Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,584 members, 7,958,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 02:23 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (1020111 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (551) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 11:54am On Jan 02, 2014
pls house can any1 help me on how to get this items with serial- F7KTCR germany-005 R1. tnx alot.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by inze(m): 12:01pm On Jan 02, 2014
Gee2728: pls house can any1 help me on how to get this items with serial- F7KTCR germany-005 R1. tnx alot.

really don't know if its same as this i got for my 1996 c180 here is Lagos. Costs 1500.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 12:42pm On Jan 02, 2014
inze:

really don't know if its same as this i got for my 1996 c180 here is Lagos. Costs 1500.

yours is one head, mine is 3 head and dnt knw if ur serial number matches with mine.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by yungboss(m): 1:34pm On Jan 02, 2014
I use 6 sets of the NGK each, in my BMWs,four ground electrodes/pins, N12,000 here in Port Harcourt....
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Austyn44(m): 5:01pm On Jan 02, 2014
Pls I need ur advice on this: initially I wanted to buy a C180 99 model but my dealer friend brought a very clean C230 98/99 for 1.2m. Pls how is 230 compared to 180 in terms of economy n maintenance.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 9:09pm On Jan 02, 2014
Austyn44: Pls I need ur advice on this: initially I wanted to buy a C180 99 model but my dealer friend brought a very clean C230 98/99 for 1.2m. Pls how is 230 compared to 180 in terms of economy n maintenance.

tell him thank you, then try and negotiate 1mil.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Guddy(m): 10:01pm On Jan 02, 2014
Gee2728:

tell him thank you, then try and negotiate 1mil.

I smile when I read this your post @Gee. I can see you have a thing for this C230k. I'm trying not to change my mind cos I'm planning to get the C180 later this year but I like powerful cars.

A nice ride you've got there @Gee
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by tommysparks: 1:09pm On Jan 03, 2014
my c240 w203 has proved reliable once more, after traveling from Jigawa state to calabar for the holidays am back to jigawa safe and sound doing almost 3000km including my in town enjoyment, i almost used my Benz to join d Calabar carnival sef, lol. As i was commanding my respect along makurdi- ogoja highway one C63 AMG just made me hide my tail in my ass like a dog, the car just passed me as if i was riding a bicycle, looking forward to upgrade to an AMG tuned benz by God's grace. I will be doing a full leg inspection this weekend to check the bow joints and thyroids including suspensions cos of some creaking sounds observed on return mostly due to bad roads around cross river axis. I thank you all Benz forumites for your support cos my car would not have been in a good condition to make the trip if it was not for you guys. @Au.hanson i have received my obd11 scanner which you recommended so i can clear my error codes now and pick out electrical issues without parting with 5K all the time. God bless the man man that invented d Mercedes Benz, God bless all of you on this forum abundantly

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 2:25pm On Jan 03, 2014
Guddy:

I smile when I read this your post @Gee. I can see you have a thing for this C230k. I'm trying not to change my mind cos I'm planning to get the C180 later this year but I like powerful cars.

A nice ride you've got there @Gee

Nice one bro.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by segedoo(m): 3:26pm On Jan 04, 2014
[quote
author=ziccoit]

17k may not even be enough depending on what the mechanic thought when
he quoted the price. This is what I mean:

1. Quartz 9000 comes in 5L container while mobile 1 is in 4L bottle and
cost 8000 and 8400 respectively. The car needs 6L of any of these.

2. Oil filter, the good one, costs 1500

3. Four oem Bosch spark plug cost 3200

4. If your brake pads are gone, prepare for replacement of almost 4000

Now, oil+ filter is almost 20k. Your price rises if you are changing
spark plugs and brake pad.

The good thing is that you are not going to be changing engine oil every
2-3mth if you use Total quartz or mobile 1. I know it is every 15k
miles or once per year which comes first for mobile 1. The next oil
change is going to be cheaper too because you only going to buy a gallon
of the oil. Your spark plugs has 2yrs guarantee and can live for as
many years as possible.[/quote]

Gee2728 @Smartchoice @Ziccoit

HNY to you all, Thanks a lot. I'm grateful.

The guy - Jide@Ajiwe, after Ajah- mentioned oil filter, brake pads & oil change.

@Smartchoice
If I got you right, can the service bbe done@a total station or you were referring to where to buy the Oil?

Can I get Kuntash's email pls?

