Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,152 members, 7,835,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (345) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (975953 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) ... (547) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 8:16pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Says you. You make a lot of statements with zero scientific evidence.

With all the links ....i don't know the other evidences... I make my statement based on references...I would give references to support my position so which other evidence do you need

Bro, you are an engineer you ought to know these basic principles sir....I trust your judgement on these things ....but I also consult widely
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:19pm On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:

With all the links ....i don't know the other evidences... I make my statement based on references...I would give references to support my position so which other evidence do you need

Bro, you are an engineer you ought to know these basic principles sir....I trust your judgement on these things ....but I also consult widely

My point is, it's on a case by case basis. Use the oil that you've confirmed to be the best for your car at the moment; there's no rule that says you should switch to a thicker oil at a particular mileage or age.

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 8:21pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

My point is, it's on a case by case basis. Use the oil that you've confirmed to be the best for your car at the moment; there's no rule that says you should switch to a thicker oil at a particular mileage or age.

I know but as an engineer what is the real rule for cars that are 15yrs older as it pertains to oil change and viscosity?

Considering science behind engine and oil making (viscosity)

What is your take ?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 8:21pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Not sure what your point is. It'd easily lose to an assortment of cars on the street. IS350, G35, G37, GS350, Acura TL SH-AWD.

Hardly a race car. Eddee go give am better space with him Charger.

I no dey waste fuel unnecessarily my brother, it won't be a proper race same like my colleague's w203 c320. The gap wasn't fair and not for his lack of effort. Could hear the M112 cry and whine but my RPM never got past the 4th mark, in fact no kickdowns from Ugep to Calabar today.

I, for one will never go up against an Infiniti v6 from 2007 or a proper BMW or Lexus v6, talkless of their 8 cylinder counterparts.

Once owned an M35 with quad exhausts briefly and I know what those modafukas can do on a freeway. Sold it the moment i couldn't get a proper mechanic to fix a burnt top and the g*dforsaken CPS issues.I no come this world to learn how to fix motor.

I know who I can oppress and I stay in my lane, once had a G37 try to bait me for a race in a W221 S550 - looked at my fuel guage and refused to fall for that nonsense, I just give am space, na Port Harcourt, all of us go reach der las las!

P.S will sell the charger December/January

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:29pm On May 04, 2020
Eddee:

I no dey waste fuel unnecessarily my brother, it won't be a proper race same like my colleague's w203 c320. The gap wasn't fair and not for his lack of effort. Could hear the M112 cry and whine but my RPM never got past the 4th mark, in fact no kickdowns from Ugep to Calabar today.

I, for one will never go up against an Infiniti v6 from 2007 or a proper BMW or Lexus v6, talkless of their 8 cylinder counterparts.

Once owned an M35 with quad exhausts briefly and I know what those modafukas can do on a freeway. Sold it the moment i couldn't get a proper mechanic to fix a burnt top and the g*dforsaken CPS issues.I no come this world to learn how to fix motor.

I know who I can oppress and I stay in my lane, once had a G37 try to bait me for a race in a W221 S550 - looked at my fuel guage and refused to fall for that nonsense, I just give am space, na Port Harcourt, all of us go reach der las las!

P.S will sell the charger December/January

Lmao, I feel you. At that point, na just oppression. grin

Shame about the M. I'm not fan of the exterior styling but the rest of the car is pretty solid. Aren't CPSs really cheap? Na 5k fix na. Burnt top is probably a tad more difficult.

That's sad to hear. Are you willing to eat the depreciation? I can't imagine that a 5.7L V8 will be popular on the used market.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:30pm On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:

I know but as an engineer what is the real rule for cars that are 15yrs older as it pertains to oil change and viscosity?

Considering science behind engine and oil making (viscosity)

What is your take ?

That's the thing, my man. There is no rule. It completely depends on your car itself. Even among cars with a history of burning oil, some people don't have such issues.

Do what is best for your car. There's no hard rule. I have 160k miles on my car, and I only use synthetic 5W-30. It serves me well.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by 9icetoo(m): 8:36pm On May 04, 2020
Eddee:

No mind those lazy drivers, they blocked the Corolla and positioned themselves for proper acceleration. Anyways I'm not talking about their petty race, I'm referring to that truck that went past the both of them like nothing in the oncoming lane.
I saw that too. That was childish. And they were oblivious to what could have happened to them or the corolla guy. Smh
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 8:55pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Lmao, I feel you. At that point, na just oppression. grin

Shame about the M. I'm not fan of the exterior styling but the rest of the car is pretty solid. Aren't CPSs really cheap? Na 5k fix na. Burnt top is probably a tad more difficult.

That's sad to hear. Are you willing to eat the depreciation? I can't imagine that a 5.7L V8 will be popular on the used market .

