Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,270 members, 7,836,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (344) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (976125 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (547) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:20am On May 04, 2020
2felix:

Pls wanted to go for w202 c class c180 cause of the fuel economy , ruggedness, cheap parts n maintenance. I am coming from Honda bullet ( accord). But my wife feels I should go for something more recent like the w203 n above as the w202 look old skool. My budget of 1M can get me d w202 toks but if I go for recent models I will have to go for Nigeria used at that price which is a gamble. Pls I advice me n any other recommendations at my budget is welcomed

Up your budget. If you can raise it to 1.3m or so, you'll get a lot more options.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 11:31am On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

AmuDimkpa the Senior Mercedes Benz Engineer.

Did you see the links from Mobil website ...an authoritative one

As car ages the need to change to a slightly thicker oil becomes imperative
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:39am On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Did you see the links from Mobil website ...an authoritative one

As car ages the need to change to a slightly thicker oil becomes imperative

That's...just someone's experience. Not Mobil recommending 0W-40. Completely anecdotal. You can't use a random person's opinion to justify your own opinion. Show me Mercedes' recommendation.

"We think Mobil 1™ FS 0W-40 is an excellent choice. It provides the viscometrics of an SAE 40 oil at operating temperature. In Florida’s high ambient temperatures, a high viscosity oil can help reduce oil burn-off. You probably do not take advantage of the 0W cold start performance living in Florida, but since you are happy with the overall performance, we would say you should keep on doing what you are doing."

You can hardly expect the Mobile customer service to say," Nah, don't buy our 0W-40, it's crap". One person says it works for him, so of course they'll tell him to do whatever suits him.

Btw, I'm not claiming W-40 oils are bad. It depends on the car. There are engines that burn oil, and using a slightly thicker oil may be the smart thing to do. The difference between the two of us is that I'm not claiming to be an authority or saying it's always the right thing.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 12:10pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

That's...just someone's experience. Not Mobil recommending 0W-40. Completely anecdotal. You can't use a random person's opinion to justify your own opinion. Show me Mercedes' recommendation.

"We think Mobil 1™ FS 0W-40 is an excellent choice. It provides the viscometrics of an SAE 40 oil at operating temperature. In Florida’s high ambient temperatures, a high viscosity oil can help reduce oil burn-off. You probably do not take advantage of the 0W cold start performance living in Florida, but since you are happy with the overall performance, we would say you should keep on doing what you are doing."

You can hardly expect the Mobile customer service to say," Nah, don't buy our 0W-40, it's crap". One person says it works for him, so of course they'll tell him to do whatever suits him.

Btw, I'm not claiming W-40 oils are bad. It depends on the car. There are engines that burn oil, and using a slightly thicker oil may be the smart thing to do. The difference between the two of us is that I'm not claiming to be an authority or saying it's always the right thing.

Lord bless you bro

Now you are reading from the same page with me... Engine type, age of engine and environment and climatic condition mater's while choosing oil

So why do folks parrot Mobil 1 up and down is what I don't understand!

Can you explain to me ?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by dannybrasky(m): 12:24pm On May 04, 2020
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by oluwaseunla(m): 12:38pm On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Lord bless you bro

Now you are reading from the same page with me... Engine type, age of engine and environment and climatic condition mater's while choosing oil

Can you explain to me ?

I don't think it's about Mobil-1. I think emphasis is on using manufacturer's recommended oil weights. Truth is I support that too. I have vehicles of over 20 years in Nigeria still running on 5W-30 without issues.

But then again, many mercs have a mobil-1 sticker on their hoods, and that could also have played a part.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by 2felix(m): 1:00pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Up your budget. If you can raise it to 1.3m or so, you'll get a lot more options.

Can u give me those options ? Even at 1.3M
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:01pm On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Lord bless you bro

Can you explain to me ?
. I don't care about Mobil 1. There are other great brands out there; I personally just use Mobil 1 because it's accessible and I'm not in the mood to start testing different oils.

Like Seun said, it's more about using the recommended oil weight. Switch if your vehicle calls for it, not because you've used the car for 5 years or whatever arbitrary period.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 1:10pm On May 04, 2020
dannybrasky:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_w4aEqgjY1/?igshid=157argboxrkg2

I'm out grin
grin grin

Who else saw that black truck come through?

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by dannybrasky(m): 1:19pm On May 04, 2020
Eddee:

grin grin

Who else saw that black truck come through?
Lol it would have been disastrous,it made the Corolla driver rethink ( Nothinh beats being alive) grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 1:25pm On May 04, 2020
dannybrasky:

Lol it would have been disastrous,it made the Corolla driver rethink ( Nothinh beats being alive) grin

Mehn, exhaust note sef humble my guy!

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:30pm On May 04, 2020
dannybrasky:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_w4aEqgjY1/?igshid=157argboxrkg2

I'm out grin

I personally found that video obnoxious as hell. There's always a bigger fish. Wouldn't be surprising to find out that it's something like a 30i in the video, and they're acting like it's one super fast car because na Corolla dey chase them. Definitely not an M car, and not fast enough to be a 35i.

