Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,534 members, 7,827,000 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Mercedes Benz Thread - Car Talk (513) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mercedes Benz Thread (973065 Views)

Photo: Mercedes Benz Vs Audi / Mercedes Benz Releases Details On 9G Tronic Nine Speed Auto / The Life Cycle Of The Mercedes Benz ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) ... (547) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Manuella4ace: 7:36pm On May 23, 2023
Ymguitarz:

Where I'm confused is that it doesn't drain overnight.... Sometimes it's when I drive out and go to the filling station and I had to restart the vehicle that's when it will refuse to start... And some times when the car is on idle I will notice the rev will drop and the alternator battery sign will show up. I'll have to rev up for like 5 seconds till it charges up again and balance... I can leave the car for three days without starting it and the battery won't drain but the moment I start it and it is on idle I notice it drains, once I REV up it charges, and most of the times if I off the engine and try to start it up at that point it won't start, I'll have to jump start it

Your alternator is not charging well.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by nakoks(m): 8:18am On May 24, 2023
Djreloaded:
I haven't seen maintenance freaks? Lol. Okay...
There's no amount of maintenance that you'll do on an aging car; a mercedes for an example.

Worn out parts, too many electronics that are likely to fail with time.

Toyota, Honda, yes... But never all these German cars with their over engineered systems...

SOMETHING MUST ALWAYS FAIL NO MATTER HOW MAINTENANCE AWARE YOU ARE.

And when it does we fix it. The problems we fix on your so called modern cars are stories for another day. Every man with his kettle.

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Djreloaded(m): 8:37am On May 24, 2023
nakoks:

And when it does we fix it. The problems we fix on your so called modern cars are stories for another day. Every man with his kettle.
Yeah, after every 2 weeks.
Money pits.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Ymguitarz: 9:05am On May 24, 2023
Manuella4ace:

Your alternator is not charging well.

Thanks boss I've figured it out this morning. I figured out that the socked at the back of the alternator is detached already. So I've connected it back and it's now working perfectly. Thanks for all the contributions

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Jamal64: 10:18pm On May 25, 2023
I use a C300 2010, noticed that when I step on brake when I climb high bump or even on a flat road and I try to accelerate the car wouldn’t move and act like it’s on neutral even when the instrument cluster shows drive and the gear is also on drive.

If I put of the ignition and put it on again , then drive it works.

I had happened to me twice now in the space of 3 months. What can be the issue & possible fixes.

Transmission has been serviced and gear oil isn’t oil.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Ymguitarz: 12:49am On May 26, 2023
Jamal64:
I use a C300 2010, noticed that when I step on brake when I climb high bump or even on a flat road and I try to accelerate the car wouldn’t move and act like it’s on neutral even when the instrument cluster shows drive and the gear is also on drive.

I had happened to me twice now in the space of 3 months. What can be the issue & possible fixes.

It can be caused by few things... 1. The gear filter
2. The solenoid on the valve body in the gear.
3. The valve body itself.
4. which is the most likely culprit,its the VGS in the gear. Most of the time it's the VGS. But I suggest you run a full scan on the transmission before knowing which way to go.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Manuella4ace: 3:00pm On May 26, 2023
Jamal64:

Sometimes it might be you overfill the transmission oil or using the wrong oil
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by cbrass(m): 4:44am On May 27, 2023
Djreloaded:
And again, for that enormous V8, it's never a fuel guzzler.

A full tank takes me considerably long, although I got mine with the catalyst still intact.
The parts are fairly cheap unlike its 4matic counterparts.

Budget 60k for its oil change every 6 months.

8 liters of original Mobil 1 should do, alongside the OEM mercedes benz oil filter.

I rarely drive my 015 except on special occasions, and I've turned the 09 to a daily driver, as it's ever reliable.

I have an affinity for white cars, so choose a color that suits your preference.

Again,YOLO.

Thanks a lot for this update, I want to buy a Benz too but when you I some people's comments here I start to panic again, My plan is to get a c300 2008/2009 model (Naija use) Please what should i look out for? I love this CLS too.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Djreloaded(m): 6:08am On May 27, 2023
cbrass:

Thanks a lot for this update, I want to buy a Benz too but when you I some people's comments here I start to panic again, My plan is to get a c300 2008/2009 model (Naija use) Please what should i look out for? I love this CLS too.
Buying a Nigerian used benz without knowing its owners maintenance habits is a disaster.
Although, you can be lucky to get one in pristine condition - but that is difficult( not entirely impossible)

If you can afford it- get a tokunbo and have peace of mind.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by wazklin: 11:57am On May 27, 2023
Hello House

