was joking with an electrician guy last night about it, he said IBEDC came and discovered a broken insulator on the feeder pillar, unfortunately no insulator to replace and they promised to come back today to replace it. is that how it supposed to be? in south Africa there, distribution fault would be rectified immediately and it's being run by local council but a company can't do that in Nigeria. it's just sickening.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by poseidon12: 10:12pm On May 16, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
are you not in Nigeria? Nigeria’s current power generation has reached 7000 Mega Watts,from 3000 mega Watts .

Liar.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Nobody: 11:17pm On May 16, 2019
alizma:

Do you still remember the days of NITEL? Only few Nigerian had money to buy card to make calls yet those thief made it looks like they were serving the whole wold and couldn't carry the work load any longer but look at the situation today. Nigeria is not bigger than America

I'm only saying that it's not fair to put everything on the distribution companies like the man is trying to, the power being generated is still way too small, we need to fundamentally increase generation, hand in hand with improving the distribution network.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by lexy2014: 11:30pm On May 16, 2019
VivaLaFrans:
This is what happens when past leaders procrastinated... they thought oil market will keep thriving and the decided to buy tokunbo equipments for infrastructure. Now most of them have multi million business which they can even pay for steady and stable power supply, we the masses are here suffering it....

What are d present leaders doing about d situation?
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by lexy2014: 11:32pm On May 16, 2019
philipobiz:

You have just nailed the solution to our problem. You and I know they will not do it, because of the ripoff they get from estimated billing -paying for what you don't use, which is a criminal offense. And the government is supporting them. Collect money and don't provide service and see what these discos and the government will do to you.

Pls spread d word

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/233653-electricity-regulator-nerc-directs-nigerians-without-prepaid-meters-to-stop-paying-bills.html
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by lexy2014: 11:35pm On May 16, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
If people like you will allow the government to do her work without sabotage their efforts.
How is d dude preventing FG from doing its work?
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by alizma: 6:49am On May 17, 2019
kentoski:

I'm only saying that it's not fair to put everything on the distribution companies like the man is trying to, the power being generated is still way too small, we need to fundamentally increase generation, hand in hand with improving the distribution network.
Do you know that their was a time the generating companies complained that the distribution companies refused to buy everything they generate?
Do you know that the chain reaction effect will push the generating companies to do more the moment the distributing company start rushing to buy every bit of electricity generated?
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by VivaLaFrans: 7:53am On May 17, 2019
undecided
lexy2014:

lipsrsealed
lexy2014:

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by marvolio2000(m): 7:55am On May 17, 2019
This is a fat lie, I work with the oil and gas have people that maintain the gas pipelines, these people think Nigerians are fools, I didn't want to comment, but it's so painful that I have to, they intentionally supply Benin and Cotonou more light because they get more money from them and put Nigerian citizens in darkness, imagine a govt official telling the workers to redirect the gas supply to Benin Republic and Cotonou and end up not giving Nigerians light cos of how much they realise.
I don't have much time to write here. All the Thieving politicians need to be anihilated and eliminated from the system if not we all die cos of them.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by seangy4konji: 8:50am On May 17, 2019
writefreely:
go back into your cave fool
ur fada
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Nobody: 1:49pm On May 17, 2019
kenoyad:

thank you, I am sorry for being rude, all the three tiers got problems but the most problematic is distribution. TCN lacks capacity to transmit from power plants to substations due to infrastructure and lack of on time upgrade. meanwhile, discos failed to also upgrade and invest in networks and metering systems. sole reason they came in, why? the little being transmitted is not even distributed accordingly. e.g. we don't have power for three weeks now, though, not a problem cause it's on for few hours or mins sometimes for like three days a week, I'm fine with it cause it comes in the morning while I'm still home and I use it to pump water cause I don't like using my generator. I was joking with an electrician guy last night about it, he said IBEDC came and discovered a broken insulator on the feeder pillar, unfortunately no insulator to replace and they promised to come back today to replace it. is that how it supposed to be? in south Africa there, distribution fault would be rectified immediately and it's being run by local council but a company can't do that in Nigeria. it's just sickening.

