Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (155) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (972266 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (547) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 7:14pm On Aug 20, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

1. Accord will be more reliable. The first few years of the M272 and 7G-Tronic were bad.
2. Accord will outperform the C230 by far. More power, way more torque.
3. C230 looks better, has more class.
4. Meh, should be about the same.
5. C230 has an edge. Although both should be about the same under 160km/h or so.
6. C230 of that year and an engine with a defect. Also the transmission was just introduced and was yet to be perfected. Honda V6s of that generation had shite auto transmissions.
7. About the same. Accord has the bigger engine but VTEC helps with efficiency, so both are in the same 10km/l ballpark. Accord may even have a slight edge.

Lies. Lies and lies.... Only one point... Accord legs always pulls. Mercedes Benz nah..

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:22pm On Aug 20, 2018
weyreypey:

Lies. Lies and lies.... Only one point... Accord legs always pulls. Mercedes Benz nah..

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention the ball joint issue, although that's a poor maintenance issue for the most part.

radautoworks:

Chai. Mercedes has suffered with these comparisons! Es okay. At least it is c class... The budget Mercedes

Just doing the Lord's work, ma'am. I'm the biggest Mercedes fan boy on this board, but I still try to be objective in things like this. Also note that I never once advised the OP on what to buy. The Accord is almost definitely the better car but I'd probably buy the C Class if I were the one, flaws and all, just because it's a Mercedes.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 7:37pm On Aug 20, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention the ball joint issue, although that's a poor maintenance issue for the most part.

Just doing the Lord's work, ma'am. I'm the biggest Mercedes fan boy on this board, but I still try to be objective in things like this. Also note that I never once advised the OP on what to buy. The Accord is almost definitely the better car but I'd probably buy the C Class if I were the one, flaws and all, just because it's a Mercedes.

Actually meant the cars people compare to Mercedes now your your list. It gets weirder everyday.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:50pm On Aug 20, 2018
radautoworks:

Actually meant the cars people compare to Mercedes now your your list. It gets weirder everyday.

Ah, ok. Poor reading comprehension from me on that.
Surely you don't think Mercedes is the greatest, bestest car brand or any other such nonsense? I mean, a C Class is almost always going to be better than an Accord, but that year was a bad year, engine-wise. In fact, that entire generation was quite terrible. Daimler-Chrysler was Mercedes at its very worst.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 9:00pm On Aug 20, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Ah, ok. Poor reading comprehension from me on that.
Surely you don't think Mercedes is the greatest, bestest car brand or any other such nonsense? I mean, a C Class is almost always going to be better than an Accord, but that year was a bad year, engine-wise. In fact, that entire generation was quite terrible. Daimler-Chrysler was Mercedes at its very worst.

I'm a Mercedes baby but currently drive an Acura. Actually, last two have been Acuras. smiley wink

My mom loves to tell this story about being in a dealership overseas when i was a toddler. They couldn't find me for a while, and when they did i was in a Mercedes. I wouldn't get out. Long story short, they ended up buying the car grin

5 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by princevih(m): 1:21pm On Aug 21, 2018
i want 2 say a very big thank u 2 every1 who commented, especially d guy who gave answers d way i listed them. I will be going 4 d accord cus, going by wat u all said d accord will give less headache, just av 2 b careful with d ball joint issue. Once again thank u all.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 2:12pm On Aug 21, 2018
princevih:
i want 2 say a very big thank u 2 every1 who commented, especially d guy who gave answers d way i listed them. I will be going 4 d accord cus, going by wat u all said d accord will give less headache, just av 2 b careful with d ball joint issue. Once again thank u all.
I will advise you to test drive the two first. accord bawo

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Goldrush123: 4:57am On Aug 22, 2018
Good morning y'all,
I want to buy my first ever car so I'll say I know nothing about cars. I like the Benz brand but I have heard stories of how expensive it is to maintain compared to like Lexus brand.
I would really love to go for Benz E350 2011 but I'll like to know how expensive can it be to maintain, how much? Like how much for parts, repairs etc.
I would like to take maintenance and reliability into consideration. I can cope if the difference between benz and lexus in terms of money to maintain is not much. Please gurus, help a first timer?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:23am On Aug 22, 2018
Goldrush123:
Good morning y'all,
I want to buy my first ever car so I'll say I know nothing about cars. I like the Benz brand but I have heard stories of how expensive it is to maintain compared to like Lexus brand.
I would really love to go for Benz E350 2011 but I'll like to know how expensive can it be to maintain, how much? Like how much for parts, repairs etc.
I would like to take maintenance into consideration. I can cope if the difference between benz and lexus in terms of money to maintain is not that much. Please gurus, help a first timer?

Welcome to the Mercedes family. The 2011 E350 is an excellent choice, carry on.