Having trouble with my 272 engine on a 203benz(c230) and I want to convert the engine to a 112 (12plug) V6 engine. This requires I change the engine and gear (direct tokumbo).
I want to ask, is there any defect that may occur after the conversation?
I'll have to also change the ECU. Someone told me that the car may not recognize computer device durng scanning when faults occur later on. Aside this which I've not confirmed, any issue that may arise?
Thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Asquare84(m): 1:12pm On May 27, 2023
Good day , how much is the cost of 2004 E320 engine. Mine short oil and smoke but still sound and move very well. My mechanic recommend o change engine, please who knows how much is the price of skeletal engine for 2004 E320.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by cbrass(m): 9:04pm On May 27, 2023
Djreloaded:
Buying a Nigerian used benz without knowing its owners maintenance habits is a disaster.
Although, you can be lucky to get one in pristine condition - but that is difficult( not entirely impossible)

Thanks a lot Sir,
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by KingAzubuike(f): 4:04pm On May 28, 2023
blackfm:
My baby is on the market, make me an offer north of 3.5
How much are you selling this?
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by blackfm: 10:05pm On May 28, 2023
KingAzubuike:

How much are you selling this?
Sold since. There is a registered direct 2014 C250 for 4.4m
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by blackfm: 10:13pm On May 28, 2023
cbrass:

Feel free to get your C300, i enjoyed mine before switching up to E class; there's nothing to fear. The usual suspects are linkage and lower arm, beside that you're good.
Have the registered one checked well, scan it, inspect underbody, run vin history, assess flood damage, look out for electrical bypass, sludge in engine, smoking exhaust etc. There are lots of good ones out there, do your due diligence and enjoy your car.
They're rugged, at least mine was
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by cbrass(m): 2:58am On May 29, 2023
blackfm:

Feel free to get your C300, i enjoyed mine before switching up to E class; there's nothing to fear. The usual suspects are linkage and lower arm, beside that you're good.
Have the registered one checked well, scan it, inspect underbody, run vin history, assess flood damage, look out for electrical bypass, sludge in engine, smoking exhaust etc. There are lots of good ones out there, do your due diligence and enjoy your car.
They're rugged, at least mine was

Thanks a lot, bro, I am a bit relieved now grin
I have written down all these things you mentioned.
Now one last thing, when I see a mileage of a car reading 120k plus, I lose interest because I have this mindset that the car is about to expire grin Should I be worried about that too?
Also, what do you think is the reasonable price range? I have been seeing some Naija use for like 3.5, 3.8, and 4Million.
And lastly, I read somewhere that upgraded Benz cars often develop electrical issues is this true?
Thanks a lot.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Djreloaded(m): 1:01pm On May 29, 2023
cbrass:

Now one last thing, when I see a mileage of a car reading 120k plus, I lose interest because I have this mindset that the car is about to expire grin Should I be worried about that too?
Also, what do you think is the reasonable price range? I have been seeing some Naija use for like 3.5, 3.8, and 4Million.
And lastly, I read somewhere that upgraded Benz cars often develop electrical issues is this true?
Thanks a lot.
i warned, but he didn't listen.

I'm not being a pessimistic brat, but Nigerians have weird maintenance culture; and German cars with truck loads of electricals is a time bomb to buy ( sourced locally)

It's a major pointer as to why most guys who drive Mercedes source here for it abroad, and ship down...
Sbs, Abs, Eps, coolant levels, tyre pressure don show you shege before?
I repeat - ABORT MISSION.

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by wazklin: 5:43pm On May 29, 2023
Any idea any one?

wazklin:
Hello House

Having trouble with my 272 engine on a 203benz(c230) and I want to convert the engine to a 112 (12plug) V6 engine. This requires I change the engine and gear (direct tokumbo).
I want to ask, is there any defect that may occur after the conversation?
I'll have to also change the ECU. Someone told me that the car may not recognize computer device durng scanning when faults occur later on. Aside this which I've not confirmed, any issue that may arise?
Thanks
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Ymguitarz: 6:38am On May 30, 2023
wazklin:
Any idea any one?

I've seen people doing it but my advise is if possible just sell the car and get the one that comes with the engine you want... All that conversion stuff... Hmmm...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ariesbull: 8:48pm On May 30, 2023
nakoks:

I drive an ML and trust me for the past 3 yrs 8 haven't changed anything a sort from oil and brakes
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ariesbull: 8:50pm On May 30, 2023
Djreloaded:

Lies

Once the body and interior is neat go for it

Highest You change engine Benz transmission no dey die

3 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by blackfm: 10:11pm On May 30, 2023
cbrass:

Thanks a lot.

I bought mine at 157k miles and sold it at 199k, it's all about how you use your car. An upgrade shouldnt affect electricals really since it's mostly plug and play. I ran a bit of DIY upgrades on mine and didn't have any electrical issues. A bad car is a bad car, go with one that hasn't been too tampered. I sold mine at 3.7m in February, no check light but ive also seen same car sold at 3.2 and 4m so I'd say around that range isn't bad. This is mine when I bought it registered vs when I sold.
Great deals come and go, just go with someone who knows their onion and don't buy based on just how it looks

4 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by blackfm: 10:20pm On May 30, 2023
Djreloaded:
i warned, but he didn't listen.

