Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,817 members, 7,827,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

Utomi Joins Presidential Race - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Utomi Joins Presidential Race (3450 Views)

2015: Yerima Joins Presidential Race / Tambuwal Joins Presidential Race, APC Intrigues Deepen / Ovation Publisher, Dele Momodu Joins Presidential Race! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Utomi Joins Presidential Race by chyz(m): 2:27am On Sep 24, 2010
[size=18pt]Utomi joins presidential race[/size]

Ayo Okulaja

September 23, 2010 11:46PM

The Protem National Chairman of the Social Democratic Mega Party (SDMP), Pat Utomi, has announced his decision to join the 2011 presidential race on the platform of the party.

This would be the second time that Mr Utomi is taking a shot at the presidency. He was the presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress in the 2007 general election, during which he polled 50,849 votes (0.14% of the total).

Declaring his intent at a news conference in Lagos on Thursday, Mr Utomi said he will officially declare his ambition in three weeks.

I will be making a formal declaration in three weeks' time. It will be in response to calls from various quarters for me to run. ``It will be unwise to shy away from the challenge of continuing to seek for a change in Nigeria," he said.

The presidential applicant promised to prioritise development of education and improve the nation's healthcare delivery if elected, whilst he warned that the desired change in Nigeria would not be achieved if ‘Nigerians failed to elect credible leaders.'

"The SDMP considers the electoral process the key to legitimacy of regimes and such legitimacy is critical to policy implementation," he said "We want to particularly focus on the youth who, for too long, have been made powerless as a few people made nonsense of our democracy. If those between the ages of 18 and 30 register and determine to vote to secure their future, the shame that has been our experience will be wiped out."

Youth mobilisation

He urged the youth to mobilise the populace toward the 2011 elections by enlightening the masses on the need to vote for candidates of their choices, as well as the need to defend their votes.

Mr Utomi also called on the youth to organise public debates and invite all political applicants to tell people about their plans, in order to hold such aspirants accountable.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5622484-146/utomi_joins_presidential_race__.csp
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by chyz(m): 2:30am On Sep 24, 2010
Although I would love  for him to be president, now ain't the time for him to run for presidency.This is a bad move. embarassed
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by Nobody: 2:34am On Sep 24, 2010
chyz:

Although I would love  for him to be president, now ain't the time for him to run for presidency.This is a bad move. embarassed
Cheiii, you get sense like this. We thank God o. [expecting a nasty reply] tongue tongue

@post

Nigeria has spoken o!
God Bless Goodluck, God bless Nigeria!

[flash=450,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQuJihVkVHE?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1[/flash]
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by chyz(m): 2:39am On Sep 24, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Cheiii, you get sense like this. We thank God o. [expecting a nasty reply] tongue tongue

@post

Nigeria has spoken o!
God Bless Goodluck, God bless Nigeria!

[flash=450,300]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQuJihVkVHE?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1[/flash]

If not for ur profile pic i would have definitely rolled up my sleeves and took a shot wink
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by exx(m): 12:18pm On Sep 24, 2010
The man should run for senate where he can still make an impact in government if he wins
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 24, 2010
This man has turned himself into a Perenial Presidential candidate.

He has had a go a few times, he should forget it and join forces with those who want what he wants.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by wesley80(m): 1:16pm On Sep 24, 2010
Too bad that such a national asset both politically and intellectually cannot become the Governor of his homestate (Delta) not to speak of becoming president of Nigeria. just too bad
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by monkeyleg: 1:20pm On Sep 24, 2010
@Mikeansy,

If memory serves, this is the second time PU is running, however I think he would have been better off pulling forces together. This is the problem we have in Nigeria. Eveyone wants to lead. There is so much pride that people think it must be them who leads.

Nigerians politics is so disorganised and directionless, so chaotic. Parties stand for and represent nothing.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by MaziUche0(m): 1:32pm On Sep 24, 2010
Pat Utomi has always had my support. Too bad that the Nigerian people do not want leaders of his caliber. If you visit his website, he makes a lot of sense and the man is highly educated and a good businessman.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by monkeyleg: 1:37pm On Sep 24, 2010
@MaziUche,

I totaly agree with you, and I have had the good futune of meeting the man. He is what we probably need, but Nigeria is not in a position to let people like him thrive. The politics of Nigeria is just too bad, just like everything in our country. This man has the potential to move our country leaps, by attracting some of the best, but Nigeria as a country will not let that happen. Nigerians are not ready for that sort of change.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by chyz(m): 1:44pm On Sep 24, 2010
monkeyleg:

@MaziUche,

I totaly agree with you, and I have had the good futune of meeting the man. He is what we probably need, but Nigeria is not in a position to let people like him thrive. The politics of Nigeria is just too bad, just like everything in our country. This man has the potential to move our country leaps, by attracting some of the best, but Nigeria as a country will not let that happen. Nigerians are not ready for that sort of change.

