Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,119 members, 7,852,795 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 05:51 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106608 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Taiquadri(f): 1:22am On Jul 24, 2011
gud mornin,u r doin a great work kip it up.dou i dnt tink dere is anytin wrng wit usin double ! or , if it is used in an informal writin i tink it adds 2 d fun.wat do u tink?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Serendipity: 9:33am On Jul 30, 2011
@Ola, where u dey?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 3:04pm On Jul 30, 2011
Serendipity:

@Ola, where u dey?

I dey, bro.

This thread don dey bore me small.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by panafrican(m): 6:23pm On Jul 31, 2011
Common errors in ENGLISH ! who cares !
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:34am On Aug 02, 2011
American : Check

British : Cheque
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:20am On Aug 03, 2011
Let's revisit these phrases:

"Not to talk of"

"Talkless of"

Are they correct?

What say you, guys?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by isalegan2: 12:39pm On Aug 03, 2011
ola olabiy:

Let's revisit these phrases:

"Not to talk of"

"Talkless of"

Are they correct?

What say you, guys?

"Talkless of" is obviously incorrect;

"Not to to talk of" is also grammatically incorrect, but in this age of slang, and this ever-so-dynamic English language, I expect we'll come to find it is now in the Guinness Book of English Language colloquialism or some such. lol 

ola olabiy:

I dey, bro.

This thread don dey bore me small.

awww.  Why?  If you hang in there for another month, you can celebrate the one-year anniversary of your thread and, if you still have no interest, shut it down in style. cool

I sympathise though.  My thread started with a somewhat limited scope, but rapidly went off-topic and off on a tangent from the introductory post; gradually becoming a general purpose thread.  Just about any posts can be related to issue of interest to "Naijas abroad."   wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:40pm On Aug 03, 2011
isale_gan2:

"Talkless of" is obviously incorrect;

"Not to to talk of" is also grammatically incorrect, but in this age of slang, and this ever-so-dynamic English language, I expect we'll come to find it is now in the Guinness Book of English Language colloquialism or some such. lol 

Thanks, moi darling. How're you? Busy? Already on the doff with moi baby tongue tongue tongue? Ramadan? Missed ya o kiss kiss

Yeah! It's very hard for Nigerians to accept this: they are incorrect!

"Not to talk of" is very popular, though.

Use "let alone" or "not to mention". Thanks.

isale_gan2:

awww.  Why?  If you hang in there for another month, you can celebrate the one-year anniversary of your thread and, if you still have no interest, shut it down in style. cool

Yeah, it's true. 1 year . . . . . . just like dat oo

isale_gan2:

I sympathise though.  My thread started with a somewhat limited scope, but rapidly went off-topic and off on a tangent from the introductory post; gradually becoming a general purpose thread.  Just about any posts can be related to issue of interest to "Naijas abroad."   wink

We derailed your thread because we all love you wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:43pm On Aug 03, 2011
ola olabiy:

Already on the doff with moi baby tongue tongue tongue?

Sorry oo. "duff" meant. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 03, 2011
^ Prof, scoping and the likes are forbidden in the holy month of Ramadhan
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by femmy2010(m): 7:26pm On Aug 03, 2011
naijababe:

^ Prof, scoping and the likes are forbidden in the  holy month of Ramadhan

lol
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:11pm On Aug 03, 2011
naijababe:

^ Prof, scoping and the likes are forbidden in the holy month of Ramadhan
cheesy

Awon ore iyawo wink wink

Allah don say Aamin nau. tongue
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:14pm On Aug 03, 2011
Femmy2010, luv ya statement about perfection. Nice one.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 03, 2011
Me i no talk anything o  lipsrsealed. I no dey put mouth for oro ako ati abo.

Already on the doff with moi baby    ?

shouldn't that say 'already up the duff?'
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:21pm On Aug 03, 2011
naijababe:

Me i no talk anything o  lipsrsealed. I no dey put mouth for oro ako ati abo.

Abo don run oo smiley

naijababe:

shouldn't that say 'already up the duff?'

My bad!

You're right, Naijababe. Thank you very much.
Thanks
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 03, 2011
ola olabiy:

Abo don run oo smiley

The abo in kweshon na eel. U go try gan ni to pin am down

My bad!

You're right, Naijababe. Thank you very much.
Thanks
Glad to be of service smiley
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:44pm On Aug 03, 2011
naijababe:

The abo in kweshon na eel. U go try gan ni to pin am down

I no you go help too. tongue

naijababe:

Glad to be of service smiley

Thanks, moi ore iyawo smiley
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:50pm On Aug 03, 2011
Naijababe, I need my 'cut' from your Forex profit oo. smiley

Any holy grail?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 03, 2011
^ Holy grail dey for heaven. For this earth, d tin nor exist grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 11:07pm On Aug 03, 2011
naijababe:

^ Holy grail dey for heaven. For this earth, d tin nor exist grin
grin grin

Abeg, reveal the thang jare
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by femmy2010(m): 9:28pm On Aug 04, 2011
Can an arrow be "Bowed" at someone?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:20pm On Aug 04, 2011
femmy2010:

Can an arrow be "Bowed" at someone?

No, according to my dico.

No verb form.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by femmy2010(m): 10:34pm On Aug 04, 2011
ola olabiy:

No, according to my dico.

No verb form.
Thanks Bruva,
so fired or shot the arrow at him is very right?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:36pm On Aug 04, 2011
femmy2010:

Thanks Bruva,
so [b]fired or shot
the arrow at him is very right?[/b]

Hmmm

Not sure, bro.

I have to do some research.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by OpaOpa: 12:35am On Aug 08, 2011
@femmy2010, For you to feel comfortable, the most appropriate verb you can be sure is correct for an arrow is (to shoot). In the context of another weapon the verb to fire also is appropriate.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by femmy2010(m): 12:37am On Aug 08, 2011
OpaOpa:

@femmy2010, For you to feel comfortable, the most appropriate verb you can be sure is correct for an arrow is (to shoot). In the context of another weapon the verb to fire also is appropriate.

Okay Thanks
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 08, 2011
i hear this all the time

i'm doing  my masters/MBA etc is it correct?

i like i'm doing  a masters/MBA
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by OpaOpa: 11:29am On Aug 08, 2011
a master program or an MBA would be more appropriate hence a sentence like this: I am running or taking a master degree program or an MBA at , University.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 08, 2011
simple question is it correct or not and more importantly why?.

both running and[b] taking[/b] are wrong.

running indicates administering in this context.

to take a degree indicates succesful completion of a course e.g.

she took a first class in law from Harvard
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by OpaOpa: 12:25pm On Aug 08, 2011
@iwonbaoko: I am doing a masters is grammatically incorrect because it doesnt come with an (s) and it is only a title. 2: MBA is simply an abbreviation for Master of Business Administration an abbrv often misused.

Both running an taking are also grammatically correct but you do not have to use it as using it means to do so properly.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:02am On Aug 10, 2011
Keep it up, guys. grin grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 5:50am On Aug 10, 2011
Which is it: more tough or much tougher? I saw it in a past question but to my suprise, the answer given to it was the former meanwhile, my teachers in secondary schools taught us that the latter is the correct one. I'm confused here

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (72) (Reply)

Apply For 2023/2024 PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme / LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.