Cars dey wey dey humble Lambo for Autobahn sef.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by dannybrasky(m): 1:39pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I personally found that video obnoxious as hell. There's always a bigger fish. Wouldn't be surprising to find out that it's something like a 30i in the video, and they're acting like it's one super fast car because na Corolla dey chase them. Definitely not an M car, and not fast enough to be a 35i.

No doubt baba! It's just funny the way the German zoomed off,then the commentators at the rear made matters worse grin

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:42pm On May 04, 2020
dannybrasky:

No doubt baba! It's just funny the way the German zoomed off,then the commentators at the rear made matters worse grin

Lmao, yeah. grin

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 2:37pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

No mind those lazy drivers, they blocked the Corolla and positioned themselves for proper acceleration. Anyways I'm not talking about their petty race, I'm referring to that truck that went past the both of them like nothing in the oncoming lane.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by rexlims(m): 6:47pm On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:
Cars upto 15yrs must have experienced wears and tears and also depending on the weather....as for Nigeria the viscosity of oil matter...a little bit thicker oil for 15year old car is perfect

I repeat Mobil 1 is for cars less than 5 yrs ..it's for newer engines that depreciation is low

Everyone shouting Mobil 1 up and down...

I have driven a C class ( Elegance) for over 7 yrs ...never used a mobile one , the engine is still great the second owner is still driving the same engine ..now doing 10 yrs

When buying oil, consider two factors
1. Engine Age
2. Climatic condition

Maybe 3
Driving styles !
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/auto-care/all-about-oil/ask-our-auto-experts/is-thicker-oil-a-benefit-as-engines-age
pls what brand of oil do u use? Thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 7:22pm On May 04, 2020
rexlims:
pls what brand of oil do u use? Thanks
I use Mobil but not Mobil 1
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 7:23pm On May 04, 2020
Eddee:

No mind those lazy drivers, they blocked the Corolla and positioned themselves for proper acceleration. Anyways I'm not talking about their petty race, I'm referring to that truck that went past the both of them like nothing in the oncoming lane.

But wait a minute...do you even think that corrola would have passed BMW

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 7:25pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

LoL....that BMW is a 6 cylinder ride and designed for race

If that Corolla tried it ehhhjh
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 7:26pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

. I don't care about Mobil 1. There are other great brands out there; I personally just use Mobil 1 because it's accessible and I'm not in the mood to start testing different oils.

Like Seun said, it's more about using the recommended oil weight. Switch if your vehicle calls for it, not because you've used the car for 5 years or whatever arbitrary period.

Mobil 1 is good but it would burn out easily considering the viscosity and the weather.... And yes engine Age

Is lighter
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:29pm On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:

LoL....that BMW is a 6 cylinder ride and designed for race

If that Corolla tried it ehhhjh

Not sure what your point is. It'd easily lose to an assortment of cars on the street. IS350, G35, G37, GS350, Acura TL SH-AWD.

Hardly a race car. Eddee go give am better space with him Charger.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 7:29pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I am taking based on physics bro

https://m.startribune.com/brand-heavier-oil-can-help-high-mileage-engines/208709221/

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:30pm On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Mobil 1 is good but it would burn out easily considering the viscosity and the weather.... And yes engine Age

Is lighter

Says you. You make a lot of statements with zero scientific evidence.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:32pm On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:

I am taking based on physics bro

https://m.startribune.com/brand-heavier-oil-can-help-high-mileage-engines/208709221/

I literally just said that. And you don't need to lecture me on physics; I'm an engineer.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 7:33pm On May 04, 2020

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 7:34pm On May 04, 2020

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 7:40pm On May 04, 2020
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Praxtech: 7:42pm On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:
This race is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMNXRvxeRfk

What's with the comparisons
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:45pm On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:
This race is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMNXRvxeRfk

Hardly a fair race. It's not even the top-spec GTR. Like everyone points out in the comments, why race AMG's best car against the regular GTR, when there's a Nismo that's even faster?

GTR is considerably cheaper, and is ten years old. Hardly a win for Mercedes. V6 vs V8.

I'd take the AMG, though.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 7:54pm On May 04, 2020
After watching this video, I have come to add my appreciation for Benz....when the safety features in this s classe there ..one can drive with 100% confidence

This is amazing trust me.... Benz dey try shaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IQu4elefBQ

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 8:11pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Hardly a fair race. It's not even the top-spec GTR. Like everyone points out in the comments, why race AMG's best car against the regular GTR, when there's a Nismo that's even faster?

GTR is considerably cheaper, and is ten years old. Hardly a win for Mercedes. V6 vs V8.

I'd take the AMG, though.

Nice observation though
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 8:13pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I literally just said that. And you don't need to lecture me on physics; I'm an engineer.

Oh I see...I am taking based on folks that don't understand these basic laws of physics....

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (547) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.