I met him earlier this year at an event in DC for Igbos.politicains came,business men, poets,etc. He's a great guy, I just think he should wait until we all come together as igbos and we can put him up as a consensus candidate but for now going for senate or governor would have been better.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by wesley80(m): 1:50pm On Sep 24, 2010
chyz:

I met him earlier this year at an event in DC for Igbos.politicains came,business men, poets,etc. He's a great guy, I just think he should wait until we all come together as igbos and we can put him up as a consensus candidate but for now going for senate or governor would have been better.

So have the Igbos accepted him as an Igbo really? Or when the chips are down they start knowing who is a true blooded Igbo and who is not.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by monkeyleg: 1:52pm On Sep 24, 2010
@Chyz,

I so agree with you, but the politics of delta state would not let Pat prevail. He is a decent man, who has so much to offer
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by chyz(m): 1:53pm On Sep 24, 2010
wesley80:

So have the Igbos accepted him as an Igbo really? Or when the chips are down they start knowing who is a true blooded Igbo and who is not.

Anyways he came and the guy's very brilliant. He may come again next year, it would be good to voice to him alot of what is said here on nairaland.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by monkeyleg: 1:58pm On Sep 24, 2010
@Chyz,

I hear he will be in the UK some time in November, I will make efforts to see him. Such a great guy. The story at some point was that he was teaming up with Ribadu and El-Rufai, not quite sure what happened to that plan. But a Pat / El or Pat / Nuhu would have been a good combination. But let us see
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by chyz(m): 2:02pm On Sep 24, 2010
monkeyleg:

@Chyz,

I so agree with you, but the politics of delta state would not let Pat prevail. He is a decent man, who has so much to offer

I think pat needs to read the book "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli, i think it will be of great help to him. When he learns to get down and dirty with the hard hitters than he can make his way around than spread his real agenda. Pat Utomi is like a Ralph Nader guy in nigeria when it comes to politics.Thats the problem if anything.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by monkeyleg: 2:06pm On Sep 24, 2010
@Chyz,

I think that is why he was trying to strike an alliance with those guys. Not sure what happened but I will ask him, if I see him.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by chyz(m): 2:08pm On Sep 24, 2010
monkeyleg:

@Chyz,

I hear he will be in the UK some time in November, I will make efforts to see him. Such a great guy. The story at some point was that he was teaming up with Ribadu and El-Rufai, not quite sure what happened to that plan. But a Pat / El or Pat / Nuhu would have been a good combination. But let us see

Are u from delta state?
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by sbeezy8: 2:16pm On Sep 24, 2010
unrealistic just like nuhu i dont see any of them winning in naija.

stick to being an activist
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by monkeyleg: 2:38pm On Sep 24, 2010
@chyz,

Yes I am from Delta state. And it pains me when I see a state with so much potential languishing in total corruption and mismanagement. But I love Delta state and her people. We just need to think about ouselves and work for the common good, something the present and past governor do not understand
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by chyz(m): 2:46pm On Sep 24, 2010
monkeyleg:

@chyz,

Yes I am from Delta state. And it pains me when I see a state with so much potential languishing in total corruption and mismanagement. But I love Delta state and her people. We just need to think about ouselves and work for the common good, something the present and past governor do not understand

Kool. Thats the funny thing about power and politics. Of course there are mismanagement in nigeria becuz of corruption.As far as the current status of delta state goes.i believe its not so much the state government but the Federal, becuz money is suppose to only go but so far and then the federal government is suppose to take care of the carry-over but it doesnt happen. what tribe are u?
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by naso2(m): 2:47pm On Sep 24, 2010
Good, na people like dis be ribadu mate. Jarus abeg change that GEJ/ribadu poll to  utomi/ribadu. Gej don big pass dis e-voting for NL.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by seyibrown(f): 2:50pm On Sep 24, 2010
Bookmarked
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 24, 2010
@monkeyLeg

This is the problem we have in Nigeria. Eveyone wants to lead.

what kind of generalisation is this? who are the everyone that wants to lead?
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 24, 2010
monkeyleg:

@Mikeansy,

If memory serves, this is the second time PU is running, however I think he would have been better off pulling forces together. This is the problem we have in Nigeria. Eveyone wants to lead. There is so much pride that people think it must be them who leads.

Nigerians politics is so disorganised and directionless, so chaotic. Parties stand for and represent nothing.