He's be unavailable for a while. I know he was sending the MB1997-2000 manual sometime ago.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by cowtail: 9:16pm On Jan 04, 2014
tommysparks: my c240 w203 has proved reliable once more, after traveling from Jigawa state to calabar for the holidays am back to jigawa safe and sound doing almost 3000km including my in town enjoyment, i almost used my Benz to join d Calabar carnival sef, lol. As i was commanding my respect along makurdi- ogoja highway one C63 AMG just made me hide my tail in my ass like a dog, the car just passed me as if i was riding a bicycle, looking forward to upgrade to an AMG tuned benz by God's grace. I will be doing a full leg inspection this weekend to check the bow joints and thyroids including suspensions cos of some creaking sounds observed on return mostly due to bad roads around cross river axis. I thank you all Benz forumites for your support cos my car would not have been in a good condition to make the trip if it was not for you guys. @Au.hanson i have received my obd11 scanner which you recommended so i can clear my error codes now and pick out electrical issues without parting with 5K all the time. God bless the man man that invented d Mercedes Benz, God bless all of you on this forum abundantly
i urgently need help with mt c230 kompressor 2000 model. Travelled home with it for the xmas but regreted doing so. The gear goes not change smoothly. Most often it drags causing the car to vibrate violently. This vibration only stops when i turn off the ignition and then restart the car. As soon as the vibration starts, the temperature guage shoots up sharply causing smoke to come out of the bonnet. Please, what are the possible causes of this?.i need to know so as not to fall mugu to mechanics..
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Wurans: 10:06pm On Jan 04, 2014
Thanks for your contribution. I think i will settle for C180 considering fuel economy.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 11:04pm On Jan 04, 2014
Wurans: Thanks for your contribution. I think i will settle for C180 considering fuel economy.

enjoy ur ride, but if decide to hang urself due to regret 2moro at least i warned u .............. grin just joking man pls enjoy ur ride.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 3:45am On Jan 05, 2014
cowtail: i urgently need help with mt c230 kompressor 2000 model. Travelled home with it for the xmas but regreted doing so. The gear goes not change smoothly. Most often it drags causing the car to vibrate violently. This vibration only stops when i turn off the ignition and then restart the car. As soon as the vibration starts, the temperature guage shoots up sharply causing smoke to come out of the bonnet. Please, what are the possible causes of this?.i need to know so as not to fall mugu to mechanics..

Do you have check engine light on?
When last did you service your transmission and which ATF did you use?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:31am On Jan 05, 2014
Hello Mercedes Benz gurus,

Happy new year to you guys. I want the house to suggest between a 2008 or 2009 Mercedes ML350 and 2008 or 2009 Mercedes C300/C350 which is better in terms of maintenance because i don't have any experience about Mercedes benz vehicles and i intend pre-ordering one any moment from now. I don't want a vehicle that will suck me dry or that will have any difficulty in getting parts even though i intend pre-ordering one with mileage less than 70,000 with a clear title. detail advice needed please. Smartchoice,Au.hanson,Trac,Kuntash,Sienna,etc your advice needed please.

Thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 1:10pm On Jan 05, 2014
@Au.hanson, I discussed some issues with my car on C180 thread. Here is the update;

Majority of our auto-technician are actually auto-destroyer. You have got to be very sharp, up and doing, and ready to do your thorough research about your car's issues before you finally use your own hand to take your cow(benz) to the slaughter's (auto-technician) slab (workshop).

I have had two major issues with my car right from the day I got it:

1. The instrument clauster gauges (fuel, coolant temp, speedometer, tachometer) were not working. All the low fluid lights (low coolant, brake, engine etc) were all lit up the moment you turned the car on.

2. The radiator fan came and stayed on at high speed the moment you turned on the car. The man that worked on the car ccu actually installed a flasher in my absence whom I called and asked to revert the car back to the factory setup by removing his "Flasher". That, he didn't do which I only found out this morning.

I solved the first issue by myself after the electrician I called advised me to stop worrying myself that the issue will disappear on itself! angry sad

This morning, after cleaning up the car, I curiously removed the CCU (Climate Control Unit) and the car stereo to be able to see the back of the unit. Lo and behold, behind the CCU was the flasher dangling before me. I patiently traced the wires the man had already cut, rejoined each of them and secured back to position ( I however had to remove the battery negative terminal before I started fumbling with nak.ed wires). I put back the stereo and the CCU. I recoded the CCU to my car model and year blindly (the CCU light and Pixel are gone so no display). I turned on the car. For the first time since I got the car, the radiator fan stayed off! I put on the AC which hitherto has stopped working ( worked for a week after I got the car) and the cold breeze greeted me in a minute. I took the car for a 30mins drive with AC on and all was well. Throughout my temp gauge just stayed a little above 80 deg Celsius. cool
Meanwhile, I have already ordered CCU via ebay (15K!) thinking the one in my car was totally useless. I did that on Friday embarassed embarassed

Lesson: As stated above, don't allow these clowns (courtesy of Ikenna) to touch your car except they are not going out of factory specs.