I'm not being a pessimistic brat, but Nigerians have weird maintenance culture; and German cars with truck loads of electricals is a time bomb to buy ( sourced locally)

It's a major pointer as to why most guys who drive Mercedes source here for it abroad, and ship down...
Sbs, Abs, Eps, coolant levels, tyre pressure don show you shege before?
I repeat - ABORT MISSION.
Granted, alot of people are terrible at maintenance but those cars aren't hard to fish out.
These things are straightforward to fix. If the gear, engine and AC havent been tampered, I'll bite. I installed TPMS in my old one, changed speed sensor to sort out ABS and I was good to go. Craziest part is the parts were cheap. They're rugged, ensure engine isn't smoking and read the DTC, it will actually speak to you. I went from an 05 corolla to the Merc and the experience was so unique that I don't want to drive another brand. Again, don't do it alone if you don't know your cars well, that's the key. Then consider the alternative, 2012 camry Is above that price for mediocre driving...God abeg

2 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by blackfm: 10:30pm On May 30, 2023
That said, this bad boy is available for 4.4m
Direct 2014, not upgraded
Registered 2014 C250

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Djreloaded(m): 3:25am On May 31, 2023
Yup. They'd say anything to sell their junk filled with money pits...

5 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Djreloaded(m): 3:29am On May 31, 2023
ariesbull:

Lies

Once the body and interior is neat go for it

Highest You change engine Benz transmission no dey die
Take this to the jokes section....

"Benz transmission no dey die"

Absolute clownery.
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by blackfm: 6:48am On May 31, 2023
Djreloaded:
Yup. They'd say anything to sell their junk filled with money pits...
Lol it sounds like a you problem at this point

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Djreloaded(m): 7:05am On May 31, 2023
blackfm:

False.
Buy older Japanese cars Nigerian used? No problems.
It'll take minimal efforts to restore back to factory settings, except you bought an over-abused lemon.

Buy a 15 year old German car (Nigerian used) is asking for problems, because something must fail. Why? They're over engineered unnecessarily, and an endless pocket drainer.

Example - I have an 09 cls550 and a 2015 cls500(sourced tokunbo) and it's been a smooth sail for 3 years or so...
An acquaintance has a 2010 variant (sourced locally) and it's been problematic regularly and endless repairs.

Of course they're good Nigerian used Mercedes Benz cars, but for cars that are 15 years old? That's like finding a needle in a haystack...
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ariesbull: 7:27am On May 31, 2023
Djreloaded:

Absolute clownery.
oga I am not here to argue with you ....I started with Japanese and I knew what I saw

I have driven Benz for over 7 yrs and this is my second Benz and I am buying the third....I started with C class the first model now I drive an ML Benz

There is what is called emergency mode in Benz ...it is mechanism that Benz puts in car to protect the gear.

If the oil is down the car will enter emergency mode and it will not select until it is changed

Also my ML Benz can't overheat cos apart from the temperature there is a sensor that is in the radiator that neeps once the water level is down

I take my ride for mechanics these years I have driven Benz ...it is rare ,in short I haven't seen a Benz owner changing gears or transmissions

This is my over 7th year of driving two Benz,I know that you are Japanese guys

Oga I am not here to argue with you ..I talk from experience...either you argue or you believe! I am still going to buy another Benz ...this time and E Klasse

6 Likes

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ariesbull: 7:28am On May 31, 2023
Djreloaded:

Absolute clownery.
Djreloaded:

Absolute clownery.
oga I am not here to argue with you ....I started with Japanese and I knew what I saw

I have driven Benz for over 7 yrs and this is my second Benz and I am buying the third....I started with C class the first model now I drive an ML Benz

There is what is called emergency mode in Benz ...it is mechanism that Benz puts in car to protect the gear.

If the oil is down the car will enter emergency mode and it will not select until it is changed

Also my ML Benz can't overheat cos apart from the temperature there is a sensor that is in the radiator that neeps once the water level is down

I take my ride for mechanics these years I have driven Benz ...it is rare ,in short I haven't seen a Benz owner changing gears or transmissions

Oga I am not here to argue with you ..I talk from experience...either you argue or you believe! I am still going to buy another Benz ...this time and E Klasse
Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by ariesbull: 7:29am On May 31, 2023
blackfm:

dude has a complex problem trust me

He hates Benz yet lurk around Benz thread

1 Like

Re: Mercedes Benz Thread by Djreloaded(m): 8:11am On May 31, 2023
ariesbull:

With all these over-exaggerating features, one would think they're number 1 in reliability overall.

I'm a Japanese guy? I'm not even blowing my trumpet, but I can comfortably buy the latest mercedes benz Arsenal without breaking a sweat.

Again- BUYING A 15 YEAR OLD NIGERIAN USED BENZ IS A SENSELESS MONEY PIT GUZZLING VENTURE.
Make of it as you may...

Before you yap senseless opinions - I own two mercedes benz cars.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (510) (511) (512) (513) (514) (515) (516) ... (547) (Reply)

Nasty effects of road accidents (caution very graphic and potentially offensive images)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.