Got a buyer already. Will take a 30-35% initial purchase price hit (this can be factored as depreciation anyway). Hopefully he does not chicken out when the time is right. He'll be coming from an 08 Grand Cherokee with the 3.7L V6 - What could possibly go wrong?
Honestly bro, I am tired - you can't blend in, it's always odd when packed along other cars. And I just think I wanted it, not that I really had need for all that deafening exhaust note. Will keep you posted and maybe I'll try a Cadillac CTS next. Only disadvantage is American cars interiors are so bland and uninspiring. I mean just look at the image below, only thing remotely nice is the Sirius touchscreen radio with handsfree connectivity and HDD

9icetoo:

I saw that too. That was childish. And they were oblivious to what could have happened to them or the corolla guy. Smh

No mind them, they should have let the Corolla gain on them, then flex their muscle. I guess they were scared that a puny Corolla running at 160-170km on a freeway will likely roar @6000 RPMs and still use less fuel and the true position is they may end up playing catch-up.

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jonnyp(m): 9:00pm On May 04, 2020
Pls guys btw c300 Mercedes and Honda Accord 2008 -2010 which consumes more fuel
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:03pm On May 04, 2020
Eddee:

Got a buyer already. Will take a 30-35% initial purchase price hit (this can be factored as depreciation anyway). Hopefully he does not chicken out when the time is right. He'll be coming from an 08 Grand Cherokee with the 3.7L V6 - What could possibly go wrong?
Honestly bro, I am tired - you can't blend in, it's always odd when packed along other cars. And I just think I wanted it, not that I really had need for all that deafening exhaust note. Will keep you posted and maybe I'll try a Cadillac CTS next.

Lmao. That's hilarious, I've always heard stories of car owners hating how much their cars stand out, and I can absolutely see why that's the case. A Challenger of the same generation as your Charger drove past me closely a while ago. Jesus, such a beast. Massive as Bleep. I can see why you'd be tired of the attention, especially with that exhaust.

I love my exhaust and even though it's nowhere near as awe-inspiring as yours, driving it in the early morning has showed me just how obnoxious it is.

Good choice on the Caddy. I finally decided on a 2013 ATS after comparing and contrasting with the other options. Na just to hustle the money remain. Get a 3.6L CTS, it's essentially the engine I'll be getting and doesn't seem to have any funny issues. More importantly for me, it doesn't require premium.

I'll be sad to see the G go, though, and I'll always have a soft spot for Infiniti.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 9:07pm On May 04, 2020
jonnyp:
Pls guys btw c300 Mercedes and Honda Accord 2008 -2010 which consumes more fuel

Dude you should be asking the engine capacity and the body weight of a car...these are the critical factors in gas consumption ....also driving style

If you want to drive a Merc drive a Merc!

That is my advise ...

You can't be hoping to buy a horse and be expecting it to be drinking water like a sheep ....

It doesn't work that way bro
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 9:12pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Lmao. That's hilarious, I've always heard stories of car owners hating how much their cars stand out, and I can absolutely see why that's the case. A Challenger of the same generation as your Charger drove past me closely a while ago. Jesus, such a beast. Massive as Bleep. I can see why you'd be tired of the attention, especially with that exhaust.

I love my exhaust and even though it's nowhere near as awe-inspiring as yours, driving it in the early morning has showed me just how obnoxious it is.

Good choice on the Caddy. I finally decided on a 2013 ATS after comparing and contrasting with the other options. Na just to hustle the money remain . Get a 3.6L CTS, it's essentially the engine I'll be getting and doesn't seem to have any funny issues. More importantly for me, it doesn't require premium.

I'll be sad to see the G go, though, and I'll always have a soft spot for Infiniti.

NEVER heard of the ATS before. Time to run to Youtu.be and wiki. Hasta la Vista

Our man for Canada go run am always, na to gather the bread first.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 9:14pm On May 04, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Dude you should be asking the engine capacity and the body weight of a car...these are the critical factors in gas consumption ....also driving style

That is my advise ...

You can't be hoping to buy a horse and be expecting it to be drinking water like a sheep ....

The truth is Mercs don't really burn gas, believe me high end Japs are right there with their German counterparts when it comes to the frequency of visiting fuel stations. I'm not adding American cars because those literally live at Fuel stations and Mechanic workshops

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:15pm On May 04, 2020
Eddee:

NEVER heard of the ATS before. Time to run to Youtu.be and wiki. Hasta la Vista

Our man for Canada go run am always, na to gather the bread first.

Essentially a cheaper BMW F30 and W205 alternative. Same platform as the current Camaro.

