Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,747 members, 7,831,381 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English - Education (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English (106411 Views)

Kids Will Learn ABC This Way, If This Generation Is Not Careful / Some Common Silly Mistakes/errors People Make In English Language. / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 23, 2011
Ola one:

grin cheesy

I tried "tricky" 3 times and I got 15 . .15 . . 15.
With your Scottish accent, the fiendish will fetch you . . . hmm . . . 2.5 (yeah, 2 and a half) tongue.

My Isale is the best on NL. The only NLander who got 11.

BTW, I live near Guildford. Ask Seun tongue

You did tricky a whopping 3 times shocked ? You really need to move outta Peckham, all those "waher and inni" accents are affecting your hearing a lot more than you know.

Isn't 14 greater than 11? tongue
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by isalegan2: 1:39pm On Sep 23, 2011
Hmm. I'm trying to stay out of trouble o.  But folks won't leave Isale alone oo.  You all see oooh!

Lol.

Anyway, (1) the test is not supposed to be OPEN BOOK!  I'm just saying.  tongue grin grin grin

(2) Furthermore, I just took the "British" version. (Ola2, btw, it is not the pronunciation, it is the spelling.  I'm sure you know that American English deviates somewhat from authentic English spelling, e.g., Judgement/Judgment, Organise/Organize, Colour/Color, etc.)
Yes, I took it, and I scored 14, missing phlegm, cos the dumbass Oyinbo man said "flan."

(3) Even still, to submit even more argument - because everything we do here in America, we do it hard angry tongue - our, US English, test is harder than yours cos you people are softies and the whole world knows it, so yeah, Oxford language folks have to go easy on you.

I can't remember the rest of my argument.  But, I'm still rearing to go, so please, don't push me.  angry cool
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 8:57pm On Sep 23, 2011
smiley smiley Okay. Okay.

Both of you have 15/15. I am proud of you. Resolved! cool It's 1:1 goalless draw

PS:
We need to know Stranger's score though.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by isalegan2: 9:06pm On Sep 23, 2011
Psyched!  Fake fight. 

But I enjoyed the tests.  After a while, it feels like cheating 'cos you start getting some of the the same words.

I will concede my average score is[b] 11/15.[/b]  cool
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 9:49pm On Sep 23, 2011
What should follow after 'I thought'
e.g
I thought you ARE in love with Susan.
I thought you WERE in love with Susan.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 11:52pm On Sep 23, 2011
isale_gan2:

Psyched! Fake fight.

Yeah, I'm sure she understands it like that too. I love both of you the only difference is Naijababe don marry so I dey dey careful with moi choice of word with her make I no infuriate her or do anything infradig. If not I for don beg relocate go Scotland sef. If she no go throw me inside dem snow.

Happy to know both of u sha.

isale_gan2:

I will concede my average score is[b] 11/15.[/b] cool

grin cheesy

Mai God! What's d meaning of this? Your average score? Abeg, 11 is 11 no average score oo. Abi e no reach 11 ni? tongue tongue
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 11:56pm On Sep 23, 2011
Contumely:

What should follow after 'I thought'
e.g
I thought you ARE in love with Susan.
I thought you WERE in love with Susan.

Hello Contumely tongue
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Nobody: 12:10am On Sep 24, 2011
Ola one:

Yeah, I'm sure she understands it like that too. I love both of you the only difference is Naijababe don marry so I dey dey careful with moi choice of word with her make I no infuriate her or do anything infradig. If not I for don beg relocate go Scotland sef. If she no go throw me inside dem snow.

Happy to know both of u sha.
grin cheesy

Mai God! What's d meaning of this? Your average score? Abeg, 11 is 11 no average score oo. Abi e no reach 11 ni? tongue tongue

Shuo shocked shocked shocked. Love both of us ke? NB doesn't do sharing angry
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 12:25am On Sep 24, 2011
naijababe:

Shuo shocked shocked shocked. Love both of us ke? NB doesn't do sharing angry
wink

One day one day, you go see me for Scotland. I don tell ya.

And, I mean it oo.

