Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,222 members, 7,860,414 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 10:41 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106649 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Ystranger: 12:21am On Jul 14, 2011
Oga mi sir!

Dr. Professor Ola Olabiyi [b]Flaws or floors [/b]Katzumoto on the "Sanusi: Brilliant, Over-hyped or Mediocre" thread.

Which one is the correct verb to use in the statement above? wink

[size=3pt]BTW, did you actually make A1 in English? NECO or WAEC? I actually made A2 in NECO English, but WAEC did not work out as great as NECO, for obvious reasons[/size] grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Ystranger: 12:24am On Jul 14, 2011
naijababe:

A wide range of options was made available to the students.

Dr Emeka is an expert in computer science

Effective / Efficacious / effectual - no difference here. Both are used when describing something that does what it should

Efficient - close in meaning to the above but used when one wants to attach a range to the meaning of any of the above words

hmmmmmm, awon ti avant garde ni yen

When I grow up, I just wanna be like you.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Ystranger: 12:46am On Jul 14, 2011
naijababe:

A wide range of options was made available to the students.

Hey, baby-Katz V, this is not the right answer to the poster's question.

You need to break it down for the poster why was, and not were, is the correct verb in this context.

The poster is confused because he/she isnt sure as to which verb to go along with "A wide range" Vs. Options"

Anyway, please make it a lil bit clearer for us not so privileged illiterates and "ara okos" grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MissyB3(f): 3:27pm On Jul 14, 2011
ola olabiy:

Answer.

"Brain": Use 'brains'.

"Offsprings": Mass noun. Use 'offspring'.

I don't quite follow. Do you mean the correct sentence is - Seun Osewa, the nerdy chap who lives in Ogun State and the brains behind Nairaland, is one of the offspring of Chief Osewa.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:16pm On Jul 14, 2011
Missy ★ B:

I don't quite follow. Do you mean the correct sentence is - Seun Osewa, the nerdy chap who lives in Ogun State and the brains behind Nairaland, is one of the offspring of Chief Osewa.

Yes, Omo N'oba N'edo cheesy cheesy

Here:

"Brain": intellectual capacity:I didn't have enough brains for the sciences[mass noun] :success requires brain as well as brawn
(the brains) informal a clever person who supplies the ideas and plans for a group of people:Tom was the brains of the outfit
"Brains": http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/brain

"Offspring":

Usage

The meaning of offspring covers both an individual child and several children, though the latter meaning is the more common. As a result, the word does not need the plural form ‘offsprings’ with an -s which is sometimes encountered.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/offspring
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MissyB3(f): 10:40pm On Jul 14, 2011
Aww! Many thanks. If it were an exam question, na so I 4 just fail patapata. . .English na wa.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Ystranger: 11:10pm On Jul 14, 2011
Missy ★ B:

Aww! Many thanks. If it were an exam question, na so I 4 just fail patapata. . .English na wa.

And it wont be the first time.

You should be used to it by now.

Take heart, your portion, your destiny, learn to accept and live with it.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 4:50am On Jul 15, 2011
You are very annoying, WizardofOZ!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by MissyB3(f): 8:42am On Jul 15, 2011
Ystranger:

And it wont be the first time.

You should be used to it by now.

Take heart, your portion, your destiny, learn to accept and live with it.
Very funny!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Ystranger: 11:15am On Jul 15, 2011
Odunnu:

You are very annoying, WizardofOZ!

Not as much as you cutie pie grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by blank(f): 11:24am On Jul 15, 2011
Can i ask another question?

Is it, "funnily enough , or is it funny enough"?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:48pm On Jul 15, 2011
blank:

Can i ask another question?

Is it, "funnily enough , or is it funny enough"?

Already examined, Blank.

It is "funnily enough"

Here: http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/funnily
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:12pm On Jul 15, 2011
Stranger, stop being a stirrer.