You won't be losing out on much between parts compared to an ES or GS of the same year, and the E350 is definitely a better car than the ES, and about par with the GS.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 6:48am On Aug 22, 2018
Goldrush123:
Good morning y'all,
I would like to take maintenance and reliability into consideration. I can cope if the difference between benz and lexus in terms of money to maintain is not much. Please gurus, help a first timer?

Unless you have VERY deep pockets, or unless you happen to have a mother-in-law that can be hurriedly sold into slavery to raise money for horrendously expensive car repairs, do not, and I repeat do NOT, buy ANY car designed with that infernal air suspension system known in Nigeria as BALLOON.

The 2011 E350 is one such car, and the problem is described in the following link.

https://repairpal.com/problems/mercedes-benz/e350

https://repairpal.com/airmatic-pump-motors-may-fail-due-to-sticking-relays-105

https://repairpal.com/leaks-from-rear-air-springs-114#

If you disregard this dire warning and buy ANY car with air suspension, we will read your lamentations here in this forum, because that system WILL fail without warning, and you will at that point remember this cautionary tale.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by nurey(m): 7:01am On Aug 22, 2018
Jakumo:

Unless you have VERY deep pockets, or unless you happen to have a mother-in-law that can be hurriedly sold into slavery to raise money for horrendously expensive car repairs, do not, and I repeat do NOT, buy ANY car designed with that infernal air suspension system known in Nigeria as BALLOON.

The 2011 E350 is one such car, and the problem is described in the following link.

If you disregard this dire warning and buy ANY car with air suspension, we will read your lamentations here in this forum, because that system WILL fail without warning, and you will at that point remember this cautionary tale.

please I have a mother in-law for sale can you point me to the slavery market grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 7:10am On Aug 22, 2018
nurey:

please I have a mother in-law for sale can you point me to the slavery market grin

Ha ha na so. One's mother-in-law should never be sold for frivolous reasons, such as raising money to buy new rims, or to phimp your ride.

Only major mechanical repairs such as collapsed balloon suspensions, or transmission failures, warrant this drastic measure. My advice therefore is to keep her in reserve until a rainy day, painful as that may be to do.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:43am On Aug 22, 2018
Jakumo:

Ah, fook, I didn't know it uses an air suspension. Wouldn't have recommended it otherwise.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by weyreypey: 8:52am On Aug 22, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Ah, fook, I didn't know it uses an air suspension. Wouldn't have recommended it otherwise.
Lies you're just looking for someone to punish
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:57am On Aug 22, 2018
weyreypey:

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by MrBigiman: 9:03am On Aug 22, 2018
weyreypey:
Very deep comment.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Goldrush123: 9:47am On Aug 22, 2018
Lol it's like I should run with my two left legs ooo...
Probably the c class is ok, since it doesn't use the air suspension right

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Kewtt: 11:11am On Aug 22, 2018
Goldrush123:
Buy Japanese. Acura or lexus. Thank me later.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jakumo(m): 1:11pm On Aug 22, 2018
Goldrush123:

A C Class Mercedes riding on standard shock absorbers and springs, would be a much wiser choice than a newer E Class with air suspension. Check Edmunds.com to read owner reviews that will help identify the years of Mercedes C Class to avoid, due to known design defects that are well documented.

If you prefer the simplicity and superior reliability of a rear-wheel drive vehicle, then most Japanese cars will be ruled out, but if the drive train configuration is not of particular concern, then any Japanese car will do, since they all look the same to this die-hard Mercedes devotee.

This will be of little interest to new car users, but my stable of vintage cars includes a 1994 Mercedes E420, that has been converted to an E500 by the renowned mechanics at Kazeem Engineering PLC, who removed the puny 4.2 liter V8 engine, and dropped in a robust 5-liter V8 that originally sat in a R129 Mercedes 500SL, after a bare minimum of cutting and welding to relocate engine mounts.

This unassuming Clark Kent car smokes the back tires mercilessly from a standing start, and makes the tires chirp loudly on the road surface, as the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear, generating righteous G-forces that will put a smile on the face of anyone who loves raw, unbridled, rampaging horsepower. This DIY E500 Merc is my wolf in sheep's clothing, whose performance has raised many an eyebrow, whenever I am forced to gonzo-launch the car in order to establish my authority on the open road.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Goldrush123: 2:30pm On Aug 22, 2018
Jakumo:

A C Class Mercedes riding on standard shock absorbers and springs, would be a much wiser choice than a newer E Class with air suspension. Check Edmunds.com to read owner reviews that will help identify the years of Mercedes C Class to avoid, due to known design defects that are well documented.

