Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,085 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post (934 Views)

EFCC Deletes Controversial Social Media Post On Ex-minister, Diezani / Gandollar: Maryam Shetty's Social Media Post About Ganduje (Throwback Photo) / Biden Threatens Financial, Visa Sanctions Against Nigeria, Others Over Anti-gay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by gbengress1: 5:43pm On May 17, 2019
Australian rugby union star Israel Folau has been sacked after he posted an anti-gay statement on social media.

A devout Christian who has made 73 international appearances for the Wallabies, Folau was found guilty of a code of conduct breach last week, following a homophobic social media post, which listed "drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters," reading underneath, "Hell awaits you."
The controversial Instagram post in April has not been deleted.
A three-person tribunal decided on Friday that Folau's contract with Rugby Australia should be terminated.
In a statement after his sacking was confirmed by Rugby Australia, Folau said he was "deeply saddened" by the outcome.
"It has been a privilege and an honor to represent Australia and my home state of New South Wales, playing the game I love," he stated.
Folau played 73 Tests for Australia.
Folau played 73 Tests for Australia.
"I am deeply saddened by today's decision to terminate my employment and I am considering my options.
"As Australians, we are born with certain rights, including the right to freedom of religion and the right to freedom of expression.
"The Christian faith has always been a part of my life and I believe it is my duty as a Christian to share God's word. Upholding my religious beliefs should not prevent my ability to work or play for my club or country."
He has 72 hours to appeal the decision.
Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Rugby Australia chief executive officer Raelene Castle added: "This is a decision that will change the landscape for sport in Australia and possibly across the world ... we wanted to make sure we took the time to get the decision right.
"While Rugby Australia accepts the panel's decision directing termination of Israel Folau's contract for his high-level breach of the code of conduct, we want to stress that this outcome is a painful situation for the game.
The Australia international has 72 hours to appeal the decision.
The Australia international has 72 hours to appeal the decision.
"In rugby, there is not a place for someone that puts their views or position in front of everyone else's.
"That is true of every employee that we have at Rugby Australia, not just the player base, every employee for Rugby Australia, we all need to work together and lived to the values of Rugby Australia."
Folau's multi-million dollar contract with Rugby Australia would have run until 2022, but the ruling effectively ends his rugby career.
Folau was also dropped as a brand ambassador by sportswear brand Asics in the aftermath, with the company describing its partnership with the 30-year-old as "untenable".
Speaking at a church service in Sydney on the Sunday after the comments appeared on his social media platforms, Folau described the situation as "very challenging", but revealed there had been "opportunities to potentially make the situation a little bit easier," comparing a return to rugby to "the way that Satan works".
READ: Rahul Bose: Indian movie star on his one true passion -- rugby
READ: Bonebreaking, horseback archery, scrummaging: How rugby came to Mongolia
Play Video

The 9/11 hero whose legacy lives on through rugby 02:36
"I could probably go back and be able to play the game and get everything back to the way it used to be," said Folau in a video posted on Facebook by The Truth of Jesus Christ Church Sydney.
"The way that Satan works, he offers you stuff that could look good to the eye and makes you feel comfortable. And if you go down that path, all the worries and troubles will go away."
But he added: "When we come to Christ it's no longer our will any more. It's always the will of God that comes first."

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/17/sport/israel-folau-spt-intl/index.html
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by Righteousness89(m): 5:45pm On May 17, 2019
Just in One Day,

Taiwan Signs into Law Same Sex Unions despite the fact that the Majority of its citizens are against it..

Isreal Folau an Australian Rugby Player is Sacked From His club because He tweets against Abomination of Gay/Lesbian,etc ..

Yet Some Persons are still Joking with their Lives and the Coming of JESUS...

ITS SO RISKY NOT TO BE GENUINELY SAVED THROUGH JESUS....

You Can't Stand the Events on Earth After the RAPTURE

ITS SO RISKY TO BE LIVING IN SIN TODAY..

THE COST OF LIVING IN SIN IS SOO HIGH

SALVATION THROUGH JESUS CHRIST IS FREE!

JESUS IS COMING! CANT U SEE IT!

Amend your ways NOW!

Any interested in THE KING of kings should Utter these prayer

3 Likes

Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by decatalyst(m): 5:48pm On May 17, 2019
May God help this our generation.

Someone is speaking about what he perceived as not right, then he just got sacked!

