Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,026 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106429 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 6:39pm On Sep 27, 2011
Ah Ola, i no fit kil u na.
Anyway, thanks. I will buy you 9th mile (Enugu) okpa with La casera.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:45pm On Sep 28, 2011
POSER.

If your child is thinking about a gap year, they can get good advice from this website.

If your child is thinking about a gap year, he can get good advice from this website.

If your child is thinking about a gap year, she can get good advice from this website.

If your child is thinking about a gap year, it can get good advice from this website.

Which one, please?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:49pm On Sep 28, 2011
POSER.

This is the first step in helping someone to help themself.

This is the first step in helping someone to help herself.

This is the first step in helping someone to help himself.

This is the first step in helping someone to help itself.

This is the first step in helping someone to help themselves.

Which one, please?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Iyykanu: 6:01pm On Sep 28, 2011
join in this academic excerice to learn.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:19am On Sep 29, 2011
POSER.

Clearly, he's in love. tongue

What type of adverb is "clearly" as used in the statement above?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:25am On Sep 29, 2011
POSER.

. . . . Refer back.

Is it allowed? Or not?

Please, answer.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:45am On Sep 29, 2011
Pesky little marks: you and punctuation marks. Enjoy it.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/09/punctuational-perplexities/
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:50am On Sep 29, 2011
Hmm. Like I said before (check out page 3 of this thread), "and the like" and "and the likes" are both correct.

The flipside of too little, or no, punctuation is the way in which apostrophes, hyphens, and the like are either used incorrectly or to excess.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/09/punctuational-perplexities/
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 2:07am On Sep 29, 2011
Contumely:

I asked this question on page 57 but it wasnt answered:
UNIBEN has started its/their exams.
It/they would have postponed it.

Hey, Contumely, enjoy this:

What you also need to watch out for, in both American and British English, is the mistake of mixing up singular and plural subjects and verbs in the same sentence, paragraph, or piece of writing. The following sentence is grammatically incorrect because the subject and verb in the first clause (government is) are singular and the subject and verb in the following clause (they have) are plural:

X The government is by no means environmentally perfect: they have invested only £37m in renewable energy sources this year.

To ensure consistency and good English, the sentence should be rewritten either as:

√ The government is by no means environmentally perfect: it has invested only £37m in renewable energy sources this year.

or:

√ The government are by no means environmentally perfect: they have invested only £37m in renewable energy sources this year.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/09/agreement-over-collective-nouns/
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 2:17am On Sep 29, 2011
Contumely:

Another question:
My name is Emeka.
He said that his name is/was Emeka.

Ola one:

The rules are changing, my brother. Decades ago, you would say "was" (examined as a reported speech).

But, today, "is" is correct. Also, because this is a true statement (my name is Emeka), the present tense is allowed.

PS:
Sorry, Contumely, I have had enough of these questions NOW! Thanks.

Yeah. I have to buttress my point here.

In churches, pastors like to say:

"Jesus says" (even though it's 2,000 years ago).

^Why? Because they believe it's a TRUE STATEMENT.

We also have:

The Bible says . . . . . .

The Quran says . . . .

^^Both written ages ago.

I think the statement below is a bit tricky, though (because it isn't true):

My name is Isale, the president of Nigeria.

She said her name ****** Isale, the president of Nigeria lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 2:30am On Sep 29, 2011
REMEMBER, Newspapers are reputable sources of good grammar, especially, British and American newspapers - both right-leaning and left-leaning ones.

Newspapers such as The Independent, Daily Telegraph, The Guardian (UK), Daily Mail, Boston Globe, New York Times, The Washington Post, etc, are highly respected and words coined by their writers make it into dicos regularly.

Besides, apparent mistakes by these papers often become correct expressions.

E.g. "Bored of" (Daily Mail used this phrase recently). Now, lexicographers at ODO are not sure. Read this:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/page/boredby/bored-by-of-or-with
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 2:46am On Sep 29, 2011
POSER.

It's one of the solecisms that are . . . . .

it's one of the solecisms that is . . . . . .

Which one, please? Or both? None? Uhn?

PS:

Gudnite, guys.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Serendipity: 11:48am On Sep 29, 2011
Ola one:

POSER.

If your child is thinking about a gap year, they can get good advice from this website.

If your child is thinking about a gap year, he can get good advice from this website.

If your child is thinking about a gap year, she can get good advice from this website.

If your child is thinking about a gap year, it can get good advice from this website.

Which one, please?
I will use ''they''
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Serendipity: 11:49am On Sep 29, 2011
Ola one:

POSER.

Which one, please?
I will use ''they''
Ola one:

POSER.

It's one of the solecisms that are . . . . .

it's one of the solecisms that is . . . . . .

Which one, please? Or both? None? Uhn?

PS:

Gudnite, guys.

''Are''
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Serendipity: 11:54am On Sep 29, 2011
Ola one:

POSER.

This is the first step in helping someone to help themself.

This is the first step in helping someone to help herself.

This is the first step in helping someone to help himself.

This is the first step in helping someone to help itself.

This is the first step in helping someone to help themselves.

Which one, please?
should be themselves
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 11:57am On Sep 29, 2011
Serendipity:

I will use ''they''

Correct.

Some people use "he or she" but this is considered "old school"

Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 11:58am On Sep 29, 2011
Serendipity:

I will use ''Are''

Correct.

"Is" is also okay.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 11:59am On Sep 29, 2011
Serendipity:

should be themselves

Correct!

Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Serendipity: 12:20pm On Sep 29, 2011
Ola one:

POSER.

Clearly, he's in love. tongue

What type of adverb is "clearly" as used in the statement above?
Whatchamallit? Eeh! Okay,
Manner.
Ola how u dey?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Serendipity: 12:31pm On Sep 29, 2011
Ola one:

Correct.

"Is" is also okay.
'Is' also okay? No naw, Ola!
You mean, solecisms that 'is'?
No I don't think it's correct.

Or is it also okay to say:
One of the traders who sellS tomatoes, instead of who sell without (s)?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 12:49pm On Sep 29, 2011
Serendipity:

Whatchamallit? Eeh! Okay,
Manner.
Ola how u dey?

It's a 'rare' type of adverb called "sentence adverb."

Why?

Because, it doesn't modify any verb in particular but the whole sentence.

The sentence can be reworded thus:

It's clear he's in love.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 12:51pm On Sep 29, 2011
Serendipity:

Nahhhh. It's correct.

I 'stole' this from an Oxford guru.

. . . . . let me search for it
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 12:56pm On Sep 29, 2011
Serendipity:

Here:

we had a grammatical get together, and then consulted our Bible, the most recent Pocket Fowler, and agreed with that authority that one can either say 'it's one of the solecisms , that is, ' or 'it's one of the solecisms, that are, ' -both are acceptable. But thanks for keeping us on our toes!
Catherine Soanes:

Catherine Soanes is a lexicographer, passionate logophile, and former Head of Online Dictionaries at Oxford University Press.

Read the comments (bottom of page):

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Serendipity: 2:43pm On Sep 29, 2011
Ola one:

Here:Catherine Soanes:

Read the comments (bottom of page):

Language and structure nowadays is erratic.
Whichever way me I go use 'are'
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 2:58pm On Sep 29, 2011
Hi, Ola.
Ability in disability was 'made manifest' in Mr. Emeka.
I read this and thought the 'made' there unnecessary.

What dou you think?
Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 11:05pm On Sep 29, 2011
Contumely:

Hi, Ola.

What dou you think?
Thanks.

It's correct.

REMEMBER:
"Manifest" is also an adjective.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Serendipity: 6:01pm On Sep 30, 2011
Contumely:

Hi, Ola.

What dou you think?
Thanks.
Ola one:

It's correct.

REMEMBER:
"Manifest" is also an adjective.
Yea. But in this context, as it has been used as an adjective here; I think the author was only trying to convey that that trait was obvious in Mr. Emeka. Because of that, putting 'made' there makes the trait (ability in disability) look like it was done by another person. In other words the fact that ability in disability was obvious and visible in the man looks like it was done by another person (if you put 'made' there).
Just like saying that 'the girl was made happy' instead of 'the girl was happy.
Conclusively, I think the 'made' there isn't relevant especially in this context.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:41am On Oct 02, 2011
Serendipity:

Yea. But in this context, as it has been used as an adjective here; I think the author was only trying to convey that that trait was obvious in Mr. Emeka. Because of that, putting 'made' there makes the trait (ability in disability) look like it was done by another person. In other words the fact that ability in disability was obvious and visible in the man looks like it was done by another person (if you put 'made' there).
Just like saying that 'the girl was made happy' instead of 'the girl was happy.
Conclusively, I think the 'made' there isn't relevant especially in this context.

Ohh, thanks.

But, I think it's okay for us to examine this further.

What do you think about the following statements:

Whether for territory, resources or reclamation, it was futility made manifest

God in man made manifest

All things that are reproved are made manifest by light

The way of life and death made manifest and set before us

He was foreknown before the foundation of the word but was made manifest in the times for your sake

God made manifest in Christ

Works of God should be made manifest in man?

WRONG? Please, answer.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Serendipity: 3:25pm On Oct 02, 2011
YOU obviously are saying the same thing with me.
Or didn't you catch my drift.
I didn't say that you can't use 'made' together with manifest.
I was only trying to buttress the fact that putting 'made' in that context as asked by 'Contumely' is analogous to saying that 'the ability in disability seen in that man' was done by ANOTHER PERSON/THING.
In other words, it wasn't appropriate in that situation/context.
Or isn't there a difference in these sentences:
''The man was rich''
and
''The man was 'made' rich''
The former suggests that the man apparently became rich all by himself.
While the latter infers that the man was made rich maybe by a benefactor. Okay?
Check these ones also:
''The example was clear'' (in itself).
The example was 'made' clear'' (made clear by another thing/person).

And the sentences you cited in your examples bears witness to the foregone:
All things that are reproved are made manifest (ie obvious) BY LIGHT.
It wasn't manifest by itself but was made manifest --- by light.
Let's take another:
The way of life and death made manifest and set before us.
It suggests that somebody/something made it obvious (manifest) and set it before us.
Thank you.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 8:32pm On Oct 02, 2011
^^^Ohh! Got it.

Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:01pm On Oct 02, 2011
A common mistake.

Is it okay to say:

He's schooling abroad

I am schooling?

^^Is it okay in any participial form?

Thanks.

PS: A good contribution from Ajanlekoko.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by AjanleKoko: 10:33pm On Oct 02, 2011
That must be some old grammar grin
It should be studying. Schooling sounds like Naija-Speak.

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (72) (Reply)

LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents / Female US Teacher Had Sex With Boy, 13, In Classroom & Even Moved Into His Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.