Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,611 members, 7,820,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (51) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (970874 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (547) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Fritz007(m): 2:01pm On Jul 15, 2014
Eyop:
What's your budget?

something between 400k - 750k, maintenance and fuel economy friendly
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 2:07pm On Jul 15, 2014
Fritz007:

400k Then it means you are looking at Nigerian used benz then. The model that should be advisable for you is W202 C class. I doubt if you can get a superb one for 750K direct Tokunbo except for Nigerian used one which to me is a 50:50 stuff except a reliable mechanic has certified it OK.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Baldmarv(m): 2:40pm On Jul 15, 2014
Fritz007:

i should think you can afford a C180-C200 1998 models for 700 direct tokumbo, but try and avoid the kompressor models, they might be quite cheap but na wahala if the turbo charger spoil!
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 15, 2014
Fritz007:

https://www.nairaland.com/1791587/toks-benz-c-class-sale
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Fritz007(m): 5:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
Eyop:
400k Then it means you are looking at Nigerian used benz then. The model that should be advisable for you is W202 C class. I doubt if you can get a superb one for 750K direct Tokunbo except for Nigerian used one which to me is a 50:50 stuff except a reliable mechanic has certified it OK.

Please sir at what price can I get a good toks then? Bcoz I need something reliable am not in a rush and what year and model of the W202 C class would u recommend.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Fritz007(m): 5:49pm On Jul 15, 2014
Baldmarv:
i should think you can afford a C180-C200 1998 models for 700 direct tokumbo, but try and avoid the kompressor models, they might be quite cheap but na wahala if the turbo charger spoil!

Are kompressor models cheaper
And if the super charger gets bad can't it be fixed Please don't mind my questions am a novice.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 6:03pm On Jul 15, 2014
Fritz007:

Please sir at what price can I get a good toks then? Bcoz I need something reliable am not in a rush and what year and model of the W202 C class would u recommend.

It all depends on your taste(fabric seat,leather seat,manual,automatic,neatness,etc). But a neat one should range from 900k to 1.2million. It also depends on what you want in a car whether combination of performance and economy(4cylinder) then the C230 Kompressor will do the magic for you but since you do not have any experience with benz(i don't see it as a problem)i will suggest a naturally aspirated engine not the supercharged one except you have a good mechanic to handle services for you. C180,C200 are good.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 6:03pm On Jul 15, 2014
Fritz007:

And if the super charger gets bad can't it be fixed Please don't mind my questions am a novice.
Kompressor models are not cheaper and if it gets faulty it can be repaired by a comptent technician. If you read through this thread at some point au-hanson talked about the kompressor related issues and so many contributors on this thread also making use of the Kompressor as well that's why i advice you to go with a trust worthy mechanic to certify the car for you before you buy.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 15, 2014
Fritz007:
cne010:

https://www.nairaland.com/1791587/toks-benz-c-class-sale

Run from that advert I shiver at the sight of that 104 engine.....
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 6:08pm On Jul 15, 2014
smartchoice:

Run from that advert I shiver at the sight of that 104 engine.....
The vehicle isn't even clean sef my Oga.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Fritz007(m): 6:19pm On Jul 15, 2014
Tanx boss..@ Eyop, @ smartchoice and baldmarv .....@ boss (Eyop) I guess I would just bring my head down and go for the C230 kompressor coz a good car is all about performance and economy....but which year is best; 98,99 or 2000 But its all about the Malachi I guess
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 6:54pm On Jul 15, 2014
Fritz007: Tanx boss..@ Eyop, @ smartchoice and baldmarv .....@ boss (Eyop) I guess I would just bring my head down and go for the C230 kompressor coz a good car is all about performance and economy....but which year is best; 98,99 or 2000 But its all about the Malachi I guess
Any of the listed years are OK but you should also note that sometimes you may find all what you want(Interior and Exterior features/neatness) in 1998 but not available in 2000. Goodluck
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Baldmarv(m): 10:47am On Jul 16, 2014
Fritz007:

People generally run from mercedes because of the supposed high fuel consumption, because of the usual 6cylinder engines they come with, but the Kompressor types(c180 and 200) come with a 2ltr engine that is supercharged by a turbocharger, the term Kompressor actually means supercharger, which means it uses less fuel and has good power too. My concern is that these cars are already 16years or more and the turbochargers are not serviced when they have issues, you have to replace them entirely and they are rather pricey...but i think even though am not sure that you can get a naturally aspirated 2ltr engine Mercedes...am looking at a car in that range too
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Fritz007(m): 2:53pm On Jul 16, 2014
Baldmarv:
People generally run from mercedes because of the supposed high fuel consumption, because of the usual 6cylinder engines they come with, but the Kompressor types(c180 and 200) come with a 2ltr engine that is supercharged by a turbocharger, the term Kompressor actually means supercharger, which means it uses less fuel and has good power too. My concern is that these cars are already 16years or more and the turbochargers are not serviced when they have issues, you have to replace them entirely and they are rather pricey...but i think even though am not sure that you can get a naturally aspirated 2ltr engine Mercedes...am looking at a car in that range too
Thanks bro
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 10:50am On Jul 17, 2014
Eyop:
The vehicle isn't even clean sef my Oga.