1 Like

Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by nepapole(m): 5:54pm On May 17, 2019
Endtimes.
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by gbengress1: 6:23pm On May 17, 2019
That is serious
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by OlujobaSamuel: 6:35pm On May 17, 2019
Smiles, speaks against LGBT rights and he was sacked, speaks in favour of same and so many would make him an ambassador including the idiots that sacked him, where then is the so called freedom of expression and religion?
This world sef

2 Likes

Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by matify83: 6:35pm On May 17, 2019
Hate speech!

He should have known that not all societies would tolerate such tirade especially coming from someone of his status.

I quite understand how we feel about the LGBT thing but when you are in Rome, of course you should conform or be discarded.

You can't express your religious proclivities on open minded people in such communities without getting burnt.

2 Likes

Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 8:14pm On May 17, 2019
Freedom of speech kill you there!
This is hate speech
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by HappyPagan: 8:22pm On May 17, 2019
Righteousness89:

Yet Some Persons are still Joking with their Lives and the Coming of JESUS...

Carry your dead body and three nails commot from here...
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by TheRealOwner(m): 9:03pm On May 17, 2019
BeLookingIDIOT:
Freedom of speech kill you there!
This is hate speech
Explain how it is hate speech
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by Armaggedon: 9:53pm On May 17, 2019
The west is turning communist and will soon need a revolution to restore sanity and democracy in its true form.
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by berbs: 10:14pm On May 17, 2019
decatalyst:
May God help this our generation.

Someone is speaking about what he perceived as not right, then he just got sacked!
And he had to condemn them that hell awaits them, abi? Is he God
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by Erebeshe: 7:58am On May 18, 2019
This is a sad development

freedom of speech has been sacrificed on the altar of social correctness
who is deceiving who, I'm yet to see a Gay president or lawmaker, why live in pretence

If religious fellows are not disgusted by comments made by atheist (who go unpunished), I wonder
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by Nobody: 8:01am On May 18, 2019
Erebeshe:
This is a sad development

freedom of speech has been sacrificed on the altar of social correctness
who is deceiving who, I'm yet to see a Gay president or lawmaker, why live in pretence

If religious fellows are not disgusted by comments made by atheist (who go unpunished), I wonder

Erm...there is the Prime Minister of Ireland, Leo Varadkar, who is gay, and married to a man.

There is the leader of Iceland too as well.

Belgian leader Eliot De rupo is gay as well....

Here is a list of LGBT leaders courtesy of Wikipedia.
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by Daviddson(m): 8:05am On May 18, 2019
The Western world is seriously preparing their own burial. While they're very tolerant of Islam and immigrant Muslims and allow them to build hundreds of mosques where they raise low key terrorists and demand for sharia and halal meat grin , they always wield the hammer on Christians who express their religious beliefs.

1 Like

Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by BuhariAdvocate: 8:10am On May 18, 2019
That's how he end his career .they will not even honor him hate speech shouldn't be Condone.
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by Erebeshe: 8:21am On May 18, 2019
tactius:

Erm...there is the Prime Minister of Ireland, Leo Varadkar, who is gay, and married to a man.

There is the leader of Iceland too as well.

Belgian leader Eliot De rupo is gay as well....

Here is a list of LGBT leaders courtesy of Wikipedia.

thanks for the update really
but in all sense of clemency, if atheist are yet to be crucified for spilling thrash on God who some believe in, why is speaking up for one's religion a crime

this is yet to be addressed
correctness will bring in more harm than good, my take

1 Like

Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by Palehair: 8:59am On May 18, 2019
He's a complete hypocrite, get rid of your tattoos and don't be one-sided, then we will take you seriously, last I heard, tattoos were a major sin
Re: Israel Folau Sacked Following Anti-gay Social Media Post by Nobody: 9:34am On May 18, 2019
Daviddson:
The Western world is seriously preparing their own burial. While they're very tolerant of Islam and immigrant Muslims and allow them to build hundreds of mosques where they raise low key terrorists and demand for sharia and halal meat grin , they always wield the hammer on Christians who express their religious beliefs.
it's a time bomb waiting to happen.

They hate Christianity but love islam that want them dead both lgbt

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Gov Bello Gets Commendation From The New Commander, NA Records, Lokoja / The Real Making Of Emeka Okonkwo Aka "E-money" / Leader Of Ndigbo In Finland, Simon Ekpa, Condemns Statement Credited To Ohaneze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.