I think those who invested in buying the DISCOs during privatization are making huge losses and that is why they are not investing any more into upgrading facilities.

In my area, when EEDC initially took over, they actually put money into installing new lines with smaller transformers rather than using one big transformer for a larger area. They put smaller transformers so that almost each house or a group of 3 houses can share it. Now, one thing that happened, at least in my area was that some people vandalized those little transformers. Secondly I feel the DISCO was not distributing enough power to make profits because they may simply have not been receiving enough power from the GENCOs through TCN.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by kenoyad: 2:44pm On May 17, 2019
nwanna89:

I think those who invested in buying the DISCOs during privatization are making huge losses and that is why they are not investing any more into upgrading facilities.

In my area, when EEDC initially took over, they actually put money into installing new lines with smaller transformers rather than using one big transformer for a larger area. They put smaller transformers so that almost each house or a group of 3 houses can share it. Now, one thing that happened, at least in my area was that some people vandalized those little transfenough power to make profits because they may simply have not been receiving enough power from the GENCOs through TCN.
ormers. Secondly I feel the DISCO was not distributing
well, to me, the distribution network is outdated. I don't know reason for lack of investment in upgrading but DISCOs are not up to the task. They ve shown lack of maintenance capabilities alone.
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by tsdarkside(m): 2:58pm On May 17, 2019
alizma:

Do you know that their was a time the generating companies complained that the distribution companies refused to buy everything they generate?
Do you know that the chain reaction effect will push the generating companies to do more the moment the distributing company start rushing to buy every bit of electricity generated?

ehen....!!

this is what common nigerians dont understand....

they dont understand how greedy they realy are to each other....
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by tsdarkside(m): 3:01pm On May 17, 2019
it was a bad idea to introduce privatization in nigeria....

in other nations,privatization may work,but in nigeria it will not....!!

not so long you have parts of the country that dont care about nigeria....

nigeria is,take your share and run....!!
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by tsdarkside(m): 3:08pm On May 17, 2019
nigeria is a company now....not a nation....

we are fvcking too divided....muslim,shia,sunni,catholic,atheists,pagans,hindus,jewish and its gettin more....!!

nigeria has surpassed the level of a nation....

nigeria is a part of a company called ecowas today....

tribes in nigeria never liked each other anyways....

case and point....:
ijaws vs. ipob....

kiiiikikiki...

asari realy kickt them in their ipob balls with that ijaws sold igbos video....
Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by LordAdam16: 11:43pm On May 17, 2019
obailala:
Remember, blame is a Nigerian culture! But then again, what the man said is possible. When the DISCOs reject load, and the load becomes too high on the transmission lines, it leads to a shutdown. When the transmission lines shutdown, the GENCOs also have to turn off some of their turbines too. SO at the end, you cant blame him for blaming DISCOs. The DISCOs should share out prepaid meters to everyone or if they refuse to do that, the government should pass a bill to outlaw estimated billing completely. If every customer has prepaid meters, the DISCOs will sit up seriously. Nigeria wouldn't still get uninterrupted power supply at the current 5000-7000mw capacity, but majority of cities will enjoy over 15-18 hours per day.

Oh it's pretty common sense to expect that load rejection does contribute to grid collapse. But that's hardly the only, not even the major reason.

The grid is poorly designed and grossly inefficient. To oversimplify just how bad it is, consider that the TCN does not have an always-on spinning reserve and that load rejection amounts to less than 20% (closer to 15%) of the load received. That's equivalent to saying those using firewood in the villages are responsible for climate change.

Does it contribute? Yes.

The main sh*t? No.

Can it be counterbalanced? F*ck yes.

Since 2015, they've been complaining about load rejection. The average sits within a specific range. What stops them from modernizing the grid such that they only send what the DISCOs can historically take. Which is a lot like is the case in the developed world with peak and off-peak power. There is base power and reserve plants that kick in during the evenings and early morning when folks use more power.

Here, they just throw everything at the dilapidated networks and act shocked when sh*t collapses multiple times per month.