It will b when it visits. A car wash... The car is okay... Just the engine... No. No. No for my Bros who wants. Economy and is on low income.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by aikerism(m): 11:09am On Jul 17, 2014
Fritz007:
Thanks bro

Fritz007,
Pls go ahead and get yourself a C180 or a C200.
I have a C200 and have had her since december 2012 and I have had no regrets.
On economy its pocket friendly and its fuel consumption is okay. (I always cover between 255 - 290 km from full tank to half tank depending on traffic situation here in Abuja) the parts are quite affordable.
On perfomance.... my bro Mercedes na Mercedes... my car has a 4 cylinder 2.0ltr naturally aspirated engine and yet it is so fast i wonder what it will be like to drive a super charged one. ( one day i will enter Kaduna and challenge GEE to a race grin)

so in all, be interested in your future vehicle, and when it comes treat her well... she will treat you well too. all the best and congratulations in advance.

5 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Fritz007(m): 9:26pm On Jul 17, 2014
aikerism:

Fritz007,
Pls go ahead and get yourself a C180 or a C200.
I have a C200 and have had her since december 2012 and I have had no regrets.
On economy its pocket friendly and its fuel consumption is okay. (I always cover between 255 - 290 km from full tank to half tank depending on traffic situation here in Abuja) the parts are quite affordable.
On perfomance.... my bro Mercedes na Mercedes... my car has a 4 cylinder 2.0ltr naturally aspirated engine and yet it is so fast i wonder what it will be like to drive a super charged one. ( one day i will enter Kaduna and challenge GEE to a race grin)

so in all, be interested in your future vehicle, and when it comes treat her well... she will treat you well too. all the best and congratulations in advance.
grin grin grin cool cool grin thanks man
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by AUSTAAI(m): 3:37pm On Jul 18, 2014
Guys, I've really enjoyed and learned from the conversation here regarding which Mercedes to buy. I will look out for the C180 or C200 as mentioned.

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by auhanson(m): 2:20am On Jul 21, 2014
Its doable but over here you would have problem with rewiring the electricals(relays, fuses ignition and so on except done by an expert which you would hardly find here)and brainbox if you had to use w202 engine, but w201 or 230 vboot or higher engine will do, guys readily does it everyday here.

gaussy:
Still waiting for your input, where are the benz gurus Smartchoice, Siena, Kuntash, Trac, Au. hanson, Ziccoit etc.....
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by inze(m): 7:13am On Jul 21, 2014
auhanson: Its doable but over here you would have problem with rewiring the electricals(relays, fuses ignition and so on except done by an expert which you would hardly find here)and brainbox if you had to use w202 engine, but w201 or 230 vboot or higher engine will do, guys readily does it everyday here.

Welcome Back, Mr. Hanson

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 21, 2014
auhanson: Its doable but over here you would have problem with rewiring the electricals(relays, fuses ignition and so on except done by an expert which you would hardly find here)and brainbox if you had to use w202 engine, but w201 or 230 vboot or higher engine will do, guys readily does it everyday here.

Au Hanson this ain't fair...where have you been?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 7:43am On Jul 21, 2014
smartchoice:

Au Hanson this ain't fair...where have you been?
Na your wife abi na girl friend? No make au.hanson wife kie for you ooo cheesy grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 7:44am On Jul 21, 2014

Welcome back Boss. Is good to have you back on the thread but please no more sabbatical leave again oooh grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 21, 2014
Eyop:
Na your wife abi na girl friend? No make au.hanson wife kie for you ooo cheesy grin

My Oga am as straight as a pencil.... BTW I needed him to contribute to a project am undertaking which is still stalled at present due to transmission wahala
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by inze(m): 9:00am On Jul 21, 2014
smartchoice:

My Oga am as straight as a pencil.... BTW I needed him to contribute to a project am undertaking which is still stalled at present due to transmission wahala

Lol grin
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jahjehova(m): 11:38am On Jul 21, 2014
I don't know if I am fully back yet, but I'm praying to give everyone of us some good news soonest (as regards our car parts). In the mean time, I'm having a hell of ish with my W202. @smartchoice since U r close to Ado-Ekiti, can U help?