I will post the pix of the flasher when I get to my pc.

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by cowtail: 1:42pm On Jan 05, 2014
ziccoit:

Do you have check engine light on?
When last did you service your transmission and which ATF did you use?
the check engine light is on. Transmission was serviced last in july 2013 using oando transmission fluid.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 1:54pm On Jan 05, 2014
cowtail: the check engine light is on. Transmission was serviced last in july 2013 using oando transmission fluid.

Which came up first? Transmission misbehaving threw up the check engine light or vice versa? You have got to scan the car to be able to pinpoint the culprit. Your car is OBDII compliant which makes the thing easier. Oando atf? Is that not dextron III variant?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jazzlite: 6:01pm On Jan 05, 2014
Hello Ziccoit, Hanson, Gee and all MB enthusiasts Advice needed on w210 e320 I6 Nigerian used purchase....I have the offer of 250k subject to sound transmission and ecu but the car is not starting its reported to have a blown head gasket issue...which had been fixed but still not starting...

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 05, 2014
interior seems exceptionally clean
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 7:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
Jazz lite: Hello Ziccoit, Hanson, Gee and all MB enthusiasts Advice needed on w210 e320 I6 Nigerian used purchase....I have the offer of 250k subject to sound transmission and ecu but the car is not starting its reported to have a blown head gasket issue...which had been fixed but still not starting...

Get a competent benz mech to look up the car and possible cause of its inability to start. He may even give you the estimate of financial implication of fixing the car. The car, however, seems neat. Try to put the price down to 200k. Car not starting could be a simple as well as very expensive fix.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jazzlite: 8:19pm On Jan 05, 2014
Thanks....so I think too

smartchoice: interior seems exceptionally clean

ziccoit:
Get a competent benz mech to look up the car and possible cause of its inability to start. He may even give you the estimate of financial implication of fixing the car. The car, however, seems neat. Try to put the price down to 200k. Car not starting could be a simple as well as very expensive fix.
Exactly my offer but the seller insists ....so am hinging full payment on transmission state and ecu functionality
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jazzlite: 8:20pm On Jan 05, 2014
more contributions are still wlecome
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Gee2728(m): 8:38pm On Jan 05, 2014
Jazz lite: more contributions are still wlecome

open the hood lets see what the engine is like. a lot of this old e-class i have seen do have suspension problem so be on the look out for that.
only buy this car if u have an extra budget for fixing it, and whats up with the back seat the bench seems ripped off the back rest.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by cowtail: 10:47pm On Jan 05, 2014
ziccoit:

Which came up first? Transmission misbehaving threw up the check engine light or vice versa? You have got to scan the car to be able to pinpoint the culprit. Your car is OBDII compliant which makes the thing easier. Oando atf? Is that not dextron III variant?
thanks for your effort to help out. I bought the car with the check engine light on. which is the best transmission oil to use?.the one i used was gotten from oando petrol station and the can carried oando logo. I did not bother to check the variant....
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jazzlite: 11:14pm On Jan 05, 2014
Not ripped off....battery stays under, its an I6 engine dont have that pix now....extra budget like how much do you think....

Gee2728:
open the hood lets see what the engine is like. a lot of this old e-class i have seen do have suspension problem so be on the look out for that.
only buy this car if u have an extra budget for fixing it, and whats up with the back seat the bench seems ripped off the back rest.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ziccoit: 2:36am On Jan 06, 2014
cowtail: thanks for your effort to help out. I bought the car with the check engine light on. which is the best transmission oil to use?.the one i used was gotten from oando petrol station and the can carried oando logo. I did not bother to check the variant....

Oh, you have been driving the car with the check engine light on since when you bought it. If you haven't bothered to look for the cause; now is the right time. Pls, go scan the car. Could be something as simple as bad MAF sensor. The best atf for MB are the ones recommended by the manufacturer. It still a matter of debate whether one can say 'to hell with recommended atf' and go out of the way. Especially in this part of the world where they are not readily available. I will advice you to look out for a good Benz mech that will scan the car and service your trans with recommended atf since you are now starting having issues with the box.