Ati n sun mo armageddon. Repent!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jul 15, 2011
ola olabiy:

Stranger, stop being a stirrer.

Ati n sun mo armageddon. Repent!

U berra don't be holding your breath mate.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 2:11pm On Jul 17, 2011
Hmmm!

"Pronunciate"

^^Is it a word, peeps?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Ystranger: 3:23pm On Jul 17, 2011
ola olabiy:

Hmmm!

"Pronunciate"

^^Is it a word, peeps?

NO.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jul 17, 2011
ola olabiy:

Hmmm!

"Pronunciate"

^^Is it a word, peeps?

Yes. The noun form of pronounce; use of pronounciate common in everyday language is in fact wrong.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:33pm On Jul 17, 2011
Ystranger:

NO.

naijababe:

Yes. The noun form of pronounce; use of pronounciate common in everyday language is in fact wrong.

Yep! It's not a WORD. UrbanDictionary and Dictionary.com have it, though.

But, it's NOT a word.

Thanks, guys.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 4:58pm On Jul 17, 2011
British: Sceptic

American: Skeptic
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by tunnytox(m): 5:00pm On Jul 17, 2011
How come I didn't see this thread for this long? Thanks a million OP
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jul 17, 2011
ola olabiy:

Yep! It's not a WORD. UrbanDictionary and Dictionary.com have it, though.

But, it's NOT a word.

Thanks, guys.

Beg to differ prof. My classmate's older brother told her why pronunciate is the appropriate word rather than pronounciate and she decided to shakara us at lunch time the next day. The argument cost me my 1 naira lunch money and this happened in 1990.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:07pm On Jul 17, 2011
naijababe:

Beg to differ prof. My classmate's older brother told her why pronunciate is the appropriate word rather than pronounciate and she decided to shakara us at lunch time the next day. The argument cost me my 1 naira lunch money and this happened in 1990.
grin

Both are wrong, Naijababe.

The only verb form of it is "pronounce"
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 17, 2011
^ Eewoo!!! So I only did saara lipsrsealed . So there's pronunciation and pronounce but not pronunciate. Damn, that 1 naira just begin pain me all over cry
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:26pm On Jul 17, 2011
naijababe:

^ Eewoo!!! So I only did saara lipsrsealed . So there's pronunciation and pronounce but not pronunciate. Damn, that 1 naira just begin pain me all over cry
grin

I know. That 1 naira go don worth 500 naira now.

1990? I think sey moi own lunch money that time na 30 kobo sef cheesy cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 17, 2011
ola olabiy:

grin

I know. That 1 naira go don worth 500 naira now.

1990? I think sey moi own lunch money that time na 30 kobo sef cheesy cheesy

Haba prof, 30 kobo no go buy ish for 1990. You mean 3 naira
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 5:46pm On Jul 17, 2011
naijababe:

Haba prof, 30 kobo no go buy ish for 1990. You mean 3 naira
grin grin

I no lie oo. Na orange, kokoro, or banana I dey take am buy. Why I dey thin up till nau wink wink wink

But, e be like sey I get 1 girlfriend wey dey always pamper me. tongue

Abi nau.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 17, 2011
OMG!!! You are so funny, I am actually lmao grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:58pm On Jul 17, 2011
naijababe:

OMG!!! You are so funny, I am actually lmao grin

The same way Isale dey attend to moi needs these days tongue tongue
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 17, 2011
ola olabiy:

The same way Isale dey attend to moi needs these days tongue tongue

I like your optimism brother grin. Keep up the hope
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:42pm On Jul 17, 2011
naijababe:

I like your optimism brother grin. Keep up the hope

Never say die.
wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 8:05pm On Jul 18, 2011
Please OLA and others, my questions are still on the previous page (57), unanswered. Please I need their answers.
Thank you.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:14am On Jul 24, 2011
Hmmm.

lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (72) (Reply)

LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents / Apply For 2023/2024 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.