Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (61) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106432 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by isalegan2: 1:32pm On Aug 23, 2011
grin  Ola2,
Fake tutors have invaded this space o !  cheesy
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 1:44pm On Aug 23, 2011
isale_gan2:

grin  Ola2,
Fake tutors have invaded this space o !  cheesy

This section belongs to them oo. cool

Call them moi Ogas.

PS.

Ayaba, o to ojo meta oo. How u dey? smiley
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Odunnu: 1:47pm On Aug 24, 2011
Prof! I'm still loyal. Forget my absence from school, i'll do you proud. Lol.
Isale, naijababe, MissyB, Serenpidity and the rest of them cant get a better grade than I. Shey you saw how busy body, Ileke and Slap1 suddenly dropped out of school?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 10:17pm On Aug 24, 2011
Odunnu:

Prof! I'm still loyal. Forget my absence from school, i'll do you proud. Lol.
Good job, Cutie Pie. You are doing very well. Mod of the year by a mile.

Odunnu:

Shey you saw how busy body, Ileke and Slap1 suddenly dropped out of school?

Busybody has finally reached Yaba Left. LOL.

What interests Ileke these days is Eze. Oh, and anything that starts with letter "I".

Slap1 is busy with studies and girls.

Odunnu:

Isale, naijababe, MissyB, Serenpidity and the rest of them cant get a better grade than I.

You're a platinum card-carrying member of this thread. wink
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:16am On Aug 26, 2011
About new words:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2029824/Chambers-Dictionary-includes-text-speak.html

The journalist also got slaughtered for this mistake (we have examined it on this thread):
And those[b] bored of[/b] using the word ‘mates’ might consider ‘bromance’, the new trendy way of referring to friendship between men.

^^^read the comments grin. And, this is the best broadsheet in Britain (sales, at least). That tells you something about the language.

Older versions:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1044615/The-new-dictionary-words-sum-year-credit-crunch-carbon-footprint--WAGs.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-402791/Brazilian-wax-officially-recognised-new-dictionary-words.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1086493/Meh--chatroom-word-means-bored-indifferent--latest-word-dictionary.html
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by aribisala0(m): 10:45am On Aug 26, 2011
Serendipity:

I guess you are simply rudderless.
I still maintain that you can't have 'more tougher'
Or what prevents 'more better or more taller' from being correct if 'more tougher' is acceptable.
If more tougher is acceptable?

i  agree  with  the part in  bold[b] i said so[/b]!!

i did  not  say "more  tougher" is  acceptable. read grin

you are determined to  indulge in controversy so best wishes.
i'm off to buy a rudder!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:04pm On Aug 26, 2011
Hi NLanders, please help.

Gago, 25, made a positive impression after joining Real from Boca Juniors, but has falled out of favour under Jose Mourinho.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2030256/Manchester-City-target-trophies-Champions-League-draw.html#ixzz1WCMxy1KT

Is "falled" now allowed? Or just a mistake? It's not just Online, mind you. It's in their print edition today.

Just curious.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by femmy2010(m): 7:59am On Aug 27, 2011
The used "felled" is allowed.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 9:46am On Aug 27, 2011
femmy2010:

The used "felled" is allowed.

Fell? As in a tree?

But, "fall out of" is a stock(?) expression - hence my question. The paper actually meant the past participle of "fall"
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by femmy2010(m): 11:16am On Aug 27, 2011
ola olabiy:

Fell? As in a tree?

But, "fall out of" is a stock(?) expression - hence my question. The paper actually meant the past participle of "fall"

"Falled" is certainly wrong.

Almost thought i saw felled,my wrong.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Aivoyin(f): 12:06pm On Aug 27, 2011
incorrect > not to talk of
correct > let alone

incorrect> i asked of you
correct > i asked after you
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by sukzez: 9:19am On Aug 28, 2011
Pls the word 'proudness', is it correct?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 28, 2011
Note that in the article, "falled out of" was used-not 'felled'.Since "falled" does not exist in English Language,I believe it was mistakenly used.
ola olabiy:

Hi NLanders, please help.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2030256/Manchester-City-target-trophies-Champions-League-draw.html#ixzz1WCMxy1KT

Is "falled" now allowed? Or just a mistake? It's not just Online, mind you. It's in their print edition today.