Canada man dey Bleep up jare. I'll probably just use my plug, deal went pretty well last time.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by 2felix(m): 9:18pm On May 04, 2020
Pls wanted to go for w202 c class c180 cause of the fuel economy , ruggedness, cheap parts n maintenance. I am coming from Honda bullet ( accord). But my wife feels I should go for something more recent like the w203 n above as the w202 look old skool. My budget of 1M can get me d w202 toks but if I go for recent models I will have to go for Nigeria used at that price which is a gamble. Pls I advice me n any other recommendations at my budget is welcomed
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Philadelphia: 9:18pm On May 04, 2020
2felix:

Pls wanted to go for w202 c class c180 cause of the fuel economy , ruggedness, cheap parts n maintenance. I am coming from Honda bullet ( accord). But my wife feels I should go for something more recent like the w203 n above as the w202 look old skool. My budget of 1M can get me d w202 toks but if I go for recent models I will have to go for Nigeria used at that price which is a gamble. Pls I advice me n any other recommendations at my budget is welcomed

If you can up your budget to 1.3m, I can sell you a toks w203 C180 for the amount.

Let me know if you are interested cos I got one currently for sale.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:21pm On May 04, 2020
Philadelphia:

If you can up your budget to 1.3m, I can sell you a toks w203 C180 for the amount.

Good option.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jonnyp(m): 9:21pm On May 04, 2020
T
AmuDimpka:

That is my advise ...

Thanks Boss..u can still tell me more about the 2 cars sir..
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 9:22pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Essentially a cheaper BMW F30 and W205 alternative. Same platform as the current Camaro.

Is it the LFX or the LGX engine? Sh*t looks scary and the interior is pretty decent for an American car.

This baby aint cheap, 5-7k USD purchase price alone. Trucking, Shipping and clearing (partial duty grin grin) will easily drive total costs to 11k-12k USD
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by 2felix(m): 9:36pm On May 04, 2020
Philadelphia:

Year n pics
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:38pm On May 04, 2020
Eddee:

Is it the LFX or the LGX engine? Sh*t looks scary and the interior is pretty decent for an American car.

This baby aint cheap, 5-7k USD purchase price alone. Trucking, Shipping and clearing (partial duty grin grin) will easily drive total costs to 11k-12k USD

Yeah, it's the LFX making 321 HP. The interior is definitely decent. Not anywhere near as good as a W205, but at least on par with an Acura or Infiniti. Good enough for me.

And yeah, it's pricey. But still cheaper than the Germans.

Eddee:

Glad to hear this. 30% isn't bad at all, tbh.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by 2felix(m): 9:41pm On May 04, 2020
Philadelphia:

Year n pics
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eddee(m): 9:53pm On May 04, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Yeah, it's the LFX making 321 HP . The interior is definitely decent. Not anywhere near as good as a W205, but at least on par with an Acura or Infiniti. Good enough for me.

And yeah, it's pricey. But still cheaper than the Germans.

Glad to hear this. 30% isn't bad at all, tbh.

That's some decent power to just about keep up with pretty much anything on the road. When I grow old, I'll get a German for keeps until death does us part. Until then, value for money first and foremost!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:56pm On May 04, 2020
Eddee:

That's some decent power to just about keep up with pretty much anything on the road. When I grow old, I'll get a German for keeps until death does us part. Until then, value for money first and foremost!

Me too! I'm mostly just keeping the boys here in check, haha. Most of my dream cars are German.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 10:24pm On May 04, 2020
Eddee:

The truth is Mercs don't really burn gas, believe me high end Japs are right there with their German counterparts when it comes to the frequency of visiting fuel stations. I'm not adding American cars because those literally live at Fuel stations and Mechanic workshops

CClass doesn't burn gas unless the one that the catalyst has been eaten

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 10:30pm On May 04, 2020
2felix:

I drove that car for 3 years...it's a very rugged car and it doesn't consume fuel... especially the 180...it comes with 1.8L engine and it's 4 plugs

A good car...the parts are not all that Pricey, the full engine isn't even upto 110k, the shocks aren't expensive and the parts are easiest to get amongst all Benz ...you don't even need to go to Ladipo if you Stay in Lagos

It's a good car... But look out for Air Flow meter ....

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Praxtech: 10:31pm On May 04, 2020
Eddee:

undecided no admission.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Philadelphia: 11:55pm On May 04, 2020
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Philadelphia: 11:56pm On May 04, 2020
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AmuDimpka: 6:56am On May 05, 2020
Eddee:

I know Merc don't burn gas, my ML doesn't consume gas much.... But when they try to use a heavier engine like C class to compare with light body and weight car like Honda...then I begain to wonder why?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Praxtech: 7:36am On May 05, 2020
AmuDimpka:

I know Merc don't burn gas, my ML doesn't consume gas much.... But when they try to use a heavier engine like C class to compare with light body and weight car like Honda...then I begain to wonder why?

Honda accord is not light weight. Even though I am a Benz fan.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by banky3w(m): 9:09am On May 05, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

That's the thing, my man. There is no rule. It completely depends on your car itself. Even among cars with a history of burning oil, some people don't have such issues.

Do what is best for your car. There's no hard rule. I have 160k miles on my car, and I only use synthetic 5W-30. It serves me well.
Well said. My 2GR-FE at 226k miles still takes 5W-30 and purrs like a kitten. Not a single shortage between change intervals too. I have friends with cars less than 120k miles doing heavier oils.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) ... (547) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.