If you prefer the simplicity and superior reliability of a rear-wheel drive vehicle, then most Japanese cars will be ruled out, but if the drive train configuration is not of particular concern, then any Japanese car will do, since they all look the same to this die-hard Mercedes devotee.

This will be of little interest to new car users, but my stable of vintage cars includes a 1994 Mercedes E420, that has been converted to an E500 by the renowned mechanics at Kazeem Engineering PLC, who removed the puny 4.2 liter V8 engine, and dropped in a robust 5-liter V8 that originally sat in a R129 Mercedes 500SL, after a bare minimum of cutting and welding to relocate engine mounts.

This unassuming Clark Kent car smokes the back tires mercilessly from a standing start, and makes the tires chirp loudly on the road surface, as the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear, generating righteous G-forces that will put a smile on the face of anyone who loves raw, unbridled, rampaging horsepower. This DIY E500 Merc is my wolf in sheep's clothing, whose performance has raised many an eyebrow, whenever I am forced to gonzo-launch the car in order to establish my authority on the open road.

Ok thanks. I guess a 2011 c300 is a good choice?

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 2:57pm On Aug 22, 2018
Jakumo:

Ha ha na so. One's mother-in-law should never be sold for frivolous reasons, such as raising money to buy new rims, or to phimp your ride.

Only major mechanical repairs such as collapsed balloon suspensions, or transmission failures, warrant this drastic measure. My advice therefore is to keep her in reserve until a rainy day, painful as that may be to do.

cheesy cheesy
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 2:59pm On Aug 22, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

I just told you that last page! Pay attention! wink

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 3:00pm On Aug 22, 2018
Goldrush123:

I think we've reached a consensus

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Goldrush123: 3:09pm On Aug 22, 2018
Thank you guys for your contribution. I appreciate it.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:28pm On Aug 22, 2018
Goldrush123:

Yes, it's probably your best bet, since the C Class was facelifted that year. Though, I must add. It's a massive step down from an E Class to a C Class, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you're not bent on getting a three-pointed star, why not look at other cars?

The 2009 Infiniti G37 is a beast, and will outperform pretty much any non-AMG W204. It was built by Infiniti to copy and challenge the BMW 3-series, and we all know that 3-series>>C Class in terms of driving ability.

Another excellent performance choice is the GS350. RWD, and 300+ HP. It's way more luxurious than the C Class–positioned against the E Class–and also outperforms it, although the C Class may handle slightly better.

A good balance between luxury and performance is the Acura TL with SH-AWD. 286 HP, a distinct design factor, and enough luxury.

Lastly, if you're looking for ultimate luxury, look at the LS460. You won't have as much fun driving it as you would the C Class but it's just wayyyyy more car.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:31pm On Aug 22, 2018
radautoworks:

I just told you that last page! Pay attention! wink

Lol, I know air suspensions are an option on the W211 E320/350, so I assumed it carried over to the W212.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 3:46pm On Aug 22, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Lol, I know air suspensions are an option on the W211 E320/350, so I assumed it carried over to W212.

I'm down with the Acura but for ease, let him start with the c-class. To maintain the others will be too much for him without an excellent mechanic.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:56pm On Aug 22, 2018
radautoworks:

I'm down with the Acura but for ease, let him start with the c-class. To maintain the others will be too much for him without an excellent mechanic.

He has 7m+ for the purchase, surely maintenance costs aren't a problem? And even then, I doubt the GS is any more complicated than the C Class. It's a Toyota, lol.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Goldrush123: 5:10pm On Aug 22, 2018
It seems the consensus here is going for the c class since respective Lexus gs is almost the same price in maintenance.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by radautoworks: 5:11pm On Aug 22, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

He has 7m+ for the purchase, surely maintenance costs aren't a problem? And even then, I doubt the GS is any more complicated than the C Class. It's a Toyota, lol.

I meant maintenance from point of knowledge and accessibility not cost. GS I think has more potential for the Kazeems to have a field day. I could be wrong though. C is good starter car for upper middle class I think.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:32pm On Aug 22, 2018
radautoworks:

I meant maintenance from point of knowledge and accessibility not cost. GS I think has more potential for the Kazeems to have a field day. I could be wrong though. C is good starter car for upper middle class I think.

Meh. At this point, it's a case of splitting hairs, I'd say. Depends on OP's own preference, which is quite obviously the C Class. Nothing wrong with that.

Goldrush123:
It seems the consensus here is going for the c class since respective Lexus gs is almost the same price in maintenance.

At least get the C350.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Goldrush123: 9:04pm On Aug 22, 2018
HeavenlyBang:

Meh. At this point, it's a case of splitting hairs, I'd say. Depends on OP's own preference, which is quite obviously the C Class. Nothing wrong with that.

At least get the C350.
Thanks, ain't they the same engine?

(1) (2) (3) ... (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) ... (547) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.