Just curious.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 7:47pm On Aug 28, 2011
MyFidelis:

Note that in the article, "falled out of" was used-not 'felled'.Since "falled" does not exist in English Language,I believe it was mistakenly used.
Thanks. Printer's devil.

sukzez:

Examined.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:04pm On Aug 28, 2011
sukzez:

Examined in my book. And, up to the time the 7th edition was published, it's INCORRECT. But, it's now CORRECT. Now called derivative - LOL.

Read more:
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/proud#m_en_gb0668810.014
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 8:19pm On Aug 28, 2011
And, you can watch out for "bold" - verb form.

Grammarians and linguists will eventually have their way. Oxford dico editors are being bombarded with these words. And, sieving through these words isn't easy.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by mehamgul: 7:32am On Aug 29, 2011
well its your best effort here you have started the british english grammar section
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by semid4lyfe(m): 4:48am On Sep 01, 2011
Oga me Prof, long time no see. how body nah? smiley

Anyway, me don come again with my problem o. grin

I bin blow one grammar like that for one thread but I nor come sure whether e correct or not. Na im be this:

''That result coupled with the loss to Poland a week later and the disgraceful performance of the team in the COPA America resulted in the sack of Sergio Batista''

So which is correct?. . SACK OR SACKING?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 4:50am On Sep 01, 2011
sacking.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by semid4lyfe(m): 9:20am On Sep 01, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

sacking.

You be Engrish Prof? undecided

Prof, I still dey wait oh
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Jarus(m): 10:55am On Sep 01, 2011
Prof, quick one:

What is the correct pronunciation of the word SCHEDULE? Skedul or Shedul?

I use both interchangeably depending on which the person I'm talking to uses.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:20pm On Sep 01, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Oga me Prof, long time no see. how body nah? smiley

Anyway, me don come again with my problem o. grin

I bin blow one grammar like that for one thread but I nor come sure whether e correct or not. Na im be this:

''That result coupled with the loss to Poland a week later and the disgraceful performance of the team in the COPA America resulted in the sack of Sergio Batista''

So which is correct?. . SACK OR SACKING?

Sacking, bro. It's a noun.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/sacking
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 01, 2011
I think 'skedul' is the correct pronouciation although I hear people saying shedule alot, I don't say it. Think of words like [b]Sch[/b]eme, [b]Sch[/b]ool, [b]Sch[/b]olar etc.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:23pm On Sep 01, 2011
Jarus:

Prof, quick one:

What is the correct pronunciation of the word SCHEDULE? Skedul or Shedul?

I use both interchangeably depending on which the person I'm talking to uses.

You're right, Jarus. They can be used interchangeably.

Pronunciation:/ˈʃɛdjuːl, ˈskɛd-/
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/schedule
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:24pm On Sep 01, 2011
naijababe:

I think 'skedul' is the correct pronouciation although I hear people saying shedule alot, I don't say it. Think of words like [b]Sch[/b]eme, [b]Sch[/b]ool, [b]Sch[/b]olar etc.
Both, Naijababe. How are you?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 01, 2011
^ Oh well, something[i] learned [/i] today  wink. I'm just dandy, prof. You?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:25pm On Sep 01, 2011
In the UK, I think shedul is preferred.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:26pm On Sep 01, 2011
naijababe:

^ Oh well, something[i] learned [/i] today  wink. I'm just dandy, prof. You?
I'm fine, my sister.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 01, 2011
ola olabiy:

In the UK, I think shedul is preferred.

Three quarters of the English population can't speak their own language well grin; I rarely pay any mind to their preferences
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:28pm On Sep 01, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

sacking.
You're really enjoying yourself on NL. Eze, Abadaba, Akmann77 and co will never forget you. cool
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by olaolabiy: 12:30pm On Sep 01, 2011
naijababe:

Three quarters of the English population can't speak their own language well grin; I rarely pay any mind to their preferences
You're right, though.

Listen to Alan Shearer on Match of the Day.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 01, 2011
ola olabiy:

You're really enjoying yourself on NL. Eze, Abadaba, Akmann77 and co will never forget you. cool

^ and she coined the term ' Tomato Phd' too grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) ... (72) (Reply)

LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents / Female US Teacher Had Sex With Boy, 13, In Classroom & Even Moved Into His Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.