Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,793 members, 7,824,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? (6500 Views)

Why Do Athiest Belief There Is No GOD? / Athiest Claim: If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace? / How can INTELLIGENT people believe in EVOLUTION ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by daylae(m): 5:47pm On Oct 17, 2010
You've really tried your best avoiding the questions and comfirmations i put to you;but is unaccetable the fact that your decline is on baseless accusations. Am a participating fan of science,and i know that most scientist(even the greatest ones) believe there is a creator. Am not trying to convince you,but at least don't make your stands on sheer ignorant of what's at stake;cus it is one thing to be wrong,and another not to know it. And that's worst.

I must tell you also that you cannot comprehend God or his purposes by using telescopes,microscopes,or other scientific instruments. Think of a potter and a vase that he has formed. No amount of examination of the vase itself can give an answer as to why it was made. For that,we must ask the potter himself. I don't go to a biology book to learn the essence of life;or the question of why we are here.
There is no incompatability between science and religion. Both are seeking the same truth. Science show that God exist,but to think otherwise is meaningless.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 6:04pm On Oct 17, 2010
A roll-call for atheist scientists and Christian scientists or Muslim will not be helpful in determining the Truth, first the creator should have a creator likewise and as the most complex being of the universe(irreducibly complex). Does science hold that the sky is home any deity? Or the first man was almost 100ft tall?

Your basis for a god, is there solid evidence? Did you accept the faith without question, coz it satisfies your psychological needs?

In the past, reasonable men have believed in deities of their times, namely Zeus or Jupiter, Baal. . . Is your god any different from theirs? On what basis if so?

According to Socrates, the first thing is to admit we know nothing, then fill up our knowledge, and not by guessing.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by daylae(m): 6:05pm On Oct 17, 2010
I believe you decide to ignore the truth,thinking this exempt you from realities. You cannot sit on the fence. And the believe that, "if i cant see it,i won't believe it doesn't work here.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 6:12pm On Oct 17, 2010
If you couldn't see him and where you able to ascertain his presence? Explain further. . .
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by thehomer: 7:59pm On Oct 17, 2010
daylae:

@thehomer why are you dangling issues? Didn't you read the topic? The topic and previous posts argued that athiest are most intelligent people,which i refuted the claim by saying that athiesm does not profess intelligence;its just the decision not to believe in God. Any one can be intelligent, or not. I also said if at all we are talking of a kind of religion that focusses on such,scientology should be considered. Just so we both know,athiesm is not even a religion in the first place;so what's the fuse about? Were not here to outclass each other,rather were here to share views and knowledge. Pls don't see it as a competition. This part is far settled.

Polls at least in the U.S. seem to suggest that at least on the basis of knowledge about religion, Atheists have more knowledge.
How does Scientology focus on religion? What makes you think I'm trying to outclass you? I'm simply presenting my views with some reasons to back them up.

daylae:

All u highlighted about reincarnation and so on, are they not human philosophy of life? Its the method of human discovering his inner self,and nature at large. And that's where indepth and rational thinking comes in(scientology). You can say one thing in different words,and yet,still make the same meaning.

How is it rational given the methods available to us an what we know to believe in concepts such as the soul and reincarnation? Adding to that the controversies surrounding the religion?

daylae:

The universe must have a beginning but what scientist can't explain is why. The answer is God. The only person that can answer all these question is the creator of the universe himself. And the bible is where you can get the substantiated truth. And over the years,many scientist validated its authenticity. While others that missioned to discredit is validity failed. Check my previous post to read more. You are not created by acident. The biggest calamity that can befell one is not knowing your origin,therefore relying of other human like you to tell you,which the answers they bring always spring-up many more questions . Its degrading!

Sure scientists may not be able to say why the universe began, but no one can either. Simply claiming "God did it" is a non-answer. It can even be considered a bad answer.
Again another claim dragging scientists into verifying the Bible. Have you considered the multitude of evidence against the Bible that has been presented and verified many times over by reputable scientists?
I think it's quite exciting and freeing getting some insights into how we came to be here. Try checking out the scientific explanations of our origins I think its very uplifting. The very opposite of degrading.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by daylae(m): 8:23pm On Oct 17, 2010
To start with;maybe you can see,even grab the air you breathe. But if you're denied even few seconds of it,you know how unconfortable that is.

To have think that some people see and comprehend things beyond your own noble understanding,they must be insane,exibits your level of fatuity.

I can now conclude beyond doubts that some people are truly wise,some are otherwise;while others choose to be wheather wise. Its takes wisdom to understand thist truth.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by daylae(m): 8:43pm On Oct 17, 2010
sad
thehomer:

Polls at least in the U.S. seem to suggest that at least on the basis of knowledge about religion, Atheists have more knowledge.
How does Scientology focus on religion? What makes you think I'm trying to outclass you? I'm simply presenting my views with some reasons to back them up.

How is it rational given the methods available to us an what we know to believe in concepts such as the soul and reincarnation? Adding to that the controversies surrounding the religion?