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 21, 2014
what is the problem boss?

jahjehova: I don't know if I am fully back yet, but I'm praying to give everyone of us some good news soonest (as regards our car parts). In the mean time, I'm having a hell of ish with my W202. @smartchoice since U r close to Ado-Ekiti, can U help?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jahjehova(m): 12:53pm On Jul 21, 2014
smartchoice: what is the problem boss?

Ist had ish wit ignition kick on a friday in ilesa. D key dat drove it to work wouldn't turn, had it fixed but didnt install it cos of tym. by monday ish wit brake. Kicked d car, came out, saw d brake light on, told myself, dats strange, went in, depressed d pedal, tried to engage d gear, NO WAY. Got a guy from Ado, He bled d brakes, it engaged, drove it to Ado, while drivin down, we noticed d 4 brakes were not returnin (as in held on to d disc after applyin d breaks, d mecho jst got it to ado, fixed d ignition, changed d master brake wit d servo, it worked. a day later tuk it to ado again, as i entered d town, it (d break pads) held down again. in anger I used my leg to lift up d pedal while in motion, I heard a cling sound, and d break pads lifted. they av not repeated such since den dou I still fear. at d moment, my break light is permanently switched on. d breaks work well dou.

In all dis, I noticed a spring beside d gear lever has a spring dat has failed. thus makin d gear nit to retirn properly. weneva I used my leg to raise back the brake pedal to normal height, I noticed movement on d cable which runs from under d brake switch to the gear box.

I also noticed oil (fat) in my radiator overflow. d mecho said d gasket might b weakening. I av flushed my cooling system waitin and watchin if d oils return.

I don almost maga.

Chairmen, Help oooo

My bbm pin is 7419D657
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Eyop: 1:00pm On Jul 21, 2014
jahjehova:

Ist had ish wit ignition kick on a friday in ilesa. D key dat drove it to work wouldn't turn, had it fixed but didnt install it cos of tym. by monday ish wit brake. Kicked d car, came out, saw d brake light on, told myself, dats strange, went in, depressed d pedal, tried to engage d gear, NO WAY. Got a guy from Ado, He bled d brakes, it engaged, drove it to Ado, while drivin down, we noticed d 4 brakes were not returnin (as in held on to d disc after applyin d breaks, d mecho jst got it to ado, fixed d ignition, changed d master brake wit d servo, it worked. a day later tuk it to ado again, as i entered d town, it (d break pads) held down again. in anger I used my leg to lift up d pedal while in motion, I heard a cling sound, and d break pads lifted. they av not repeated such since den dou I still fear. at d moment, my break light is permanently switched on. d breaks work well dou.

In all dis, I noticed a spring beside d gear lever has a spring dat has failed. thus makin d gear nit to retirn properly. weneva I used my leg to raise back the brake pedal to normal height, I noticed movement on d cable which runs from under d brake switch to the gear box.

I also noticed oil (fat) in my radiator overflow. d mecho said d gasket might b weakening. I av flushed my cooling system waitin and watchin if d oils return.

I don almost maga.

Chairmen, Help oooo

My bbm pin is 7419D657
Can't help but grin grin @ the bolded
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jul 21, 2014
brake light switch a good suspect here for the lights remaining on...

Only a few things normally account for brake lights staying on. One of the more common is a bad brake-light switch. If the contacts stick, the switch may continue supplying power to the lights, though it is released.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/243

oil in radiator overflow is not good at all......have you checked your engine oil refiller cap? Whats the color? also have your also gauged your transmission oil to check if it's the one leaking into the radiator? either of the two is not a good sign....BTW where is the car at present?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by jahjehova(m): 1:43pm On Jul 21, 2014
smartchoice: brake light switch a good suspect here for the lights remaining on...

Only a few things normally account for brake lights staying on. One of the more common is a bad brake-light switch. If the contacts stick, the switch may continue supplying power to the lights, though it is released.

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/243

oil in radiator overflow is not good at all......have you checked your engine oil refiller cap? Whats the color? also have your also gauged your transmission oil to check if it's the one leaking into the radiator? either of the two is not a good sign....BTW where is the car at present?

I must confess, I had a feeling my ATF was short. I opened d container and found out it was not full. Twas halfway. And den I tot, perhaps dats d normal guage. As U jst mentioned it, I'd check.

I'd also check the brake switch.

The car's in Oye-Ekiti
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 21, 2014
ATF for your transmission? wow....I hope not shocked

jahjehova:

I must confess, I had a feeling my ATF was short. I opened d container and found out it was not full. Twas halfway. And den I tot, perhaps dats d normal guage. As U jst mentioned it, I'd check.

I'd also check the brake switch.

The car's in Oye-Ekiti

(1) (2) (3) ... (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) ... (547) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.