PS:

We don miss you for the other thread oo.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by semid4lyfe(m): 1:04am On Sep 24, 2011
Prof, this one wey u dey post with another ID, shey spambot do you sumtin ni? grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:09am On Sep 24, 2011
semid4lyfe:

Prof, this one wey u dey post with another ID, shey spambot do you sumtin ni? grin

Chei! I no sey you dey lurk ni, you bin around. cool

Well, na Seun's bot ban me oo, for this thread.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 6:36pm On Sep 24, 2011
Ola one:

Hello Contumely tongue
Okay thanks.
Could you please explain
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:04pm On Sep 24, 2011
Contumely:

Okay thanks.
Could you please explain

smiley

Nice one, Contumely.

Could you please explain why you used "thought" instead of "think?"
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 11:42am On Sep 26, 2011
If I knew I would
Ola one:

smiley

Nice one, Contumely.

Could you please explain why you used "thought" instead of "think?"
If I knew I wouldn't be asking.
Must tense correspon in a sentence no matter the situation?
Thank you.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 11:44am On Sep 26, 2011
Pls answer
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 11:51am On Sep 26, 2011
I asked this question on page 57 but it wasnt answered:
UNIBEN has started its/their exams.
It/they would have postponed it.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 11:54am On Sep 26, 2011
Another question I asked before with no answer:
My students, One of the things I thought yesterday is/are figures of speech.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:32pm On Sep 26, 2011
Contumely:

If I knew I wouldIf I knew I wouldn't be asking.
Thank you.

Not a convincing argument. Sorry!
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:33pm On Sep 26, 2011
Contumely:

I asked this question on page 57 but it wasnt answered:
UNIBEN has started its/their exams.
It/they would have postponed it.

The statements are CORRECT.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:34pm On Sep 26, 2011
Contumely:

My students, One of the things I thought yesterday[b] is[/b]/are [b]f[/b]igures of [b]s[/b]peech.

[b]F[/b]igures of [b]S[/b]peech
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 10:31pm On Sep 26, 2011
Contumely:

Thank you.

NO.

This statement, for example, is correct:

it’s thought he may have collapsed from shock
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 12:54am On Sep 27, 2011
Contumely:

Ola one:

[b]F[/b]igures of [b]S[/b]peech
Sorry, I was trying to know which of the tenses was correct as in My students, is/was figures of speech.
So should it be is/was.
Thanks for your help.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:00am On Sep 27, 2011
Contumely:

Sorry, I was trying to know which of the tenses was correct as in My students, is/was figures of speech.
So should it be is/was.
Thanks for your help.

IS
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:10am On Sep 27, 2011
Contumely:

So should it be is/was.
Thanks for your help.

Sorry just noticed this

So, it's no longer "IS/ARE?" It's now IS/WAS?

Hmmm
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:13am On Sep 27, 2011
Contumely:

Did you mean "taught?"

"IS" and "WAS" are CORRECT.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 9:54am On Sep 27, 2011
AUTOLOGICALITY:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2011/09/autologicality?fsrc=nlw|newe|09-26-11|new_on_the_economist
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 11:09am On Sep 27, 2011
^^^
Okay Ola, thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 11:12am On Sep 27, 2011
Question:
Excuse me young lady. Are/were you not the one I saw at the market?
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 11:15am On Sep 27, 2011
Another question:
My name is Emeka.
He said that his name is/was Emeka.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 11:48am On Sep 27, 2011
Contumely, u go kill me oo

grin
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Olaone1: 1:53pm On Sep 27, 2011
Contumely:

Question:
Excuse me young lady. Are/were you not the one I saw at the market?

Use "were".

Because you're not SURE.

Contumely:

Another question:
My name is Emeka.
He said that his name is/was Emeka.

The rules are changing, my brother. Decades ago, you would say "was" (examined as a reported speech).

But, today, "is" is correct. Also, because this is a true statement (my name is Emeka), the present tense is allowed.

PS:
Sorry, Contumely, I have had enough of these questions NOW! Thanks.
Re: ABC Of Common Errors And Mistakes In English by Contumely: 6:38pm On Sep 27, 2011
Ah Ola, i no fit kil u na.
Any thanks. I will buy you 9th mile (Enugu) okpa with La casera.

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (72) (Reply)

LAUTECH Student's Leaked Sex Video: Story Behind The Sex Tape, The Girl Reacts / Zainab: Student Commits Suicide Over Her JAMB Score. Leaves Note For Her Parents / Female US Teacher Had Sex With Boy, 13, In Classroom & Even Moved Into His Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.