Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,160 members, 7,818,531 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Nairalanders In College/ University - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairalanders In College/ University (5369 Views)

Abiodun Alao Lectures At King’s College University Of London / D Most Annoying Things While In College/university. / Bad News In College Of Education Ankpa (coa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by SEFAGO(m): 6:24pm On Jun 25, 2007
mod
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by SEFAGO(m): 6:28pm On Jun 25, 2007
Hey and what school are you going to? Is it a liberal art college or university? What state?
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 4:45am On Jun 26, 2007
alright. I got it now. shocked
so is the workload as difficult as people say it is? what kind of kids are there? lots of wealthy business students?

SEFAGO:

Hey and what school are you going to? Is it a liberal art college or university? What state?

it's a liberal arts college.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by SEFAGO(m): 4:02pm On Jun 26, 2007
second to the last modification. cheesy that sounds so nigerian.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 8:21pm On Jun 26, 2007
shocked shocked shocked
God. that's one of the reasons I sort of refrained myself from applying to those schools. I'll feel sooo intimidated.
there's a kennedy on your floor? shocked

ok thanks. i wanted to major in bio but now i'm rethinking it. lol
I'll just major in something else that i like but try to fulfil pre-med requirements at the same time.
i really don't know what i'm doing. lol

yeah the process is really random. but i guess some schools can reject you for being overqualified (maybe that's what happened to you). their ranking go down if plenty of accepted students don't attend their school. many of US schools have an obsession with rankings etc
but you're at an awesome school, so it's their loss.

prestige is something i might worry about for grad school.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by Ezinwannem: 12:37am On Jun 27, 2007
@WesleyanA , watz ur name on facebook?
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by SEFAGO(m): 12:58am On Jun 27, 2007
mod
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 3:03am On Jun 27, 2007
yeah maybe the international quotas.

i'm planning on majoring in international studies or sociology and fulfilling pre-med requirements at the same time. This is what people usually say. you can major in anything you like and still be a pre-med student. is this true?

I personally don't want to be a doctor. I really want to work for the UN, non or semi medical field. that's my dream job
but my parents are so hard bent on me becoming a doctor. If i major in biology, to be honest, it's because i want to please my parents. They have the believe that i will never make it unless i become a doctor. embarassed
my mom screams at me when i tell her i prefer history or English.

the volunteering part is easy. i love stuff like that.
but I hate math, chemistry, physics with a passion but i guess i'll have to suck up to it and learn to deal when i get to school.

nigerian parents. just like the scene from the mrs omokorede skit on youtube. lipsrsealed

but i sort of agree with her point.

and why are you never online when i'm online?? what time during the day are you online?
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by SEFAGO(m): 8:29pm On Jun 27, 2007
modification
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 3:22am On Jun 28, 2007
yeah.
medicine definitely is overrated.

i read in magazines that the profession is on the decline
you get paid a lot but it's not usually worth the trouble it puts you through (no family/ social life, patients suing you, LOADS of paperwork etc)
even the pay isn't all that great as it used to be.

You told your mum you want to study history or english! Shit you have been living in the US for a long time because when I was in Nigeria history and english were for misfits while medicine was for smart students. In my school however nearly everyone studies economics, history, political economy and government.

yeah she really freaked out. she didn't talk to me for the rest of the day and she said she would disown me. it was really bad. lol grin
I didn't even say i wanted to study it. i just hinted at her that i liked it and didn't want her deciding for me what i should study or not study.

careers in history, english and, in general, liberal arts majors aren't lucrative. that's why many parents like their kids attending professionally oriented universities. so i guess i get where she's coming from and i agree with her to an extent.
here in the US, people who major in history etc (from my experience) are usually from well to do backgrounds /white people so they don't base their major on what will earn them the most money. they have connections to put them in high positions (the example you gave about the world bank president was most likely through connections) . They just do what they like ie. "follow your heart" "pursue your interest"

for poorer people, immigrants, it's usually "do what will bring you the most money and make your family proud" esp if they learn that they have a smart kid/ kid that actually likes school. lol

wonder why most of the smart Asians are also always math and science nerds working to become "doctors"

this is just a generalization and something i observe though.

there's a really smart kid at my school (our valedictorian) and you'll laugh if i told you what her major is going to be. everyone says it's a waste of talent but to me, she's just doing what interests her. her family is well to do so and can connect her so i guess she doesn't have to worry about taking the risk.

yeah i did volunteer work for 3 years at my HS and it was fun. People say I'm philanthropic in nature so i guess i just don't mind doing volunteer work but then i wouldn't want to do something i don't like either so i get your point.
can you just decide what kind of work you want to do or do they pick for you? ie working with kids, people at the hospital or being stuck in a dark room lab for hours on end? that would suck.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by SEFAGO(m): 4:56am On Jun 28, 2007
modification
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 6:16am On Jun 29, 2007
i'll try to major in bio. i can always change majors if it doesn't work out.
goodluck and THANKS A LOT for advice and help. i appreciate

you have facebook account?

and you can always change your major 'can't you if you don't like what you're currently doing.
or you probably shouldn't give up yet 'cause i heard that you never know until you get the job. that's why some people encourage students to do internships and such 'cause that's how they decide if they're really interested or not.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by daprince: 3:38am On Jul 05, 2007
Wes and Sef, being a premed is really fun. l'm a Neuroscience major and l hope to get into med school after l get my B.S. The truth is, don't be intimidated with the thought of taking Chem, Phy, Maths, or Bio because they are just like every other course that u are going to take. Im not telling u that they are super easy, but just giving urself time to study will determine how well u do in them. Volunteering while taking these courses isn't difficult as long as u create time to volunteer and time to study. I did volunteer 4 hours/week at the hospital while taking Ochem and Integral calc coupled with other classes (and l did great). l believe u both are very smart and u shouldn't let anything stand in ur way to becoming medical doctors if that's what u (both) wanna do. Have fun.
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by PTBNaija(f): 11:43pm On Jul 08, 2007
Why do Nigerian parents always want their children to be doctors or engineers? LOL j/k j/k. You know they are only looking out for your best interest. I'm an incoming freshman, and I plan on majoring in bio. I plan to go to medical school afterwards. Chose my school because it's a good school and I felt it would give me a leg up in medicine. And, I just really love the school :-)
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by WesleyanA(f): 12:05am On Jul 09, 2007
PTBNaija:

You know they are only looking out for your best interest.

yeah i agree. lol
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by Shola2009(m): 11:08pm On Sep 20, 2009
Re: Nairalanders In College/ University by Nobody: 5:37am On Feb 18, 2011
@
fstranger

Why don't you make use of your time instead of wasting it creating numerous user names because you are really making a fool of your not-so-smart self

you should have listed his user names.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Secondary School Statement Of Result / 10 Interesting Piranha Facts / Jamb 2019 Examination Date And How To Prepare For It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.