My anger with folks like Pat Utomi and Wole Soyinka and their likes is their inability to join forces and converge in a party like Labour Party. Make it an issue-based bottom-up party.

The reason PDP will remain the failure that it is is because they simply have no reason to change. They are still winning and sharing Naija money. PDP will never change out of goodwill.

Untill their is an alternative organised platform where folks show Nigerian people what multi-party politics is all about and what PDP have been failing to do. PDP will continue to have no reason to change because they are simply at no risk of loosing.

The issue of changing Nigeria is bigger than anyy one man's ego. Why folks like Pat Utomi, Soyinka, Duke, Ribadu, El-Rufai can not join forces under one party, encourage Nigerians to come forward and help them select the party flag bearer. When a party flag bearer is chosen all others simply support whoever is chosen and also support the party manefesto and ideology.

Its annoying at times, and sometimes I feel like asking them to stop wasting our time.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by MaziUche0(m): 3:07pm On Sep 24, 2010
Pat Utomi needs to read the 48 Laws of Power. I feel he is too nice, but that is his personality. But politics is not meant for nice guys, it is meant for hard hitters who will attack anyone who gets in their way.

Either way, he is a breath of fresh air who has amazing ideas.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by mbulela: 3:12pm On Sep 24, 2010
mikeansy:

My anger with folks like Pat Utomi and Wole Soyinka and their likes is their inability to join forces and converge in a party like Labour Party. Make it an issue-based bottom-up party.

The reason PDP will remain the failure that it is is because they simply have no reason to change. They are still winning and sharing Naija money. PDP will never change out of goodwill.

Untill their is an alternative organised platform where folks show Nigerian people what multi-party politics is all about and what PDP have been failing to do. PDP will continue to have no reason to change because they are simply at no risk of loosing.

The issue of changing Nigeria is bigger than anyy one man's ego. Why folks like Pat Utomi, Soyinka, Duke, Ribadu, El-Rufai can not join forces under one party, encourage Nigerians to come forward and help them select the party flag bearer. When a party flag bearer is chosen all others simply support whoever is chosen and also support the party manefesto and ideology.

Its annoying at times, and sometimes I feel like asking them to stop wasting our time.
you have made a salient point that would seem prophetic in the very near future.
I have come to believe that the change we need would never be voluntary.
The only people who will save us from a violent bloody revolution are the kind of men you mentioned above.
If they refuse to come together and present a common front to fight the common enemy, then the ticking time bomb would only tick faster and will explode sooner rather than later.
painfully, these men prefer to massage their egos in mushroom and inconsequential parties that would never make a difference while the barbarians capture and gouge the centre stage.
what stops the likes of Buhari, Ribadu, Soyinka, Agbakoba, Falana, Sani and even Fashola presenting a common front?
I believe in miracles but nothing on the ground makes me expect a different outcome in the next few months.
The barbarians will return to power and continue awarding more contracts of billions for the purchase of bins and maybe air freshener.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by monkeyleg: 3:24pm On Sep 24, 2010
@Mikeansy,

you captured my view beautifully. Issue based politics, and a vision driven party.

@Chyz,

I am Delta Ibo
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by chyz(m): 3:37pm On Sep 24, 2010
monkeyleg:

@Chyz,

I am Delta Ibo

I hear GEJ may be announcing the granting of new state on Oct.1 hopefully it is true and anioma will be one of them, if he doesnt announce it then went Utomi comes to the UK try ur best to convince the dude to do watever he can to make anioma state happen. Presidency is not important to the Igbo right now.it is rather too late. What region do u think anioma should go to, SE or SS?
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by Echidime(m): 3:40pm On Sep 24, 2010
He is very foolish to want to run when we are still trying to deal with northerners and put our brother his own brother goodluck in power,what does he stand to gain by sharing votes meant for goodluck?
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by MaziUche0(m): 3:46pm On Sep 24, 2010
Echidime:

He is very foolish to want to run when we are still trying to deal with northerners and put our brother his own brother goodluck in power,what does he stand to gain by sharing votes meant for goodluck?

It is God given right to run for president, so enough with your nonsense.
Re: Utomi Joins Presidential Race by monkeyleg: 3:54pm On Sep 24, 2010
@Chyz,

They are likely to go SE. I will try my best to see PU. He is a good man, with good ideas, but even I am begining to feel tired of the whole struggle. Its as if Nigerians are not ready to face up to the real challenges that face us. The truth is that corruption and mismanagement will continue to win in tha country. I have honestly given up hope of seeing change in my generation, maybe our kids might stand a better chance.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reps Reject Motion To Return Police Checkpoints / Accident Today At Unizik Junction - Picture / Apc Is The Biggest Party In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.