About metering. They've passed regulation for independent metering. Things should pick up during Q4. The issue though is that it took 3 years to develop the regulation. And it'd definitely take another 3 before their input is felt. Put simply, there is an embarrassing lack of urgency. That's 6 of the current government's maximum of 8 years.

Then for whatever reason, the government takes the generation part of the equation more importantly than the distribution arm. Which boggles the mind. GENCOs are fixed assets, which implies that they're less susceptible to vandalism, tampering, and many of the challenges the DISCOs face. If the distribution and transmission is fixed, we wouldn't beg investors to build generating plants, it'd be a no-brainer.

But for some reason, that's not evident to the bast*rds up there. They've given the GENCOs price guarantees--whatever the NBET receives from them will be paid whether the DISCOs accept it or not; the government has special financial facilities and incentives for them.

The CBN should do for the DISCOs what it's doing for rice farmers. We have a Bank of Industry. The DISCOs should have a special loan facility at single-digit rates and stronger regulation to protect against vandalism and electricity theft.

China has an Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Agricultural Bank, and China Construction Bank. All three (and the Bank of China) are in top 10 largest banks on the planet. You know from the names what their areas of specialty are. As at 2005, the larger "power, gas and water" industry got the third largest share of loans from the ICBC; manufacturing gets the lion share. The CCB fuels the massive construction projects you marvel about.

Then whatever contract was signed in 2013 should be renegotiated to include performance metrics. I know there's some of it in the original agreement, but it isn't comprehensive enough and apparently the NERC is a toothless umpire.

The DISCOs should be contractually obligated to provide meters and as penalized for the lack of metering. That hasn't been the case.

The Nigerian government, this current one especially, is totally inept and fails to understand that businessmen have to play by rules as they're a morally flexible bunch. If this was in China, many of the heads of the DISCOs would have disappeared and new people appointed in their place. Because they know just how dire the situation would be if 1 billion people plus are limited by patchy power.

If the CBN can do same with banks because of the sensitivity of the financial sector; why does the NERC not have the same power. Even if it has to be on the basis of national security. It's a stretch and sets a worrying precedence but the government is already on the hook for over N1t (and rapidly growing) in liabilities; yet they let players do as they wish without repercussions.

Then turn around to blame same businessmen because maybe they feel the capitalists were elected not them. Nobody f*cks with utilities in the developed world. Here, we treat it shabbily.

Oh and most cities would not get 15-18 hrs of supply on a measly 5,000-7,000 MW. I don't think a lot of you fully understand the power demand in a country of 200m now how astronomical it'd grow as the power situation improves.

-Lord

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Nobody: 7:36am On Aug 15, 2019
alizma:
I keep saying, distribute the prepaid meter to every house in Nigeria and you will see miracle happening in the power sector. The moment prepaid meter get to every home in Nigeria then the electricity distribution and use become real, fair business for both the seller and the user. The more you sell, the more profit you make. The more you pay, the more you can use. Tell me who will not want to make more profit in business?
Aside the fact that those countries have effective power distribution, the citizen don't joke with government agencies over there. In one of the Africa countries(not mentioned above), if you fail to pay your electricity bill after 5days grace on the due date, you are bound to pay 10% charge on the actual bill. And the agency don't have to come to your house to remind you but everyone already know what to do. If you are supposed to pay on 30th but couldn't meet up on that day or before 5th of the following month, when you are ready to pay, you just calculate the 10% , add it to the actual bill and pay.
A Nigerian in such situation will just abandon the thought of paying both the actual bill and the charges.
A lot of Nigerian will borrow credit from mtn,glo, or 9mobile, after using the credit to meet their urgent need, they throw the Sim card inside the nearest gutter and buy another Sim.
I agree with you

1 Like

Re: Why Benin Republic, Others Get Stable Electricity Than Nigeria-TCN by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 15, 2019
toolovely:

even when they give the prepaid meters, the next thing they will do is to increase the tariff so as to cover up.
But it is better than estimated bills

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu: Bishops At Shettima’s Unveiling Not Fake – MURIC Replies CAN / Ondo Residents Overpower Truck Driver; Loot Food Items Branded In Tinubu Name / Northern APC Chieftains Move To Undermine Tinubu - National Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.