Sure scientists may not be able to say why the universe began, but no one can either. Simply claiming "God did it" is a non-answer. It can even be considered a bad answer.
Again another claim dragging scientists into verifying the Bible. Have you considered the multitude of evidence against the Bible that has been presented and verified many times over by reputable scientists?
I think it's quite exciting and freeing getting some insights into how we came to be here. Try checking out the scientific explanations of our origins I think its very uplifting. The very opposite of degrading.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Kay17: 8:59pm On Oct 17, 2010
Among those who claim there are gods or god, they have a hard time defining him/her. Could give me the reasons why Zeus is not god?
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by daylae(m): 9:09pm On Oct 17, 2010
@thehomer am sure dying to see the polls.

You've meddled all together. If i can understand you,youre saying athiesm is a religion? Mann! Its just not true my friend.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by thehomer: 10:20pm On Oct 17, 2010
daylae:

To start with;maybe you can see,even grab the air you breathe. But if you're denied even few seconds of it,you know how unconfortable that is.

So what?

daylae:

To have think that some people see and comprehend things beyond your own noble understanding,they must be insane,exibits your level of fatuity.

You're confusing claims to knowledge with actual knowledge. Do you understand concepts such as the soul or reincarnation?

daylae:

I can now conclude beyond doubts that some people are truly wise,some are otherwise;while others choose to be wheather wise. Its takes wisdom to understand thist truth.

And I conclude that some people are simply too gullible or naive or both.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by thehomer: 10:36pm On Oct 17, 2010
daylae:

@thehomer am sure dying to see the polls.

You've meddled all together. If i can understand you,youre saying athiesm is a religion? Mann! Its just not true my friend. 

No I never said or implied that it was a religion. Remember that you were the one comparing it to Scientology which is a religion.

Here's the poll site: http://pewforum.org/Other-Beliefs-and-Practices/U-S-Religious-Knowledge-Survey.aspx

Here's a summary of the poll.

Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by daylae(m): 10:45am On Oct 18, 2010
This is just a religious knowledge survey,and it didn't say "athiest are the most intelligent people on earth," as the topic did. A general knowledge and intelligence survey will decide that. What are you saying my friend? The survey even said that "athiests and agnostics,jews and mormons are ammong the highest scoring groups," during the survey. Are you saying jews and mormons don't believe in God? Oh my! . . . Also, the survey is just for this year 2010. Did you care to look at the previous years results? I rest my case. This is no effort at all!

I made a comparison about athiesm and scientology for clarity purpose.

My comment about you not being able to see the air you breathe was just an expression. Because you can't see something does not mean they are not there. Hold your breath a few seconds and see how much your life depends on it. Because you can't see God doesn't mean he exist not! You're just enjoying his long-suffering!

I think you should take a break on why God doesn't exist for the moment,and start focussing on why he does exist. Bring out your conclusions,facts,and figures on both;and then make a comparison. Av done that. It helped.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by yommyuk: 10:57am On Oct 18, 2010
Are Athiest the most intelligent people??

Absolutely not cool
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by daylae(m): 1:57pm On Oct 18, 2010
^^^I thought as much too.

If being able to argue blindly is the method use to measure ones intelligence propensity,then the quest for knowledge will be a waste of time.

At least to start with,people i know making good grades,and people doing marvelously well in their various ventures are not atheist.
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by PastorAIO: 5:02pm On Oct 18, 2010
What is Intelligence?
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by thehomer: 8:15pm On Oct 18, 2010
daylae:

This is just a religious knowledge survey,and it didn't say "athiest are the most intelligent people on earth," as the topic did. A general knowledge and intelligence survey will decide that. What are you saying my friend? The survey even said that "athiests and agnostics,jews and mormons are ammong the highest scoring groups," during the survey. Are you saying jews and mormons don't believe in God? Oh my! . . . Also, the survey is just for this year 2010. Did you care to look at the previous years results? I rest my case. This is no effort at all!

You seem to misunderstand your own request. You asked to see the polls about religious knowledge and I presented it here for you to evaluate.
Well, what group was at the top? You should realize that all the other groups together are not Athiests or Agnostics.

daylae:

I made a comparison about athiesm and scientology for clarity purpose.

Well it didn't make anything clear which is what I've been pointing out to you. You'd be better off comparing Scientology to Christianity or Islam or some other religion.

daylae:

My comment about you not being able to see the air you breathe was just an expression. Because you can't see something does not mean they are not there. Hold your breath a few seconds and see how much your life depends on it. Because you can't see God doesn't mean he exist not! You're just enjoying his long-suffering!

It's not about simply relying on the sense of sight. It's also about detecting it by other means available to us.

daylae:

I think you should take a break on why God doesn't exist for the moment,and start focussing on why he does exist. Bring out your conclusions,facts,and figures on both;and then make a comparison. Av done that. It helped.

No you've not done that. And you now expect me to do your work for you?
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by thehomer: 8:19pm On Oct 18, 2010
daylae:

^^^I thought as much too.

If being able to argue blindly is the method use to measure ones intelligence propensity,then the quest for knowledge will be a waste of time.

At least to start with,people i know making good grades,and people doing marvelously well in their various ventures are not atheist.

And what do you make of your last line above? Have you considered those that are doing well that are Atheists? How about the percentage of scientists in prestigious academies that are non-theists?
Re: Are Athiest The Most Intelligent People? ? by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 29, 2014
Atheists are hardly the most intelligent people.. just that they are more open-minded than most

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ananta Bijoy Das Hacked To Death For Criticizing Islam / Mazaje When Did You Leave Christianity? / All atheists worship and rever God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.