Below images are the MB spec sheets 236.10, 236.12 and 236.14 for atf. All facelift w202 (5sp) are factory filled with 236.10 but .12 and .14 are backward compatible with .10.

Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by thug: 8:43am On Jan 06, 2014
pls can u send me the MB manual.
thanks
my email is camnonso@gmail.com
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by tommysparks: 11:19am On Jan 06, 2014
cowtail: the check engine light is on. Transmission was serviced last in july 2013 using oando transmission fluid.

i experienced same issue sometime last year when i try to accelerate the car will shake violently and the speed never exceeded 70mph but if i turn it off then on the car will move well initially then start again to vibrate again, in my own case it was the coils that were bad 2coils actually i changed it and all is well now, bad o2 sensor can also give you same issues but the best thing for you to do before touching anything is to have the car scanned, trust me it will save you a lot of cash wastage from trial and error auto demons(inexperienced techs.)
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by cowtail: 11:59am On Jan 06, 2014
ziccoit:

Oh, you have been driving the car with the check engine light on since when you bought it. If you haven't bothered to look for the cause; now is the right time. Pls, go scan the car. Could be something as simple as bad MAF sensor. The best atf for MB are the ones recommended by the manufacturer. It still a matter of debate whether one can say 'to hell with recommended atf' and go out of the way. Especially in this part of the world where they are not readily available. I will advice you to look out for a good Benz mech that will scan the car and service your trans with recommended atf since you are now starting having issues with the box.

Below images are the MB spec sheets 236.10, 236.12 and 236.14 for atf. All facelift w202 (5sp) are factory filled with 236.10 but .12 and .14 are backward compatible with .10.

Goodluck.
thanks a million. Will get it snanned very soon. Good job you are doing on this thread. God reward you abundantly.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by gaussy(m): 1:17pm On Jan 06, 2014
Good day Benzers, actually its my first post on this lovely thread. I own a 1984 W123 230CE (coupe regular or flat boot). Recently I have been thinking of a project on the car, and I really need the input of the forum.
I want to swap the original factory fitted engine to that of a W202 C180 or C230 (Compressor or not) still trying to decide which one might be easier to engineer and the efficiency as well.
I want to know the possibility of this swap, cost implication as regards the parts that may need replacement aside the engine. though I have a W201 gearbox fitted on it right now

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by GOnDIE1: 3:18pm On Jan 06, 2014
prudence.smart:

Hello guys, I want to really appreciate the effort of one of you who went and fix my my c180 MB on Sunday free of charge, despite his busy Schedule. I didn't know Nigeria still have people like this. Thankyou very much bro.

I am so honored to appreciate him openly in this forum and to state what he did for your information. How i wish he would come out to narrate the steps taken by him to solve such problem for me , because he has been so wonderful according to my mum:

He was able to diagnose the car down to the level of low resistance wires around and via the ignition coils. Infact,despite the fact that the car ECU could not link to his diagnostic tool, he absolutely tested the wires and rewire them back, the main culprit .The car had a multiple problem. He went a step further and replace the keys,as the key was also burnt.He replace the Bendix at the spot as well as even detected another unnoticeable fault with cylinder 2 valve. He actually did a compression test and found out that cylinder 2 was shutdown, according to him probably, because of the misfire, the ecu detected and shutdown that cylinder to avoid damage to it. the valves are really having issues hence will need a rework.

Now to crown it all the vehicle was restarted by him and my mum is using it again. She confesses that the car performances is better than before. Although he caution that the valve issue in the cylinder 2 should be tackle sometime soon by a good mechanic, that he could even do it for me if he is chance again by the upper week, but that he can only do that in his place, of which i am very comfortable with.

This guy is a human MB manual. He went on to explain that it is a big task to remove the cylinder head and replace or rework the valves, seats etc as appropriate by some engineering workshop. How i wish he will come up to speak for himself and detail his approach for our knowledge.

Thanks Hanson. the car will be brought to you only at your convenience for the remaining task. I dont want anybody to touch it. Thanks once again.

I love this testimony. Bro, i thank God on his behalf for you o! He must be an experienced guy in that ares. Pls can i have his (Hanson) contact for my C200. At least for directions if he will not be chanced to see it himself. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (551) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.